View Results

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 am
I shall copypasta this from my DeviantArt journal xD;

World Vision Australia
"The Global Food Crisis is the first time in human history that a food crisis has been brought on by so many different causes, from around the world, that are simultaneously affecting people’s ability to get food.

There are over 900 million chronically hungry people around the world, and approximately 1.4 billion live in extreme poverty.
arrow Children and families in 33 countries are suffering from the effects of the Global Food Crisis.
arrow Malnourished children are more likely to die from ordinary illnesses like diarrhoea, malaria, tuberculosis and respiratory disease.
arrow 25,000 children die from hunger and preventable diseases every day.

Children are under threat of starvation and are most vulnerable when times get tough. The Global Food Crisis denies children their basic right to adequate food and nutrition."

Don't be put off by this, because there is something you can do to help!
And don't worry, you're not the one who'll have to go through this 40 hour famine. I'll be the one suffering by starving myself for a weekend xD; (wish me luck~!)

All you have to do is donate a little bit of your time (and money) by clicking THIS LINK, selecting the first option and entering in the code like so:

Quote:

I wish to make a donation to a 40 Hour Famine participant
Please enter their Receipt Book number or their Famine number: 29001027-1

When you're checking the number;

Quote:

Sefton High School [Group]
Sefton High School [Organisation]

Should come up. (:

40AUD can help 5 children in Kenya or Cambodia for one month.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING THIS. *flails* heart

I shall update my progress here : D

so far: $121.05 Australian

EDIT:
What fund raising activities have you participated into? They don't have to be poverty-related ones.
What are your thoughts on fund raising? Have any good ideas on how to effectively fund raise?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:48 am
Isn't this a form of advertising?

On a side note, I always thought the 40 hour famine was stupid. Starving yourself because others are starving, ya, that's helpful. Raising money fine, starving yourself too... um no.  

God-Raped-Me

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 am
Hey if she wants to do it and make the statement, why not? Fasting is a form of non-violent protest. It makes a statement and gets notice from others, and encourages people to donate their time and money to help.

I have no problem with this thread since it's something for a good cause. Good luck with your fast, I hope you are able to help the people who need it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 am
So were some other ads, but I thought there was a rule stating no ads in the guild. I wouldn't care if there was some discussion... But there's not.

I really don't care if she wants to do it or not, it's her body. I've just always thought it was stupid. I know if someone was protesting me by starving themselves I wouldn't care. They're not hurting me, they're hurting themselves.  

God-Raped-Me

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 am
My goodness, it's not that hard to make discussion on your own.

For example, my friend is doing the same thing, but it's called the 30 hour famine.

Why do these Aussies have a bonus ten hours? Hahaha.... emo  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:15 am
We did 30 Hour Famine every year in high-school. (I guess us North Americans are wusses, can't go an extra 10 hours x3)

It was fun, it raised a lot of money, and it gave you some appreciation for what it's like to be hungry. (Although it's still nothing compared to real starvation. x_X)  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:49 pm
Woah! We never did that at my school. But we did have an AIDS awareness day. A student would be assigned to walk the halls during class ringing a bell, and to walk around the whole school all day. When you heard the bell going past your classroom, it was a reminder that someone at that very moment was dying of AIDS. sad It always bummed me out when they did that, but it was an awesome powerful message.

Also, in middle school I did an after school program where we made quilts for children with serious medical issues. whee I had fun with that, and I learned how to make really simple but nice quilts (using a sewing machine).  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:52 pm
That would be very depressing. But that's the point, I guess. And the quilts idea is nice. biggrin I would just donate money, though, I'm horrible at sewing. x3  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:52 pm
In my experience it is church groups who do the 30-hour famine, and there is a lot of bible study and meditation interspersed in between the fun activities.

One year my youth group took a tour of the inner city during the 30-hour famine to see the lives of people who are actually starving every day, and then we went and did some work at the outreach church in the area, sorting donated clothing, cleaning and repainting the floor, and helping them receive a large bread delivery in preparation for opening the soup kitchen that night.

That 30-hour famine was a lot more meaningful than the ones where we do scavenger hunts, play "Bigger and Better" and theatre sports, and rent a gym for two hours to play basketball or whatever.

Apparently it's the 30-hour Famine internationally, 40-hour Famine in Australia and NZ, and 24-hour Famine in the UK.

http://www.30hourfamine.org/  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:07 am
@God-Raped-Me: Well this practice is just to learn and experience what those in poverty-stricken countries experience most or every day. My bad about the discussion! I'll enter one in now orz"

@Jaft: Because our government wants us to slim down since we're apparently the fattest country in the world neutral kidding xd I have no idea

@Taeryyn: It goes for nearly a whole weekend, but to be honest, I think I'll be spending some of that time sleeping anyway. xd

@Kyla_Ewans: There was an ad on tv around 2 years ago where they had celebrities clicking their fingers every three seconds, each click representing a child who's died from starvation. sad That was a pretty powerful message as well.

@Kalstolyn: That sounds very interesting surprised It must have been a great learning experience attending that tour.  

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 pm
I remember that ad. I was actually impressed that my high school made such a powerful statement about it. xd Anti-smoking week was great too. There was always a table set up in the main lobby with two REAL human lungs set up with air pumps in them. The people doing the presentaton would pump air through them to show the difference between the healthy lung and the nasty black swiss cheese lung. gonk Very icky....but also quite awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:54 pm
I just don't understand how "starving" yourself undoes the problems of those who are actually starving. confused Maybe I'm too cynical to appreciate the message for anything more than its face value. Good luck anyway.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Dinosaur Next Door

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:34 pm
I don't think it's about "undoing" it. I think the act of fasting yourself helps a person to appreciate what other people have to go through every day. It's like putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a bit. Also, if you do it for a charity, it gets people to take notice. It's like, "I care so much about this cause that I want to bring attention to it by empathizing with the situation." It's not like: I don't eat for a weekend=I solve world hunger.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:33 pm
Kyla_Ewens
I don't think it's about "undoing" it. I think the act of fasting yourself helps a person to appreciate what other people have to go through every day. It's like putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a bit. Also, if you do it for a charity, it gets people to take notice. It's like, "I care so much about this cause that I want to bring attention to it by empathizing with the situation." It's not like: I don't eat for a weekend=I solve world hunger.
I am an old ATG member =]

Thats bollocks though
you starve yourself for 40 hours and you'll feel very hungry with stomach ache. but you won't know s**t all about how the needy have it and within a week you'll have forgotten your hunger deal nonetheless.

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread
now fight his brute
http://shramy.mybrute.com

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:57 am
Shram
Kyla_Ewens
I am an old ATG member =]

Thats bollocks though
you starve yourself for 40 hours and you'll feel very hungry with stomach ache. but you won't know s**t all about how the needy have it and within a week you'll have forgotten your hunger deal nonetheless.

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread
now fight his brute
http://shramy.mybrute.com

Methinks you're generalising things too much.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff