Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Glory Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

^^
  :(
View Results

Midori Hayashi
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:32 pm
Ok, so we are studying the American Civil War in Social Studies. I am a very emotional person, being that I cry easily. I can read sad stuff, but not watch it. My therapist and parents actually have to approve of what I watch so.......well......you don't want to know what happened last time I watched something bad for me. sweatdrop

As a Christmas treat, we were watching the movie Glory. it is rated R, and I have never seen a rated R movie. They didn't tell us either. For those of you who don't know about this movie, here is a Wikipedia link:

Glory

Being me, I was very upset. I am white, but my cousin is black and I just still cannot understand how people could be so racist. There was so much gore too, and grown men were sobbing. I was crying silently, but my friend was bawling. We only watched the first half too. I am not going to school for that class tomorrow, because of the effect it had on me today.

Now, I did not make this topic so people can say "Suck it up, movies are sad and people are terrible. That was the past." No. I made it, so you can share your views on the movie. If you haven't seen it...uhhh...I guess you can just add your own comments.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 pm
Their commanding officer in the film was a great leader.

I especially liked how he cut ALL of their pay and not just the blacks', I have several black friends and I just don't tolerate racism going on around me. If I see it happening, I make it stop.

Glory is one of my favorite movies to date.  

HellKnight Azrael

Midori Hayashi
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:44 pm
Mephistopheles Incarnate
Their commanding officer in the film was a great leader.

I especially liked how he cut ALL of their pay and not just the blacks', I have several black friends and I just don't tolerate racism going on around me. If I see it happening, I make it stop.

Glory is one of my favorite movies to date.

Well I'm glad somebody enjoyed it.

I did think it was wonderful how he cut the pay for all of them. Yeah, my best friends are black and I hate racism. That is why Martin Luther King Jr. gave his life. So blacks could be free of racism. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:20 pm
Great movie, not completely historically accurate, but great nonetheless. It's only minor things that happened at the end that cause it to not be completely true.

But yeah, I pretty much have to say that you're really missing out on a great movie by not going to the class.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:23 pm
I haven't seen it, but if it's really sad I might not watch it by myself. Sad movies are hard for me to watch, too. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:39 pm
MissMunchieMonster
I haven't seen it, but if it's really sad I might not watch it by myself. Sad movies are hard for me to watch, too. sad

Exactly the same for me. 3nodding

@[Tsukasa567]
As for the whole 'missing out' part, I think I am good for now. wink I love reading, and have read a lot about it. They like, have obsessed over it this whole semester. I just don't like watching it. It is nonetheless, a great movie I am sure. Just sad.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

Lily the Pink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 pm
Wow. What school do you go to? Your teacher can get into deep trouble for showing you guys an R-rated movie without your parents' permission.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:26 pm
Lily the Pink
Wow. What school do you go to? Your teacher can get into deep trouble for showing you guys an R-rated movie without your parents' permission.
Not really, I mean, if the school board has approved the movie, then they can show it to you, or that's always been my understanding of how it worked. Granted, not many R-rated movies ever pass through, but occassionally there are some that do get approved.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Haha6977

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:47 pm
bah. I loved that movie. and I watched that movie in school myself. granted, it isn't quite historically accurate, but it is inspirational, I think. Yes, it is sad, but it is also a movie about hope as well. These men fought for what they believed in. And these men fought so that all races in America could be free, not just whitey. I've never been racist, as growing up, before I left my mother, she was with a black man for most of my life. She still is. But I have seen it as well. Racisim to me is just another way for people to justify hate in their lives. In any case, Glory is a great movie to see. Granted, it is rated R, granted it is sad, and gory. But if you look past that, you can see it is a inspirational movie meant to show what these men went through for their beliefs.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:34 am
My school is just a regular school. I guess they approved of it by the schoolboard because it is about the Civil War...*shrugs*

I think the saddest part, is that they were fighting for the right to die. If you really think about it, that's all they were doing. They wanted to prove they could fight, which also meant they could die of their own free will.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

Haha6977

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:25 am
true, but in retrospect, if they didn't fight for the right to die, I don't really think that America would be the same today either. I wish you luck on getting your emotions under control in the future. I realize that it is a hard road, being a emotionally driven person myself. *hugs* But it'll be alright.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:04 pm
ANYONE WANT AVVIE ART??
or, if they want to get rid of the dark dragon item, i'm open for that too....  

raining-sin

Midori Hayashi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:28 pm
raining-sin
ANYONE WANT AVVIE ART??
or, if they want to get rid of the dark dragon item, i'm open for that too....

How rude. scream Please do not spam my thread, especially on Christmas Eve. Go do that in the Spamalot forum. Yeesh...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:54 pm
Poor Midori. There, There. It'll be alright. pay no mind to the inconsiderate n00b in the corner over there. *hugs* everything will be just fine.  

Haha6977

Tekentai

Friendly Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:12 pm
That movie was very inspiring. The way commander trusted his troops and how they trusted him even though he was white, anyways, the movie was really great. 10/10!  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff