I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Kids! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You were a child at one point, I take it?
  Of course! Wasn't everyone?
  Nope. I'm not human. ^_^
  Never. I never made any mistakes. I was blinked into existence supreme as I am now...
View Results

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 am
So, I got to talking with Roland in another thread about childhood things. Rather than continue to hijack that thread, I thought I'd make one for people to reminisce about the stupid things they did in their youth... or even the stupid things their babies do, for those of us that have bred.

In that spirit, I'll start us off: when I was younger, I started to eat things that weren't food. I don't know why. Paper, plastic pens, coke bottle labels, textbook pages, all kinds of stuff. Sometimes even now I put things in my mouth that I don't need to eat. rolleyes I don't know.

So! Get started, then. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:31 am
I'm currently hosting a contest in the ATG clan...

xd Well, it WAS my fault, killing fish with coca-cola and spaghetti-o's...

Anyway, as you pointed out: I never really understood why parents get so angry with their kids for doing such things either. I understand that they need to be taught that it's wrong, yes, but... Come on! They do these things when they are little because they are curious. Curiosity doesn't ALWAY kill the cat, ya know...

and on the subject of chewing on things that aren't food, I occasionally favor a piece of cloth over chewing gum. I don't know why, but... it just... yeah, I dunno. Shutting up now...

...The prize is 5k. Why not swing by and check it out?

User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 am
I once had a jacket that I LOVED that my mom bought for my dad when they loved each other (though she ended up keeping it.) I loved that jacket so much, I chewed the sleeves off... Like, the cuffs have been destroyed by my little teeth. I show you.
:runs off to find it and take pics:
Anyway, when it's a part of development, I think it's wrong to get upset with kids for doing stupid things... I mean, don't let them wreck the house and blame it on their curiosity, but just tell them stuff like, "coloring on the walls makes it a mural. Good job, you're such a great artist! Let's go get you some paper, okay? You can put the really good ones on the wall later." Before you know it, they'll have forgotten all about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:44 am

Yeah. And even stuff like um, say... destroying christmas presents by putting them in the water bowl under the tree. I understand that that's a costly mistake, but if the kid didn't know better, I feel it would be wrong to yell at them. Instead, give them one of the ruined presents so they know that hey, water + toys = bad idea. Then again, I don't claim to be good parent material, so...

User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am
I... uh gotta disagree with you Steph on something. While yeah I agree with you guys that its pointless to get mad at them and just scream at them for doing the wrong thing I don't think it should sound like you're saying its okay for them to do it either. I'm a bigger fan of calmly explaining that they shouldn't do that and instead do this, or be more careful because of this. Making it sound like "hey this is good but instead do this" just seems like you're sending the message that hey its okay to do it, just at certain times and well usually the things kids do, while cute, are things they really SHOULDN'T be doing.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56 am

Hrm, Sanzo has a point. Some kids are just too smart for their own damn good.

User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:03 am
Every now and then I come up with good points... even if those times are few and far between xd  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 am
I once covered my entire face in my mom's red rouge. She freaked out when she saw me because she thought I was sick xd When I told her it was just her makeup, she was relieved but not mad. I don't think it was particularly expensive stuff or anything.

Then once I drew hearts on the bottom of one of our coasters. I'd seen my sister do it, so I thought it was ok to do. I was soooooo upset when I realized it wasn't. When my mom asked me if I did it I think I got all upset. xd Pretty much I was the kind of kid who felt HORRIBLE if I did something bad. I had timeouts and was sent to my room now and again, but I always felt sincerely bad when I'd done something wrong, so my parents were never super hard on me.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 am
There's a great point, Sanzo. That was a bad example because, being an artist, I don't mind murals. I personally don't see anything wrong with (anyone) drawing on the walls... I'll likely have decorated my walls with my own drawing if I had my own place. That said, if it bothers you, tell your kids, "That was a unique idea, but it bugs me to have that on the wall. Try to only draw on paper, okay?" I just meant that it doesn't have to be a negative experience for everyone involved. There's always a nice way to tell your kids no.

@ Ro: Exactly. Or even explain to them the difference between "under the tree" and "in the tree's water pot." People try to underestimate the average child's ability to assess and comprehend. Tell them once with a smile, once with a frown, and then punish them for being obstinate. Answering their questions will make them coherent thinkers, IMO.

@ Kyla: That's so cute. How sweet. 4laugh

Pics of my (eaten) jacket:
User ImageUser Image
User ImageUser Image
User ImageUser Image  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:10 am
nummy jacket is nummy? And yeah that sounds a lot more reasonable to me Steph 3nodding

The only really stupid thing I remember doing when I was a kid was trying to take a kitty outside when a dog showed up in the house... needless to say I was a very badly scratched 5 year old.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 am

xd Mmmm.... denim.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 am
xd After a while, it started to taste salty rather than plain. I don't even want to know why.

When my sister and I were younger, she fed my baby fishes a year's worth of food while I was gone for a week. I came back to find them festering atop my bookcase... biggrin

We also used to run around naked as toddlers. Like, fully naked. My sis did it for years. My mom's family thought something was wrong with her. xd

Edit: Poor Sanzo! I bet that kitty felt really bad later.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 am
Maybe your parents started salting the denim to help it taste good xd

And you just reminded me... I saw a lot of naked baby butt when Pandy was younger....

I don't even remember what the cat did after that... I think it ran down the stairs and scurried away from the house  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:24 am
Poor kitty. Mine don't seem to like strangers. If there are other people out when I take them out (I got them harnesses!) they flip the ******** out. Tink panics like it's the end of the world.

I like to run around in panties still, which I guess is kind of stupid, since the windows are always open. Whatever. rolleyes

I used to use words I didn't understand completely, so I said a lot of really stupid things when I was learning to have conversations.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 am

Hide. From. Jaft.

User Image

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces