Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Holocaust T_T Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jews?
  Great People!
View Results

Midori Hayashi
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 pm
One of my friends is half Jewish, so I feel for him. We watched a Holocaust movie today, showing what happened to Anne Frank after she got to the Concentration Camps. It was horrible. I have also seen the Devil's Arithmetic, but this was worse.
I know how bad that time was, and I don't mind so much reading about it, but hearing the screams, and seeing the pain and suffering just brings me to tears. When they showed the naked woman getting their hair cut off, this kid started laughing because, "Oh look! Naked woman!!" I about hit him for it. (my friend actually did) Every girl was crying, and some boys were looking quite depressed. This all happened because of one little maniac man.
Some of you may remember my topic about the movie Glory and how I freaked out because of that. I did not handle this movie well either.
My teacher's husband's grandma lived through the Holocaust, and she told my teacher plenty of stories to make us cry.

Discuss:
Personal Holocaust Experiences
Info on Holocaust
What makes you Cry
Anne Frank

P.S.: Please no stupid jokes or spam, as this is a very heartfelt topic to many people.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:34 pm
Hitler didnt do it all on his own you know, he had help

I hate really violent, sadistic kinds of movies. It really frightens me when people are tortured, kidnapped, executed, all that stuff  

Iconised Ghost

Midori Hayashi
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm
Iconised Ghost
Hitler didnt do it all on his own you know, he had help

I hate really violent, sadistic kinds of movies. It really frightens me when people are tortured, kidnapped, executed, all that stuff

I know that, but he was one of the main causes.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:53 pm
It wasn't just the Jews, either. Gypsies, gays, the "differently-abled," I think Russians too, plus other groups I can't remember...pretty much everyone who didn't fit his view of the ideal human. Not to mention people who didn't agree with his view of the ideal human. And I remember reading something about sexual mutilations, medical experiments of "questionable" ethics, and forced sterilizations, too. Yeah. Overall, not a pleasant part of history, to say the very least 0.o

I remember having to watch a movie about the Holocaust when I was in school, too. I cried. It's one thing to see dead bodies in movies when they're fake, but real bodies in movies...0.0  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:02 pm
schindler's list is a good one to watch.

its quite tragic, but its done in a tasteful kinda way.

the holocaust was a terrible thing, and i think its good that there are movies of it so that we never, EVER forget that such a terrible thing happened.

one of the great horrors to me is that america KNEW this s**t was going down but refused to get involved until pearl harbor was attacked. ((of course, the fact that we knew didn't come out for several years after the fact. government must've been SOOO much easier for bastards to run back before we had such dedicated media.))

now, if only people would realize that genocides are STILL GOING ON in countries we don't want to have to deal with...but then, oh yeah, i forgot. no one from darfur has bombed america yet.

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:07 pm
He also kidnapped children from the countries he conquered that fit the Aryan attributes,saying that the countries he conquered could not have been blessed enough to have birthed members of the"master race"and that they were originally from Germany....man Hitler was nucking futs.  

Number Xlll

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 pm
Let's see...

Lyss has seen 'Playing for Time,' and read 'Night.' Currently, she's doing a project on genocide.

Hitler and his crones did steal children. Basically from the Netherlands, where the women had the qualities that Hitler wanted. What Lyss finds kind of funny is that Hitler's girlfriend, Eva, went around to the other women within Hitler's group saying that she was Mrs. Hitler, and when the suicides came the next day, the first to die were the pets and children, then the women, then Hitler's close friends, then Mrs. Hitler, and then Hitler himself.

Stalin and Lenin were other paranoid megalomaniacs who killed people, but it was mostly Stalin who killed most of the Russians (about 60 million.)

Lyss's dad has a Hilter Youth belt somewhere from her great grandfather.

Lyss likes Elie Wiesel more than Anne Frank. Lyss read 'Anne Frank's Diary' too many times in school.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 am
Yeah, our text book says they counted over 55 million deaths, but then you add the bodys that were never found...and that's just too much to believe, yet we know it happened.
It bothers me a helluva lot too that the USA didn't step in sooner.
Hitler hated all non-Germans. He should have killed himself first, because he is Austrian.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 am
bluegrass cat
schindler's list is a good one to watch.

its quite tragic, but its done in a tasteful kinda way.

the holocaust was a terrible thing, and i think its good that there are movies of it so that we never, EVER forget that such a terrible thing happened.

one of the great horrors to me is that america KNEW this s**t was going down but refused to get involved until pearl harbor was attacked. ((of course, the fact that we knew didn't come out for several years after the fact. government must've been SOOO much easier for bastards to run back before we had such dedicated media.))

now, if only people would realize that genocides are STILL GOING ON in countries we don't want to have to deal with...but then, oh yeah, i forgot. no one from darfur has bombed america yet.

rolleyes

Yes, that, and there's no prospect of oil or profit in going to Darfur. America has become a very "what's in it for us?" country.

But I digress. The summer after my sophomore year of high school I visited Austria and we went to one of the smaller concentration camps...Mauthausen, I think...? I'm not the best at spelling/remembering German words. Anyway, we saw the mass graveyard, the bunk houses where they stacked three people to a very small mattress-less bed, gas chambers, ovens, walls still smeared with blood even now. And plenty of photographs of starving, dying, tortured people. A lot of people cried, and there were of course some assholes with the nerve to crack jokes and laugh about it. Actually, many of those assholes were girls. Just goes to show guys aren't ALWAYS the insensitive ones.

I couldn't really bring myself to cry, but I definitely didn't laugh about it either. I'm not sure why I couldn't cry, I did feel sad about it. I think being so far away from home, with mostly people I didn't know very well, and just generally being a desensitized were all factors.

We also took the "death march" that all the Jews/minorities had to walk, minus the beatings, getting shot, and rocks on our backs, of course. But there was a makeshift staircase that I have no idea how one would be expected to walk on when you're already exhausted and worn (with extra weight to carry). Rather than being 90 degree angled steps like a normal staircase, the steps slanted up so that you had to walk on your heels...it was hard enough for a healthy person carrying nothing to walk on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm
Never happened, at least not if you live in Iran that it. ninja  

tsukasa_the_quiet

FangzV

Toothsome Voter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:12 pm
Another thread by Midori relating to something I'm doing. (Are you like, my clone or somethin?)

But seriously.

In reading, we're learning about the Holocaust since we were reading Hana's Suitcase, a true story about a Jew in the Holocaust.

Learning about the Holocaust provokes my thoughts a lot. I found myself writing more for responsed to Holocaust related questions with great detail and everything about how these people suffered and we read so many depressing things. We even had a Holocaust survivor come and tell us about his experiences. He came very close to dying. If he hadn't made a comotion, they would've put him on a train to a Concentration Camp with no survivors.
It all depresses me.

We too watched a video. But it didn't show so much of the suffering of the Jews. It focused more on the experiences of a Nazi who isn't really a bad person.

But still, this all just is so much. We watched a different video and it was all readings from the diaries of Jews.
There's one in particular that sticks out to me.
It's about a boy and his sister who were in the Holocaust. They went through so many hard times and looked out for eachother. But then one day, the brother and their cousin were put on a train with many other people. I believe it was to a Concentration Camp, but I can't be sure. The video was a while ago but I do know that the girl never saw either of them again.
I remember one specific part when the brother is leaving.
The girl gets close to the train and before the train leaves, she briefly holds her brother's hand.
It made me think.
What would I do if that were me and my brother?

In all honesty, it was hard to keep from shedding a tear but I did.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm
I am greatly disturbed by acts of genocide and human torture. I'll admit, though, that I'm fascinated by it. I enjoy watching movies that touch on such subjects so I can get a feel of terror and sorrow. It lets my mind think and wonder about how a human could commit such acts of evil. I finished off global affairs a few weeks ago and was intrigued by human rights abuses. Child soilders, trafficing, and female genital mutilation were my favorite topics, as they were the most sensative. I believe in my writings I will be touching on such issues.

As for crying goes, I'm pretty sure Hotel Rwanda did it.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:30 pm
Sheer_Immortal
It wasn't just the Jews, either. Gypsies, gays, the "differently-abled," I think Russians too, plus other groups I can't remember...pretty much everyone who didn't fit his view of the ideal human. Not to mention people who didn't agree with his view of the ideal human. And I remember reading something about sexual mutilations, medical experiments of "questionable" ethics, and forced sterilizations, too. Yeah. Overall, not a pleasant part of history, to say the very least 0.o

I remember having to watch a movie about the Holocaust when I was in school, too. I cried. It's one thing to see dead bodies in movies when they're fake, but real bodies in movies...0.0

Questionable ethics is a bit of an understatement. The Nazi's tried to make conjoined twins by sewing twins together. They also tested how low body temperature could drop before people died. And they infected people with numerous diseases to test different treatments. The questionable thing about their ethics is whether they actually had any recognisable ones  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 pm
You have to learn this stuff. Soooooo why cry about history?  

angel_half82
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:03 pm
angel_half82
You have to learn this stuff. Soooooo why cry about history?

Because its sad?  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces