Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 pm

"Shev," Aishe said, taking on a serious, commanding tone rather unlike the usual light one that she used with Sh'valt on a regular basis. "There's something I need to discuss with you. Come here so that we can talk properly." At present, she was pacing the ground before Rhianth, a rather amusing sight given that she was also quite pregnant.

She'd received word from a very important party about a job that needed doing - he was the exact man for the job, and she needed him ready for the danger it might pose. Specifically, a danger to his... whatever that silly attitude was regarding women. Well, not just women, but women and other beautiful people. Sh'valt needed to get that straightened out.

Bru, we have a way to make Shev stop being such a ninny about women, Rhianth said, for she knew that she needed to get him in on this from the get go, or there was a chance that Sh'valt would try to weasel his way out of the job. Which was a no-can-do.

Celeanor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm
Sh'valt had been enjoying his day off. Or rather, he'd been enjoying pretending that he had a day off - because Bru was very quickly reminding him that there was a to-do list. Among other things.

Like receiving a rather formal summons from his benefactor - and unofficial 'auntie.'

He'd climbed to his feet quickly enough when Bru relayed the call, and was in Aishe and Rhianth's vicinity within a few minutes. Seeing Aishe pacing like that raised a hair of alarm, however, given her condition. All jokes and procrastination aside, he was a healer, and she'd done more than enough to earn his loyalty and respect.

"Ladies first, auntie." He replied cheerfully, gesturing with his typical nonchalance for her to be seated before him. Until she told him the world was ending, he was unlikely to moderate his tone even in the face of her unusual commanding tone, but he was noting her gait and manner. Seemed ok, healthwise? Something else, then? Something serious.

"What's wrong, Boss?" He asked, tone the same but a more serious look darkening his eyes.

As for Brulixianth, his response to Rhianth was a simple huff. Only women?  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Also men, Rhianth confided, watching Sh'valt with a practiced eye. Ninny was definitely the world the Queen would use to describe him. Ha! He was ridiculous. We are going to send him to be with many beautiful courtesans. He will need to bring them back. Probably one by one, probably over a period of time.

Way to let the wherry out of the bag. Aishe stared imperiously at Shev. "I will pace if I want to pace, Shev. You know that. ... Oof. Or... maybe not." Because of course the baby had had to take that moment to give a particularly spirited kick. Glaring at Sh'valt, who was clearly in cahoots with the unborn, she found a plush chair to recline in.

b*****d.

"Now, sit." Maybe it was more comfortable to be seated, but that was not at all the point. "I have a mission for you."

Celeanor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 pm
It was perhaps to Aishe's benefit that Sh'valt hadn't mastered the art of aligning himself with unborn children, or he certainly would have found more than a few ways to cause all sorts of mischief for the goldrider.

As it was, he simply smiled benignly and took a seat once she had arranged herself. He did tilt his head a little at the word 'mission.' Usually Aishe knew better than to saddle him with anything official. Or important. Particularly important official things. Like missions. He was good at 'honey do' lists and unofficial 'this would be nice if' lists. Not 'this is important' lists.

Right, he was stressing himself out just thinking about what it could be.

"A mission?" If his voice wavered a little with uncertainty, hopefully she wouldn't notice. He'd be mortified if she did.

Courtesans. Bru interjected helpfully, as if that simple utterance would make him feel better. What? What about courtesans? Why....-?

Rhianth's will explain.  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Ah. There it was. "Shev, this is actually not... as intense as you seem to think it is. I just need someone who can pose as a buyer, or a broker. You'd be there to pick up some courtesans on behalf of a wealthy patron - a Lord Holder, probably, or a crime lord. Someone who would want young, pretty courtesans. Basically, I just need you to show your pretty face around, and pick up some pretties for me."

To Aishe, that sounded like a piece of cake. To Aishe, mind. "If you think that's too much for you, I can always find someone else for the job, but the thing is, you're handsome, and that's probably going to get the courtesans crawling all over each other to get to you. It'd be convenient. If I have to send C'rian, I will." It was not that Aishe hadn't used her husband for these sorts of missions before, but... she was pregnant. Would give birth soon enough, and didn't really want him to be absent.

Is he being a wherry again?

Celeanor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 pm
The blood drained from the young bronzerider's face in the time it took her to finishing saying 'buyer.' She wanted him to do WHAT? How was this not intense?!

Honing in on his rider's acute distress while the red-headed healer simply sat and stared at the goldrider, Brulixianth huffed assuredly. Do not be a ninny.

A ninny? Where did you get that from? Who taught you that word? The thoughts fairly exploded from him, temporarily lifting his paralysis long enough to mouth the word 'What?' before he slammed his jaw shut with a audible snap.

Rhianth. The shoe fits.

"What shoe---shaffitall. Aishe, that's low. Using your husband like that." Somehow, his brain had caught up enough to register that she was guilt tripping him. She was literally ready to give birth any day, she clearly needed this done, and he'd rather eat his riding helmet than get between C'rian and the birth of his child or Aishe and the company of her beloved mate.

"... can I ask why you are ...." He struggled to put the thought to speech, given the vile nature of human trafficking. "...purchasing them?" His disgust was clear enough, though not at her. Surely there was a reason for this.  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

"... Shev," Aishe said, and she was actually a little disappointed. "We're 'buying' them to rescue them. Obviously. This is a rescue mission. Zheria told me that they're selling underage courtesans, and that needs to stop. Actually, the entire trafficking situation needs to stop, but this is critical." As if she would buy them for a poor reason. Pfft!

"My husband would be the next best person for the job," she said matter-of-factly. "He's fabulous at this kind of thing." Which was just the plain truth. Honestly, if she could've done the job herself, she would have. She absolutely would have.

Don't be a ninny, Rhianth said, shaking her head at Shev. What in the world?

Celeanor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 pm
"Well if you'd said that part first." He started, realizing far too late that his hands were shaking. Shaffit, what had he been thinking? Rhianth's admonishment only further served to cement his guilt at misinterpreting.

Then....

"Zheria? We're working with the High Reaches?" It was really just a question, but he had good reason to be wary of the Weyrs. "Am I bringing them here or to her?" he continued, the less panicked part of his brain finally catching up and taking hold. The familiar jolt of fear remained, but he could work around it.

"Did you want me to get names, places, etc of the dealers too? How deep into the network should I go?" He went on, leaning forward a little as more questions piled up behind the first.  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Hmm. Shev did have a point. "Right, I could have said that first," Aishe said, resting in the chair. She put her foot up on a crate in front of her. "Shev, you'd be good at this. Also, they could use someone nice like you to spend some time with. I'm not asking you to take it really seriously. Have a little fun, mmkay?" Which he desperately needed.

You will be bringing them here, and we will find safe places for them, Rhianth said, peering down at Sh'valt, who seemed to be looking a little less peaky.

"Mmm... while you're looking into the situation, I want you to get all of the intel that you can. But don't put yourself at risk. I want to route this out, eventually... but today is not the day for it." They weren't ready, and she didn't want her group to take a fall for High Reaches. Still, it was a good cause.

Celeanor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:35 am
He sat back, mulling over the details in his mind.

Overall, yes, this was doable. Distasteful on the surface, and likely to become more so depending on what sort of black market dealers he would have to connect with. The sort of 'merchandise' he'd be looking for certainly wouldn't be sitting out on the street, it was illegal, and he'd have to be careul. Shaff this was nasty business.

He frowned slightly then, remembering his one and only experience with a fully trained and credentialed courtesan - the woman had scared the ever living daylights out of him. But more than that, she'd been ... a decent person. Perhaps he wouldn't have to delve into the dark recesses of society to help out. If he was understanding Aishe correctly, he had free rein to conduct this mission as he saw fit - so long as he was pulling at-risk younglings out of the proverbial fire and bringing them to her. There had to be others in the business doing the same... if he found those people...?

"Do you have any contacts? Anyone else already with a foot in the door who I can trust?" He asked, carefully. He had an inkling she also wanted him to go and 'have fun' in more adult ways with the highly paid and cheerfully employed adult members of the courtesan crafthall, but he'd rather avoid that. No use telling Aishe he was on to her ploy, though, or she'd recruit Rhianth ... and Rhianth would recruit Bru.

Wisely, Bru remained silent. It wouldn't do for his rider to guess that he'd already been 'recruited.' He would make sure his rider was the best in all things, including this. Rhianth would not have a reason to call him a 'ninny' ever again!  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 am

He was thinking. A common problem with Sh'valt, but it was just as much a boon. Aishe quirked a brow. "You know I don't usually do philanthropic work, but let's just say that I have a weakness where kids are concerned. I do have a list of contacts, and I'll get it to you before the evening's out. Memorize it. You won't want to have it written down."

There were some particularly dangerous characters on that list - although they would not be dangerous to Shev if he kept his nose clean. Which he always did. "A word to the wise - these aren't small players. I need you to be cautious. In other words, be yourself. Don't give too much away. Your attitude will work for you, so don't worry too much about any heavy hitting, mmkay?"

Rhianth simply watched, silently amused. Oh yes, this would work.

Celeanor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 pm
"Be myself and don't give too much away? Honestly auntie." He managed a slight smile, and leaned back. "That's a tall order."

So there were contacts, dangerous ones. Big time big wigs, high stakes high rollers... he could go on. He probably shouldn't go on. Dwelling on how horribly he could mess things up wasn't going to help him avoid messing things up.

"But alright. Count me in. When do you want me there?"  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

"I want you there tomorrow. If you need a few days to prepare, let me know, and we can make arrangements. But don't wait too long. There's a lot at stake." Specifically, a lot of young lives that didn't need to be ruined beyond repair. Aishe stood up, the effort of the action frustratingly immense. Examining Shev, she checked for any sign that he was rattled by her task.

What she found made a wry smile tug at her lips. "You're ready for this. Whether you think so or not. And it's only a contradiction if you let it be." Being himself, after all, didn't have to mean giving everything away.

Celeanor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm
He stood as well, following her movement with his standard fluid grace. His mind awhirl with what he would need, who he should tell (no one, as it happened) and what under Rukbat he should even wear on this little jaunt. He had a sneaking suspicion his usual leathers would be met with wariness, if not outright hostility given how rarely riders took part in ... questionable ventures. It'd probably be in his best interests to hide his dragon and craft a believable fiction to steady his story as a buyer.

"Thanks Aishe." He said quietly, stretching. "Is there anything else I can do for you while I'm there?" He added, thinking of some of the lovely textiles that came out of Western from time to time.  

Celeanor

Dangerous Lunatic

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

"Bring me back something nice," Aishe said, and tossed Shev a bag full of marks. She didn't stop to make sure that he'd caught them, because of course he had. "And get some new duds. You have a part to play. Give Casgar my best, mm?" The Headman of Western Weyr, as a former courtesan, was always a good source of information, after all.

She began to walk toward her tent, mentally going over the list she'd need to write for Sh'valt. "Oh, and stop by later for that list." Lest he forget. It would prove invaluable to him. This was the first major mission that she'd sent Shev on, but she had no doubt he'd be successful. He'd always been good with kids.

Celeanor

[IC RP] Holds & Halls

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces