Reply Community Lounge
New Barbie commercial Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:08 pm
I was just watching T.V with my kids when a barbie commercial comes on and they're using "Barbie Girl" by Aqua Just changing the words. I was like what the ********? Do they not realize that Aqua's song is using the term Barbie girl to demean shallow, pathetic, materialistic people?! I'm never letting my kids have a barbie!

Discuss whatever comes to mind about this topic.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:10 pm
Aw but, Barbies are fun sad I still have some that I like to dress up and make pretty xp  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:17 pm
Meh people hardly ever pay attention to what the song ACTUALLY means... unless they can make it perverted in which case all songs are either about sex or masturbation... But anyway back on topic, I have a general dislike for Barbie and girlie stuff but I guess at least she has jobs? That's the best I got...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 pm
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere????

i think there perverted enough!  

Agent_of_Misfortune

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm
I've seen that commercial! I had to do a double take and make sure I was watching the right channel.

I don't mess with the dolls anymore, but I do buy the movies. I have every single one. biggrin There's a new one coming at the end of this year called Barbie and the Three Musketeers. If I really want to emmerse myself in girliness or watch really corny romances, I'll watch them. They aren't too bad. whee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 am
I imagine commercials like that only come on kids channels, so I haven't seen it. I'm surprised anyone remembers that song anymore. It's not like the little girls the commercial is aimed at will know what it is...o.O

Also, Barbie is awesome.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 am
Waku, the kids won't but the parents like myself will! Just because of the commercial alone. I will never buy barbie for the kids.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:49 am
I actually saw a great ad the other day for a set of dolls. They're called Moxie girls:

http://moxiegirlz.com/?section=moxiegirlz

The dolls, while definatley thin and pretty, aren't overly anorexic, and they aren't plastered in makeup. The focus of these dolls seems to be girls with self confidence. It's great to see a line of dolls that are meant to have a positive impact on young girls. I think it's a really cute and refreshing idea to see dolls that have the potential to be anything, instead of "HEEEEY! WE LOVE SHOPPING! WHERE'S MY CREDIT CARD? LOLZ, I hope I find a hawt boyfriend so I don't have to work for a living!"

Though I do give Barbie some credit, because although there are a lot of shallow things that can be said about her...Barbie has had a million jobs over the years, from doctor to astronaut. xp We even had this Barbie board game when I was a kid, where you got to pick a Barbie and play out her career path. My sister always picked "rock star", I always picked "Scientist" or "Astronaut". xd 3nodding I had a couple of Barbies growing up, but they never made me feel insecure or anything. Usually I pretended my Barbies were secret agents or something. xd I remember dressing one up and pretending she was "Carmen Sandiego", and she was a super cool theif and all my action figures were trying to catch her. whee

Another great line of dolls, for slightly older kids are the "American Girl" dolls. They're expensive, but they're nicely made. And you can even get custom ones that match hair/skin/eye colors. They're big dolls, and not all super thin, and they don't look like models. Each of the non-custom ones is meant to represent a different time in the history of the United States. I had Kirsten, who was an immigrant from Sweden. The dolls come with books too. And of course there's a million accessories you can buy. xp But the point is, they're very nice well made dolls, with hair that's good for styling and playing with, and they have a nice theme to them.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 am
I want to go and buy a moxie doll for my girls now... stare Ya, I'm a consumer whore... sweatdrop

I remember playing with barbies as a kid, and I to don't remember thinking "Oh I wish I was thin like her". This "Barbie creates a poor self image" I think is coming from the people who never had barbie growing up and they're trying to justify why. Kids don't think like that ever! Not until they hit puberty and are finally able to think about what they see and compare it to themselves do kids think like that. And you're very right Barbie has had a ton of jobs including a stay at home mom.

I wonder how old barbie is now....

Also I think the commercial was on Teletoon Retro... it was a kids channel anyways.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:58 am
Barbie is 50 now.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 am
Alarias
Aw but, Barbies are fun sad I still have some that I like to dress up and make pretty xp

XD I still have all of mine at the bottom of my closet. Dressing them up was the fun part. ^_^ That's pretty much all I did with them half the time.

And GRM you are correct only you will know what the song is about and thus it is your responsibility to make your children understand it's implications. Because exactly most kids are not sitting around trying to dissect the cultural propaganda of every thing around them.

The American Girl Dolls are very nice, never had one ( wanted one but didn't care enough about dolls in general to pick one to actually have) I did buy one of the same size a few years ago because she wasn't expensive and is really cute.
They are like your classic sized doll or a porcelain one minus the breakable part. I think as something for a little girl to hold and play with as a friend they are perfect. Also making your own clothes for them is much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:44 am
I know, which is why should they ask me why I said no they can't have one, I will tell them. I really don't think Guin is going to be a doll girl anyways, Lydia yes, Guin no.

I love seeing the HUGE differences between them!  

God-Raped-Me

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 am
Slanted editing of social-commentary-laden songs with child-inappropriate lyrics aside, I have to say that in my opinion, Barbie is way better than Bratz or MyScene dolls. At least Barbie's a career woman and has a multi-racial cast of friends, and also promotes family and social responsibility. I mean, I haven't seen the commercial, so I have no frame of reference on it's level of appropriateness (or lack thereof?), but still... look at the alternatives.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 am
I ******** hate the Bratz line of s**t! I don't like that they promote being a skanky little whore! Where if you're not popular you're nothing. ******** the Bratz line! Myscene is horrible too! So I agree Steph, Barbie is WAY better than that other crap!  

God-Raped-Me

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am
I guess my point was that even if Barbie doesn't clear ads with parents for approval, at least she's not a whorebag like the other dolls on the market, so... at least we can agree on that. blaugh  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff