Reply Community Lounge
Do You Ever Just Not Fit In? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dark_Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:16 pm
For as long as I can remember there's always been something about me that doesn't quite fit in with the "every day" and the "normal." I don't find it possible for me to follow things that the majority of people I know follow, e.g.: sports, politics, TV. Besides that, I've never been big into parties, drinking, smoking, or anything of that "hot-blooded" nature. I know that those are all simply indulgences and they are in no way a measure of me as a person, but I wonder. What is it that I'm looking for? Why is it that my brain is always unsatisfied? And why can't I seem to finish a story?

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Can anyone relate to my lack of linear thought? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:59 pm
I think a lot of us feel this way. I pretty much do not fit my age and/or gender demographics when it comes to fashion, interests, hobbies, goals, and socializing. Does it bother me that I am different? Nope.

My interests may not fit the age and gender stereotypes assigned to me, but that just means I'm not a societal clone. I pursue my own eclectic interests. It's my life, why shouldn't I do the things that I enjoy doing?

As for the lack of linear thought, I have ADHD. My thoughts are almost always nonlinear. mrgreen  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 am
Apparently I should be locked away because I can't relate to my generation. I'm not into the "now things, and trends" and because I can't relate to music of this era. I'm more in touch with music from the 70's. It does more for me on an emotional level. I find that music that is pumped out now doesn't grab me like the way Simon and Garfunkle does, or Buddy Holly, or Pink Floyd, and so on. The only "recent" band I like I System of a Down.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:48 am
Don't worry about it Dark_Pisces you are not missing much.
And Thaliat summed it up pretty well up there.

I've always gotten along better with people somewhat older or younger than myself. I'm mature but not at the expense of my inner child xd
More often than not I really dislike what is "cool" at said specific minute.
As for finishing stories, (do you mean writing them) I have the same problem so I don't have a good solution yet.
As for lack of linear thought that may or may not be a bad thing that I think lots of people deal with. I know at any given time my minds zigzags the universe a couple times. You get better stories that way.
Don't know if this is helping.

Also GRM Simon and Garfunkle are absolutely awesome anyone who disagrees should be hung, drawn and courted, humph. I need to get some Pink Floyd, why don't I have some....

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

palnoki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 pm
I believe when people don't fit in or like what is traditionally presented to them, they are seeking a more personalised external social activity. Let me explain, I think we look for new things so that we can add to our uniqueness and make us stand out or another reason is that we believe we will enjoy a totally new and unusal form of curosity(self exploration). for a while we will but the fact is your being is looking to explore, and it might not nessicarily be to explore other areas of interest but maybe to learn more about yourself and how you fit in socially in ANY circumstance. How do you enjoy spending time with people. What motivates you to act in your life, what topics are really important to you. Once you now these, finding groups and shared interests I think become easier and you then feel like you fit in more. Because you have built pathways to find and meet people of similar interests that you know you like and enjoy.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:19 pm
I don't think I've ever fit in with the people around me. My fashion sense if let loose definatly does not fit the Canadian or States fashion sense for my gender and age group either. Lol. I think a lot of people feel this way.

@Pal- I don't want to be unique. I want to be myself and who I really am. There's a difference. It's pretty much a given like people want to hang out with like people.  

sahihen

palnoki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:35 am
sahihen
I don't think I've ever fit in with the people around me. My fashion sense if let loose definatly does not fit the Canadian or States fashion sense for my gender and age group either. Lol. I think a lot of people feel this way.

@Pal- I don't want to be unique. I want to be myself and who I really am. There's a difference. It's pretty much a given like people want to hang out with like people.

True but my post was more directed towards Dark_Pisces not you, They wanted to know why they were looking and didn't fit in, I believe they have a drive ot find a uniqueness or at least a satisfaction they enjoy but can't find it among the more common social events. Everyone just has different desires, some want to be unique some wants to explore, others are comforted by following the norm, nothing is right or wrong, you just have to find the path that best suits you.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:42 pm
Totally! I go to a private school, which is pretty much full of preps, and I just don't fit in with them. I have a more funky fashion sense, and because people dont really get how you can like punk fashion but not cut yourself (being scene), I get called emo sometimes. Soooo not fun. Plus I'm with you: I hate the smell of alcohal, and even second-hand smoke makes me want to gag. Plus, grinding boys at partys seems so slutty to me so I never do it, and I hate rap.  

haign

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:35 pm
There's something about me that seems to put a lot of people off. Oh, well. I still have my weird friends, and that's my favorite kind of person. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:49 pm
*shrug* I find myself surprised if I ever AM "part of the crowd", and it's always in spite of, rather than because, of the popularity. (I held off, for example, on Harry Potter until the 3rd book, then grudgingly got the first to read, to see what the fuss was about. To my astonishment, I loved it, and went back the next day to get the second and third books.) I was also the one in high school watching everyone stumbling over themselves to change themselves to be popular, and thinking, "What the HELL is with these people?"

Anyways. We seem to have quite a few independent thinkers here, no? wink  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 pm
I have never been part of the majority, not really. I have always been the odd one out. Hell even now among my own friends I'm a bit of a weirdo and honestly... I'm quite happy with that. I think that if I fit in with everyone I'd be unhappy. I don't want to fit in, I like being unique and different it's what makes me who I am. If what i like happens to go with the majority well then I guess that's fine but I don't go out of my way to get into it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:22 pm
    I don't know that I've ever felt like not fitting in in a bad way, but I know what it's like to be left out, for sure.

I don't drink, smoke, or party ever, but my friends all do (well, they don't ALL smoke, but yeah...). I have no issue with that, but there's still often times where they all hang out to do such things, and I'm left out for not wanting to be in that kind of environment. It's like I'm being punished for 'proper' behavior. It's hard getting over that feeling that my friends so often choose getting drunk or getting high over actually wanting to do something that I can do too. I just have to try and not take it personally and be thankful I at least have some amount of friends... sweatdrop

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 am
I know exactly how you feel, pisces. I feel ike that, too. My school's full of people totally different from me, so I jsut don't get along with most people. It's hard, but you can get used to it if you ignore them. Fins the outcasts and make friends with them, you'll feel better about yourself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:50 am
This will probably come across as harsh, but please consider it for a moment: It is my experience that people who are "non-conformist" or "don't fit in" end up being either great artists or complete losers. The fact is that the whole "teenage rebellion" thing is a bullshit social construct and it damages society.

For example, after WW2 there was a baby boom in the United States. However, instead of building America's infrastructure, the baby boomers destroyed it. After all, what were the 1980's if not companies "rebelling" against the traditional mold of society by raping and destroying one another for short-term gains? We're paying for that now.

You have nothing to prove other than whether or not you deserve to eat, so why not just go ahead and play the game? Do the school thing, make a future for yourself. In the end, you don't make much difference if you try to "drop out" of society. It's far better to try to build something that opt out. The best way is to try to look at the big picture, make a plan for your future, and engage in activities (sport, debate, things that will look good on your college applications) that will help you in the long term. Sure, you can follow the path of least resistance, but that leads straight to the bottom. My advice is just play the game.  

Chiagreens_attyatlaw

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces