You're a Child Not an Adult Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 pm
User Image
Lets just face facts. Most of the people who are going to read this are going to have some sort of angsty agenda to prove me wrong. To show the world that they are not part of the norm and that they are much more "mature" than the rest of their age group.

That's all well and good but I don't really care. Unless you can bring to me a map of your brain and proof of your age that shows the full development of the adult brain you're wrong about that as well. People do not mature fully until between the ages of 20 and 30 ( Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5327550.stm )

BUT even if you do, do those things, you will have completely missed the point of this thread. Aside from the fact that teenagers lack the physical capacity to be reasonable they also lack the actual point of this thread.

Comprehension of the Experiences they have gathered.

The things that people experience in theirs lives are subjective and it is perfectly reasonable to assume that many people have different levels of "life experience" at different rates.

For some people it is possible to go through most of their lives and live a quarter of the life that someone a quarter their age has but the elder person has the capacity to understand on an entirely different level what those experiences mean and how much weight they actually hold.

I must admit that when I was a teenager I felt as if I could comprehend at the same level as those of my elders and I have to say that some of them even amused themselves by placating to my ideals but I understand now that I have matured that what was then so clear and unrelenting was utter hogwash.

You might think that people all around you are trying to fight you or that they just don't understand you and that is not the case. They have a clear mind and a sense of rational that you lack so far in your life.

This is not to say that you do not have a valid opinion but this does mean that you are unable to formulate that opinion properly.

One day you will wake up and look around at the age groups you once were and see that their actions seem petty and small and very, very wrong and then you will have reached an epiphany. You will see as I do now that there was a cloud in your brain or hormones and angst that has been lifted like a veil from the eyes of a virgin bride.

Now I don't want you to think that this is an attack upon you and your kin. On the contrary this is a warning. Try not to act irrationally. This may be hard due to the fact that:

Quote:
The greatest changes to the parts of the brain that are responsible for impulse-control, judgement, decision-making, planning, organization and involved in other functions like emotion, occur in adolescence. This area of the brain (prefrontal cortex) does not reach full maturity until around age 25!
(Source: http://www.wellcast.org/2007/interesting-facts-about-the-teenage-brain/ )

But do not fret!

These things are all part of the development of the brain into adult natures. Without these irrationalities there would be no person behind those eyes. (Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPMP68QP698&eurl )

Now I wish for you to take a time and think about how often you change and how frequently the ideals and ideas your formulate, fluctuate. Please muse with me so that I may once again revel in the mind of a child.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 pm
I... actually can't argue with this. I'm 23 and I still think like a child sometimes. I don't mean in that arrogant way of everything for me, or I'm always right or you know any of that stuff but in the sense that most of the time I can't formulate my thoughts well. Hell, I'm pretty sure I have some good beliefs (whether or not they are isn't the case here) but I have a huge problem articulating those thoughts. It's part of the reason why my posts in here are so short. While I may have some very strong held beliefs, I'm completely incapable of posting them accurately and am very likely to have people misunderstand me. It really is part of the reason why I can't stand talking to teenagers most of the time, they prove they don't know what they're saying half the time and act as if they know everything when very rarely is it that simple. Of course, I'm not saying I ignore the posts of anyone in this guild who happens to be a teenager but if the person is being stupid and annoying I will make certain assumptions about their age BECAUSE of the reasoning above.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm
    I remember watching a video in my Psychology class in college and learning about the prefrontal cortex. It was something like younger people make decisions based a lot on the same areas that produce adrenaline or something so they overact more, etc. Interesting stuff.

I'm 24 and not about to try to determine how I think I behave. I'd probably be too biased... sweatdrop Other people can decide that. I'm sure I still have a good mixture of maturity and immaturity.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:31 pm
Heh... Actually, while I still have a fairly immature mind in a lot of ways, and I'm a fair bit older than you and most everyone else in this guild, GTR, I was one of the ones looking around at everyone else when I was in *high school* and found all the actions to be petty and small and very, very wrong. Maybe I was just ahead of my time. wink  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:36 pm
I thought that too when I was in high school aretoo, hell I still think that of half the college students around me, but I think the point is that you don't have all your reasoning skills at that time.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:54 pm
The only thing I disagree with is the wall of very bright red text. It's hard to read against a white background.

This is why I think the laws pertaining to adulthood are stupid. 18 years old no matter how smart they are or how ready they might think they are, are not capable of handling adulthood. I speak from experience and I'd say I'm pretty mature. The legal age of maturity should be 25. Life expectancy is on the rise we don't need to worry about pumping out 20 kids in the hopes that 8 of them will live to run the farm when we get old. It would save everyone some hardship.

And its all that winning about not being understood and having to fight everyone who says something to you that makes most teenagers mad annoying. But at the same time I've met some "adults" that are like that too did they just never "grow" out of that stage?

Edits: I guess I'm a child then.  

Kalib

Dangerous Admirer

13,365 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Married 100
  • Survivor 150

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 pm
User Image

"I don't wanna grow up! I'm a Toys 'R Us Kid"

rofl That's all I can think of when I read this!
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm
This is why I don't go into the ED anymore. It's full of teenagers that think that they know everything there is to know about the world and that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot. They don't want discussions. They just want alot of people to agree with them and stroke their egos a little.

I'm 20 and I know that I am immature but in the very laeast I think I'm getting a better sense of when to try and reign it in.

My brother is driving me nuts lately. He is 16 and has actually said to me that he considers himself an adult. He loved it last year when mum and dad went away for a holiday for two weeks, leaving us behind. He thought that he was just oh so mature living without them around. Of course, he barely had to raise a finger while they were away. I did everything: all of the cooking, washing, and cleaning in addition to doing my TAFE course and having a casual job. He just had to go to school then come home and muck around on the internet. stressed Yet somehow he thinks that he did something spectacular. Oh boy, is he ever going to get a shock come the day that he leaves home. lol  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

shiny dollar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm
Pfft. Yeah, as I mature I look back at times in my life when I thought I had reached full mental maturity and thought "God, I was stupid" but still, back then when I was like, 10, I always looked at the world in a different way than the other kids. See, I knew my brain was more mature. Still, I'm just a young teen but there've been many times where I've met adults who i just knew I was above intellectually and mentally, and it's not like there was anything wrong with them, I just looked at the world better than they did.

However, I maintain that I am a child not and adult. Children have more fun. This is my opinion.

This might be irrelevant...but I didn't really read all of the first post.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm
hahaha the only comment I have here is... "Whenever you point a finger at someone, you're pointing three more back at yourself."  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 pm
This is what I hated about my first girl friend. After she broke up with me she claiImed she became more 'mature' like I was immature or something. Personally, I think having to call yourself mature to reassure yourself makes you more immature. I definitely know I'm still pretty immature maybe not at some crazy level of immaturity, but I'm still coming to grips with the fact I'm engaged, and really really feeling lately that I'm probly not ready to be married even in 2 years when I'm done with college and in the navy. Plus I still don't know how to handle a lot of things I need to, and think things more fully. I still haven't truly been on my own and I kinda want that. And being engaged at this point in my life and getting married soon after college won't grant me that. I'll probly leave myself kinda stuck in being an immature bratland 'cause I'm starting to feel I'm not progressing...

BlaBlaBla anyways, I totally get what you're saying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:09 pm
Wow... There are people that still haven't grown up, just like me ^_^ C'mon, I don't know an adult who smiles as much as I do in this guild xp

@GRM: Now I have that song stuck in my head, thank you Y_Y

So Let's see. I'm younger than you Sanzo. By a year.
Waku has one year on you.
And I have two years on Terra.
W00T We're kids again!!!
I demand OtterPops now Y_Y  

Izumi Iris

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Izumi Iris
Wow... There are people that still haven't grown up, just like me ^_^ C'mon, I don't know an adult who smiles as much as I do in this guild xp

@GRM: Now I have that song stuck in my head, thank you Y_Y

So Let's see. I'm younger than you Sanzo. By a year.
Waku has one year on you.
And I have two years on Terra.
W00T We're kids again!!!
I demand OtterPops now Y_Y

Oh, yeah? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 pm
rofl-copters! You caught me. I'm not an adult...
Everyone's a chillin now 3nodding
And I so just saw the sp error, and I read right through it sweatdrop

OtterPops for the win ^_^  

Izumi Iris

Yggdrasiln

Backwoods Backpacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:33 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting if your are childish.
Being serious all the time can't be healthy for you anyways.

There is a line that must be drawn though.
Claiming false maturity is annoying, but over doing immaturity 24/7 is just as bad.
There's a need for a medium between serious and playful, you can be a very serious child you know.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff