Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is better
  New custom stock
  Old original military stock
View Results

lazycommie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 pm
After a long time of doing other stuff, I'm back again. Not much has changed, except that I can now list "some college" on any employment application.

And without further ado, here's the thread!

I got bored...

Every so often, me getting extremely bored and me having some spare cash coincide. When that happens, I make s**t. This time, I made a custom stock for my 1938 Mosin-Nagant M91/30. Total cost was about 8$ for the wood and 15 for the donor stock. The next time I do something like this, I'll get pics of it during the build process if possible.

I'd like to ad that I didn't do this to make any sort of "sniper rifle" or anything. I did this because it's fun to make stuff, and I had time to kill. Accuracy is likely not improved, so I expect around 1.5MOA(1.5" at 100yds) groups from it.

I didn't feel like inletting, so I just bought a spare Mosin stock and used that as a donor. I hacked the front off of the stock, and cut the butt off right behind the action. From there, I made a new butt from laminated wood. I found laminating thinner pieces of wood to be easier work and more rewarding to do than chopping s**t from large solid hunks.

It's a powerful ugly stock, but extremely comfortable to hold, and points very naturally for me. It will need something for support, though, as it's too heavy to shoot from the shoulder comfortably. A bipod or sandbag will be used when test shooting it this thanksgiving.

Before:
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...5_2733688_n.jpg

Closeup of the roughed out new butt. It's held in place pretty securely by pins and gluing. The pistol grip is a separate piece pinned to both the butt and the donor. The grip is also laminated wood, but it's the part that took me the longest to make and fit, because I wanted it to fit my hand and the stock exactly.

The black marks on the wood at this point are marks that showed me where to drill the upper and lower parts of the butt, so I could attach the bottom to the top with dowels. It's got four of them inbetween. Despite my best efforts, it's not perfectly straight as a joint, but the deflection is only maybe 1/16" of an inch. Next time will be better, since I'll have more practice at it.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2743/mosin3.png

"Finished" stock. I may reinforce the main joint with metal straps later, but right now the joint's about as strong as the donor wood. The other side of the cheek rest is nicely rounded over for comfort.

Finish on the wood is khaki paint. Metal is original bluing.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8831/mosin4.png

Total weight of the rifle like this is 10lbs, or a bit more with bayonet.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 pm
Oh man, I love the Mosin-Nagant.

Mostly because of Metal Gear Solid 3. o3o

I'll probably buy one as a piece of decor soon.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

lazycommie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:57 pm
Go for it! You can usually order one for around 70-80$ from AIM or J&G, then maybe 20-25$ shipping and however much it costs for you to do a dealer transfer at your gun shop(for me it's 20$) and it's yours.

One of my original ideas for a Mosin stock was going to be the stock that The End has on his, but it would have added another two or three pounds to an already extremely heavy rifle.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm
Better hit those free weights. ;D
I'd say I should be able to handle anything under 20lbs, but that's just going off of the weights I have lying around.

Also, I've seen some around the local Big 5.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

lazycommie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:30 pm
Yep, Big 5 should have them. Try to find one with a nice bore. The one I got on gunbroker, was pretty much unused. Look for an M38(short barrel, no folding bayonet) or M44(short barrel, folding bayonet), as they're much handier than the 91/30, although they are way louder and kick more because of it.

A 10lb rifle may not sound like a lot, but it really is. It's not so much the weight as how it's distributed that makes it seem like a lot more, which makes it harder to shoot. I'm putting a bipod on this one.

My next Mosin will be buying a complete action sans stock, chopping the barrel to 16.5" and making an "ultimate hog rifle". Short barrel, compensator, beefy stock with adjustable length and comb height and sling mounts.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:44 pm
Have you thought about adding... not sure what to call it, a stock pad, stock padding? So the shoulders don't become so tender.

And I wouldn't shoot a rifle without a pod, bipod, tripod, quadrupod, or something to lay it on because I have... hand tremors? I shake when I aim. Lol. Except when prone.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

lazycommie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Jaft
Have you thought about adding... not sure what to call it, a stock pad, stock padding? So the shoulders don't become so tender.

And I wouldn't shoot a rifle without a pod, bipod, tripod, quadrupod, or something to lay it on because I have... hand tremors? I shake when I aim. Lol. Except when prone.

The recoil isn't the kind that hurts your shoulder, if you shoot it right, it's more just a massive shove. I've gone through 120 rounds in very quick succession(the stock was beginning to smolder at the end) with the original metal buttplate with no bruise or tenderness afterward.

You may want a buttpad anyway, though, to lengthen it. Mosins being made for short russian men with winter jackets on, the butt tends to be too short. That's one of the reasons I made my stock, because it was entirely too short for me. I have no buttplate or pad on mine, it's just plain wood, but my next stock may have a thick metal(probably aluminum or brass) buttplate on it for durability.

I'd suggest using a shooting bag to rest it on. Something like a backpack or tightly rolled towel or small bag full of beans(not even joking) to rest it on. All else fails, a block of wood with a towel over it to protect your finish will work nicely.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 am
Very sound advice. 3nodding  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Red Glacier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 am
C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

That is a nice stock though. especially for a hand make.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:57 am
Thank you very much.

My next one will be much better.

Now I'm shopping for a new scope. I'll probably have to make my own custom mount, though, due to the lack of anything fitting my needs being available.

EDIT:

Never mind. I just did some tinkering and yes, my current scope mount will work with the scope I'm eying. A PO 3.5x20 Compact Weapon Scope from Kalinka Optics.

However, I will still need to make a bent bolt handle to accommodate it.  

lazycommie

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:15 am
I have an "access denied" page, but I assume you're talking about guns?

Regardless welcome back! Hope you stick around for a while!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:07 am
God-Raped-Me
I have an "access denied" page, but I assume you're talking about guns?

Regardless welcome back! Hope you stick around for a while!

Crap. I was hoping those links worked.

Yes, I'm talking about guns. Some work I did on a specific one, to be more precise.

Thanks! It's good to be back.  

lazycommie

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am
Can't say I know too much about guns...except that they're pimp cool

But, welcome back! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:50 am
The Mosin-Nagant is a sexy gun...

Personally, I'm kind wanting to get my hands on a Dragunov just because it's also very sexy.

Great to see you back Commie!  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 am
Viral C
C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

That is a nice stock though. especially for a hand make.

Stay away from the chans Viral.....

OH! and welcome back lazycommie!  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas