Submit

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 pm
I'm sitting here watching the opening show of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver Canada and was wondering...

Anyone else see it?
Isn't that an awesome use of special effects!? What with the lights and the stage etc.
Also if you're into the sports what are you looking forward too?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 pm
I am not a sports fan but from the pictures on yahoo it looked cool.  

Miss-dark8607

Dangerous Visionary

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 pm
The Opening Ceremonies were pretty. I liked when they did the whales in the floor, and then the trees....  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 am
eek The whales in the floor were awesome. Also, the hardcore tapdancing fiddlers. xd So cool.

And on a related note....GO SHAUN WHITE. heart Not that I really pay much attention to winter sports...but he's just so awesome.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 am
It's all about the curling!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm
Kyla_Ewens
eek The whales in the floor were awesome. Also, the hardcore tapdancing fiddlers. xd So cool.

And on a related note....GO SHAUN WHITE. heart Not that I really pay much attention to winter sports...but he's just so awesome.

haha, yeah i loved that part too.... that's newfoundland for ya xd
i LOVED the nature focused special effects ^^ the icebergs breaking apart were pretty cool, i think.

it kinda sucked that the last pillar of the torch didn't go up because of the hydrolics... poor Cindy Claussen. however, i have to say kudos on them putting Anne Murray in (for all her canuck fans)... but not asking her to sing. HURRAH! good move, BC! xD but it was pretty cool all in all ^^

(side note for anyone whose interested: my cousin lives relatively close to Vancouver =D Victoria, actually. but he went snowboarding with friends away from the Olympics to get away from the crowds. good move but it kinda sucks that he didn't get to witness it)

EDIT: snowboarding, bob-sledding and figure skating are my favorites to watch ^^ WOOT. I'm usually not much into watching sports but winter sports rock.  

~DR.MOOFASA~

STATlC ECH0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:28 pm
I have to admit, I liked the opening ceremonies and am proud that Vancouver's being shown off for the beautiful place it is (I'm Canadian). However, I hate the Olympics and think countries could collaborate together to do something more meaningful rather than play some dumb sports. That opening ceremonies thing definitely cost millions of dollars. think about how many poor people could be fed instead!

Also, the Olympics is NOTORIOUS for human rights violations, especially in China in 2008 (diverting water sources, media censoring to athletes that were there, etc). In Vancouver, the main concern is about lower income people being turned out onto the street from their houses to build higher-end hotels to accommodate people when the Olympics started. All for 10 days of bullshit.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Oh yes the iceberg and whale were my favorite parts of the projection show. I really liked the trees they made too.
It was sad that the whole show went on with out a hitch up to the most important part.
I not actually really interested in watching the sports events myself.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 pm
Static Echo
I have to admit, I liked the opening ceremonies and am proud that Vancouver's being shown off for the beautiful place it is (I'm Canadian). However, I hate the Olympics and think countries could collaborate together to do something more meaningful rather than play some dumb sports. That opening ceremonies thing definitely cost millions of dollars. think about how many poor people could be fed instead!

Also, the Olympics is NOTORIOUS for human rights violations, especially in China in 2008 (diverting water sources, media censoring to athletes that were there, etc). In Vancouver, the main concern is about lower income people being turned out onto the street from their houses to build higher-end hotels to accommodate people when the Olympics started. All for 10 days of bullshit.

s**t, was that was all the protesting was about? i know there was a protest on the torch route because they had the path go through first nations land without bothering to ask (which is somewhat common)...
or was there another reason for the protest?
i was totally confused when i heard about that because i don't know whose protesting and why (the news is rarely helpful with details like that).

what part of Canada are you in, by the way? ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 pm
Xikrai the Risen
It's all about the curling!

xd I saw a little bit of it the other day. I mean absolutley no disrespect...I mean I'm sure the people who compete in that sport really love it, and who am I to scoff at it?
But...but...whenever I watch that person slide the rock, and they look all serious and they're....sliding a rock down the ice... rofl I can't help it! I crack up and start giggling like crazy because to me it looks like people getting SUPER SERIOUS over a very silly looking sport. xp But like I said, no disrespect, I'm sure it's much harder than it looks...I just can't help giggling though....  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:45 pm
Don't feel bad Kyla, I laugh when I hear them yell "HARDER HARDER!" Like there aren't jokes that can be made about that! I can't actually watch the sport I find it horribly boring. And I don't mean I don't like watching it, I physically can't watch it! I fall asleep every time!

I love to watch any downhill skiing, mens and pairs figure staking, hockey, luge, speed skating and I think that's about it. I never really watched much of the winter Olympics as I would be skating myself then come home and watch the figure skating while doing homework then it was off to bed.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm
I'm gonna try and watch some Apolo tonight.  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm
I taped and watched the men's figure skating today. That was neat. I'd never really watched skating before. It looks like they have really taken to dancing on the ice; that impressed me.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:40 pm
I really, really want to watch the hockey games, but I can't. ;_; No TV, can't stream it online. Bah!  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Arial the cat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm
i watched the opening ceremony and it was amazing. i liked the whale part and the trees. oh and also the fiddlers.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff