Reply Community Lounge
I have a SECRETTT. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Almighty H O B O

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 pm
So you know Gaia, right? Oh course you do. Well the name isn't as creative as you might think. Go on the greatest site ever [a.k.a. Wikipedia] and look up gaia. The first hit is from...MYTHOLOGY. Gaia was the primal goddess of the earth. So gaia=Earth. gaiaonline=virtual world. Not really a creative name if you think about it, and are intelligent enough to make this connection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm
*blinks* I knew that the minute I heard about this site. This isn't the last time the term Gaia has been used instead of earth. I remember in Captain Planet, the spirit of the world was named Gaia too. Maybe not the most original but kind of an obvious tidbit...  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm
How in the hell is this a secret? confused You had to go to Wikipedia to "make the connection"?  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm
I thought that was obvious.... eek
Although I can't actually tell you where I first heard of the term Gaia(Earth) I've not read all that much mythology, hmm

Oh I loved watching Captain Planet, Waku! And they had to name her Gaia, what with him being Captain Planet, and all the elements the ki
ds controlled.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm

EDIT... i always wonder why 5 kids with magic element controlling rings needed a super hero...  

Agent_of_Misfortune

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 pm
    Captain Planet was the "pulling out the big guns". He only ever came in at the very end, really....

But yes...I always figured it was fairly common knowledge that Gaia = Earth in Greek mythology. Never thought the name was unoriginal for Gaia, either.... Just a name.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:23 pm
I have a secret too. Bet nobody can guess what my username means. ninja eek razz

The terms Gaia and Terra have been pretty commonly used for Earth and/or the spirit of the Earth in fiction, particularly fantasy and science fiction, so I always figured the meaning of the words was pretty common knowledge. As the others said, goooooo Captain Planet!  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

124-C

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:26 pm
Go Appleseed... ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:00 am
[ Terra ]
I have a secret too. Bet nobody can guess what my username means. ninja eek razz

The terms Gaia and Terra have been pretty commonly used for Earth and/or the spirit of the Earth in fiction, particularly fantasy and science fiction, so I always figured the meaning of the words was pretty common knowledge. As the others said, goooooo Captain Planet!

Terra is another name for the Earth, or at least rocks and stuff isn't it? I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct with that guess, but I know landscaping and changing the Earth's face is called Terraforming... Soooo, I'm just guessing >_>  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:30 am
1) To summarize everybody else: DUH.

and

2) I think it's plenty creative. They wanted to make a forum site that's like its own little world. "The World" is already taken by the .hack// franchise. Gaia is a pretty word that pretty much sums up what we have. Our very own little "Earth", not to mention that Gaia itself is filled with its own mythology, so using a mythological word fits pretty well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 am
AlcoholicPancake
Terra is another name for the Earth, or at least rocks and stuff isn't it? I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct with that guess, but I know landscaping and changing the Earth's face is called Terraforming... Soooo, I'm just guessing >_>

We also have words like terrain and the like. It's Latin for, I'd assume, Earth in general.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:08 pm
Kyla_Ewens
1) To summarize everybody else: DUH.

and

2) I think it's plenty creative. They wanted to make a forum site that's like its own little world. "The World" is already taken by the .hack// franchise. Gaia is a pretty word that pretty much sums up what we have. Our very own little "Earth", not to mention that Gaia itself is filled with its own mythology, so using a mythological word fits pretty well.

Nicely put Kyla ^_^
And yes some of our items give us little tidbits into Gaia's mythology, shich I find amusing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 pm
This just goes to show more people need to be aware of where words come from.. or at least you know, realize obvious stuff  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Serious Erius
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:37 pm
Yes, I am aware of the irony  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces