I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Would People Be Interested In An ATG Game Night? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where Do You Prefer Your Online-Capable Gaming?
  Windows Computer
  OS X Computer
  Linux Computer
  XBOX 360
  Nintendo Wii
  Playstation 3
  Playstation Portable
  Nintendo DS
  Web Browser
  Other
View Results

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:49 am
Nota Bene: If this needs to be moved to the Games subforum please move it.

I know there are gamers of all types (casual, serious, any other category) in the ATG. I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in playing, weekly or biweekly, on a chosen evening. It could be... like... we all meet in the respective chat areas (with IRC chat being the main base of chats for the game night) and then figure out what people want to play. The MarioKarters can all join each other on Nintendo Wifi while the Haloers can be on XBOX Live and the Go players can be on one of the KGS Go Servers and the Chess players in a respective place. The tabletop roleplayers can hang out in the forums to play or use software like OpenRPG to do some old-fashioned D20/D6/D100 fun.

(I was also thinking "Hrmmm... Maybe we can also have an Oprah-esque Book Club", but that would be very creepy.)

Just putting that idea out here to see if people would find this fun. And also, for added discussion, how do people game (not restricted to video games)?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:33 am
I'm totally down for this. Supreme Commander is about the only PC game I can play other than WoW though = / Most of my games are illegitimate, so like, no online playing for the most part.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:44 am
Wahey. A Panny gamer would be interested then. Ah, then, I suppose I should list what games I should be able to play.

Ermmm... Right now all I can really play are these titles:

• Linux Computer: Most Non-Java Browser Games, Might be able to use OpenRPG
  • Nintendo DS: MarioKart, Bleach - Dark Souls, Pokemon Diamond, Phantasy Star Zero (This one I'm using my Flash Cart - I just got the game to see if I want to buy the retail version once it hits overseas), and I can probably dig out my Metroid Prime Hunters once I figure out where it is in the attic of my family's home.

I'll have access to a computer capable of playing Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, and pretty much any game from Nexon (MapleStory, Combat Arms, etc.) in January.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:21 am
Celes is all for this idea! Though just about the only thing she could do would be to run around in the Underground with people on Pokemon Diamond and battle people. Things of that sort.

Since I'm about to completely get rid of my Windows partition since it's giving me nothing but trouble, I can't do much else, but how about RP-style things for those of us that enjoy such things as well? Figure out what scenario to do each week or whenever, or a continuation if people like? I dunno, just a thought.  

Anise_is_my_replica

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:53 pm
Kals is questing again!
Heh, well I play EQ on the free server at SoD now and then, but otherwise the extend of my gaming mostly consists of flash games online. My consoles are all waaaay too old to have online capabilities.

I am a bit of a tabletop gamer, a big fan of Steve Jackson's creations, especially Munchkin, as well as Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne...

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Oooooh... If only there was a way to play Munchkin online. That would be mega fun. Though I suppose it loses some of its feel when online rather than on an actual tabletop (what with the weird rules and all),  

Sentama Lin

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:46 pm
I think the only way to do it would be if everyone had a Munchkin game and we played over skype or something. It would still be messed up when there are cards that involve going through the discard pile though.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:15 pm
I need to get around to hooking up the 360... hopefully when we get another router. It seems like a good idea and I would be willing to try it. I have a mac with wow on it.
I need to find the irc chatroom and hook it up.  

sahihen

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 am
I know some virtual tabletop software that incorporates a notebook functionality to store Character Sheets and other notes, various Miniatures as images, "Maps and Tiles" using images, and Cards. However, the cards will need to be written, and I'm sure there would be a problem with copying Munchkin cards even if it's just for playing.

What kind of games would people like to play? Seeing that it's only a 2-4 nights per month kind of thing it should probably be something very casual, quick, and fun. Roleplay would be fun too, but it would be best if it were short adventures. People could switch being DM for each week too.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:47 am
Tabletop computer D&D? I didn't know such a thing were possible. I'd give that a shot.  

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 am
I've been wanting to do it with many people in the guild, but I was unsure how comfortable people would be using the tools (Doing Tabletop-Style Computer DND). The software is cross-platform, meaning it will work on Windows, OS X, and Linux, but it's not the most user friendly of applications.

The good thing is it's software created by tabletop gamers for tabletop gamers. Unfortunately, tabletop gamers aren't exactly usability experts. :3

In any case, for D&D and other tabletop roleplays, what will probably end up happening is we'll end up with a hodge-podge of various characters at potentially various character levels.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:32 am
Let game night then! It's always fun to play games!  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:36 am

I am an old ATG member =]

Yo homie I am interested in Game Nights
I use xfire for simplicity
also as for pancakes issue I can lend him certain games as I have two of them (DoW 40k, NFS-MW, ++) and I can probably lend him my steam account on days I am not around.

Bonus: I have Mario Kart DS even if I suck on it.
I can also play Wii (woot)
as for all of us gaming together maybe free games are a plus?

Click here for the ATG Wiki!
Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
I am not a Mod but I am a regular and will always answer if you ask =]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 am
User Image

I have an interesting suggestion.

There's a free game that I found a while ago called TeeWorlds. It's fairly small, and in my opinion it's pretty fun.

You play as a small character (Called a Tee), controlled with the mouse and keyboard (Mouse to aim, keys to move and jump), and attempt to blow hell out of the other players.

http://www.teeworlds.com/

It has the ability to set your own personal server up on it, and I'd be glad to do that when I work out how to do it. xd

If this fails, I'll see what other games I can join in with. biggrin

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:23 pm
Teeworlds reminds me of Worms but more action-y. I can't play it on my system at the moment but it looks fun, and I might install it on my new computer (whenever that can be purchased).

I'm definitely leaning more towards free games, especially free games that can work on as many systems as possible.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff