Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Introductions
old *refreshed* gaian saying hello! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 pm
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

hey there everyone!

i'm del, an old canadian gaian from 2004.
                    i've p much been on hiatus for two years until last month, so i missed a lot of stuff.
                    but hey -- i am slowly getting back into the loop of things.

i basically lived on gaia back in 2005-2009, so i have a fair bit of known how.

need some tips and pointers? i am here to help you out!

hope y'all have a swell time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:58 pm
Stay out of the mainstream Gaia, away from the site announcements and gold generators. 3nodding

Stay within the guilds, enjoy the items you have, and the friends you make like you used to do. The outside Gaia is on its way to an apocalypse I'm sure.  

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Dead Villain

Dangerous Raider

3,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:43 pm
ephemeral DELUSiON
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

hey there everyone!

i'm del, an old canadian gaian from 2004.
                    i've p much been on hiatus for two years until last month, so i missed a lot of stuff.
                    but hey -- i am slowly getting back into the loop of things.

i basically lived on gaia back in 2005-2009, so i have a fair bit of known how.

need some tips and pointers? i am here to help you out!

hope y'all have a swell time.

You mind me bother you ever 5 seconds? because that seriously what I'll do.... I keep having more and more questions. lol even my friend who brought me here regretted her decision . blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 pm
Different...Very.
Stay out of the mainstream Gaia, away from the site announcements and gold generators. 3nodding Stay within the guilds, enjoy the items you have, and the friends you make like you used to do. The outside Gaia is on its way to an apocalypse I'm sure.

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

i've actually been quite fine in mainstream gaia for the past month.
well, not super mainstream, but main-enough mainstream. made friends again already!
mostly thanks to the events though. thank goodness for those.

i... was well aware of the horrors of the gold gens mainly due to the fact i have a fair bit of know how when it comes to economics, lol.
i did cave a tiiiiiny bit so i could get a few staple items but really --
i don't have the money to spend on that crap anyway.
as much as it can be sunk, i want it to be sunk.

granted, a lot of my friends haven't logged on in years, sob.

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm
Diamond Skyelight
You mind me bother you ever 5 seconds? because that seriously what I'll do.... I keep having more and more questions. lol even my friend who brought me here regretted her decision . blaugh

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

can't guarantee i'll be the quickest of responders, but yeah. feel free to hit me up [quote/pm] anytime, yo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:49 pm
ephemeral DELUSiON
Diamond Skyelight

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

can't guarantee i'll be the quickest of responders, but yeah. feel free to hit me up [quote/pm] anytime, yo.

Great! XD Now what's a gold gen? Apparently it's bad but is it the Daily chance thing that you click on every day and it gives you gold and items? I don't see what that's bad...  

Dead Villain

Dangerous Raider

3,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 pm
Diamond Skyelight
Great! XD Now what's a gold gen? Apparently it's bad but is it the Daily chance thing that you click on every day and it gives you gold and items? I don't see what that's bad...
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

a gold gen, or gold generator, is an item sold in the cash shop. basically, it randomly 'generates' an amount of gold -- usually in the billions.

since they cost real life money (gcash/gc) to buy, people can basically buy endless amounts of them... and they keep adding in money to the economy.

money being added without money being taken away means that all things that cost money, in turn, are raised 'in value', since gold itself now 'costs nothing'.

therefore, as gold shop items will never raise in price... only premium items and past event items are being raised, to an insane degree.

and until the generators stop, the economy will only continue to overflow, thus making it impossible for newbies to just into the playing field right away without spending real money... which was never necessary before.

and the more real life money you spend, the more gaia will create gold gens...

it's a terrible cycle.

( daily chance is something else entirely, and a totally good thing. )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:52 am
ephemeral DELUSiON
Diamond Skyelight
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

a gold gen, or gold generator, is an item sold in the cash shop. basically, it randomly 'generates' an amount of gold -- usually in the billions.

since they cost real life money (gcash/gc) to buy, people can basically buy endless amounts of them... and they keep adding in money to the economy.

money being added without money being taken away means that all things that cost money, in turn, are raised 'in value', since gold itself now 'costs nothing'.

therefore, as gold shop items will never raise in price... only premium items and past event items are being raised, to an insane degree.

and until the generators stop, the economy will only continue to overflow, thus making it impossible for newbies to just into the playing field right away without spending real money... which was never necessary before.

and the more real life money you spend, the more gaia will create gold gens...

it's a terrible cycle.

( daily chance is something else entirely, and a totally good thing. )

Ha Thanks.

Ah I see, I got confused when they said gold gen because those daily chance things seem like a gold generator. you getting a random amount of gold when you click on it. I see, so you have to buy with real money to get one...

Another thing, Are questing thread worth it? (and is it a zomg thing?) I see those things pop up all the time...  

Dead Villain

Dangerous Raider

3,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:50 pm
Diamond Skyelight
Ha Thanks.

Ah I see, I got confused when they said gold gen because those daily chance things seem like a gold generator. you getting a random amount of gold when you click on it. I see, so you have to buy with real money to get one...

Another thing, Are questing thread worth it? (and is it a zomg thing?) I see those things pop up all the time...

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

no probs kiddo.

and yeah, gold gens and daily chance they are definitely different things. daily chance is the bomb! one of my favourite parts of the site, tbh.

anyway, as for a quest thread...
i think they are worth it. i've had my quest thread since 2007, and just keep recycling it!

basically, a quest thread is a thread where you take up a bunch of the first page posts yourself, and organise them for some common purpose. just check out any of the quest threads in the main quest forum -- you'll get the gist of it. here's mine to see an example off the bat:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

it's not just for zOMG. it's for any items or gold or even things like art that you may want! you can make single purpose threads (i.e. questing for one item, questing for one dream avvie, questing for art of a character) or multipurpose threads (i.e. questing for a wishlist, questing for multiple dream avvies, questing for art of a bunch of OCs). you can close the thread once you've achieved your goal, or rearrange it for your next goals.

it's mainly for self organisation, as well as trying to appeal to the gaian populace as to why they should help you! and, of course, it is also for talking. lol.

some charities also require that you have a quest thread, so that there is an organised resource for what you're questing for. all in all, it's a good option to have just imho.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:21 pm
ephemeral DELUSiON
Diamond Skyelight
Ha Thanks.

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

no probs kiddo.

and yeah, gold gens and daily chance they are definitely different things. daily chance is the bomb! one of my favourite parts of the site, tbh.

anyway, as for a quest thread...
i think they are worth it. i've had my quest thread since 2007, and just keep recycling it!

basically, a quest thread is a thread where you take up a bunch of the first page posts yourself, and organise them for some common purpose. just check out any of the quest threads in the main quest forum -- you'll get the gist of it. here's mine to see an example off the bat:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

it's not just for zOMG. it's for any items or gold or even things like art that you may want! you can make single purpose threads (i.e. questing for one item, questing for one dream avvie, questing for art of a character) or multipurpose threads (i.e. questing for a wishlist, questing for multiple dream avvies, questing for art of a bunch of OCs). you can close the thread once you've achieved your goal, or rearrange it for your next goals.

it's mainly for self organisation, as well as trying to appeal to the gaian populace as to why they should help you! and, of course, it is also for talking. lol.

some charities also require that you have a quest thread, so that there is an organised resource for what you're questing for. all in all, it's a good option to have just imho.

Your formatting is amazing. I can't understand a thing about formatting. Hmm Alright that sound cool. I'm pretty bad at reasoning though, usually I say "Please help me!!"
"Why?"
"Because I'm cute~! 4laugh "
And cue the run away screaming. lol.
Why doesn't anyone love me? crying

3nodding Ok, annd another thing, You have a pretty fancy posting style, do you have to copy paste the code each time or is there a way where you can put that and it's automatically put that code there?  

Dead Villain

Dangerous Raider

3,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 pm
Diamond Skyelight
Your formatting is amazing. I can't understand a thing about formatting. Hmm Alright that sound cool. I'm pretty bad at reasoning though, usually I say "Please help me!!"
"Why?"
"Because I'm cute~! 4laugh "
And cue the run away screaming. lol.
Why doesn't anyone love me? crying

3nodding Ok, annd another thing, You have a pretty fancy posting style, do you have to copy paste the code each time or is there a way where you can put that and it's automatically put that code there?

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

thank you for the compliments on my post style! you can do one of the following for a cool format:

[o1.] copy and paste the code each time. this is the obvs. the harder way of doing it, but it isn't too bad.
if you have a simple post style -- i.e. centre and smaller -- then sometimes it is easy to to apply it manually each time.

[o2.] get a browser extension that automates post styles. if you run chrome, there is the BetterGaia extension.
if you run firefox, there is BetterGaia extension as well as Tektek Toolbar. i am currently using BetterGaia, although i have use Tektek in the past.
i don't know what there is for safari, internet explorer or opera though -- likely, there isn't anything, sadly.

basically, they explain how they work when you install the things. if not, they all have help // guide threads, so doing a quick google for those will help.

as for what you actually code, however... that is up to you to have a decent knowledge of bbcode, lol. again, google can help you with that.

generally, for donation reasoning, being humble is the best option. granted, most people will just... donate if they feel like it, so 'begging' on the whole is generally not the best.
becoming friends with them is definitely the preferably option! (and don't just befriend them for money, lolol.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:16 pm
My cousin has been on here since 2005 so she's been helping me a bit but she said it's a lot different from even a little over and year ago so even she is trying to grasp onto things.  

easter bunniii

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:49 pm
easter bunniii
My cousin has been on here since 2005 so she's been helping me a bit but she said it's a lot different from even a little over and year ago so even she is trying to grasp onto things.
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

yeah. it is quite a bit different from over a year ago... at least topically. the base of things is all still the same, though.

if you need any help, i can do my best. i caught up p quickly on the changes aha.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:09 am
ephemeral DELUSiON
easter bunniii
▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .

yeah. it is quite a bit different from over a year ago... at least topically. the base of things is all still the same, though.

if you need any help, i can do my best. i caught up p quickly on the changes aha.

I'm slowly getting the hang out it! smile  

easter bunniii

ephemeral DELUSiON

Destitute Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:03 pm
easter bunniii
I'm slowly getting the hang out it! smile

▌▌Dᴇᴄᴀᴅᴇɴ ᴛ ɪ ᴀ . . .