Submit

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:08 pm
So... a friend posted a link on Facebook with a 47-year-old woman on Britain's Got Talent. THIS clip.

I found it amazing. What do you think?

Aaaaaand time for the spoon-feeding.

Do you have talent(s)? What is it/are they?
Do you appreciate others' talents? Why/why not?
Do you think every celebrity has talent? *cough* She Bang *cough*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:56 pm
aretoo
So... a friend posted a link on Facebook with a 47-year-old woman on Britain's Got Talent. THIS clip.

I found it amazing. What do you think?

Aaaaaand time for the spoon-feeding.

Do you have talent(s)? What is it/are they?
Do you appreciate others' talents? Why/why not?
Do you think every celebrity has talent? *cough* She Bang *cough*

Everyone has talent to some extent. It's just a matter of if people USE it or not. "celebrities" have talent, although it's rarely actual musical/entertainment that is what they've got, but rather charisma and quick thinking skills sufficient to get and stay in the limelight.

As for my talents? "making things go my way via apathy" counts, right?  

lazycommie

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 am
I don't believe in the word 'talent' . It implies that the person who has said ability just has it naturally -- as if he (scholarly) did nothing to get there. As bad as it sound, I don't believe it, because I believe people who have 'talent' have trained hard and worked hard to get the skills that they had. Some things come naturally and some people have alright abilities without working on it. But without some work on it, it doesn't truly become talent.

As for the things I've worked on that could be considered talent: playing violin, singing, cooking (particularly baking and candies), graphic design, steaming milk and cream, making cafe drinks, being helpful to customers, and some other things I can't remember. I'm not particularly good at them, but they are things that I have worked on.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm
I seem to have this talent wwith people that they will just spill anything and almost everything, even thought they have not known me for very long. And I am talking stuff that you tell your best friend till you've been friends for over a year, they will tell me with a week of knowning me. 0.o.....Its crazy, and thus has hepled put me in the direction of my career, counsling!! mrgreen  

YukiOfTheMightnightHour

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

124-C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm
I think every family member I have has sent me that retarded video... My mom brings the damn thing up every time that there's a group of people and the whole thing is starting to get on my nerves. Ok, she can sing. She's still not particularly nice to look at.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:27 pm
I can wiggle my ears...and I have freakish natural skill at skee-ball.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:47 pm
I have the talent of being the only person allowed to hug EVERYBODY, even those people who normally don't like to be touched.

I just watched the link and that woman is amazing great voice. I hope the best for her, real talent is so hard to find nowadays.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm
I think that lady has a lovely, lovely voice. She has an extraordinary talent, but that doesn't mean I'd pay to listen to her. The whole thing makes me kind of ill. People are incapable of just saying she's an incredible vocalist. It's all, "She's so frumpy/ugly/dowdy! But...she can SING."
Everyone's fascinated by her the same way they're fascinated by...a two-headed sheep or a car accident or something. : /

It's all well and good for people to momentarily tsktsk themselves for having judged a book by it's cover, but I worry what will happen to this poor woman. You know, after these vultures have used her up and wrung every bloody cent out of her during her 15 minutes of fame. Will she have a serious career as a singer, or will she end up like almost every other "star" of those talent shows?

Anyway. Enough of my ranting. I'm probably just being cynical. As for myself, I haven't any talents that I'm aware of.

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:26 pm
That whole thing reminds me of the Simpsons' episode where Homer gets injured and can suddenly sing well, but only if he's on his back. That whole freak show fascination thing is a bit odd. As for me, I didn't know if her singing was good or not until someone else said it was...I just don't have an ear for that kind of thing when it comes to female singers.

As for talent, there are lots of things I'm averagely good at, but nothing I'd claim to be overly talented at. I consider having a talent to mean being particularly well skilled, more so than the average person. Other people I know may think otherwise, but they don't really count since I don't view them as skilled judges for my abilities.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm
Hrm... Personally, I'd call one's talents those innate abilities to which one is inclined to excel, and once one uses them and hones them, they become skills. But maybe that's just me. wink  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

shiny dollar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:07 am
Oh. I remember hearing about that. What a show stealer.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 am
shiny dollar

rolleyes Yeah seriously! How dare somebody be good at something and share their abilities with other people! Everybody knows that if you're good at something you should just let it all go to waste and never use it to better your life. Gee it's fun to hate everything!  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:37 am
I love that woman's voice and I'm glad she's getting a moment in the spotlight smile
Too many contestants don't have a voice worth listening to and they're just..nice to look at...which doesn't come into play when I put songs on my playlist or buy a CD so yeah...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 am
Kyla_Ewens
shiny dollar

rolleyes Yeah seriously! How dare somebody be good at something and share their abilities with other people! Everybody knows that if you're good at something you should just let it all go to waste and never use it to better your life. Gee it's fun to hate everything!

o_O I fail to see the connection between what you're saying, and the post you quoted.

Commenting on how this woman's incredible talent stole the show (a positive thing to say) somehow means she hates everything...?

Whut??  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:42 am
Maybe I misread the intention behind the comment. Usually when I hear someone refered to as a "show stealer" it's in a negative context (like somebody trying to hog all the glory or something), so that's what I assumed. If it was in a positive context, then I was mistaken.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff