Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Chatterbox
question Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lil_ sweet kitten_15

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:22 pm
im doing a history fair project this year and the topic is debate. The project im doing is on Euthanasia, a practice of ending a life in a manner which relieves pain and suffering of an incurable diease with the help of a doctor or third party. I know it sounds like murder but is it really wrong if the person doesnt want to live in pain anymore and decides to end their own life? is it still murder? When i looked up on which religions that were against it one was Christianity, what if a person was christian but they were for it? does that make them a bad christian?....  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:25 pm
User Image

Jesus gave you life.
You forcefully taking it is selfish.
You having someone kill you is still selfish.

Murder is murder, suicide is suicide.
No matter what.

So yes it is wrong.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:46 pm
I must respectfully disagree, diabetes. Euthanasia can be used to end an otherwise useless (harsh but true) life. And contrary to popular belief, most people who receive it want it. Theres a story of a soldier who became paralyzed, unable to feed himself, move, or even move his face. He COULD move his neck back and forth, and they installed a button that made a beep behind his head, so he could communicate through morse code. After installation, do you know what he constantly said while slamming his head into the wall? "S.O.S. Kill me." He knew that his life was no way to live, and it was just a burden on everyone.

I believe that an incapacitated life is not the way the lord intended for us to live. Euthanasia allows the person to be freed of the mortal coil that is, at that point, doing nothing but anchoring them to a prison of their own body. So no, I do not think that supporting euthanasia, in most cases, makes you a bad christian.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm
I agree with Testicular Diabetes completely murder is murder no matter what. We have no right to take away a life even if it's our life because our own lives still belong to God. We don't own anything not even the dirt on our shoes, only God is the owner of everything we cannot take away anything no matter what(that's right even if someone is in so much pain let God decide the time to take them away, besides he could be doing it for something important we don't even know about). So it's bad unless it's in self defense then there I would say it's ok.  

starry night-163

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:19 pm
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

Jesus gave you life.
You forcefully taking it is selfish.
You having someone kill you is still selfish.

Murder is murder, suicide is suicide.
No matter what.

So yes it is wrong.

User Image
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I completely agree with this. It's simply put but said perfectly!

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm
I don't know about 'bad Christian'. Misled Christian, maybe, but not bad.

It is a sin to take a life, just as Diabetes and Starry said. God gave the gift of life to us, and taking it [murder or suicide] is like throwing it back in his face with a lovely birdie and a smile. 'Eff you, God,' is pretty much what you're saying when you murder or commit suicide.

If someone is incapacitated, it did not happen without a purpose. God intended that. We may not like it, but that man's happiness and his family and friends' convenience was sacrificed for something. We don't know what, maybe it was a message, a story that would help many more. Or maybe it was for the obvious; he was a soldier, perhaps it was for his cause.

There is a reason. We may not like it, but that doesn't matter. That soldier suffered with meaning and with purpose. To take his life, even with his consent, is evil. If he was killed [was he?], then not only the people who killed him had sinned, but he had sinned, because he had chosen it.

Avioke

Conservative Conversationalist

Secret_lillies

Desirable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:05 pm
The answer is Euthanasia is wrong. Murder is wrong even if it is wanted.
Here is the true answer. God gave you life and he is the only one that is supposed to take it away. Asking to end your own life, or ending it for someone else is playing God. Unless God tells you directly that you should take a life or end your own (which I highly doubt) you cannot murder.

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=214  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 pm
Gregar828
I must respectfully disagree, diabetes. Euthanasia can be used to end an otherwise useless (harsh but true) life. And contrary to popular belief, most people who receive it want it. Theres a story of a soldier who became paralyzed, unable to feed himself, move, or even move his face. He COULD move his neck back and forth, and they installed a button that made a beep behind his head, so he could communicate through morse code. After installation, do you know what he constantly said while slamming his head into the wall? "S.O.S. Kill me." He knew that his life was no way to live, and it was just a burden on everyone.

I believe that an incapacitated life is not the way the lord intended for us to live. Euthanasia allows the person to be freed of the mortal coil that is, at that point, doing nothing but anchoring them to a prison of their own body. So no, I do not think that supporting euthanasia, in most cases, makes you a bad christian.

Job went through extreme suffering he lost everything and became severely ill but he always praised God through EVERYTHING and for that he was rewarded. He could have asked to die at any time but he didn't. He put his trust in God, knowing that this was part of God's plan. In the end God took away his illness because Job had remained faithful.

So I believe that if anybody suffers so badly they can't do anything they need to trust God. If it's their time to go he'll know, but if it's not he will make them endure the pain. (After all think of what his son went through and he never asked God to kill him.) But taking a life is taking a life no matter how you word it.  

Secret_lillies

Desirable Genius

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 pm
Secret_lillies
Gregar828

Job went through extreme suffering he lost everything and became severely ill but he always praised God through EVERYTHING and for that he was rewarded. He could have asked to die at any time but he didn't. He put his trust in God, knowing that this was part of God's plan. In the end God took away his illness because Job had remained faithful.

So I believe that if anybody suffers so badly they can't do anything they need to trust God. If it's their time to go he'll know, but if it's not he will make them endure the pain. (After all think of what his son went through and he never asked God to kill him.) But taking a life is taking a life no matter how you word it.

Forgive me, but I don't know who Job is. A member of this guild? Even if he is, I'm not sure that his situation and this one are exactly the same, in the sense that Job seemed to not be incapacitated.

Yes, taking a life is taking a life, but perhaps some lives need to go back earlier. Besides, who's to say that man performing euthanasia on another man is not god's plan to release one of his suffering children to come back to him. (I'm now quite scared that I've started a fate vs. free will debate, which I hope this does not turn in to, but that IS a possibility)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:20 am
Gregar828
Secret_lillies
Gregar828

Forgive me, but I don't know who Job is. A member of this guild? Even if he is, I'm not sure that his situation and this one are exactly the same, in the sense that Job seemed to not be incapacitated.

Yes, taking a life is taking a life, but perhaps some lives need to go back earlier. Besides, who's to say that man performing euthanasia on another man is not god's plan to release one of his suffering children to come back to him. (I'm now quite scared that I've started a fate vs. free will debate, which I hope this does not turn in to, but that IS a possibility)
Job is a character in the old testament. The story of Job. Right before Psalms.  

Azkeel

Secret_lillies

Desirable Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 am
Gregar828
Secret_lillies
Gregar828

Go to the book of Job in the old testiment. (it's pronounced Jobe but spelled Job) After Esther before Psalms

And the only situation where I think it's okay is if God directly tells you to take a life. (Which I still highly doubt.) But if you think, oh it's what's best for them with out God saying, Go end their suffering, then you are still murdering them. Even if it seems like you are easing their pain.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am
I'm not sure where I stand on this subject. Suicide and murder are both wrong because you are taking some thing that isn't yours to take, life. God granted us life and to take it isn't right.

As for taking some one off of life support, that's some thing that the family members are going to have to decide amongst themselves. They should enter at it prayfully and consult Heavenly Father for His feelings and opinions on it.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

@Shadows, I think the life support example is fine. Yes it should still be asked about by praying to the Lord first because you never know what he may decide to do. But pretty much when you're on life support your already dead. You just have a machine connected to your flesh moving it's organs and such.

@Gregar, you don't read the Bible much do you? It's really quite a read, you should check it out. ; ) And to the soldier being paralyzed, you don't know why the Lord kept him alive, maybe he had something planned for him, something much bigger than anyone could ever imagine. My mom recently found an old friend on Facebook who has since they last knew each other has found the strongest faith in Jesus ever. But also recently her husband was driving his motorcycle and got in an terrible accident paralyzing him head to toe. Thankfully driving behind him was a nurse who helped keep him alive until the ambulance came. Now did my mom's friend decide all hope was lost and the situation was too horrible for her husband to live and be happy in. Well I'm sure that she might have thought that for a second or two maybe, but she trusted in the Lord and now about a year later her husband is not on any machines, he talks via a computer program, he can move parts of his body, and while they do all struggle they keep strong in the Lord and are very happy.

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 pm
Br1ttana

@Shadows, I think the life support example is fine. Yes it should still be asked about by praying to the Lord first because you never know what he may decide to do. But pretty much when you're on life support your already dead. You just have a machine connected to your flesh moving it's organs and such.

@Gregar, you don't read the Bible much do you? It's really quite a read, you should check it out. ; ) And to the soldier being paralyzed, you don't know why the Lord kept him alive, maybe he had something planned for him, something much bigger than anyone could ever imagine. My mom recently found an old friend on Facebook who has since they last knew each other has found the strongest faith in Jesus ever. But also recently her husband was driving his motorcycle and got in an terrible accident paralyzing him head to toe. Thankfully driving behind him was a nurse who helped keep him alive until the ambulance came. Now did my mom's friend decide all hope was lost and the situation was too horrible for her husband to live and be happy in. Well I'm sure that she might have thought that for a second or two maybe, but she trusted in the Lord and now about a year later her husband is not on any machines, he talks via a computer program, he can move parts of his body, and while they do all struggle they keep strong in the Lord and are very happy.

I HAVE read the bible, and I've begun rereading it. I simply thought Lillies was talking about a personal experience with someone, I did not realize what she was talking about at the time.

Besides, whos to say that god doesnt want us to end the suffering of someone? I'm certain that god does not take joy in seeing his creations suffer. Besides, couldnt the same be said for trying to save someone? If someone were to get into a car accident, began bleeding fatally, and someone were around to stop the bleeding and saved his life, would that not be preventing god from taking that person?

I know that its extremely hard to understand, and I'm prepared to answer any discrepancies about my post. But no, I'm not saying we should allow people to die, though I can see how someone might accidentally interperet that from this post. All I'm saying is: If we should not help a suffering person who cannot die to die, should we help a sUffering person who cannot live to live?

Again, I realize how difficult this post is to interperet, but I'm not trying to say anything evil.  

Gregar828

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 pm
Br1ttana

Maybe, maybe not. I don't like saying that the person is already dead while they are on life support because we honestly don't know that, hebce the need to pray about it. So that's why I really don't know my whole stance on this issue at hand. I think the congresswoman that was recently shot is/was on life support and now she is responding to basic commands and moving her fingers and opening her eyes now. She is on lifesupport to aid in her recovery. So lifesupport is a good thing in some respects.  
Chatterbox

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff