Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 am

I am an old ATG member =]

I've been reading different movie articles and discovered that this:
Its a fault when someone kicks in and thereby breaks a bulletproof glass.

this seems to be an indication that since its bulletproof its supposed to be so hard that its shoe/boot proof as well, yet I hear and read conflicting ideas that while the glass is Bulletproof that doesn't mean you can't smash it with brute force.

Can anyone shed some light on the truth for meh?

Discuss:
This and similar hard to figure out facts
movie facts
Glass that shatters

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
I am not a Mod but I am a regular and will always answer if you ask =]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 am
Well, I found this:
Quote:
MAN TRIES TO BREAK BULLETPROOF GLASS WITH BARE BEHIND

Associated Press
May 31, 2002 09:00:00

HILLSBORO, Mo. - He may have buns of steel, but Jefferson County jail officials weren't impressed.

Authorities charged Garrette Bellew with second-degree property damage after trying to break a bulletproof window with his bare behind.

Authorities said Bellew, 21, allegedly dropped his pants, ran toward a door and struck it with his naked posterior while a guard was on the other side.

Bellew was awaiting trial on two counts of first-degree burglary in the May 19 incident. The property damage charge filed Thursday carries a fine of up to $1,000 and one year in jail.

It doesn't say whether or not he managed to... but I figured it might make someone smile.
With regards to whether a person can kick bulletproof glass and break it, this video shows that a rocket launcher can only punch through sometimes. Rocket launchers are a lot stronger than people, so I'm guessing that no, you can't break it just by kicking it.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 am

Well what you have to remember is Rocket's, Bullets and Throwing your feet at a window hits it differently and with difference forces of moment.

for example to withstand a bullet you need to be able to stop a high force impact in a very small area at any one time.
A rocket takes up slightly more space then a bullet but doesn't fly as fast and has a blast impact after detonating instead of when actually hitting.
Your feet have a wider area of impact compared to both and if you're kicking hard with momentum then the whole foot (or both feet) have the same amount of pressure and force at the same time when hitting the window meaning the window has to withstand pressure from Multiple locations at any one time.

that's what making it so hard to figure out. xD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 am
That's a good point. I wonder if you jumped on it, rather than kick it... O_o
Or, of course, you could try to stop with the heel - less impact area, but more concentrated force.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 am
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
That's a good point. I wonder if you jumped on it, rather than kick it... O_o
Or, of course, you could try to stop with the heel - less impact area, but more concentrated force.

Might be possible with the heel as its still a wider impact area then a bullet.
I don't think jumping would work as even standard house windows can be jumped on provided all edges are connected strongly. I might be wrong about that though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am
That's true. I'd say it depends on how far apart the mounts are from the epicenter of the kick. I'm trying to search for myths and facts on bpg right now. If I find anything, I'll try to put it up before work.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

God-The-RapistV1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 am
User Image
Hey I have an idea!

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 am

You do it GTR and see if it answers my question =3
far as I find it tells you it'll stop the likes of hammers and crowbars and they, when used, tend to hit with quiet a small surface area and will sometimes Crack the "glass". so basically it tells me what its made of and why it stops bullets but not if its possible to smash it if, in a new way of asking, you hit with high pressure over a wider surface area.

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 am
I tried that. It's all Obama-related, or how-to-make, or Pope-related. I'm looking on gun forums and myth-buster/snopes-esque sites. Thanks, though. biggrin
Edit: I sent an email to a representative of GAFFCO, a compnay that makes bulletproof glass. I have to get off to go to work, but hopefully they can shed some light on this. I'll post their respons as soon as I get it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:07 am
    I now want Mythbusters to test this and throw lots of random crap at bulletproof glass.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:44 pm
wakusei
    I now want Mythbusters to test this and throw lots of random crap at bulletproof glass.

Seconded.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 pm
User Image

I think they did already...
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Phaeton 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:56 pm
All bullet proof glass is is a cheap effort to be better than shatter resistant glass. It just does not break into massive jagged pieces when it breaks and hold together what's left much better than regular glass. All that means is easier clean up.

I remember seeing something about it on the discovery channel a long while back. It had to do with someone sitting on an old glass coffee table, the table broke and one of the big jagged pieces impaled and killed them.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm
Phaeton 2
All bullet proof glass is is a cheap effort to be better than shatter resistant glass. It just does not break into massive jagged pieces when it breaks and hold together what's left much better than regular glass. All that means is easier clean up.

I remember seeing something about it on the discovery channel a long while back. It had to do with someone sitting on an old glass coffee table, the table broke and one of the big jagged pieces impaled and killed them.

Death by big jagged glass up arse...
delightful xD

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain