Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Can you "Take a joke"? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azume-chan

Friendly Elder

9,400 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 pm
I've been told a zillion times that if I can't laugh at my religion I'm not "doing it right". I take Jesus, God, and the bible very seriously and yet people diss me for not laughing with them. Sorry for being a party pooper but I'm not going to just take it because you want me to. I consider those kinds of jokes to be sort of blasphemy... depends on the joke. It just really REALLY bothers me and I try to avoid it as much as possible.

So my question is can you laugh when people make jokes about Christianity or God in general?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 pm
I feel the same way as you really. I love a good joke, but please don't make the joke about Jesus. If someone does I just ignore them.  

Phillip Solar

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:14 am
Azume-chan
I've been told a zillion times that if I can't laugh at my religion I'm not "doing it right". I take Jesus, God, and the bible very seriously and yet people diss me for not laughing with them. Sorry for being a party pooper but I'm not going to just take it because you want me to. I consider those kinds of jokes to be sort of blasphemy... depends on the joke. It just really REALLY bothers me and I try to avoid it as much as possible.

So my question is can you laugh when people make jokes about Christianity or God in general?

I think it depends on the joke. If it's a good joke that is humorous, then usually I laugh, but if it's mean or slanderous, then I tend to take offense. It also kind of depends on the person telling it. I don't know that I have a cookie cutter answer for this, sorry... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 am
Well, I agree with the other answers that it depends on the joke.
Take the British comedian Eddie Izzard. Well, I can't recommend him brecause he uses so many expletives in his shows and his stage gimmick is to be a transvestite but that's beside the point. He has several jokes about God and Jesus that aren't making fun of them. It's kindof like a sitcom. With Their conversations in a humorous way. The little plots he uses aren't really following the Bible but he's not making fun of Christians or Christianity or anything. (At least from what I can tell)  

Seraphim6496

evvethegreat

5,500 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:32 pm
Azume-chan

it pisses me off when people joke about god and jesus, i like jokes, but not those kinds of jokes.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:22 pm
i love jokes i really do, but when people start making joke about jesus and god it makes me sad and mad at the same time. if they would take the time to go to church and learn about him then maybe they would understand how we feel when they make them  

lil_ sweet kitten_15

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

ToxicPlay

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 pm
How do Catholics make holey water?

They boil the hell out of it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:27 pm
ToxicPlay

This was funny ^_^  

Nottaname

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:16 pm
My favorite is "How do you get a Baptist to go somewhere? Tell them there is food."
FYI I am Baptist and I can tell you it's so true.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 pm
*shrugs* I tend to chuckle at the jokes...  

ElisaBella Angel

5,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Voter 100

Sky2235

Virtuous Seeker

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm
Like was said up above, it definitely depends on the joke. If its offensive, I get hurt by it and won't laugh. But if its an innocent joke by someone then some jokes can be funny.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

It depends on the joke. I like the show "the Simpsons", but when they make fun of God, or go up to Heaven and show God, I do not laugh. There are some things though that make me laugh, it all depends on what exactly it is. Like when the town made gay marriage legal and the Reverend wouldn't allow it so Homer became a reverend to start marrying gays (and later everything), that was a funny episode. However in one episode where Homer predicted the rapture, I didn't exactly enjoy that so much. :/

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:12 am
Ill generally laugh at them all, names and jokes dont hurt me,what on earth could they do to Jesus?

Some of the Family Guy, god jokes are in my opinion by far the funniest, movies like "Dogma" also rate up there with my faves.

Not being able to laugh at your religion, doesnt make you a poor Christian.

Just a bit dull.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 am
all of these are so true, like how it depends on the joke, if someone makes a joke that is ment to affend something that has to do with Christianity i just ignore them and walk away  

ll Kensei Muguruma ll

Azume-chan

Friendly Elder

9,400 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 am
Br1ttana
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

It depends on the joke. I like the show "the Simpsons", but when they make fun of God, or go up to Heaven and show God, I do not laugh. There are some things though that make me laugh, it all depends on what exactly it is. Like when the town made gay marriage legal and the Reverend wouldn't allow it so Homer became a reverend to start marrying gays (and later everything), that was a funny episode. However in one episode where Homer predicted the rapture, I didn't exactly enjoy that so much. :/

Because grey will not do.
Yeaaah I feel the same way with Family Guy. Not that I care too much about. It has lost its overall humor a looooong time ago.

I mean jokes like these that were mentioned before
ToxicPlay

I don't have a problem (mainly because I'm not even catholic, even if I was, I wouldn't be offended. Not THAT sensitive.)

Its just when its intents and sole purpose is to offend and hurt people just to get a reaction is my problem. I never liked jokes like that despite of what the joke is about.

Four Mile Sprint
Not being able to laugh at your religion, doesnt make you a poor Christian.

Just a bit dull.

User Image
Ouch.

gothic_black_rose
My favorite is "How do you get a Baptist to go somewhere? Tell them there is food."
FYI I am Baptist and I can tell you it's so true.
Isn't everyone like that? xp lol  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces