Words, People Don't Know What They Mean! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:04 am
User Image

I was looking over my facebook and this one chick who is dating my friend has this up:

"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DARLING!!!♥ ♥ 9 months smile "

If you don't know where the error is, get the ******** out of this thread right now! It's way over your head! As to the others, how do people NOT know what an anniversary is?! I just can't fathom this lack of knowledge, and I'm not calling myself overly intelligent because I know I'm not, but ********, at least I'm smart enough to know certain words mean!

Like spoiled, I hate when people say "Oh I'm spoiling my children" when they give them a gift every now and then. No you're ******** not! You're letting your child know you care about them and think about them even when they're not there. Now if you're always giving them something then yes maybe you're spoiling them. I also hate when GTR's grandmother says I spoil my children with what I feed them, I'm not even going to get into that one!

So here's my question to you ATG, What other words do you hear/see people use in the completely wrong context?
User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 am
User Image

Hmm, I dunno about other people but I'm still not entirely sure what Irony is. I've read loads of descriptions as to what it is, but it all just sounds like sarcasm to me. Or maybe I've got sarcasm wrong...

Something one of my friends is always quick to correct is when someone says that something is "broke". We always, without fail, get subjected to "It's not broke, it's broken. I am broke. Get it right."

xd

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:46 pm
With the anniversary thing, people do that because maybe it's an accomplishment to get that far and they just say things like that... colloquialism?. What's a better word besides anniversary for that type of situation?

Well, Bass, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ahaha.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:06 pm
Hm I guess the closest thing I can think of would be when someone says something nonsensical and claims it's completely "random" and that they themselves are "random" and "crazy".

I'm so sick of random -_-  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:21 pm
I'm crazy and random.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:27 pm
stare  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 pm
Alarias
stare

But it's twoo~ o3o  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 pm
I am an old ATG member =]

Its true Alaris =D he's so random that we can predict it!

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm
Haha... You said "dict". biggrin

I usually playfully rip on people for using words for the wrong definitions, both dictionary and cultural, but I can't remember any specific words that bother me much.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:56 pm

As far as I am aware the spoiling thing is used so often I ignore it.
I don't know the real meaning of anniversary but I assume it means something to do with Year?

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:59 pm
-_- shoulda just kept my mouth shut fingers...uh stilled.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm
Alarias
-_- shoulda just kept my mouth shut fingers...uh stilled.

Cheer up. 8D

Help me think of more words.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:23 pm
Maybe she's one of those idiots that does those 'monthly anniversaries.' Which is such a stupid thing to do >.< Anniversaries are supposed to be special events, they're supposed to be meaningful, and when you do it monthly or tri-annually or s**t like that, you're wearing it down to something as trivial and boring as a Tuesday.
[/rant]

As for word folks get wrong all the time, I...really can't think of any right now sweatdrop Sorry....Hopefully it'll come to me later, but at the moment, nothing.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:32 pm
invisible-weirdo
Maybe she's one of those idiots that does those 'monthly anniversaries.' Which is such a stupid thing to do >.< Anniversaries are supposed to be special events, they're supposed to be meaningful, and when you do it monthly or tri-annually or s**t like that, you're wearing it down to something as trivial and boring as a Tuesday.
[/rant]

As for word folks get wrong all the time, I...really can't think of any right now sweatdrop Sorry....Hopefully it'll come to me later, but at the moment, nothing.

You got something against Tuesdays maybe?

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:56 pm
Shram, yes anniversary has something to do with year... "anni-" has the same root and origins as "annus" (think Latin there) and the "-versary" part comes from "versus", pp. of vertere "to turn"

Bass: Something IS broken, or it broke. Broke being the past tense of "to break." Broken is an adjective. Broke is a verb. The two cannot be used interchangeably except in the case of the modern vernacular "I am broke," meaning "I have no money," which comes from the term "he broke the bank."

Also Bass: Sarcasm is a type of irony where one says the exact opposite of what one means and uses tone of voice to indicate that while the words are saying "Gee, thanks for that!" what the speaker really means is "******** you, jerk!" There are other forms of irony that are NOT sarcasm. Rain on your wedding day is not one of them.

Another example of verbal irony: As sharp as a bowling ball. Clear as mud. Stuff like that.

Dramatic irony shows up in performance art a lot. It's where you know that "beaver" is a dirty word in the right context, but the person who keeps talking about how he went to a lady's house to see her beaver, and petted it, and it was softer than he expected, and so on, just thinks "beaver" is a mammal with an affinity for water.

Situational irony, I think, is what Alanis was trying (and largely failing) to portray in her song "Ironic." What she was talking about was Murphy's Law. Some schools of thought actually see this as a form of irony, but your English teacher will disagree.

Examples of actual situational irony: Johnny teases his friends for having chicken pox. Then he gets chicken pox worse than any of them had it. It's a weak example, but meh.

GRM: Some people say they are spoiling their kids in order to beat everyone else to the punch, especially if they grew up in an environment where kids were only given the things they needed, and the fun gifts were only for birthdays and christmasses. It's more of a deflection thing.

Personally I think that people LITERALLY spoil their children by regularly feeding them junk food. It makes them full so they won't eat food containing actual nutrients needed for proper brain and body development, and much junk food has a negative effect on the body. McDonald's once a week is too much for a developing child. Once or twice a month is okay. In this case, I think of the word "spoiled" in the same sense as it is used for food -- ruined, gone bad, gone to waste. This is what happens to children with improper diets.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff