Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Dress help - not prom - RL Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How rediculous is this request for help?
  Immpossibly rediculous
  ARE YOU ******** NUTS??? YOU ARE ******** NUTS!!!
  Picky child/girl/idiot
  O.O Damn...
  Give up and just dress your age already. -_-
  POLL
View Results

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 pm

I need help.. finding a dress... for RL.

Family member is getting married.

What I want is a non-prom dress, simple, long, and like an easter dress in print, color and conservative-ness. I would prefer to say away from bold, or over busy, and I'm looking for bright spring colors. You know, like sky blue, and a lime green just dull enough to match sky blue perfectly? Those types of shades. For a pattern butterflies or flowers, or a combo of the two. Basically a girls' dress but for a big kid. sweatdrop I'm lame. Basically a dress that you'd be in no way ashamed to show off to family... xp shoulder straps or mini sleeves, are preferred but not required. Better stay away from strapless. No decorations like ruffles are needed on the top half of the dress... no way-too-high-waistband-things and likewise, like a little girl dress. sweatdrop Seriously, I'm wearing a dress, so more likely than not I'm a girl, why bother to make it obvious further than that? (I'm picky because me no likey dress-up time.)

Now, that may seem strict so here are a few trades.
Spaghetti straps are alright if I can find a shawl thingy, or if the rest is conservative enough.
Yes, I know it's a bit late for easter dresses, and since this is more than just for the wedding it can't be black (white dog=horrid mess), and I know that Easter has passed, so I'll try to be reasonable here.
Slips, telling me to just find a slip, the dresses that have a slip attached, and the bottom being layers, or made to look layered... all those are fine. This means that if the dress isn't long enough, post it anyway, because there are ways to fix that. 3nodding

See? I can be reasonable, or at least pretend to.

I'm not too worried about shoes or accessories, but those are fine to post up.
If you think a dress will need or should have a slip or something you don't have to find the slip or whatever, I really just need a base dress at the moment.
I would prefer a dress, but I know I must sound crazy, so a top and skirt are fine too.

Now who are the brave among you?

I have been to all the mini-middle-of-nowhere cities around, well, all but one, and checked WAY too many stores, finding a lot of the same... >.> Pale/dull blues/greens/purples/pinks that are used in the perfect dress, with those old lady flowers... (Mom patterns) stressed

Please take no offense to my reasonings, I'm picky, very, yet somehow flexible. o.O Anyway, I've seen too many dresses, walked though too many stores, and yet surprisingly merely reaffirmed my dislike for shopping, without any particular strengthening that dislike.
~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:08 am
I'm not sure what you're looking for. A link to somewhere online that would have a good dress? Are you even willing to buy the dress online? O_o  

Pachelbel Canon

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:41 am
User Image
Is this what you mean? O_O  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:28 am

April - Ah, sorry. Online, or if while searching for prom dresses you found a dress that seemed to match my description and you recall the store.

(I really suck at finding anything online if I know what I'm looking for, plus slow load times when browsing though online stores is... painstakingly long.)

MMM- Close. I'm thinking that pattern, but more spaced, and with the flowers a little bigger. The cut of the dress is perfect. (Straps, collar, and while I'd like it longer, there are ways to make it such.)

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:43 am
What price range are you looking at? It would probably be cheaper to buy a top and skirt separately, depending on what you are willing to spend.

EDIT: User Image

This is on target.com for 25 bucks. It's not as long as you'd like it but it looks like it would be really easy to extend since it's layered in different colors anyway. It also doesn't have flowers on it...but it's blue and green and simple. :/

So Target might be one to look at. Forever21.com (which also has several store locations) might be the only other place that comes to mind for me.

EDIT EDIT: I found a few more dresses on Target.
User Image
User Image

I'm sure nothing was over 30 dollars that I showed here. And I only searched the "blue section." You might find something different if you looked in the green section.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:54 pm
just chose one that you think is you... easy.  

ms vivvi

2,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Word has it this wedding is going to be rather formal. sad

Sorry it took so long to get these. MMM, you seemed to be asking for a visual reference, so I got one, but the computer's upload from the camera kept messing up, same with photobucket upload. :/
Anyway...
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/metalic_noodles/100_0879.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/metalic_noodles/100_0883.jpg
The second is to show the attached slip.

That dress is many years too small, if you were wondering, but from pulling it out of the closet I saw and realized that spring colors and pattern were what I wanted.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:38 pm
Lyss wants to know: How old exactly is Metallic?

Anyways, Lyss found some dresses at JCPenney that Metallic might like:

Dress One
Dress Two
Dress Three
Dress Four
Dress Five
Dress Six
Dress Seven

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Almost 17, only so many days left. (Too lazy to count, May 23rd, like it says in the siggy.)

Oh, and forgot to add in my last post that price doesn't matter much. I guess that has to do with it being for a formal occasion or something. :/

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:33 am
Lyss The One In The Back
Lyss wants to know: How old exactly is Metallic?

Anyways, Lyss found some dresses at JCPenney that Metallic might like:

Dress One
Dress Two
Dress Three
Dress Four
Dress Five
Dress Six
Dress Seven

I want all of those! gonk  

MonsieurSponge

moonchie

5,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 am
The Target and JCPenny dresses are pretty close to the description I think.
The third and fourth dress from JCPenny = eek heart  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 am
Lyss is good at picking dresses people might like. xD

Lyss wants some of the dresses too.

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

teh sexiful nerdy

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 pm
Forever 21 - Dress 1

Forever 21 - Dress 2

Target - Dress 1

Target - Dress 2

Target - Dress 3

Target - Dress 4

Target - Dress 5

[there were many good options at target]

JC Penney - Dress 1

also, what does your complexion look like [skin tone, hair color, eye color]? how short are you willing to go? what are the colors of the wedding? How formal will the wedding be?

this may seem invasive but also what is your body type, size, height, and, if comfortable stating it, weight? Are you muscular? Do you have a particularly petite figure [short and, usually dainty]? Are you very curvy or not? What style would you like [casual, dressy, tomboyish, hippie-like, etc.]?

that information should help to find a better suited dress for you

and a note: I suggest you stay away from black and white at all times for weddings, especially white, it is taboo. Find out wedding colors and avoid those as well. It's also taboo.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:02 am
teh sexiful nerdy

also, what does your complexion look like [skin tone, hair color, eye color]? how short are you willing to go? what are the colors of the wedding? How formal will the wedding be?

I'm told to be pale, I don't like going outside much. My hair is brunette, but the bottom 3-7 inches or so are light brown due to highlights I got over a year ago I think... sweatdrop My eyes are blue/grey.
I'm looking for at least past the knees.
I think they are planning it as a party, and the invite said that the reception will have a night club feel or something... Knowing my uncle, the theme with change itself.

teh sexiful nerdy

this may seem invasive but also what is your body type, size, height, and, if comfortable stating it, weight? Are you muscular? Do you have a particularly petite figure [short and, usually dainty]? Are you very curvy or not? What style would you like [casual, dressy, tomboyish, hippie-like, etc.]?

that information should help to find a better suited dress for you

I wear size 1-3 jeans, no belt but loose on the legs.
about 5 feet, somewhere between 85lbs and 100lbs, I think, it's been a while. (No, not bragging, it's no muscle, and been a long time since I've weighed myself.)
Muscular? Nope, opposite.
Not very curvy, and I just want a dress my mom and I can agree on.
teh sexiful nerdy

and a note: I suggest you stay away from black and white at all times for weddings, especially white, it is taboo. Find out wedding colors and avoid those as well. It's also taboo.

I'm trying to say away from black, because it's not a wedding color, or shouldn't be, especially for a spring (ish) wedding.

I'll ask about the colors.  

Metalic_Noodles

teh sexiful nerdy

2,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:34 pm
well...

you seem to have a similar color palette to work with as I do.

I'm going to go into the pinks and peaches to look for colors [like... pale pinks] as well as maybe into tans and browns that you could use later in the year, like summer.

I'm also thinking the length you'll want is described as 'tea-length'. you'll do better with going to just above the knee [no more than a couple of inches] it will give the same look and make your legs actually seem longer.

Based on figure you should go with a-line dresses with a slight flair at the waist. You could also use drop-waist dresses. Empire waist could be okay but would really depend. If I were you, I would stay with more fitted dresses that would give you a shape since it sounds like you don't have one. I would stay away from bag-dresses as I call them.

Peach Colored

red-brown

white/brown

deep purple

floral patterned

fuschia, green, or navy

I suggest the cocoa

cream

green and white

coral

many colors available

also, many colors avail.