View Results

NecroTech51

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:18 pm
READ THIS FIRST!
Here is a situation that you have to make and important decision...its all your choice... xp
The setting: You are in a Jungle, and you belong to a tribe in which every villager plays an important part to the tribe's survival.
The conflict: A hungry Tiger attacks the village people, it pins down one of the villagers and you notice that the villager is your best friend.
The Choices:

1.) You find a large tree branch, and manage kill the Tiger, but in doing so you die, but your friend and the villagers are saved.
2.) You take the last of the villages food and manage to lure the Tiger away, but in doing so some people die of starvation.
3.) You let the Tiger eat your friend, and the Tiger leaves your village alone forever.
4.) You rally the villagers to help kill the Tiger and save your friend, they are successful in both, but some die in the process.

You choice is yours please post your answer, and any comment on the question...Also you can ask for me to ask another question...I don't rudely comment on you answers, and I hope that other will not...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:32 pm
I am an old ATG member =]

I find these choices unrealistical as you never know the outcome of the choice.
knowing the outcome changes the pattern of thought completely.

in the case of tribesmanship as you've explained everyone would think to never let their own fall, thereby circumventing the idea of choice.
everyone would be trying to chase the tiger away in an effort to save the one man (conveniantly your best friend).

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 pm
I agree with Shammy, if everyone is equally important, then the whole village would try to fend off the animal.

Now, say things were different, and your best friend happened to be the black sheep of the tribe, and you the son/daughter of the leader.

that would make for some interesting thought process.

But the way you laid it out, it's pretty clear cut.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 am
1 and 3 are the most efficient.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Riotous_Proletariat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 pm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:41 pm
Shram

in the case of tribesmanship as you've explained everyone would think to never let their own fall, thereby circumventing the idea of choice.
everyone would be trying to chase the tiger away in an effort to save the one man (conveniantly your best friend).

Nicely said! cool
However, that was not one of the choices...and there is no need to think of realism with this kind of question...You control the decisions already made...Also knowing the outcome of each answer shown dose change the thought pattern, and that is why I didn't put the outcomes...The question I created to have fun and take a risk...Knowing the outcome will ruin you original thoughts about the situation, and there is no fun in that...Plain and simple cool
With that, I ask you to please pick one of the four choices I give you...
NecroTech51 has replied to your choice...  

NecroTech51

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:00 pm
#5 Get the villagers to all grab weapons, kill the tiger, save your friend, and provide the village with some much needed food.

I think outside the box!

Otherwise I'd go with option 4; delegation is a good thing when it saves my skin and that of my friend. And now there's a few less mouths to feed in a village that apparently doesn't have enough food considering option 2's parameters...although option 2 achieves a similar result so it is my second choice. My third choice is option 3 and my last choice is option 1.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:15 pm
I like #3 simply because you can always get a new friend... not that anyone would want to be your friend after you pretty much killed the last one....

Other than that #4 is good too, cuz honestly a few villagers is a few less mouths to feed  

Senryoske

NecroTech51

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:55 pm
Thaliat Everwood
#5 Get the villagers to all grab weapons, kill the tiger, save your friend, and provide the village with some much needed food.

I think outside the box!

Otherwise I'd go with option 4; delegation is a good thing when it saves my skin and that of my friend. And now there's a few less mouths to feed in a village that apparently doesn't have enough food considering option 2's parameters...although option 2 achieves a similar result so it is my second choice. My third choice is option 3 and my last choice is option 1.

Now you had a good idea about picking 4, but remember I put that every person is essential to the survival of the tribe...now there is no way we know who dies...it could be just a regular Joe, but i could have been the medicine man or the harvester...putting that in the description keeps you thinking...Ohh, and I like the way you think, and I would have picked you choice (#5) if I put it xd ...However, each decision has to have a good part and a bad part...That's what the point of the question is...You need to think of what you will lose vs. what you will gain...What you lost with your choice is possibly some villagers that could have been important to the tribe's survival vs. a dead tiger and your friend...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 pm
NecroTech51
Shram

Nicely said! cool
However, that was not one of the choices...and there is no need to think of realism with this kind of question...You control the decisions already made...Also knowing the outcome of each answer shown dose change the thought pattern, and that is why I didn't put the outcomes...The question I created to have fun and take a risk...Knowing the outcome will ruin you original thoughts about the situation, and there is no fun in that...Plain and simple cool
With that, I ask you to please pick one of the four choices I give you...
NecroTech51 has replied to your choice...

First of all, you didn't understand my response at all as this isn't a choice.

secondly, you say you didn't provide the out? then I suggest you read your opening post once more. you write the consequences of what would happen to each choice thereby giving us the outcome of each.

Thirdly, my post specify's that 4 is the only option because of the way the village is built, take away the outcome that some villagers "Will" die and place might there instead and the answer becomes much more liable.

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 pm
Shram

beauty AND brains. ^^ <3

though if i were restricted to those 4 specific choices and didn't know the outcomes... i'd like to say that i would be courageous enough to finish off the tiger by myself, but knowing that i'm a chicken s**t in violent situations, i'd wanna keep some distance between the tiger and i. if nobody else was available to help i'd take the food and lure it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm
#4 would be the choice for me I think b/c im not strong or courageous enough to kill a tiger but on the other had luring it might be a good choice b/c the fact that no one gets hurt but it leads to starvation so why not just kill and then have a big feast from the tiger xp The 3rd one I couldn't do, I wouldn't be able to  

Vsha93

CR Kyrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:03 pm
Choice three, of course. It's the least amount of deaths (besides one, and let's face it, I'm not risking my life).

I'll make a new best friend with someone whose life was saved thanks to my lack of decision making.

Though Shram's right =X  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 pm
I go with 4 - it gives everyone in the village an opportunity to behave in a courageous and benevolent way, so that those who do survive are less likely to go all self-recriminatory, instead pulling together to make it through. Cowardice and self-interest are real morale-killers.

Also, saying that the people who would die in the attempt might be really important to the village...I notice you also didn't say how the best friend is important to the village. If you want our choices to be weighted by the roles of the possible victims, you might want to let us know what those roles are. For all we know, the best friend could be the god-king-holy-shumbaza, or the best hunter. For that matter, what's *our* hypothetical role in the village? The weighty seeing-into-the-future style options might indicate that *we* are serving in the role as Most Holy Whatever. Which would make us pretty damn important and also highly influential.  

Yvaine

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:17 am
Yvaine
I go with 4 - it gives everyone in the village an opportunity to behave in a courageous and benevolent way, so that those who do survive are less likely to go all self-recriminatory, instead pulling together to make it through. Cowardice and self-interest are real morale-killers.

Also, saying that the people who would die in the attempt might be really important to the village...I notice you also didn't say how the best friend is important to the village. If you want our choices to be weighted by the roles of the possible victims, you might want to let us know what those roles are. For all we know, the best friend could be the god-king-holy-shumbaza, or the best hunter. For that matter, what's *our* hypothetical role in the village? The weighty seeing-into-the-future style options might indicate that *we* are serving in the role as Most Holy Whatever. Which would make us pretty damn important and also highly influential.
I like food.

Thats mostly irrelevent, at least to most people.
In a situation like that there are very few people who stop up and go "hmm is he worth saving or do me and the rest have better skills".
It becomes a situation of one person trying to defend an other person no matter who it is or what they've done.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces