Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
KJV, Why are people still saying it's acurate? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 am
The KJV is widely regarded as the one the most poorly translated English bibles in circulation by nearly every Textual Scholar and his Dog. Primarily due to the fact that it referenced so "little" from early manuscripts and relied extensively on the Latin Vulgate.
Added to this it has the prestige of

Containing thirty added verses
Thirty One missing Verses
Two Misplaced verses
Nine Verses not found in the earliest of manuscripts(Though to be fair, these are included in most Bibles the better ones leave footnotes to the effect though)
Fourty Seven incorrect words (each of repeated instances)words Latin and Greek sources
and over thirty general mistranslation errors.

It is in fact such a poor translation, that the Church of England(for whom it was translated) no longer use it, and favour other translations.

Not to mention the whole "Lucifer" debauchle the KJV is single-handedly responsible for.

I am constantly seeing Christian's making the horrific claim that the KJV is an accurate translation or worse "The Most Accurate" translation.

Why does this myth persists, and are there any Christians present that can give some form of evidence to support this claim?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:21 am
I personally like it because it's old school and has an official sound to it when quoted. =) That's about it though haha. Thou shalt NOT! Thou shalt! Thy. I just love the diction.

But mind you I like to go into the actual Hebrew.  

Azkeel

Azkeel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:25 am
And you mean to tell me bible's are different?! But I thought they were all the PERFECT word of GOD?! OH NOES!~
Sorry...
I like The book of Enoch =)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 am
Azkeel
I personally like it because it's old school and has an official sound to it when quoted. =) That's about it though haha. Thou shalt NOT! Thou shalt! Thy. I just love the diction.

Nothing wrong at all, with liking it.

I love it myself, im always reading it, it's a very relaxing form of text.
I just have problems with people thinking that it is exceptionally accurate.  

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Azkeel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:29 am
Haha Coffee
Azkeel

Well truth be told Constantine at the meeting of Nicaea was AFTER the death of our beloved messiah and books were taken and thrown out or put in. We must be mindful of Constantine's power and cause. That's why we're told to seek truth. Or perhaps I have spoken too much...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:33 am
Just like the name change. Yahu'shua to Jesus Christ. I personally see no reason to "Translate" a name. I will be Jeff where ever I go! I will not answer to Godfrey.  

Azkeel

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 am
Azkeel
Haha Coffee
Azkeel

Well truth be told Constantine at the meeting of Nicaea was AFTER the death of our beloved messiah and books were taken and thrown out or put in. We must be mindful of Constantine's power and cause. That's why we're told to seek truth. Or perhaps I have spoken too much...

Actually Nicaea had little or nothing to do with the decision of compilation of scripture.

Scripture was canonised at Hippo, long after the SCoH
There was also very little actual debate, they simply Canonised all the books everyone was using anyway as Gnostic Gospel's had fallen out of standard use long before hand through cultural means.

The only actual recorded debate we have over the legitimacy of any Gospel or Letter around the Hippo period, is over John, Revelations and Jude.
The concept that they all sat down and voted to keep out a ton of text's is fairly eronious.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 am
Haha Coffee
Azkeel
Haha Coffee
Azkeel

Actually Nicaea had little or nothing to do with the decision of compilation of scripture.

Scripture was canonised at Hippo, long after the SCoH
There was also very little actual debate, they simply Canonised all the books everyone was using anyway as Gnostic Gospel's had fallen out of standard use long before hand through cultural means.

The only actual recorded debate we have over the legitimacy of any Gospel or Letter around the Hippo period, is over John, Revelations and Jude.
The concept that they all sat down and voted to keep out a ton of text's is fairly eronious.
Ok, Please point me in a direction for research? The more I learn the better! I have no idea of this Hippo period and I would love to learn more.  

Azkeel

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 am
Azkeel
And you mean to tell me bible's are different?! But I thought they were all the PERFECT word of GOD?! OH NOES!~
Sorry...

Of course current bible's are different, each is translated with subtle contextual differances.
Very rarely if ever is the meaning of passages or Theological positions changed.
But occasionally context or use of words can lead to confusion.

Though nowhere did I state the Bible was the perfect word of God.

I also like the book of Enoch, and the Gospel of Judas.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 am
Haha Coffee
Azkeel
Sorry...

Of course current bible's are different, each is translated with subtle contextual differances.
Very rarely if ever is the meaning of passages or Theological positions changed.

Though nowhere did I state the buble was the perfect word of God.

Yes but you know how it's preached one name? wink  

Azkeel

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:42 am
Azkeel
Haha Coffee
Azkeel
Sorry...

Sorry?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 am
Haha Coffee
Azkeel
Haha Coffee
Azkeel
Sorry...

Sorry?
The name for salvation. One name one name one name. But then there are several. Yahu'shua is the name of the Son and Messiah. Then we get all these "Translations" down the road? I thought it was one name?

(The messiah literally comes in the Fathers name from the old testament thus the old testament is correct when saying one name as well)  

Azkeel

Azkeel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:55 am
But on topic as to why people believe it is accurate; It's because the Bible is, and will be preached as the perfect word of God. (Semantics aside)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:29 am
Probably because it has a lot of tradition associated with it. If only the scholars had the courage to translate, not transliterate.

I find its language old and difficult to teach. It's particularly difficult to use when teaching little kids. All they hear is these big words and crazy syllables that give me a headache.

As far as translating names goes, I don't have much of a problem with it. I'm a linguist. In English, my name is what it is. In my target language, it's the same thing just with different words. What I am and what my name is has an exact equivalent in the other language.  

rosadria

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:35 am
I have found errors in all the translations of the Bible, so that's why I tend to double check them against the Greek and Hebrew translations. It makes it easier to understand and brings the verses into context more so.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff