Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Full Closet Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for outfit enthusiasts to share their ideas, creations, and tips for making avatars. 

Tags: avatars, outfits, closet, items, design 

Reply The Full Closet Guild
Thoughts on the Fashion Fray Event -- Halloween 2019

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fashion Fray Participant?
  Yes, indeed!
  No, I declined.
  Poll Gold for me
View Results

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 am
I am quoting an81angel to perhaps give an explaination as to why this Halloween event might not seem to live up to past Halloween events. At the time of this writing, I had not participated in the Fashion Fray game, myself. But after reading an81angel's response to this submission topic -- her opinion on why the Halloween 2019 Event could have been developed, I changed my mind to try this Fashion Fray game, and give it a chance. (This opening statement has been edited from it's original form.)

an81angel
To all the people of this thread that are confused/frustrated by the Halloween event, I want to point out a couple of things.

This game while not specifically themed for Halloween, is actually a TEST RUN for a future game addition to Gaia. It is based on the very popular Mobile App game Love Nikki. Which is a Dress Up Challenger game - each piece of clothing has a value and scores you points to win levels and items. Many Gaian's have been asking for a Love Nikki type dress up battle game for a while now.

With the loss of Flash based games at the end of this year, Gaia needs to have a new game strategy. They will be losing a lot of there existing games, and need something new to replace it. This is a test to see how people respond to this new game. It will be an optional part a Gaia just like all the other games (LK/Towns/zOMG) so it's not the end of the world if you don't like it.

It's currently in a test format, which is why the number of items usable is limited. Once the Gaia Devs decide if this is the direction they want to go, YES they will eventually convert all current and future dress up items to have a point value. Your current wardrobe limitations will disappear and you may eventually like the game down the road.

Where's all the Halloween goodies? Well, since the launch of this new game was filled with bugs, I am guessing that the new Halloween 2019 items are going to be unveiled later on (if they did indeed make new items - I am hoping they did).

I know you are unhappy that there isn't a clear Halloween Theme, so am I. I love there Halloween events/items and am very sad that it's so different this year. However, I am excited to see this new Love Gaia game become fully functioning.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am
Voice of Social Culture
I am quoting an81angel to explain why this Halloween event does not seem to live up to past Halloween events. I have not participated in the Fashion Fray game, myself. And after learning the truth behind how and why the Halloween 2019 Event was developed, I have no inclination to do so.

For the sake of Full Disclosure, the quote you are using is just my opinion based on my experiences playing Gaia & Love Nikki. The limitations seen in the production value of the game Fashion Fray are why my theory seems so legitimate. However, I have no insider knowledge into the Gaia Online Company. As such, my opinion based theory could be proven false/true by an employee in the future.

I'm sorry that you don't plan to play the event. I personally am happy that Gaia finally decided to use their vast closet in a fashion battle. It has the potential to give Gaian's more to do with their wardrobe.  

an81angel

Loved Lunatic

32,740 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Love Machine 150

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:51 am
an81angel
Voice of Social Culture
I am quoting an81angel to explain why this Halloween event does not seem to live up to past Halloween events. I have not participated in the Fashion Fray game, myself. And after learning the truth behind how and why the Halloween 2019 Event was developed, I have no inclination to do so.

For the sake of Full Disclosure, the quote you are using is just my opinion based on my experiences playing Gaia & Love Nikki. The limitations seen in the production value of the game Fashion Fray are why my theory seems so legitimate. However, I have no insider knowledge into the Gaia Online Company. As such, my opinion based theory could be proven false/true by an employee in the future.

I'm sorry that you don't plan to play the event. I personally am happy that Gaia finally decided to use their vast closet in a fashion battle. It has the potential to give Gaian's more to do with their wardrobe.

Thank you for your honesty, an81angel. I didn't mean to take your quote out of context.
And even though I had decided not to enter into the Fashion Fray,
I decided to give it a try, anyway, and suceeded with the following score:

User Image

User Image

I wouldn't say that this particular avatar was one of my best, but it got me into the running. (sure. Fit for running away.) xD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:55 am
So, this morning before I roused myself from bed, I began thinking of a cool Fashion Fray costume that I wanted to try. Since I already had two parts of the green Squid costume in my inventory, and two mantis masks taking up space, I thought I could mash these together, along with my MANtis pal to make a Fashion Fray presence that was truly legendary! How wrong I was! (from the point of view of scoring, that is!) Rina told me that my Mantis-Squid was not cute enough. cat_surprised

User Image

User Image

Well, I think this costume attempt was an improvement over my first one, even if it lacked the Fashion Fray points. xD

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:25 pm
User Image

So, with it being November 6, and many Gaians playing Fashion Fray and winning -- I wanted to post, here, that I have been playing this game all wrong. Instead of designing a Halloween avatar with any sort of imagination or creativity, the object of Fashion Fray is to follow a set formula to equip certain items to achieve the highest score. You might as well call this Alchemy for Muggles.

Here are links to two Fashion Fray guides to give eager Gaians the satisfaction of getting this year's Halloween 2019 Achievement.

100% Every stage- Here's how I did it (Event Tips and Tricks)

~ Smol Guide Inside ~ Got 3 stars in everything so far!

Empress Ekko is the hostess of the second guide, and let's take a visual peek at a formula in her thread:

User Image

There have been two suggestions on how to collect the required Halloween items
1. More Starter Packs-- use several mule accounts to collect duplicate item starter packs from the Fashion Fray bulletin on Gaia's home page, and trade the required items to the account which is playing the game.

2. Pay and Play -- if you can afford it, just buy enough copies of the needed duplicate items from the Marketplace, so you can win your chosen level.

I have enough Gaia accounts to use Strategy 1 -- More Starter Packs but I don't care enough to initiate the Formula to Win.

As Rina remarked, I've become sour to the sweetness of this game, even with the winning formulae within my grasp. And I'm fine with that. Just let me be the Mantis-Squid that I've meant to be. xD

Kudos, ~VSC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 am
Personally I dont like it. I participated in a few levels but i dont like how its trying to be Love Nikki, I feel if they were going to try and execute it in that sense then every item should work not just select few items. I'll take my invo for example: I have well over 2000 items yet only 5 work and it blows my mind

I also feel that the game really isnt interactive nor the rewards great enough. Like i dont want trash items from past halloween events like at least give me a cool rig if anything. This event is also very subpar compared to past events, I much rather dealt with like a forum battle where we pick a side or all of us against Jack and we have to post in forums to gain energy to throw at him or even I'd rather a halloween gold sink where depending on how much you sink the more rare/exclusive the reward you get. At least if it were forum based everyone could participate and site activity would sky rocket.  

Ms_Midnight_Killer
Vice Captain

Demonic Bloodsucker

35,950 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Knox Artois

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 pm
One of my biggest gripes is what Midnight above said; of aaaaall these fantastic items, only a handful are part of the game? I understand that going through by hand and assigning those categories to each item would be time consuming (assuming that's what they're doing), but couldn't they just have the categories randomly assigned?
It's not like the current assignments make sense anyway; cool looking items are assigned as 'cute' instead of 'street' or 'fearsome,' nice but totally normal items are assigned 'avant garde,' etc. If they just made a system where they took a large(er than right now) chunk of items, set parameters that there must be an equal number of all the categories/mix of two categories, and a smaller portion be B and A levels, it would be much more fun. Then we could actually make outfits that were more our style, that were more fun to make than just throwing random things together based on coloured dots, and also that ACTUALLY MATCHED.

But fine. That major issue aside, I was actually otherwise fine with this game at first. Once I actually got the 'starter pack' and used those items, it was...fine? I've never played any mobile games like the love nikki thing, so this is my first time with this concept, and its enjoyable enough. And at first, the whole 'earn rewards by making a rank!' thing was a nice hook.

So I made C rank, that's fine, not too shabby, looking forward to the rewards for my semi-hard work. Got the C-Rank pack in my invo today, opened it - reward ribbon, cute; something else, wtv; and a pack for 5,000 Halloween plat...
Now, unless I just completely missed something, nowhere on the description of the item or in the game or even on the official post in the game forum does it say that this pack for 'halloween plat' is a chance item. It says bugger-all about that in any of the more obvious stuff about the game, so either they hid that fact somewhere, or they just expect people to know this.
So I open this VERY CLEARLY MARKED 5000 plat reward....and it gave me 1 platinum.

F*ck this game.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 am
Knox Artois
One of my biggest gripes is what Midnight above said; of aaaaall these fantastic items, only a handful are part of the game? I understand that going through by hand and assigning those categories to each item would be time consuming (assuming that's what they're doing), but couldn't they just have the categories randomly assigned?
It's not like the current assignments make sense anyway; cool looking items are assigned as 'cute' instead of 'street' or 'fearsome,' nice but totally normal items are assigned 'avant garde,' etc. If they just made a system where they took a large(er than right now) chunk of items, set parameters that there must be an equal number of all the categories/mix of two categories, and a smaller portion be B and A levels, it would be much more fun. Then we could actually make outfits that were more our style, that were more fun to make than just throwing random things together based on coloured dots, and also that ACTUALLY MATCHED.

But fine. That major issue aside, I was actually otherwise fine with this game at first. Once I actually got the 'starter pack' and used those items, it was...fine? I've never played any mobile games like the love nikki thing, so this is my first time with this concept, and its enjoyable enough. And at first, the whole 'earn rewards by making a rank!' thing was a nice hook.

So I made C rank, that's fine, not too shabby, looking forward to the rewards for my semi-hard work. Got the C-Rank pack in my invo today, opened it - reward ribbon, cute; something else, wtv; and a pack for 5,000 Halloween plat...
Now, unless I just completely missed something, nowhere on the description of the item or in the game or even on the official post in the game forum does it say that this pack for 'halloween plat' is a chance item. It says bugger-all about that in any of the more obvious stuff about the game, so either they hid that fact somewhere, or they just expect people to know this.
So I open this VERY CLEARLY MARKED 5000 plat reward....and it gave me 1 platinum.

F*ck this game.

Definitely, man.
I'm still wearing my current avatar in protest of Fashion Fray. I don't think that the Gaian admins. fully realized how much the Gaian community look forward to the events on Gaia -- and then to fowl up this year's Halloween event so badly was pure misery.

Here is a quote by 5DMxyzptlk that I would like to share: " This Halloween was sadness dressed in Street style, wrapped in confusion, and buried in a double-locked coffin."

To lighten this comment just a little, I would like to present a little friend of mine who appreciates my sense of style~

User Image

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Knox Artois

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 am
Voice of Social Culture

Lol, it's a really good halloween avatar, at least, even if this silly event can't see that.

And yeah, I always look forward to the events, as well. I'm not a huge fan of any of the regular games on here, save for Runway, so these event games are always cute and fun little treats (well, almost always). And, greedy as this may sound, if the event is offering nice rewards, I definitely look forward to it. So yeah, like you said, this whole thing was pure misery.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am
Knox Artois
Voice of Social Culture

Lol, it's a really good halloween avatar, at least, even if this silly event can't see that.

And yeah, I always look forward to the events, as well. I'm not a huge fan of any of the regular games on here, save for Runway, so these event games are always cute and fun little treats (well, almost always). And, greedy as this may sound, if the event is offering nice rewards, I definitely look forward to it. So yeah, like you said, this whole thing was pure misery.

I finally changed out of my Squidly-Mantis avi, but it has got to be one of my all-time favorites.

User Image

So, if this event had to leave a bad taste in your mouth -- at least my avatar memories are gourmet-gorgeous! xD

Voice of Social Culture
Vice Captain

Naughty Rogue

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100
The Full Closet Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers