Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
hmm... should I have her committed? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.... *sigh* shes always been a little wacked but.....
  .... *shrug*
View Results

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:02 pm
I have become increasingly worried about my mother. She has been doing a lot of very strange things and shes been having mood swings for no ******** reason! she is through menopause so its not that. Im starting to wonder if I need to have her committed. Last weekend she disappeared for 8 hours and didnt tell me where the hell she was. 2 weeks before that she spray painted almost all the furniture black and then nearly an hour after she finished it she decided she didnt like it and almost started crying. Today when the repair man came to fix my desk and on his way out her asked her if she was my grandmother. We both laughed and she SEEMED fine. So I called my dad to tell him the key bored tray was fixec and then I told him the littler story of how not only did the repair man get my age wrong but he called my mom a grandma! We both laughed and he talked to my mother and she laughed to and everything seemed fine. Hours later now shes almost ready to break down crying because she thinks me and my father hate her and are out to get her and we think shes a loser and we are always trying to hurt her! I really dont know what im going to do anymore this is just nuts! I dont know how to help her shes not drunk theres no whine around.. I cant really say anything to defend myself because she twists it around and screams at me.... I dont know what Im supposed to do...

Edit: theres alot more going on then what ive said here.... I mean before christmas she left me in a target store for 4 hours because I wasnt gana hold her back from shopping... and shes nuts about the dishes... 3 or 4 years back she kicked me out of the house for forgetting to do them... but she was drunk then...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 pm
Your mother might want to see a therapist or her doctor. She could very likely have a mental illness and medication may possibly help. I think committing her is rather drastic and would probably pull her over the edge.

I know this is a common diagonoses but it does seem like she is dealing with depression. I used to laugh things off that upsetted me.... she needs some sort of outlet.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm
Goddess Ace
Your mother might want to see a therapist or her doctor. She could very likely have a mental illness and medication may possibly help. I think committing her is rather drastic and would probably pull her over the edge.

I know this is a common diagonoses but it does seem like she is dealing with depression. I used to laugh things off that upsetted me.... she needs some sort of outlet.

your probably right but I doubt she will ever get help.... she thinks therapists are useless and refuses to trust any.... I was thinking about having her committed because I dont know how else to get her help... I cant live with her like this because its just chaos but I dont feel safe leaving her alone. I have a lot of my own problems that need to be taken care of to but I spend a lot of time worrying about what is gana send her off the deep end next instead of trying to get myself help...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm
Knitterz
Goddess Ace

your probably right but I doubt she will ever get help.... she thinks therapists are useless and refuses to trust any.... I was thinking about having her committed because I dont know how else to get her help... I cant live with her like this because its just chaos but I dont feel safe leaving her alone. I have a lot of my own problems that need to be taken care of to but I spend a lot of time worrying about what is gana send her off the deep end next instead of trying to get myself help...

Well, if you really think that's the only way to get help for her maybe you should discuss it with some other family members first. You don't need to be obligated to take care of your mother and someone (family member, friend, co-worker) should be able to at least give you some insight on what to do.

You might want to look into your family history and see if there's any cases of mental illnesses. And if it's simply depression, she'd either take Prozac to hopefully control mood swings or find some sort of outlet. If she likes to do art then let her express her self on canvas and talk about it. Art therpay is a helpful practice.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 pm
i dont think its as easy as just having her committed. Im pretty sure that you cant have someone committed unless they are seriously mentally ill, are a danger to themselves, or a danger to others

Could it be a midlife crisis? Perhaps if you talk to her, just say that you've noticed she's been upset and acting differently, she might tell you that somethings wrong or really upsetting her, that you hadnt considered before. And then if she wants, maybe she can talk to a therapist or see her doctor. Having someone committed is a quite a drastic thing to do (we had a member of my family committed because she was a paranoid schizophrenic and thought people were trying to kill her, and was reporting everyone to the police for example)

She might not need medicating, maybe just someone to talk to. Of course she might not want to talk to anyone at all, not even family, and this is just her way of working through something  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:24 pm
Goddess Ace
Knitterz
Goddess Ace

Well, if you really think that's the only way to get help for her maybe you should discuss it with some other family members first. You don't need to be obligated to take care of your mother and someone (family member, friend, co-worker) should be able to at least give you some insight on what to do.

You might want to look into your family history and see if there's any cases of mental illnesses. And if it's simply depression, she'd either take Prozac to hopefully control mood swings or find some sort of outlet. If she likes to do art then let her express her self on canvas and talk about it. Art therpay is a helpful practice.

theres a very large history of mental illness in the family. I cant even talk to her about this she will throw a fit... Ive tried to in the past once or twice but she wants nothing to do with therapy. Im going to call my aunt and my dad and see what they think. It seems really strange to be worrying about her being crazy. Im so used to being the one being threatened with being committed XD ... Shes not the artistic type either Im pretty sure the way she expresses her self and uses as an outlet is shopping. She is ALWAYS shopping. Ive noticed it more and more over the past 2 months.

@Iconised: my fear is that she will become a danger to herself and a danger to others. What ever is going on with her seems to be getting worse. I would like to be able to try and talk to her but when ever i try she gets really defensive and then we start fighting over stupid little things. I need a way to get through to her D:

again.. this is really really strange for me >_< Im so used to being the crazy one .. maybe Im just over reacting to her...

having her committed would be a very drastic measure but again ... I dont know how to get through to her at all D:  

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 pm
You could try and get her assessed and see if there is something going on mentally or if she's just reacting relatively normally to something like stress or a distressing life event. Im not sure how you would get her assessed though, you'd proobably have to start by talking to a social worker or psychologist  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:23 am
she has to have a gyno.

call the gyno and tell them you're worried her hormones are whacked out or something. then have THEM call HER and get her in for an appointment and then the doctor can say "you know, you seem a tad...frazzled...do you want some help with that?"

3nodding cause then its a REAL doctor telling her to get help and not some eeevil therapist. wink

also, you should have your dad try to talk to her before YOU do. parents rarely take things like "i think there's something wrong with you psychologically, mama" from their kids well. another adult saying it carries more weight and doesn't ******** up your parent/child relationship. 3nodding

in any case, GOOD LUCK! whee  

WastelandMama
Crew

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm
bluegrass cat
she has to have a gyno.

call the gyno and tell them you're worried her hormones are whacked out or something. then have THEM call HER and get her in for an appointment and then the doctor can say "you know, you seem a tad...frazzled...do you want some help with that?"

3nodding cause then its a REAL doctor telling her to get help and not some eeevil therapist. wink

also, you should have your dad try to talk to her before YOU do. parents rarely take things like "i think there's something wrong with you psychologically, mama" from their kids well. another adult saying it carries more weight and doesn't ******** up your parent/child relationship. 3nodding

in any case, GOOD LUCK! whee

D: she might listen to my dad if I got him to talk to her... MIGHT but I KNOW she would listen to my aunt if i had her talk to her ..  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:26 pm
Ahh! rl problems! im scared of those xD in any case....id say...talk to your family about it, talk to your dad and see what he thinks.  

Benjamaninja

churrlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm
Like I told ya before it might be a mid-life crisis of sorts x_X Take Ace's advice though with the therapist or psychologist or something  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:13 pm
I understand your situation quite a bit. My aunt is paranoid schizophrenic (medically diagnosed) and refuses to take medication. She thinks the government and pharmacuetical companies are after her. So mental illness runs in my family.
My mom has had quite a few mental problems as well. One of them caused her to lose so much weight that she ended up in the hospital. They gave her some medicine to make her gain weight, which *just* so happened to be an anti-psychosis type drug. She's much better now, but the doctor hasn't let her stop taking the drug, despite my mother wanting off of it. My mother refuses to believe she was mentallly unbalanced.
I probably don't deal with it the best way. I get angry at her and stop talking to her. I don't live anywhere near her, and she's married to a relatively stable guy, so I don't have to worry about her day-to-day care. I think I haven't talked to her for about 2 weeks now. Prooobably should call her. Meh. stare  

Krystalcat

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 am

I thought mental institutions were all closed and the inhabitants were made into hobos who can't funtion in society even if someone gives them all the help they need.

Casually/playfully tease her about some of these incedents, like when she leaves to shops, make a remark mentioning the 8 hour shoping trip, or when the dishes are piling up mention when she freaked out...

If she's depressed it will get worse, and if it's metal problems she just might realize that she's acting off. Now, since she's denied it so much, it's possible she'll try to hide her ackkowledgement of the problem. I do that, and it's for the stupidest s**t. If she does ask for help from a doctor you don't know and you find out, don't accuse or tease about knowing, just tell her you know and that you approve. Don't make it seem like she lost.

If you do this and it works, tell me, because this is based on what I know is likely the best way to deal with myself, mainly the second part, so if it works, it means I'm accually crazy and not just... off.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:51 pm
Krystalcat
I understand your situation quite a bit. My aunt is paranoid schizophrenic (medically diagnosed) and refuses to take medication. She thinks the government and pharmacuetical companies are after her. So mental illness runs in my family.

paranoid schizophrenia sucks balls emo  

Iconised Ghost

Artanus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:55 pm
Maybe you can go to a free clinic, with or without your mom and get pills. And somehow get her to take them.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff