Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Blue sword fighting Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I'm Blue
  and so is my arm.
View Results

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:33 am
Earlier tonight I posted in the bar about being bored. Well, I was outside of my house and all of a sudden I heard sticks being hit against each other. Well I went over to see what was going on and there were people kendo fighting in the park. Intrigued I started watching them at first. One of them invited me over and I fought. First time I got too tired to keep going but the second time I won the match. It was awesome.

Discuss
Sword fighting
staying up late
Drinking some Heiniken. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:45 am
lol check my profile...
I also use to do chanbara and came out best in the state of KY...but thats in the past I mostly teach haidong kumdo as my part time job, since I am a blackbelt in the WHGF.  

wolfpriest101

Sakura-Kyoukan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:39 am
guns>swords =P  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:16 am
User ImageA sigh came out and that emotion that was transparent and glittering

Uh, lucky.. we don't have a Kendo club here D:
Kendo ownz..

that was my first choice.. a little impractical though, which is why I went with Nihon Goshin Aikido 3nodding very good self defense.. and also my sensei he is the highest ranking, most respected member of the association xd

was inlaid in my chest like a jewel and in the magic of the space-timeUser Image

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

Metroid_Hybrid

3,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:45 am
I study an anti kendo of sorts. It's actually a modified form of African Spear/stick fighting. It's funny though because we use shinais for sparring purposes.

We've got videos up on mySpace, search for Kumasi.
What's up now isn't too fancy (it wasn't made that way smile )but we're hoping to get some more/better vids up soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 pm
lol kendo looks like fun, but i also question its practicality xd i'd like to give it a bash though. As for aikido, well the demos i have seen are pretty shocking so i've been put off it a bit. But i'm biased since i'm going for black belt in shorinji kempo tomorrow, so of course i would say that SK is the better martial art mrgreen  

Iconised Ghost

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:28 pm
Iconised Ghost
lol kendo looks like fun, but i also question its practicality xd i'd like to give it a bash though. As for aikido, well the demos i have seen are pretty shocking so i've been put off it a bit. But i'm biased since i'm going for black belt in shorinji kempo tomorrow, so of course i would say that SK is the better martial art mrgreen
User ImageBoys and girls of every age...

Of course. Most people who only have a little experience in a one/ or a few martial arts usually will say that whatever style they study is best. It would be a bit more correct in saying that thats the best style for yourself.. since not all styles are right for all people but that doesn't make any one better than another. I can just imagine myself trying to train in Tae Kwon Do.. not only do I find it to showy and impractical in many ways, I can't imagine striking that much.. I'm very passive and meek xd I much prefer joint locks, throws and breaks.. I only strike if I have to lol

...Come with us and you will see this, our town of Halloween
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 pm
chianachan
Iconised Ghost

Of course. Most people who only have a little experience in a one/ or a few martial arts usually will say that whatever style they study is best. It would be a bit more correct in saying that thats the best style for yourself.. since not all styles are right for all people but that doesn't make any one better than another. I can just imagine myself trying to train in Tae Kwon Do.. not only do I find it to showy and impractical in many ways, I can't imagine striking that much.. I'm very passive and meek xd I much prefer joint locks, throws and breaks.. I only strike if I have to lol

User Image

yes thats very true. Lol, it sounds like Shorinji Kempo would suit u too, if u were looking for something, focusing on nerve points, throws, and working on the principle that you never start conflicts xd and apart from that, its just plain old good fun  

Iconised Ghost

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm
Iconised Ghost
chianachan
Iconised Ghost

User Image

yes thats very true. Lol, it sounds like Shorinji Kempo would suit u too, if u were looking for something, focusing on nerve points, throws, and working on the principle that you never start conflicts xd and apart from that, its just plain old good fun

Indeed, it sounds very similar to Aikido, at least the principles.. accept maybe no ki? xD

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:13 pm
cant beat good old fashioned Judo...or Hapkido...

I'm a black in Judo only a Green Belt in Hapkido I train under Hwang a silver medalist in the Olympics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwang_Jung-Oh

Yep I'm His Little Prodigy, I train for 4-6hrs everyday of every week everyday under his instruction for the following martial arts:
Kendo
Haidong Kumdo
Judo
Hapkido
MMA
XMA
Aikido
TKD
and my personal favorite...
Iaidō

I have personally traveled all over Asia i've been to Japan, Korea, and China and have competed in tournaments there, and during my travels the best martial arts I have seen has to be Muay Thai, those people are beasts for taking and dishing out punishment.

In ze future I wish to learn these practices:
Kyūdō
Okinawan kobudō
Battōjutsu
Kenpō
Wing Chun
and...
Jujutsu  

wolfpriest101

Metroid_Hybrid

3,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:58 pm
Hey wolf priest!

On you or your master's travels have you ever came across the name Henry Cook, or perhaps Sifu Cook? Wing Chun GrandMaster, founder of Fai Kuen Shuck?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 pm
Metroid_Hybrid
Hey wolf priest!

On you or your master's travels have you ever came across the name Henry Cook, or perhaps Sifu Cook? Wing Chun GrandMaster, founder of Fai Kuen Shuck?

I do belive i've heard that name before can you tell me more about the person because I have meet quite a few people!  

wolfpriest101

HellKnight Azrael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm
Oh man i am so a Kendoka! i wish i was taking a kendo class but right now it's only use is for beating on my little brother with xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:32 pm
chianachan
Iconised Ghost
chianachan
Iconised Ghost

User Image

Indeed, it sounds very similar to Aikido, at least the principles.. accept maybe no ki? xD

User Image

its not really very similar, but it kinda borrows aspects from lots of martial arts. It also has techniques designed especially to combat those arts, like aikido throws 3nodding im not sure what you mean about no ki? We have ki. If we didnt, we'd be dead right? Or at least kinda zombie-ish  

Iconised Ghost

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:01 pm
Iconised Ghost

its not really very similar, but it kinda borrows aspects from lots of martial arts. It also has techniques designed especially to combat those arts, like aikido throws 3nodding im not sure what you mean about no ki? We have ki. If we didnt, we'd be dead right? Or at least kinda zombie-ish

lol I know that did sound kinda stupid.. we do ki exercises several times a week, and really, really emphasize it.. well, it is aikido, not aido..
We do quite a few throws, but mainly nerve points and locks.. but the first thing we do is blend with the attack, or avoid it. Then technique and attacks are punishment, but they aren't necessarily what an aikidoka should be thinking about..

User Image
User Image  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items