Conspricy theories...
  Make me angry... >:[
  Make me sad. :'[
  Make me excited! :0
  Make me... >:3 ...GET IN THE CAR!
View Results

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 pm
Okay guys, for once I'm in the loop. Now I don't have any kind of reputable source for this, because I heard it from a friend of a friend, who's father is one of the higher ups in the development of the stuff I'm about to tell you about. You'll just have to take it in good faith.
everything stated in this post is fabricated or a rumor
So you know how there are all these conspiracies about how people are trying to develop the fabled ID chip, that'll carry all your personal info? Not only to identify you, but also to serve as your credit conduit, and all that? Well they're doing a lot more then that with it. I was just told about another segment of the over-project that they're calling CPR; Controlled Panic Response.
I made it up mainly as a joke
The purpose of this technology is to replace alarms and things. One of the larger problems in our modern world is that most people have become desensitized to alarms, whether they're car alarms or fire alarms. CPR handles that by working like a sort of electronically controlled Spidy-sense.
also so I could join the ranks of the conspiracy theorists
When they start issuing ID chips, a very small part of the processor will be dedicated to a particular frequency; the CPR frequency. When there's a fire, or a robbery, or another emergency in a building, a transmitter will emit that frequency, which will trigger the chip, which will send a shock to your brain that starts a low level panic response, with a reaction designated by the emergency at hand.
if you're reading these hidden messages, don't spoil the joke
So basically, if you're in a building and a fire starts, you'll suddenly want to leave the building, whether you know about the fire or not.
join in the fun with me! Fabricate something and keep the gag going
Of the small community of people who know about this, they are of course divided on the subject. Some people think that it's okay considering that they're only developing the technology with our safety in mind, while the majority are claiming that it's just glorified mind-control. I'm not sure what to think... what do you guys have to say?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:32 pm
User Image
SAUCE!

Seriously though, the most I have ever hard of ID chips were RFID chips and they are not powerful enough to cause any sort of "panic" signal.

I will agree that SOMETHING has to be done about the desensitization of people these days. It has to do with the fact that we see and hear disturbing things and images and sounds every day of our lives and it just keeps getting more and more realistic. That and the fact that we live in cities and large towns.

The more people there are to witness a crime the less likely someone is to try and help or to do something about the situation. It is a type of mob mentality (can't recall the exact name) that makes people think that SOMEONE ELSE will do something.

Piece of advice now that I've gone far off topic: Never call "Help" Say "Call 911. No one else has helped yet." A mouthful I am sure but it promotes a faster response.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV2.0

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 pm
    I find that rather interesting. It is very...mind control-y, and sounds very scary if it were put into the wrong hands. Alarms are very ignored though....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Well, I would be lying if I said this didn't bother me. Call me paranoid, but this sounds like it could be the first step in a mental conditioning program or something similar. And don't even get me started on religious connotations of chipping people. Then again, I'm in no position to oppose this sort of thing at the moment, so what do you expect us to do, Jimmy? Discontent only goes so far.
Not to sound like a jerk or anything... but people are generally rather powerless in these situations.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Paul Kattner

5,200 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:49 pm
I've seen and read enough dystopic sci-fi to know that this is a baaaaad idea. gonk Baaaaaaaad ideaaaaaa.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:11 am
Erverain
but people are generally rather powerless in these situations.
User Image

People are only powerless if they make themselves so.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

God-The-RapistV1

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 am
Once again the title of a perfect example has eluded my horrendous memory.

Back in high school, I read a short story in which inhabitants of some future year were outfitted at birth with a collar or earpiece of some sort. I don't remember which. Regardless, the device emitted a specific noise or sound to distract the wearer from thinking about anything rebellious or "outside the norm."

If any of you happen to know what I'm talking about and can spout off the name of aforementioned short story, please end my suffering. gonk

Anyway, this sounds a bit like that.

I am, however, very excited about this news. I've always been intensely fascinated by technological advances of any kind. Not to spark a heated debate, but I remember when I first heard of stem cell research. It sounds incredible.

We're dealing with the future here, if you'll pardon the expression. I think in the end, this little chip might just find its way into the brains of our children or their children. Scary though it might be, people will always be willing to trade just a little bit more of their liberty for the illusion of security and normality.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 pm
Nobody is putting a chip in me if it isn't made of potato or corn. I am no damn human cell phone. The government can just keep their GPS-disguised-as-something-to-look-helpful out of my body...I'm not going to be that easy to catch damn it!

Just let 'em try....

Seriously, if I think my a** is in danger, I'm getting out of there. I don't need technology to tell me how to save my own butt. I've been through a lot and I haven't died yet.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Catalog Cats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 pm
Bad idea. It'd help stupid people survive, further eliminating the survival of the fittest law.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:57 pm
If someone tries to put an electronic chip in me, I'm leaving the country. If I can't do that, I'll become a hermit and find some remote area of the wilderness and live off bugs and berries for the rest of my life.

While being alerted to danger more easily is a good idea, I'm disturbed at what else a chip like that could potentially do. The government has no right to control how I feel. I'd rather die then have a government issued anything decide how I should feel in any situation. I'm not saying that the concept is all bad, but I think people are too corrupt to just leave it as a, "Oh all it does is alert you to dangerous situations." I don't even like the idea of the ID chips. There isn't any way for me to truly know what is on that chip, or what it could be capable of, and I'm very distrustful of such things.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:04 pm
I'm currently hosting a contest in the ATG clan...

I don't like this. I value my freedom too much to have anything like this forced upon me.

...The prize is 5k. Why not swing by and check it out?

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:41 pm
Chipping in general is a bad idea. RFID is ridiculously easy to spoof or clone.

Mind control chips are unlikely based on how the brain works, but they're growing in likelihood more and more as tech progresses.

Regardless, I won't be chipped. If it comes to that, I'll move to the middle of nowhere out in the everglades. Or, I'll just screw up a ******** of chips using commonly available RFID spoofing/cloning/altering software.  

lazycommie

Oddplume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:09 am
A chip function to control human responses...

Wait till a terrorist gets their hands on the controls. I can't imagine the devastation something like that would cause. Like making it trigger so that people panic around other people all the time. The civilized world would come to a standstill. *Has played too much Resident Evil 5*

I mean come on. Natural danger sense is what little natural selection we have left for the species.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 am
@ Pisces: The story you're thinking of? Yeah, I think read it and forgot the name as well... the one I recall was a little different, though.
If you were intelligent or artistic or strong, then you would be fitted with a device to distract you, or weighted so that you were slow and clumsy. The point was for everyone to be the same by getting rid of the traits that made you special. Is that the one?
Re: RFID chips: Very, very, very wrong. Very scary and very wrong.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Azirru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:20 am
It's kinda cool. But what if, panic response is quite vast for me. Let's say u just got excited? Or in a reality tv show?  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff