Submit

YARRRR!
  GARRR
  RRRRR
View Results

God-The-RapistV1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:01 pm
User Image
THIS THREAD IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND IN NO WAY IS IT AN ADVOCACY THREAD FOR DOWNLOADING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IS A CRIME.

So, piracy is quite an issue these days. I must say that even though the media has seemed to dropped the issue for whatever celebrity is willing to take of their tops/pants the idea and actual actions of copyright piracy is well and strong.

Yet despite all of the people who are "stealing" from the entertainment industry they seem to be making a crapload of petty cash. In fact 2008 was a record breaking year for some.

It begs the question, who is really getting the short end of this stick and if those with the money are actually getting the "short end" how much money would they be making with the long end?

I have myself viewed what some would call "illegal" material. Especially in 2008 and yet that has not stopped me from breaking a personal record as well last year. I bought more DVD's/CD's last year than any other year. In fact more than every other year COMBINED.

I question the motives of those people who advocate the actions of some governments and their "fight against piracy". To me this whole thing seems like a Win-Win situation and for some reason there is always someone out there who is crying "THEFT" and trying to ruin this harmony. If everyone is profiting where is the "theft"?

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm
If it wasn't for pirated music, I would have never discovered most of my favourite music groups. 3nodding  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 pm
    It seems like society likes to scold piracy often enough so it doesn't have to feel as guilty committing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 pm
Second. I'm a pirate, and I have the hat ^_^ You can't get good imports anymore without going to San Francisco. Go Japan Town!!  

Izumi Iris

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Piracy Technically isn't theft = /

Theft is stealing a product. The original of it. Piracy is copying it. Therefor, you're not really stealing it, more just replicating it.

That's how I see it at least. It's not stealing in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:45 pm
Right, I think Piracy is a bad term for it i nthe first place.
Real pirates didn't copy stuff, they actually stole cargos and ships.
Software pirates, do not...as you said.

It would be awesome if the piracy groups actually would enter and hijack trucks carrying software, though...yarrr pirate

Also, while I don't think that piracy hurts the big publishers and companies a lot financially, it might be a problem for smaller studios...but they usually get supported, as wel as "good" software companies....
I also "half-think" that it's the reason for the uprise in casual games since those people are usually not very computer savvy (yes, that seems to include piracy...) and thus they are bigger cash cows than the rest.

The other reason, Ithink, is the huge popularisation and availability of game systems and games...

Kind of ironic that the people who claim to love games the most seem to pirate the most as well.
I guess supporting good game devs would have no meaning otherwise, ...hmm  

Serious Erius
Crew

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 pm
I'm not going to lie, I've downloaded many games in the past, and still do from time to time. The thing is, when I download a game, it's usually to try it out. If I like it, I'll consider buying it, or tell others how good it was so they can go buy it. I also delete them after playing them, so It's not like I KEEP them. Usually, if it's a small developer making the game, like Crayon Physics for example, I'll BUY that game if I like it. I show support for the little guys, because I like what they do =D

Also, for those of you who haven't played them -

AQUARIAS - Go download them demo and try it out, it's a pretty fun game.
Crayon Physics Deluxe - Go download them demo, play it a bit, then buy the full game, NOW. It's an addicting little b*****d of a physics simulator/puzzle game.

With that, I still don't think of it as stealing, but if you like a game or artist, buy their product to show your support! It's what Cthulu would do!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:52 am
As a rule I try to only pirate games I've owned or are too old to matter. While it is taking money from the company in their eyes (negative profit is still a kind of loss) I wasn't going to buy a copy of Morrowind for the computer when my brother had it for his X-box. And I'm sure as hell not rebuying Diablo. Most of the time I'd go without the game rather then buy it. As I run on Linux it's a bit of a gamble buy a game, it might not be compatible with Wine.

Erius, I'll tie a sail to my car and we will start to raid. You bring the scimitars.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:04 am

I am an old ATG member =]

I pirate games I want and if I like them I buy them

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
I am not a Mod but I am a regular and will always answer if you ask =]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:09 pm
I pirate music, but if I really like the album and artist, that is generally followed by buying every release I can get my paws on.

If I really like a band though, I'll usually buy other merchandise. More of that money goes to the band than from album sales--a majority of that goes to the record company.

I don't want to support the record company, I want to support the musicians. As for software, I try and find a freeware alternative before I try and find a pirated torrent.  

Novatierrie
Crew

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:42 pm
I'm not a pirate. What I do is not piracy, but "creative investigation."  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:12 pm
My ancestors were actually real pirates. 3nodding Back in Queen Elizabeth's day. They worked as "pirvateers" for her, and is it said that generation after generation became pirates until they became gold miners instead. theres even a story of them capturing a lost egyptian princess on one of their adventures! Pirate is in my blood! mrgreen  

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm
I usually don't download anymore... I used to be a massive pirate. I had Napster, Kazaa, Morpheus, LimeWire, and Ares.
Nowadays, though, I just use links from Project Playlist... and if I really like a band, I give them props by buying a CD or T-shirt or something. There are few bands that actually inspire me to spend anything more than that...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:57 pm
It's not my fault if I manage to download music without being charged and it stays on my computer and then later loads itself on my iPod. Seriously, I didn't think I saved half the downloaded songs that were on my computer. I thought I was just saving the page and it might work offline with the right player. But now I've got some Voltaire and such on my iPod and it was free. Free, I say! mrgreen

It's not my fault if the website doesn't charge me for content.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:59 pm
You're the first I've ever spoken to who knows Voltaire, Thal! surprised Hooray!  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff