Reply Community Lounge
Your First Job~ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxDarkMalicexX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am

]Just a little curious thread to start and seeing that there hasn't been a thread like this before (or I've seen thus far), I think it would be interesting.

{What was your very first job?
Did you like it/hate it?
Did you make friends there at the workplace?
Do you regret it?
And any other things you would like to talk about while working there.}

My first job was at a landscape nursery called Sadler's.
I liked it. It was an outside job, better than being a fryer all day. The only thing that I didn't like about it is that no one was around when I needed help with something.
I made... acquiances there.
Nah, I don't regret it. It was making money, you know?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:22 pm
I hated my first job. I only lasted two and a half shifts.

I worked in a frozen produce processing plant during blueberry season, which is the busiest time of the year since I'm from a region where one of the primary crops is blueberries.

My job was working the box wash. (Yeah...)
The blueberries came in from the fields in these yellow, plastic, stackable boxes. The berries were dumped onto one conveyor belt, and the boxes onto another.
They travelled up and into a machine that washed them and the rinsed them in icy water. At the end of the conveyor belt, in the freezing-cold, stacking boxes four high...was me.
Me and one other person, who loaded the stacks of four onto a pallette. For 12 hours.

It was the most monotonous thing ever. I just about lost my mind the first shift. The person I was working with had the IQ of, well, a blueberry, so I couldn't even talk to her. I just couldn't take it.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm
My first job was at a movie theater. I started off in the concession stand and eventually got moved to the box office.
After a first, short shift for training my first official day was Black Friday. Fun stuff.

It sucked, but only as much as one would expect for a first job when you have to deal with customers....
The box office was great if you were working along side someone else since then you could each turn off your mics and talk about the idiot customers that were standing right in front of you.

A best friend of mine started working there too after a time, so that was happy.
And, you know...free movies and initial screenings for employees. That was nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Wow, a movie theater.
I'm trying to get a job at a movie theater close to where I live. Been trying for awhile now.
Customers aren't really THAT bad to handle. You just have to know HOW to handle them. Some of them can be really nice and the others are just dicks.
And, going to see free movies beats paying up to ten freaking dollars. stare

XxDarkMalicexX

Senryoske

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:28 pm
I just got my first job this summer. I work with my mom (free ride) in a lawfirm. But all I do is copy and scan files. Its really boring and I get easily distracted but it pays. and I don't have to deal with anyone.

Since everyone is like 20+ years older than me... Its hard to find something you both relate to but Its cool cuz old people rock!

Hey its money. Can't complain.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm
XxDarkMalicexX
Wow, a movie theater.
I'm trying to get a job at a movie theater close to where I live. Been trying for awhile now.
Customers aren't really THAT bad to handle. You just have to know HOW to handle them. Some of them can be really nice and the others are just dicks.
And, going to see free movies beats paying up to ten freaking dollars. stare

Oh I could handle customers. I still just hated them.

Like, I can't tell you how many times some family man would come up to the box office and be like "Can I get a burger with fries. HAHA!"
Oh sure, it's fine the first few times. But after two years worth? Yeah. You hate them.
And people on their cells blabbing on and on and ignoring you despite that there's an obvious line forming behind them....
And the TEENY BOPPERS. They swarmed in masses. The whole lobby would be covered end to end with them just standing around every Friday night.... But at least they could get kicked out and taken advantage of since they were stupid kids.

BUT YEAH. Fun times.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Voila! Viola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:24 am
What was your very first job? Student Aide @ local Com. College
Did you like it/hate it? Parts of it were boring, but I really liked that job.
Did you make friends there at the workplace? yes, I did =]
Do you regret it? Not at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am
My first job was at a video store called Suncoast at the mall. It suuuuuuuucked! $5.50/hr to do tons of work. And I always got called in on my days off. Once it was because one of the other girls, "Was tired and didn't feel like working" that day. The same girl also refused to take the trash out to the dumpster because "The smell made her sick". Yeah well...the smell made me sick too, but I didn't fricken complain, I just sucked it up and did my damn job. xp

I apologize for the rant. But one thing that drives me nuts are people who have a job, and try to do the least ammount of work possible. It's not really a big deal if it doesn't inconvienence anyone else, but if you not doing your job means extra work gets dumped on somebody else....rar! It irritates me, because I always seem to be that "somebody else"  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 am
omg Suncoast! I used to looooove that store. But they all disappeared where I live several years ago....  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 pm
Kyla_Ewens
My first job was at a video store called Suncoast at the mall. It suuuuuuuucked! $5.50/hr to do tons of work. And I always got called in on my days off. Once it was because one of the other girls, "Was tired and didn't feel like working" that day. The same girl also refused to take the trash out to the dumpster because "The smell made her sick". Yeah well...the smell made me sick too, but I didn't fricken complain, I just sucked it up and did my damn job. xp

I apologize for the rant. But one thing that drives me nuts are people who have a job, and try to do the least ammount of work possible. It's not really a big deal if it doesn't inconvienence anyone else, but if you not doing your job means extra work gets dumped on somebody else....rar! It irritates me, because I always seem to be that "somebody else"

Oh there's no need to apologize. I bet everybody goes through that and there is ALWAYS that irritating someone who doesn't do their damn job! And they complain, yatta, yatta, yatta.
I'm working with a girl right now at my job that complains about EVERYTHING. She doesn't do it when our bosses are around. She does it when they're not around. I'm tired of hearing it everytime her and I are working on the same shift... stare

XxDarkMalicexX

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 pm
wakusei
omg Suncoast! I used to looooove that store. But they all disappeared where I live several years ago....

Don't be sad that they're gone. Best Buy is really cheaper, and Suncoast's sale policy was basically, "Force feed merchandise to every sucker that walks in the door." They really wanted us to treat our customers like crap. Good thing it was a summer job, I wouldn't have kept it much longer than that because I refused to be a douchebag.

@Malice: xd You sure we don't work with the same girl? There's a girl like that where I work now. She doesn't just complain, she 1-ups when she complains. I'm positive she lies about most of the things she brags about too. She's always tired, or her feet hurt, or her neck hurts...wah wah wah.

I heard a great line about complaining on Deadliest Catch. One of the guys said to one of the greenhorns (rookies), "Complaining is like a rocking chair. It might make you feel a little better...but it ain't gonna get you anywhere." xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:23 pm
I was a summer camp counselor. I didn't mind it, did it for 6 summers. I got to watch the kids until they got to an activity, then I got to make arts and crafts or ice cream or s'more or swim...so it was some work a lot of fun...but that was because I was smart enough to work with the little kids so they were still respectful and adored me. It was great.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

XxDarkMalicexX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:54 pm
Kyla_Ewens

@Malice: xd You sure we don't work with the same girl? There's a girl like that where I work now. She doesn't just complain, she 1-ups when she complains. I'm positive she lies about most of the things she brags about too. She's always tired, or her feet hurt, or her neck hurts...wah wah wah.

We probably do. That girl sounds like the one I work with, but I don't think she constantly lies about lies... She doesn't speak that much to me and thank god she doesn't! stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm
xd It's weird because a bunch of the girls I work with are high school age, and I graduated from college...a couple years ago... xd So they have a lot of habits that I find annoying, and I just have to keep reminding myself, "High school...they're in high school....raging hormones...le sigh"  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:43 pm
Mine was a summer internship at a local library. I enjoyed it because I got the job done. I was the person who worked the odd jobs. I sure did it a lot faster than they did.

I was happy, working for $8/hour. Currently, I'm jobless because I wasn't going to be a crazy person and work while in high school. Now, I'll be applying for a fabric store down a ways from my house. Hopefully, I'll get the job.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff