View Results

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 am
Okay, I'm changing it. We'll jsut talk about any old mythology. If you have informtaion about Selkies and...Skinwalkers {?}, pm it to me, if you please. It went way off, so...yeah, jsut any Fantasy debates will do, I guess...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:52 am
Hrm, now I'm wishing I had stayed awake during my mythology class in high school. I briefly remember hearing something about Selkies, but never heard anything about Make-shifts or Make-kills. Although, whenever I think of vampires nowadays, my mind is instantly drawn to Twilight, and I instantly shut that though out.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-The-RapistV1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 am
User Image
Dragons as you are referring to them only existed in one place. Peoples Minds. There is no proof of any "real" dragons existing. They are based off of animals that did exist; Dinosaurs and Snakes if you're talking about European ones or Snakes if you're talking about Oriental. Anecdotal expressions of a creature in a culture does not equate proof of existence. It is easy to say that the cultures influenced each other.

Also not every culture in history had dragons. In fact very few did if you look at every culture in known history (Last 5000 years).

Dreams are a chemical reaction caused by your brain removing the 80% of non-useful data from your short term memory at night while you sleep. They do have what is though to be a general "pattern" as in certain things equate to certain actions during the day but it is yet to be proven outside of anecdotal experience.

If you do what to know what most interpreters would say about your dreams of metamorphosis then it means change. Maybe something is changing, or you did something that was a change from the ordinary or maybe you've been thinking about change. Then again maybe not, maybe they're wrong too and it's completely random. Either way it does not mean that Nordic shape shifters are real or that vampires exist. (Not withstanding the existence of porphyria.)

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:47 am
Roland, I know Twilight won't help. I did find a website with many species of Vampire on it, but it only had Europian Vampire species as far as I know.

GTR- *faceslap* Still as sarcastic as always, I see. Okay, I know aobut the dreams. HOWEVER, I must say this: Every single MesoAmerican and SouthAmerican civilization {Zapotec, Mayan, Aztec, ect} has had a version of Quetzalquoatl, the Feathered Serpent God. Many of these had no contact with others until their Spanish Conquests. So, howdid they share this religious figure if they had no contact with each other?
Also, Babylonian myth states that the world was created by the Dragon Goddess Tiamet. THey died out before the Chinese and other dragon-believing cultures began to belive in dragons. And the Bible and other ancient religous texts mention Dragons numerous times.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am
I know Twilight won't help, I'm just saying that's what usually comes to mind. My ex-girlfriend was a Twilight-tard, and I... I dunno. I'm not gonna read them.

And I'm actually surprised you were able to research them with something other than Twilight coming up.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 am
Roland ,I'll be sixteen in two weeks and I've been researching since I was, like, 10. I know a lot about myths. It actually sometimes gets on my friends's nerves. sweatdrop  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:24 am
Ehh, I always hated researching (then again, I hated everything that has to do with school work or anything similar, I'm too lazy) My researching really doesn't go much further than google, maybe wikipedia.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 am
User Image

Serpents =/= dragons

All of these gods/goddesses you're talking about are ******** serpents.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tiamat. Looks like a human snake combo to me.

Anyways, you're getting dragons mixed up with giant snakes, almost every culture had some sort of snake in their religion.

All religions shared similar gods because they all had similar animals around them. Almost every ancient religion based their gods off of animals. Everyone had birds, snakes, fish, and some sort of cat and dog like creature around them, which is why these animals pop up in almost every religion.

The word dragon came from the word Draco or Dracos meaning large serpent. At no time did anyone warship dragons. The word dragon has only been used in the last 2000 years, give or take depending on who you're talking about.

Therefore these "Dragon" gods are actually snake gods.

Oh and phoenixes, like the birds that are on fire, don't and didn't exist either. Same with a bunch of others, so your conclusion is wrong.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 am
I hate school work too, but this stuff is fun because some of it's absotly ridiculous. And, uh, I usually jsut use the internet, too. Though, ido use books. I like books. xd

Oh no! now GRM's in on it too! At least she did research...
Oak,y I have seen other images of Tiamet, including one of a giant red lizard thing with wings. True, many gods and goddesses were based off animals around them, but I[m not tlkaing about Gods and Goddesses, i'm tlaking about Mythological animals like Vampires nd stuff. I jsut mentioned her as a sort of example.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 am
Heh, my reading barely ever leaves either Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or resources on Digital imaging stuff

Anyway, ignore my off topic banter sweatdrop  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:34 am
Um, actually Roland...I kinda figured that already sweatdrop You mentioned you like Stephen king and htat you don't really like other people's works, so i jsut figured...heh, sorry.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 am
Well, It's not that I don't like them, It's just that... I'm picky. I've read a few other series, such as the Inheritence trilogy. I'm just really picky when it comes to stuff like TV, books, video games, music, ect.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 am
Yeah. I read most fantasy stuff. And paly most fantasy games, of course. I really like Summoner, which actually DOES deal with monsters!!! talk2hand Sorry. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:01 am
I am now getting the feeling that I have hijacked this thread. It's gone really off topic since I came in. Anyways, my videogames rarely leave the Zelda, Mario, and Sonic series.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 am
User Image

If you're going to talk about myth's stick to myth's. Again though none of these things were REAL at any point. All the myths were taken and adapted from real things but never existed.

Vampires are not animals, and neither were werewolves. THEY actually WERE taken from something real. So your conclusion is a** backwards. You believe the fake stuff is real and the real is fake. You should probably keep doing research until you are my age.

Oh and ya GRM is in on this too because what you said, I'm going to be blunt, was stupid. On top of that both GTR AND myself have been raised on these myths and beliefs, so it wasn't really research it was already known to us.

Also you two need to get back on topic. I'm pretty sure that 2 people in a thread being on topic won't keep it from being locked.
User Image

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces