Submit

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:32 am
Now, for those that have not read the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King, I will point this out: My username, Roland Deschain, is the name of the main character from this epic saga. That aside, I will get to the matter at hand.

Here I am, awake at 4:30 a.m., looking for a new wallpaper. In one of the image descriptions, I see something about a Dark Tower TV show. Naturally, I couldn't skip it xd

Here is the page. You have to scroll down a bit, but it's not hard to find. I shall quote it here anyway, I'm just giving you the source. This was posted on April 29, 2009.

Quote:
"Lost celebrates its 100th episode tonight, with the eventual goal somewhere around 125 episodes. In case you don’t know, it’ll all wrap up next spring. And after it’s over, J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof may finally get to work on one of the more ambitious adaptations you can even imagine: Stephen King’s Dark Tower.

"Abrams’ Bad Robot earned the rights to the project back in 2007, after Abrams and Lindelof met with Stephen King. And it looks like the day is nearing when The Dark Tower will move to the front burner. “Damon is obviously still on Lost, we’ve been working on Star Trek together,” Abrams told IGN.

“As soon as Lost is done, hopefully we’ll get to begin tackling that.”

So, needless to say, I'm happy about it. Though I do have a few conflicting feelings. Having never watched "Lost" all I can do is hope that it is indeed a good series.

So, spoonfeed time I suppose. I ask you this ATG: Are there any books that you have read, that you would like to see turned into a movie or tv series? Are, for those that have read the Dark Tower series, what are your thoughts on this new development? (It's news to me, at least)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:20 am
Being a huge fan of Lost...I heard of this a while ago and have started collecting the Dark Tower books to read this summer, along with the Dark Tower comics... whee

Lost is very largely influenced by several Stephen King works...the creators are big fans of his. So for the Dark Tower to go into the hands of Lindelof and Abrams is, I'd say, a good thing. I'd imagine they'd do their best to remain faithful to the story.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 am
User Image

I started watching lost, but got seriously annoyed with it quite quickly.

I was with it when they had just crashed on the island. Y'know, they're trying to survive on a desert island. It was kinda cool to watch that, but I got pissed off when the ******** polar bears and that black smog monster thing appeared. talk2hand

I'd love to see the Nights Dawn trilogy adapted into a movie or TV series if it's done properly, but the books are absolutely huge so I'm not entirely sure if any script would be able to fit any where near enough into the movie unless they split each book into at least 3 parts. Which is what should probably have been done with the Harry Potter movies.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:09 am
Bass20XX
User Image

I was with it when they had just crashed on the island. Y'know, they're trying to survive on a desert island. It was kinda cool to watch that, but I got pissed off when the ******** polar bears and that black smog monster thing appeared. talk2hand

User Image

Haha, seeing as how the polar bear and smoke monster both show up in the pilot episode, looks like you gave up mighty quickly!

The Island used to be inhabited by a large community of scientific researchers who did various experiments...including ones on polar bears and their adaption to a tropical climate. If that helps any.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 am
User Image

I think I missed the first couple of episodes, but I distinctly remember the polar bears appearing later on and me going "Oh nuts to that, Polar bears can't live on a desert island!"

xd

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 am
Well, there was a reason for their being there!  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 am
User Image

Oh, I don't doubt that. I just missed far too much of the series to actually be able to understand it all. Then I missed out a huge chunk in the middle and got even more confused.

biggrin

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 am
Lost is definitely a show you can't just watch here and there. It's all or nothin'!

Otherwise it's like solving a puzzle with all white pieces...@.@

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am
wakusei
Being a huge fan of Lost...I heard of this a while ago and have started collecting the Dark Tower books to read this summer, along with the Dark Tower comics... whee

Lost is very largely influenced by several Stephen King works...the creators are big fans of his. So for the Dark Tower to go into the hands of Lindelof and Abrams is, I'd say, a good thing. I'd imagine they'd do their best to remain faithful to the story.
This is excellent news to my ears. It took me a while to get to sleep after seeing this xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 am
Check out Dark Tower references in Lost, as well as references to other Stephen King books.  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:50 am
Wow. Now I'm interested, though it would take me forever to catch up xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am
Ya got 8 months before the final season airs!

You can watch Lost, and I can read The Dark Tower series. It'd be like a trade-off.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:58 am
I'd have to see if I can find a download, or if I can just find it online. Sounds like a plan though, I'm curious now xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 pm
0-0Roland Deschain0-0
I'd have to see if I can find a download, or if I can just find it online. Sounds like a plan though, I'm curious now xd

You can find all the episodes to watch online. Through abc or hulu or some such thing...I forget exactly where. The only ones missing are the first several episodes of this past season. For some reason, they are not available... sad

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:04 pm
Huh. Mayhaps I'll start it tonight then. I can always just have my dad download this last season, so I don't have to miss anything. biggrin  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff