Submit

O h a y a r i

Demonic Hunter

13,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:18 am
So I was lookin' around and saw the new Shadowlegend items. The "strange cat costume" is an absolute literal copy of Taokaka from BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. I see no credit given to the game's creators or anything. Anybody know why Gaia has ripped off a game so blatantly?

Proof: http://www.techarena.in/files/image/guide/032010/BlazBlue_Calamity_Trigger_/Taokaka.jpg  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:37 am
Its called Copyright infringement.

This way, people can cosplay there avatar(as so many people on here do) and they don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to do so!  

Agent_of_Misfortune

l Sailor Cancer l

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 am
For that evolving Item they also did Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters and
Voldo from Soul Caliber and other fighting games  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:51 am
User Image"Every scar is a lesson...

User Image

It's a very nice item for cosplaying, it also has a very nice wig for an Axel cosplay from Kingdom Hearts. Which is why I'm saving up for one.

...Every battle a test of what you have learned."
User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Parashta

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am
On the same line, one could say you're running out of original things to b***h about. This crap has been inducing baaaaaaw's from kids like you since the since was launched.

It is a cosplay item. It was specifically imitated for users' benefits. Credit will be given if asked for, though for all you know they've already discussed it with the creators.

Gaia makes cosplay items because we ask for them. End of story.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:12 pm
Captain Nazzy
On the same line, one could say you're running out of original things to b***h about. This crap has been inducing baaaaaaw's from kids like you since the since was launched.

It is a cosplay item. It was specifically imitated for users' benefits. Credit will be given if asked for, though for all you know they've already discussed it with the creators.

Gaia makes cosplay items because we ask for them. End of story.

If they asked permission there's no legal problem, but it remains blatant copying, which does not show very much maturity or originality.

But then again I'd be ready to risk lawsuits if I had hordes of kids endlessly nagging me to copy their favorite shows/games too. Just to shut them up, for a minute.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Gaia has modeled their items after popular game, anime, movie, etc characters since it first came to be in 2003.

This is nothing new. And cat costumes are not exactly owned by one person under copyright protection.

I'm sure Gaia either got permission or the BlazBlue people really don't care because this is basically like free advertising. And if they do care, then I'm sure they'll do something.

I'd hardly call it Gaia running out of ideas or lacking originality. Saying that is like insulting anyone who has ever cosplayed if they didn't go as an original character. Gaia just knows their audience and what we like. They're catering solely to our interests.

I mean, have you ever looked at the item petitions people make? The majority of them are for cosplay-like items.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:02 pm
Right... I'm with wakusei. :3  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:23 pm
Cosplay items are fun. Yes, I'd like to see Gaia come up with some more original (non lame) stuff, but the cosplay items aren't going to be turned down either.

I'd just like to see more stuff in green personally. I like green, but unless I want an odd looking avi, I really can't get many good looks with the current options.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm
Only one thing Waku, which may be why Lieutenant Sephiroth made the comment.... this particular item is undeniably identical.
Compared with other items that take creative license and even have amusing spoof qualities this one is a perfect copy.

We are not talking generic cat costumes here. So I hope they made sure it was alright and it would be nice if they say: hey blatant copy coming, knock yourselves out with the cosplays.

Edit: And sorry for being a stickler about this, I've had the topic of copyright issues in art play a part in my classes this past year and it is really something to be avoided as much as possible for a large number of reasons. For an individuals' fun is one thing, quite another for professionals and their businesses.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:12 pm
It's not a perfect copy.

El oh el. I'd say around 90% similar. At least.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 pm
You are completely right. I was looking through my anatomy book and saw a picture of people and my first thought was "gaia is stealing their avatar ideas from stuff." I mean two arms two legs and a head! How shameless can you get.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:53 am
I think also though on a different view a lot of these items require Gaians to pay for them with real money. I'm not familiar with this item so im not sure if it is one of these, but items of a sinilar nature certainly are. So you certainly can't use the "free advertising" excuse (which is stupid anyway) because you are buying something because its specifically made to look like something someone else has created and they aren't getting any payment for it.

Unless Gaia has some sort of creative licensing money thing they do then they basically have always put themselves in this copyright grey area. Perhaps some animation companies dont particularially care, or perhaps some just dont notice I don't know. We all rememebr what happened to our beloved Domo-kun emote D:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 am
D8>

Yeah, why did the brown egg hatchling have to leave us? =(  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 pm
I don't think anyone knows that Gaia didn't ask for permission or anything, though....

I mean, there's that Asian website Gaia is partnered with and that company and Gaia have a lot of the same exact avatar items because they work together. It's not a stretch to think Gaia is partnered with other companies...maybe even game ones. Or perhaps the item was originally designed by someone from that Asian website.

And like I said, if they didn't and the copyright people care, then I'm sure Gaia will have to pay for it.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff