Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
white lies Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 am
In a recent blow up argument with my family, this is what I learned (in a nutshell):

They know that white lies are lies.
They are okay with the statement that lying is bad.
They believe that it's okay to tell a white lie to keep the peace.
=><=
That symbol means a contradiction.
I interpret that as, white lies are bad but it's okay to tell them as long as there is peace.

When I explained that one white lie will lead to another and another and another and soon you're swimming in little lies, I was accused of nit-picking and also not letting people have their own opinions.

This subject is beyond dead between myself and my parents and sister. But I wanted to see what other Christians had to say about white lies.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 am
PawzPrint
In a recent blow up argument with my family, this is what I learned (in a nutshell):

=><=
I interpret that as, white lies are bad but it's okay to tell them as long as there is peace.

When I explained that one white lie will lead to another and another and another and soon you're swimming in little lies, I was accused of nit-picking and also not letting people have their own opinions.

This subject is beyond dead between myself and my parents and sister. But I wanted to see what other Christians had to say about white lies.

Lying is bad. You are intentionally deceiving someone.
White lies are also lies. You are intentionally deceiving someone, but it's for a good cause.
Hence, white lies are also bad. Even if the intention is to spare someone else, it's still lying to them, which when they find out usually results in broken trust, and worse pain than what you were trying to protect them from. The ends never justify the means.  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 am
So what about the white lies you tell to protect your family members? Like the one where you tell your kids not to ride with strangers because they're bad people, when in all truth, you don't know if that person is a bad person or just a concerned citizen offering a helping hand.

What about the little lies you tell your kids that Santa Claus is real? Or the one about the Easter Bunny hiding eggs all over the house once a year? Those lies are told just out of fun and games.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 am
If you ask me, lies are lies. And when you tell one, you have to cover it up with another, and another, untill it's like your life is a lie.

Try to avoid them, learn to tell if someone's lying, and if your stuck with a bunch of lies, TELL THE TRUTH. Easier said then done I know, but it's the best thing.

But I agree with Shadows-shine, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, they're for FUN and FUN ONLY.  

TheNamesJenny

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 am
But aren't you still lying, by telling your kids that they exist and encouraging them to believe in said holiday myths?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm
PawzPrint

=><=

I think it's ironic that they said you weren't letting people have their own opinions when you were stating your's. In other words they don't like you stating your opinion because it doesn't let others have their own opinions. Am I the only one that notice this?  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

rosadria

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm
Ephesians 4:25 (NASB)
Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth, each one of you, with his neighbor, for we are members of one another.

'nuff said, really. Other opinions are.. Other opinions. People are going to think what they want to think, but there is a Biblical standard for what is and what is not acceptable. At some point you have to make a conscious decision to follow God or to openly disobey Him.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm
gothic_black_rose
PawzPrint

=><=

I think it's ironic that they said you weren't letting people have their own opinions when you were stating your's. In other words they don't like you stating your opinion because it doesn't let others have their own opinions. Am I the only one that notice this?

I noticed it too but I didn't mention it. After my dad told me that I was a f***ing b****, I kind of took off -sigh-  

WoodSorrelWitch

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm
VK Fox
Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth, each one of you, with his neighbor, for we are members of one another.

'nuff said, really. Other opinions are.. Other opinions. People are going to think what they want to think, but there is a Biblical standard for what is and what is not acceptable. At some point you have to make a conscious decision to follow God or to openly disobey Him.
I like that verse, thanks for posting it.

Would this verse then apply to santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, etc? Just out of curiosity :3  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:07 am
PawzPrint
VK Fox

Would this verse then apply to santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, etc? Just out of curiosity :3

I would say so, and it really isn't as bad as it sounds. Little children can still participate in the fun of those things while still knowing they are not real.  

rosadria

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 pm
VK Fox
PawzPrint
VK Fox

I would say so, and it really isn't as bad as it sounds. Little children can still participate in the fun of those things while still knowing they are not real.
Ah, that's true. I'd be more important to tell them why things are celebrated.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 am
But the thing is those little lies that the parents told their children...like "Yes, little Johnny, the Easter bunny is real. He comes every Easter." Those kids participate in that event and believe that he is real.

I want to know, why even introduce those lies into the kids life? Why tell them that Santa is the one bringing the presents, when in reality it's mom and dad going out and buying the presents, then signing a fake name on the gift tag?

No little kid would participate in the belief of Santa or the Easter bunny or what ever, if they had not been lied to and convinced that those fictional characters were a reality.

So that is why I posed the question, is it such a bad thing if the parents tell their kids white lies out of having fun?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

rosadria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 am
It's still a lie, no matter what the purpose originally was. One day, that kid is going to figure out the truth. He'll be hurt and disappointed because Santa and the Easter Bunny don't exist. Most kids I know who believe in Santa idolize him. He'll be even more hurt because Mommy and Daddy knowingly lied to him and let him believe in these things.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 am
That was the point I was trying to get at, but maybe I was beating around the bush too much about it?

Personally I am not going to raise my kids to believe in the Easter Bunny or any other Holiday mythical characters. I don't want to lie to them for several years saying some thing is real when it's not. If I am asked who the funny guy in the red suit is in the mall around Christmas time is by my kids I will tell them, he is a man, dressed as a fictional character named Santa Claus.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:02 pm
I think there are many instances where a lie is more important than the truth. There is also a lie by omission, which in this case is also considered a white lie.

I work in a position where there are many confidential things and I must with hold information from individuals for others individual's protection. I cannot tell everyone who asks me, "did that person steal?" I cannot state this, for this would be unfair and unjust to the individual who is the suspect. So am I lying? In the technical sense, yes. Is it necessary, yes. Will I be condemned for protecting another individual, no.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff