Reply Community Lounge
Runes, Tarot, and other forms of divination Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm
Does anyone here own a set of runes or a tarot deck?

I myself own some smokey quartz runes and use them every once in a while. I've tried tarot but it doesn't speak to me in the same way as runes (but I guess having some Nordic blood in my veins works to that effect... though I'm half random slavic gypsy too).

I find that they can be quite the accurate tool and do enjoy them, though I don't hang my entire life around my readings.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:20 pm
I'm currently hosting a contest in the ATG clan...

Never really used them, though I am curious. Really curious. I think that maybe next week, I will head off to a local shop called "Mystic Wonders" That offers reading like that. It will give me something to di next week xd

...The prize is 5k. Why not swing by and check it out?

User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:23 pm
We've got a deck of tarot cards floating around our house somewhere. Never much believed in them, though. Perhaps because they never seem to be accurate when it concerns me.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 pm
I own a tarot deck, and I do think they work, but I also think there's a reason why they work. I think tarot cards are good because they sometimes get people to think and focus on things that they might not otherwise. However, I think that tarot readings can be interpereted in very broad and general terms. One general meaning might have many potential meanings. For example, if someone gets...let's say someone gets the death card, face up. The Death card usually represents a major life change, and symbolizes both Death, and new life. The end of one thing, and the start of another thing. Just about anybody can think of a point in their life where one major thing ended and a new major thing started.

But I do think they serve a good purpose. I think they can make people focus on whatever is bothering them, or stressing them out, or holding them back, and I think things like Tarot cards can make people think harder about certain things, and even make better decisions. So I don't really discredit them or anything, but I don't believe that they're 100% driven by mystical forces or anything. I took a tarot reading class once, and it was really cool. I had total respect for the guy who taught the class too. 3nodding He definatley belived in a deeper mysticism behind the cards and I didn't think any less of him for it. Just personally, I think there's a more logical force behind tarot cards than a mystic one. 3nodding  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm
Considering we as humans use so little of our brains I think that kind of focus be it in reading divination/meditating/praying all does more or less the same thing the way that you just described.

I have neither of said items but I think it would be neat to have a deck of one or a bag of the other. .. even for the very superficial reason that some of them are very pretty xd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:43 pm
I'm borrowing tarot cards to do a reading booth at a renaissance fair  

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

azulmagia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:28 pm
I have both a bag of runes and two Taror decks.

I'm not sure how useful they are though. Sometimes a good or even great answer is given, sometimes it's worthless.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm
My dad has the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck, which I use. I like it because the images on the cards are colourful and have a lot of small details that say a lot. I use an unconventional reading style, which works a lot better for me than any style I've seen in books or anything. It's kinda hard to explain, easier to show. Also, I've just gone over looking at all the cards and gradually deciding what I think each of them mean. Some of them, of course, mean something specific, but others, like, say, the cups and the swords, well, I think cups represent the world and the swords represent conflict. Other sources say otherwise. But oh well, it works for me. :3

*is too tired to say much more, and fears that what is there already makes no sense*  

Kerrigan_dragon

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:03 am
User Image

I've always been taught to steer clear of Tarot decks, everyone reckons their sole purpose is to summon the Devil or something. xd

I had a reading done by a friend once, but I don't put much stock in his abilities.

I might pop into "Sacred Moon" and see if they do any Rune reading sets, it could be fun to learn them. Though from what I've read online, most books like to give you an "Odin rune" or a blank rune, and (according to a site I found) they're utter rubbish.

xd

It'd be nice to get a set, so when my sister gives me the money she owes me I'll see about it. biggrin

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:41 am
Elcia
Considering we as humans use so little of our brains I think that kind of focus be it in reading divination/meditating/praying all does more or less the same thing the way that you just described.

I have neither of said items but I think it would be neat to have a deck of one or a bag of the other. .. even for the very superficial reason that some of them are very pretty xd
User Image

100%.

We use 100% of our Brains.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

God-The-RapistV2.0

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 am
God-The-RapistV2.0
Elcia

User Image

100%.

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

Go find a scientist who studies the human brain and ask them whether or not we use the entirety of our brain. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:16 am
User Image

We do actively use 100% of our brain, but as to if we use it to its fullest potential is a point of contention.

biggrin

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 am
So, to sum up: We use our entire brain, but only to about 10% of its capacity, according to common belief. ^_^

Now, back to the topic at hand: I find such things fascinating, but don't put much faith in their outcomes. Agnostic, I guess you'd say. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:30 am
Elcia
God-The-RapistV2.0
Elcia

User Image

100%.

Go find a scientist who studies the human brain and ask them whether or not we use the entirety of our brain. biggrin
User Image

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/dau82k

We use 100% of our brain almost 100% of the time. It is constantly active doing passive work that our body needs to survive. Like regulating your body temperature or your heart rate or telling your body how much or how little of a certain chemical you need. Even the things that arn't passive like movement and cognitive reasoning take up passive actions in your brain.

If you were to only use a portion of your brain your abilities to interact with the world would be drastically reduced.

It's even a misconception that we only use 10% at a time.

Mostly this is from MRI's that we have taken of the brain and a lay person trying to explain it. The reason that it SEEMS that we are only using certain portions is because they are "lit up" this actually only means that they are the MOST active part of the brain. While watching an MRI you can see that the brain is, if nothing is wrong, entirely Grey. This means that those parts of the brain are creating a a "passive" signal.

If it were not being used at all it would appear BLACK. This is what also happens when there are dead portions of the brain.

God-The-RapistV2.0

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 am
Bass20XX
User Image

I've always been taught to steer clear of Tarot decks, everyone reckons their sole purpose is to summon the Devil or something. xd

I had a reading done by a friend once, but I don't put much stock in his abilities.

I might pop into "Sacred Moon" and see if they do any Rune reading sets, it could be fun to learn them. Though from what I've read online, most books like to give you an "Odin rune" or a blank rune, and (according to a site I found) they're utter rubbish.

xd

It'd be nice to get a set, so when my sister gives me the money she owes me I'll see about it. biggrin

User Image

As to whether the blank rune is utter rubbish is up to personal interpretation. I use mine and if you don't want to use yours just take it out and save it in case you lose one and need to carve a new one. But I like it, it adds a little bit more depth to your casts and as a modern rune caster it's just a nice addition.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff