View Results

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:11 pm
I know that not everyone here had attended college or is even THINKING about it at this moment. But let me tell you. I'm in the midst of it and I felt swamped for the first couple... Terms... sweatdrop I have the strategy down now, but I want to STAY ahead of the game if I can. I know that in the near future (About a week or two) I will be making drafts for an extensive writing project. I'm looking for help and people to read and critique my writing, because if I have a couple people I can rely on there is less that can go wrong when it comes to crunch time. I'm going to be handing my papers to Aretoo since he's accessible but it wouldn't hurt to have some back-up. ^_^

If you're interested in helping me pass my homework, or just want to see what I write, give me a note here or a PM and I'll keep you in mind. ^_^

Now for the spoon fed.
1. Homework
2. Things that you can't do alone
3. Schools or trouble in them
4. Tango  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm
I may be able to help. Does teh kusa have msn?

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

Trish the Stalker

Slim95
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 pm
My homework load has been much lighter lately, thanks to upcoming AP tests... I'm confident in my ability to stomp the English portion, but not-so-much concerning my Gov test. So many facts to be memorized. sweatdrop So many court cases to study...

Studying with my friends helps me a grand deal. It entertains me enough to the point where I'm not just reading on autopilot, and their occasionally witty little remarks can act as good memory devices. Jeopardy-style quizzing before a big test is always a good time.

I'll help you if you'd like, GiriGiri, but I worry my abilities might not be adequate enough for your paper's level.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 am
yeah the first term of college is always hard but it get easier. You get better at picking your teachers and its just smooth sailing after the first two years. Just take all the hard classes first and then focus on the fun and easy ones. I just like to read ahead, do my essays really early and live at the Writing and ESL center. When I take math then I live at that center as well. Basically, the first couple of terms just live at all the tutoring places and make friends with your classmates.  

Miss-dark8607

Dangerous Visionary

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:57 am
Slim95
My homework load has been much lighter lately, thanks to upcoming AP tests... I'm confident in my ability to stomp the English portion, but not-so-much concerning my Gov test. So many facts to be memorized. sweatdrop So many court cases to study...

Studying with my friends helps me a grand deal. It entertains me enough to the point where I'm not just reading on autopilot, and their occasionally witty little remarks can act as good memory devices. Jeopardy-style quizzing before a big test is always a good time.

I'll help you if you'd like, GiriGiri, but I worry my abilities might not be adequate enough for your paper's level.

Which court cased established that a state can't tax the federal government?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 am
According to a combination of note packets and internet: McCulloch v. Maryland? sweatdrop

*sigh*.....

*curls up with her DSI in the corner of her living room* Leave me alone, AP Gov. crying Why can't you just let me take my notes in peace?... Why the humongous test?...  

Slim95
Crew

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:22 am
Miss-dark8607
yeah the first term of college is always hard but it get easier. You get better at picking your teachers and its just smooth sailing after the first two years. Just take all the hard classes first and then focus on the fun and easy ones. I just like to read ahead, do my essays really early and live at the Writing and ESL center. When I take math then I live at that center as well. Basically, the first couple of terms just live at all the tutoring places and make friends with your classmates.

I don't have much control over which instructors I have. I had a most difficult time with my first term and my whole schedule was thrown back the 9 weeks which means my SECOND term was also rough. So I'm on the wire right now. It's make or break, if I fail this term (Which will NOT happen) I would be ejected from class.

@Trish: I do NOT have MSN, however I DO have AIM, But I think it might be easier to just use the Gaia PM boxes and E-Mail to keep in touch and send files.

@Slim: Well it's not going to be anything like applied nuclear physics, I'm just writing persuasive essays, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ^_^ It doesn't take an expert to just read a brief essay. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:10 am
I have 18 credits this semester... -_- it's not fun to have so much to read and so many papers to write.

But yes having various people read essays helps to make them the best they can be. So I hope you can find a few people free to read them. :3

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 am
I took five or six classes each semester. And even so, the college workload was shockingly light compared to the high school workload for me.

In high school, there were tests to study for, papers to write, dittos to do, words to define, etc. Lots of it even seemed to be just busy work, and it was a daily thing.

In college, there were tests to study for, but they were few and far between for most classes. And really, just taking good notes and maybe giving them a read through right before the test was enough to get As for most subjects. There were papers to write, but again, few and far between. And other than Japanese and math, there were no dittos to do, no words to define, no frequent work, no busy work.

So I really don't think college is more work or harder work. I think what gets a lot of people is just the fact that the work is so different. In college, most teachers are not going to chase you down and remind you that work is due. And since work is due so infrequently for most classes, it's easy to put work off for too long. And since there are so few assignments, each one counts a lot. So even one or two slacked off tests or papers can really bring your grade down a significant amount.

Here's my advice for anyone starting college, thinking about college, or struggling in college:

-Go. Seriously, attendance matters a lot in most colleges, more than it did in most high schools. Missing a class means a lot of missed information, some of which probably will be on a test. And in my first college, if you missed three classes during the semester, it was an automatic fail.

-Listen and take notes. No matter how boring a lecture may be, you're probably going to want that information for the next test. Write as much down as you can, and put it in words that you're likely to understand and remember when you go to read them over again later. You can also ask if you can bring a recorder to class. Or if you have a learning disability, hand injury, or something else that prevents you from taking good notes, ask if you can get a note taker. A note taker is a good student who works for the school and copies his/her notes for students who are unable to take their own.

-Talk. If you're not getting something, let the teacher know. Ask the teacher to explain it again or ask if there are tutors for the class.

-Think about your classes. If you expect a certain class to be really hard for you, try to schedule it in the same semester as some classes that you expect to be easier. For example, language classes and math classes are often the two the require frequent work. If you don't want frequent work, try not to take language and math in the same semester. Or if writing if your weak point, try not to take too many English or History classes at once.

-Think about your teachers. If a teacher that you don't know is teaching two classes that you want to take, you might not want to take both those classes at once! Because if you end up not liking the teacher, two classes by him/her can end up being painful. So try getting a variety of teachers or look for teachers that you already know you like.

Kusaragi, I cannot promise I will have time to do a read through. But I probably will. xp So feel free to send me drafts as well if you want.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:52 am
Oh for those of you going to major colleges here in the states. Here's a good site for you to see what other students have to say about professors and classes you may want to take.

Click me

I hope it helps.  

Miss-dark8607

Dangerous Visionary

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm
Kusaragi
Miss-dark8607

I don't have much control over which instructors I have. I had a most difficult time with my first term and my whole schedule was thrown back the 9 weeks which means my SECOND term was also rough. So I'm on the wire right now. It's make or break, if I fail this term (Which will NOT happen) I would be ejected from class.

@Trish: I do NOT have MSN, however I DO have AIM, But I think it might be easier to just use the Gaia PM boxes and E-Mail to keep in touch and send files.

@Slim: Well it's not going to be anything like applied nuclear physics, I'm just writing persuasive essays, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ^_^ It doesn't take an expert to just read a brief essay. mrgreen
Heh...that's what my focus is going to be when I'm in my Navy A school  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 pm
Kals is questing again!

I've found that college homework is WAY more voluminous than university homework, for one thing. Also, it gets harder and harder to handle/keep on top of homework every year. I think my first semester or two of university were the best because homework was easy-peasy. In the college program I'm taking now, you automatically fail the class if you miss one assignment, regardless of how you are doing in the class otherwise. Also late assignments are penalized a hefty 25% per day.

Generally, the rule of thumb is you can expect to do three hours of homework for every one hour of class. So in a class that sits for three hours per week (aka a standard 3-credit class) you can expect to do nine hours of homework. If you've got a typical full-time courseload (12 credits per term, usually), you can expect to do 108 hours of homework per week. That's basically like working two full-time jobs and one part time job. And don't forget you're in class for 12 hours per week.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go write the seven papers that are due in the next two weeks.

*impales self with laptop*

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 am
I'm actually taking online classes, so being there for the lectures is secondary. I have 4 classes that span a 9 week regiment, and each class has online Discussions, Journals, and written assignments. The initial Discussion posts are due by Midnight Wednesday, and an additional two posts by Sunday Midnight. All assignments are also due on Sunday Midnight, as well as any required Journals AND tests that review the work material for that week.

This is also an accelerated learning course for Game development that actually uses the Applications and programing languages that are commonplace in that work environment.

The only class that's a wild card is my College Writing class. It's the only course this Term that will NOT accept late work. So it's the one that is required to be turned in on time. Thankfully I think I finally got the timing down and I actually turned in EVERYTHING for the first two weeks on time and with more then 90% points.

The whole reason I made this thread was so that I could get reviewers for the College Writing class. If I can't get in touch with someone in the class to review it I would be pressed for time and I REALLY don't want that.

My timeframe is loosely based off the concept of "Two posts, one paper" With that timeframe I get all my initial discussion posts done by Tuesday, and a couple of the papers DONE. Then I get the remaining posts DONE by Friday, and Saturday to finish any of the larger papers. Which gives me a little free time on Sundays. It leaves me a little buffer zone in case I find myself slacking. So far it's worked, and I'm happy with the results, I'm holding an A+ in all my classes and I'm going to KEEP it that way. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 am
Kusa, you're so dedicated!

I'm hoping I'm not too rusty on my own paper writing skills (for your sake and mine), but I did very well in English in high school and got a 60% on half of a paper in one of my courses (I got a 90% on the other paper).

Trish the Stalker

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 am
Trish the Stalker
Kusa, you're so dedicated!

I'm hoping I'm not too rusty on my own paper writing skills (for your sake and mine), but I did very well in English in high school and got a 60% on half of a paper in one of my courses (I got a 90% on the other paper).

I have to be dedicated. If I'm not then taking the classes would be for nothing. ^_^ And I'm sure we'll ALL be OK for reading my papers. Since the first one will be describing personal experiences it'll be like reading what I have to say here... Except more focused. xd  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff