I'm too damn nosy sometimes... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:13 am
So as lots of people in this guild do, I read a lot of webcomics. We've made lists before I'm not going to make one. I also lurk... a lot... in the forums of these webcomics cause well... I like to read and hear what other people think of these comics and also to see if I missed anything I wouldn't have otherwise caught on my own. During my lurking I came upon a situation that... bugged the hell out of me. Just like any fangirl, I'm used to weird as hell pairings made that make no sense so I wasn't bothered when some people in the forum paired up some people that well... made no sense. Apparently one of the forums mods DID have a problem. Enough of a problem that he temp-banned two of the people who were pairing for "being creepy". To top things off, the creator of the webcomic officially sanctioned this and said it was okay for mods to perma-ban just for being "creepy" and pairing characters. I dunno this really really bothers me, enough to ask you guys. Is this fair? Is this a huge abuse of power here? I mean you're supposed to be able to express your feelings in forums about a certain subject, the webcomic in this case, and now the mods and creator of the site are censoring that? It's not like that's going to stop the shippers anyway. Yes, yes I know not really important when it comes down to it, but honestly, how would you like it if we started banning you guys for being "creepy"?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 am
If they weren't getting to...uh...detailed in inappropriate ways about who they were shipping, then yeah...that's really not fair.

Personally, I've never really gotten going for couples who aren't at least hopeful of being canon, but I'd never punish other people for having fun imagining up their own. Regardless of how little sense it makes.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm
They were saying names... that's it. Nothing graphic, no details, just "oh this person and this person would be hot", "_____ and ____ would be interesting" or the lamest one to get banned for "____ and ___ would be funny"

There are plenty of shippings that do not make sense to me in the least but seriously? Ban people just for making it up? Real mature... just wow.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 pm
Um ... banning people for being ''creepy?" Isn't that, uh, called ... discrimination?  

XxDarkMalicexX

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:36 pm
It's his forum so fairness doesn't really factor in it. It's not a democracy or anything on the internet and people on the forums know that going in. Some people like arbitrary rules.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 pm
I suppose you could say that.. I would call it more an abuse of power.

@Omni oh I know its his forum and I know he has the power to do what he wants, I just think its an abuse of power and well... kind of stupid  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

XxDarkMalicexX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:11 pm
Oh, yeah you're right. It's an abuse of power, not discrimination. But still, that's just wrong and unfair.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 pm
I don't think it's an abuse of power and I don't think it is unfair. If people want to twist his creation around into something he never intended it to be, they can do it somewhere else. He doesn't have to tolerate it on his forum.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 pm
Sanzoskitsune
I suppose you could say that.. I would call it more an abuse of power.

@Omni oh I know its his forum and I know he has the power to do what he wants, I just think its an abuse of power and well... kind of stupid

Yeah but that's the kind of thing you know about going in.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 am
User Image

I agree with Kals on this one. As it's HIS creation and HIS forum when all is said and done, he has the right to kick out anyone he wants for whatever.

Lets put it this way, say you invited a whole bunch of people over to your house to discuss things, and you found some people to really bother you, for whatever reason. You have every right in the world to not only ask them to leave but to never come back as well.

In short, your property/belongings/creations, your say.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Grim Undertow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 pm
Their forum, their web comic, their rules. If they define creepy, and prosecute all those who violate their definition, then it is perfectly fair. Unreasonable, maybe, but fair. Just because you don't like or agree with something doesn't mean that said thing isn't fair. Now if they haven't defined what is "creepy" adequately, or haven't prosecuted others who have crossed that border, then yes, I'd have to say that isn't fair. Of course, it being their forum and their web comic, it's still their choice, fair or not.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:49 pm
Hmm, I'm conflicted on this.

The creator of the webcomic should be able to do what they want in their forums. However, the point of a webcomic forum is usually for people to talk, give opinions, give feedback, and invent insane theories for plot twists. So I guess it all really depends on the forum rules. If it wasn't already stated somewhere that someone could be banned for pairing characters, or being "creepy", then it's really not fair. But if it was already stated, then there isn't much to object to. At least, not in my opinion.  

Slightly Blue

3,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150

XxDarkMalicexX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:44 pm
Slightly Blue

The creator of the webcomic should be able to do what they want in their forums. However, the point of a webcomic forum is usually for people to talk, give opinions, give feedback, and invent insane theories for plot twists. So I guess it all really depends on the forum rules. If it wasn't already stated somewhere that someone could be banned for pairing characters, or being "creepy", then it's really not fair. But if it was already stated, then there isn't much to object to. At least, not in my opinion.

I agree with Blue.
The state of the matter if it wasn't already stated, then there was no reason for the people did what they did. Maybe they needed to be a bit more clear as to what they were expecting for people to talk about, etc. Communication is key and choosing your words correctly is too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:42 pm
Yeah the whole creepy thing wasn't stated in the rules... it was just something the creator of the webcomic decided AFTER a mod had already done the temp-ban thing... that's why it seemed a little "errr okay..." to me  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Blade_With_A_Name_On_It

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 pm
what the hell kind of s**t is that? i've been in PG-13 forums that have kids shipping pairings all the time. and some of the shipping gets into full on, hardcore, NC-17 s**t. they never got banned. they were asked to stop, but they didn't, and they never got banned. not even a temp. ban. one group actually involved the creator in the pairing. well, it was a "pairing" of six people, including the author. they didn't even get banned.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff