Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
uhm.... having some dog problems.. or at least my dad is.. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

yum yum....
  D: ..... No. Just no.
View Results

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 pm
Im not sure If any of you guys are dog smart but I thought Id ask here to just in case

heres the story...

My Dads dog Shiloh likes to eat poop. Not only does he eat his own poop but he will eat the poop of other dogs! When my dad took Shiloh to the vet he told him about this strange behavior and the vet told my dad that eating poop is potentiality very harmful. He told him to try switching Shiloh's food and try to keep the yard as clean as he could. So my Dad went home and changed the food and tried to keep the yard clean but Shiloh's passion for his stinky delicacy did not stop. So my Dad has turned to me and sent me on a mission to scour the internetz for answers which leads me to my question to you guys.

do any of you know how to make Shiloh stop eating s**t?! -__-;;  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:21 pm
My friend's dog has the same issue. Apparently its a sign of self loathing or something. I'm not sure if dogs can loath themselves but hey.

Here's what she has tried (none have worked for her though):

Put chilli flakes on the poop to make it taste bad (my friend's dog loves chilli we have found -_-)

Catch them when they are eating it and punish the behaviour immediately

Dont leave poop lying around in your yard and supervise toiletting of your dog

Brush their teeth with toothpaste after you catch them (her dog hates tooth paste but not enough to stop dammit). I dont think u use a brush, just rub it on their teeth

Google probably has lots of ideas too  

Iconised Ghost

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:00 pm
All Lyss can suggest is try sticking his nose into the poop, and see if that works. And punish him.

Otherwise, Lyss doesn't know.

Lyss does know that her dog is tricked very easily. (Thinks dog food is a treat)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:02 pm
Ummm, maybe a muzzle? Not sure what else would really work. D:  

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:04 pm
Iconised Ghost
My friend's dog has the same issue. Apparently its a sign of self loathing or something. I'm not sure if dogs can loath themselves but hey.

Here's what she has tried (none have worked for her though):

Put chilli flakes on the poop to make it taste bad (my friend's dog loves chilli we have found -_-)

Catch them when they are eating it and punish the behaviour immediately

Dont leave poop lying around in your yard and supervise toiletting of your dog

Brush their teeth with toothpaste after you catch them (her dog hates tooth paste but not enough to stop dammit). I dont think u use a brush, just rub it on their teeth

Google probably has lots of ideas too

alright ill tell my dad to try some of those D: hopefully one will work

@Blue: Shiloh is basically a farm dog. putting a muzzle on him would be a very bad idea D:  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:06 pm
Hmmm, a delema. Maybe theres a Webvet, like theres a webmd...  

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

churrlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:16 pm
Kitty didn't ask me cause she knew I would just say smack the dog D:< Get a roll of newspaper and whap the freakin dog till he learns to stop blaugh It's like spanking a child D: Cept dogs learn >.>  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 pm
TheBlueWarrior
Hmmm, a delema. Maybe theres a Webvet, like theres a webmd...

Ive posted on animal planet XD

@Luis: >_> *slaps a*** youve been a naughty boy!  

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 pm
churrlo
Kitty didn't ask me cause she knew I would just say smack the dog D:< Get a roll of newspaper and whap the freakin dog till he learns to stop blaugh It's like spanking a child D: Cept dogs learn >.>

Unless its a German Shepered mix Wolf, damn those things are disobiedient.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm
Labs too cause they're stupid gonk They're like... FOOD?! And omgar... I got spanked sad  

churrlo

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 pm
churrlo
Labs too cause they're stupid gonk They're like... FOOD?! And omgar... I got spanked sad
whee heart

O: ... i wonder what kind of dog luis would be.. if he were a dog? oh wait no i know the answer to that and its not lab ... thats cami XD Luis is a Chihuahua  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 pm
Im just wondering, how do you think sticking a dogs muzzle in something it likes will stop it from eating it?
Punishing a dog like that or in any other way is Never a succesful way in training a dog, just like it wouldnt work for training a child.

And by the way, toothpaste and chili is very harmful to dogs, if tey get too much it could kill them. Dont do that.

I would recomend, when taking him on walks observing his behaviour befor he eats it and when you see that comming you just distract him or tell him a big no, if the no doesn't make him move away tug the leash, not hard but so he realises that he shouldn't be and everytime he he goes towards the poop you repeat, first with the firm no, if no reaction tug the leash go away. When he starts stoping after the No you give him a treat or just say good boy in a really happy voice then walk away.
It's not that hard, it may take a while but if you do this Evertime he will learn that if he stays away from poop eating he will get treats and a happy knitterz/dad. Which he wants.

Oh and if there's poop laying around the yard and you can't be there you should just take it all away.  

Ketake 2.0

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:42 pm
Ketake 2.0
Im just wondering, how do you think sticking a dogs muzzle in something it likes will stop it from eating it?
Punishing a dog like that or in any other way is Never a succesful way in training a dog, just like it wouldnt work for training a child.

And by the way, toothpaste and chili is very harmful to dogs, if tey get too much it could kill them. Dont do that.

I would recomend, when taking him on walks observing his behaviour befor he eats it and when you see that comming you just distract him or tell him a big no, if the no doesn't make him move away tug the leash, not hard but so he realises that he shouldn't be and everytime he he goes towards the poop you repeat, first with the firm no, if no reaction tug the leash go away. When he starts stoping after the No you give him a treat or just say good boy in a really happy voice then walk away.
It's not that hard, it may take a while but if you do this Evertime he will learn that if he stays away from poop eating he will get treats and a happy knitterz/dad. Which he wants.

Oh and if there's poop laying around the yard and you can't be there you should just take it all away.

O: thanks Ketket that sounds like the best suggestion yet. Though im not sure when my dad will find time to do that... and I know my uncle wont :/ *sighs*

oh well ill pass the message to my dad thanks XD  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 pm
Oh it's nothing Im only glad to help people help their dogs.

BTW that method works for basically most of the hings a dog does that you don't want it to do, say a no when it gets close to doing in and when it stops gif treats... It's quite easy actually^^  

Ketake 2.0

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 pm
yea Ive seen it on dog whisperer XD ... i just didnt know you could apply it to poo eating

on another note though Shiloh is still young. razz puppies seem to be more prone to poo eating but as they grow they grow out of it. XD I was thinking about it and I remembered when Peco was a puppy he liked cat poo but now he wants nothing to do with it. might just be a puppy thing me thinks  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff