Submit

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:31 pm
Who can't sleep?! This guy! Grr it makes me so mad. It's been a problem with me lately, seriously. You put me to try to and go to sleep and my mind suddenly decides to wander to the edge of the universe and back and doesn't decide to return for a while. Tonight it's even a bigger problem because I have legit problems right now. But, on a normal night my mind still wanders and races everywhere and I'm not trying to. You seriously can't leave me alone in the dark with my thoughts, it sucks lately. So, anyways...

Do you guys often find yourselves unable to fall asleep?
Where does your mind wander?
How do you cope?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 pm
I've been having issues sleeping as late as well. Waking up at 8:41 and not being able to sleep until 5 AM was not fun.

I know what I do to get to sleep, but it's not something I will state on such a public forum.  

Indigo Project

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:01 am
Last night was the first night I managed to sleep right through this week. A head cold and sore throat has been keeping me up through the night this past week and turning me into a bit of a zombie at work.

If it's late, I find that watching something on tv will usually start me nodding off. I used to always need to read before bed to wind down when I was younger but these days I find that feeding my already over active imagination with a good book before bed can sometimes be as much as a set back because if I didn't reach the end then my brain will want to create it's own before I can sleep.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 am
I keep books of logic puzzles and crossword puzzles by the bed and work on them until my brain can't stay awake any longer. *shrug* Your mileage may vary. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 am
It takes me a good few hours to sleep if our TV is off at night. My brain wanders to horrible thoughts and likes to scare the s**t out of me keep me awake.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 am
My mind usually goes from thought to thought to thought, like a very busy hummingbird. Usually when that happens (And it always does) I let it go to work in a more directed manner and make up all kinds of things. At one point or another I imagine going to sleep and I eventually do.

Or you could just keep pen and paper at your side and write all kinds of things that are bothering you there in the dark and laugh in the morning cause you can't read any of it.  

Senryoske

Blade_With_A_Name_On_It

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 am
"In-Freaking-SOMNIA!"
.... i love that

but don't worry, i'm the same way. i can never sleep unless it's terribly inconvieniant. like in algebra durring the final exam. gonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:05 am
I am an old ATG member =]

I sleep well anywhere...
I slept outside in a sleeping bag in the middle of the group (school trip) and I woke at 10 am when the sun was high... the breakfast eating, buzzing about and people stepping on me didn't wake me...
but if I sleep in my room (I still sleep well) any disturbance to items, door and/or alarm makes me wake almost instantly.
however I hate my alarm so I just hit it and sleep again.

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yggdrasiln

Backwoods Backpacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:41 pm

I've been dealing with insomnia since grade school, so I'm fairly used to it. Most of the time I deal with it by listening to music for an hour, then trying to sleep. In my worst case scenarios I take medication for it, but I don't think that meds are the answer to everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:29 pm
I hate insomnia. I need at least 6 hours of sleep to function. Ideally, 8 or 9. I routinely sleep 10 hours or more on my days off.

The worst is being exhausted, physically and mentally, and still not being able to shut off my brain and just rest.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:03 pm
10 hours of sleep...? aretoo can't quite conceive of sleeping that long. eek sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 pm
I've slept for like 14 hours before. Not counting when I'm sick, because then all I want to do is sleep.

If I sleep for more than 10 hours, I get headaches. If I sleep less than 6 hours, I get headaches. =/ If I don't sleep well, I get headaches.

...You get the picture. (A butterfly flaps its wings in Tibet, I get a headache.)  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 pm
sad aretoo gets an average of about 6 hours of sleep a night; on a REALLY good night, he gets 8. That's rare, though. His brain won't let him be abed any later than 9. XP  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm
I think the reason I like sleeping so much is because of the bouts of insomnia. I try to get as much sleep as possible when I'm able to do so.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 pm
My brother read something on the subject recently.
So here's a few tips:

1. Don't eat for at least 3hours before bed, its not good for you to start with. And don't drink coffee after about 6 pm.

2. Block out any and all light if you can help it. Even a little light can make it hard to sleep. I personally have this problem I even have to throw stuff over my radio because it's so bright.
Also the bright computer or even those extra bright day light emulating lights should be avoided before bed. They mess with your body's light sensitive internal clock.

3. It is also good to do absolutely nothing for about an hour before bed. Which I can't see working into any regular person's life. So the next best thing is finding soothing, mind numbing things to do. Music or Aretoo's puzzle idea actually sounds good.

That said I fail at all these suggestions on a regular basis. xd
And I find it rather annoying when I get into bed and then that is when my imagination decides it has a ton of stuff to show me. And Murphy's law makes sure its on nights when I have things to do in the morning.
However, generally once I'm asleep I might as well be an inanimate object, I don't even move much in my sleep. And you wont meet a very pleased person unless its been 8-10 hours later.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff