Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Is cussing a sin? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nottaname

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 am
And if so, how?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:12 am
Heh, yup.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."
Ephesians 4:29

"But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."
Colossians 3:8

1 Peter 3:10, "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

James 3:9-12, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

Matthew 12:35-36

"A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."

Matthew 15:11
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

James 3:5-6

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

Psalms 141:3-4

"Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties."

Philippians 1:27

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;"

Yup, I'd say it's a sin....  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 am
Kyramud
Heh, yup.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

"But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."

1 Peter 3:10, "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

James 3:9-12, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

"A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties."

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;"

This!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 pm
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Heh, yup.

This!

Heh, I have to say, I kinda cheated a little on this one a little. I just had a bible study on this topic about a week ago, and most of these are posted on the fridge, and various places about the house. Though, I have to ask a question.

While I agree that the more blatant cuss words aren't okay for us to say, what about words like 'dang' or 'darn' or 'shoot'? I say those all the time because I didn't think they were bad to say, but some people I know claim these are just substitutes for saying certain other four letter words (no, not duck, or barn, or clap...), and as such are still grouped in the category of cuss words.
Any opinions?  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 pm
Kudos to the giant wall of Scripture. :3

If all that doesn't convince you, you can think in layman's terms.
Using curse words is at the very least rude, and at the very most, very offensive.
The only reason people use them at all is to draw attention to themselves, and they get it because regardless of what you believe, curse words get a reaction out of someone.
...and it's not a reaction of "Wow, you speak so beautifully/eloquently/well!" :/

Cussing, in that way, falls into the same category as dirty sex jokes, racial jokes, making fun of someone, and gossip...
It's speech only used for a conceited, vulgar purpose.

Jesus called us to live a life of Love. When I see a person cussing, they definitely are not portraying themselves as being loving.

EDIT: @Kyramud, I don't think it's a terrible thing to say words like that... but I think we should be careful, for similar reasons as above... you don't want to be saying anything that would represent God badly. I say "crap" all the time, and I've been trying to cut back, but it's become a reflex... sweatdrop
I don't wanna say it so much because I want to really mean what I say, and not just throw "idle" words around.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm
Kyramud
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Heh, yup.

This!

Heh, I have to say, I kinda cheated a little on this one a little. I just had a bible study on this topic about a week ago, and most of these are posted on the fridge, and various places about the house. Though, I have to ask a question.

While I agree that the more blatant cuss words aren't okay for us to say, what about words like 'dang' or 'darn' or 'shoot'? I say those all the time because I didn't think they were bad to say, but some people I know claim these are just substitutes for saying certain other four letter words (no, not duck, or barn, or clap...), and as such are still grouped in the category of cuss words.
Any opinions?
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

I same the substitutes as well as cuss from time to time (though I try my best not to). I believe that dang and darn are still the same as the other one. And all 3 are still damning something or another which is wrong. If we were to educate ourselves a little bit more we could find MUCH better words to express our upset at something. I'm saying I need to learn this too. I try to catch myself when I start to say even the substitute words. They seem like little harmless words, but I have heard many conversations about cussing and using other words and I agree that it all is bad.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:24 am
Kyramud
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Heh, yup.

This!

Any opinions?

I say "shoot", "dang", "darn" too. I personally don't think they are the substitutes for other words... though I can see where people would get that impression. I always follow the belief speak as your conscience dictates. If you feel they are wrong to say, don't use them.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:19 pm
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Heh, yup.

This!

Any opinions?

I say "shoot", "dang", "darn" too. I personally don't think they are the substitutes for other words... though I can see where people would get that impression. I always follow the belief speak as your conscience dictates. If you feel they are wrong to say, don't use them.

I say them all the time too...I also say "freakin" as well and people think I'm cussing, which I don't do that. I see them as harmless words but other christians and other people who aren't saved may get offended...I try not to say them to much but it slips at times and I can't help it...BUt I think we should come up with other words to replace them but not as substitutes...  

Cant touch Kit

Shy Gaian

6,525 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

Xx to save a life xX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:42 pm
well i do think its a sin but not the most deadly. because i beleive that the original word of "cuss" is basicly just a word that has been mestup in the past a long time ago which cam from the real word curse. and well i dont rly wanna go araound cursing ppl i mean like if u wouldnt kill a person then dont curse them cuz thats like almost no different. u can cuss BUT u MUST ask for forgiveness. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 pm
Xx to save a life xX
well i do think its a sin but not the most deadly. because i beleive that the original word of "cuss" is basicly just a word that has been mestup in the past a long time ago which cam from the real word curse. and well i dont rly wanna go araound cursing ppl i mean like if u wouldnt kill a person then dont curse them cuz thats like almost no different. u can cuss BUT u MUST ask for forgiveness. 3nodding

i agree.  

FreshKilo

4,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 pm
Xx to save a life xX

sin is sin is sin is sin! there is NOT one sin that is greater than any other sin. The wages of ALL sin is death.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 am
faithful quenga
Xx to save a life xX

sin is sin is sin is sin! there is NOT one sin that is greater than any other sin. The wages of ALL sin is death.

You are so right! There is no such thing as a tiny sin, sin is sin and sin leads to death...it says so in the KJV bible!  

Cant touch Kit

Shy Gaian

6,525 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

XxRandom Wolf CookiexX

0 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 am
I don't like to write big passages so, yes it's a sin.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am
Whew I needed to know this... I just had a habit of cussing and I am trying to stop. Now here is another reason why. thank you!  

killuzoldyck

Fashionable Vampire

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 am
faithful quenga
Xx to save a life xX

Of course the wages of ALL sin is death, but wouldn't saying that a sin is a sin is a sin is a sin, contradict what Christ taught about committing the Unpardonable sin, that being the worst sin of all? A sin for which there is NO forgiveness?  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff