Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Single-Sex Education Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:43 am
I've been going to an all-girls school since I was four years old and I am now 16. I can say one thing, I do have a wonderful education here. However, I've noticed that there are very few girls in my school that aren't militant feminists. I also feel like most of the girls here are pretty socially inept with guys, assuming all of them either have a crush on them and/or want to rape them.

At my school, the "health" class is changed to "womens' life studies," and it is mandatory for all sophomores to take a one-trimester class called "prepare" where you learn how to defend yourself. I have nothing against a self-defense class, however, the mentality of the program is very anti-man.

So, despite the fact that my private school offers a wonderful education, is it really worth it to disclude guys in our school? Is it actually benificial for us to study only with other girls?

Your opinions....  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:02 am
I'm home-schooled, but even so, I regularly interact with people, through my job, going places, etc... etc...

I don't think it's worthwhile to be in a place where not only do you not get to interact with both genders, but one is all but the enemy. It gives you bad standards, and doesn't prepare you and such. It's good to be mindful and see that there's danger, but if you look at every guy as if he either wants you, or is going to rape you, you're going to be hard pressed to get a significant other if ever you want one.

People constantly harrass me over being home-schooled, saying that I don't get social interaction, but I think you're more hard pressed for it than me. o.O Because I'm not restricted to a certain group of people.

Besides, always being around women has to give you a certain viewpoint on them that you won't be able to get about men.

>.>

<.<

I'm not sure if that made sense or not...

Aphiliam

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:23 am
Aphiliam
I'm home-schooled, but even so, I regularly interact with people, through my job, going places, etc... etc...

I don't think it's worthwhile to be in a place where not only do you not get to interact with both genders, but one is all but the enemy. It gives you bad standards, and doesn't prepare you and such. It's good to be mindful and see that there's danger, but if you look at every guy as if he either wants you, or is going to rape you, you're going to be hard pressed to get a significant other if ever you want one.

People constantly harrass me over being home-schooled, saying that I don't get social interaction, but I think you're more hard pressed for it than me. o.O Because I'm not restricted to a certain group of people.

Besides, always being around women has to give you a certain viewpoint on them that you won't be able to get about men.

>.>

<.<

I'm not sure if that made sense or not...
That's definately true. In fact, I interact better with men than I do with women, but I think I'm one of the exceptions. I find guys to be more honest and truer friends than my female friends.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:55 pm
Having an education where you are surrounded by people of the same sex actually makes learning easier. Sure you don't have the opportunity to interact with the opposite sex but they also can't distract you from your studies. You have the rest of your life to get used to having men around. At this time in your life school is more important.  

Endyamori

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:41 pm
I don't like the concept of single-sex schools in general. The teenage years are crucial to learning how to interact with the opposite sex, and being surrounded by the same gender inhibits you. Sure, you can figure it out later in life, but you lose a great deal of developing time, which puts you at a disadvantage when you finally do starting interacting with the other gender. This can lead to really nasty situations in college, where quite a few people will take advantage of naivete'.

I'm glad that you're one of the more well-adjusted ones, and I'm glad that the school is at least making an attempt to educate their students. I just hope that they don't do a poor job and demonize men or something equally foolish.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:32 pm
This is an interesting subject. I'm currently taking a Modern Western Civilization class (for those that don't know what that means, its 16th to 20th century history in Europe) and I just read about women's introduction to schools.

In the 18th century (around 1740), there was an uprising to get more people educated (men for the most part were the ones wanting to increase the education of other men). Women were basicly thought of as just being the "moms" or today as we know it the "stay at home mom" who just looks after the kids, makes the food, cleans the house, etc. But at that time, with the greater influence of books, newspapers, etc; women, wanted to be educated, too. However, most men didn't want this. So, femenists of that era, opened their own private all girls schools to give girls an education.

All girls schools isn't something new as its had its foundation since the 18th century in Europe. It wasn't to segregate females from males, it was to give women the opportunity for an education that they would never have gotten otherwise.

I think however, today, all girls or all boys schools are just based on tradition from its former roots. I know that quite a few unversities that were founded in the 18th century that were exclusively all boy schools, are now co-ed since in this current age we're trying to break down the walls of segragation in schools.

If you have a problem with being in an all girls school, thats a matter you should address with your parents. I think being in an all girls school can bring about naievity to the opposite sex. Children nowadays are more sheltered than they were in previous centuries. You may think that all guys you meet are trustworthy, however, there are both good and bad in both sexes.  

No Longer Yours

7,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

No Longer Yours

7,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:38 pm
Endyamori
Having an education where you are surrounded by people of the same sex actually makes learning easier. Sure you don't have the opportunity to interact with the opposite sex but they also can't distract you from your studies. You have the rest of your life to get used to having men around. At this time in your life school is more important.

Actually, without the interaction of males in adolescent development could lead to psychological disorders and a dependancy on females. The psychological damage, I would assume, would be determined on how femenist the school actually is.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:15 pm
I think single-sex schools retard peoples' social developements regarding interacting with the opposite sex. On the other hand, they often provide better education, so it seems to be a trade-off.  

darkzumi

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Sheakitty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 am
I didnt read everyones reply but I dont think all girl shcool is bad or anything but like I personally would want to be with guys cuz I have good guy friends that are nice and respect us girls but some can be mean and jerks but that dont mean all are..Anyways I am homeschooled..I went to public school K-6th and it was great with guys and girls and everything..but now that I am homeschooled I still have LOTS of interaction with guys and girls of course..I have more than I did public school..I go to church alot and events with church and meet TONS of people and when I get jobs and babysitting I interact with guys..I mean like maybe they want to keep the girls there protected from getting pregnant or something as a teenager or keep you from doing things with guys till your married which I think is stupid cuz you can hold hands with a guy and kiss maybe but its not a BAD thing..So Idk but maybe thats it..They dont want yall to get pregnant playing around with guys while your young..My firend is 17 and already had her baby just recently and my other friend is 5 months pregnant..Lol..Maybe its their way to keep everyone safe Idk really but I am homeschooled sooo yeah but nothing against all girl schools and yah know haha what if a girl turns lez from being with girls all the time haha ok just kidding..but anyways theres my opinion bye

sheakitty  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:38 am
I have never been to a same-sex school, so I can't really say that I have an opinion that can be backed up by experience. I did go to a small private (Catholic) school for a couple of years, and that was hellish.

When it comes to my own children, I will be sending them to a public, mixed-gender school. I would rather home-school, but I think social interaction is equally as important as education, which is why I think I will be adding on to their curriculum at home. whee  

ScrumYummy

i K i s u t e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:59 am
Yes, it is beneficial, however, they should teach all-girl's schools only until about 6th grade. Girl's would be more innocent and defensive against today's perverts, but, they would be able to pick out the good one's by the time they got to 12th grade. It isn't right to seperate girls from emotions they deserve.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:54 am
...u go to a school of feminists....oh poor you....i dont half get all this anti-man feelings going on right now.....i mean ok so we oppressed woman and stuff but most men aint like that now....but you still get women hating men????
it makes no sense
...if i were you id say..."so teacher what is all this male negitivity for then"???
oh and i have also found out that girls that go to all girl schools are MAJOR sluts...not all of them but if there is a little drink going garenteed a convent girl will be on guyS in no time  

Mike Strutter

The Exciting Mushroom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:51 pm
Well, I personally find it easier to learn with out guys around, because their such immature bum-holes. In class their always fooling around and it makes work hard. But that's a little odd with the self defense. you might need it for both sexes, not just men. You never know. o__0  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 am
My boyfriends school had segregated classes, i think he said that his english class was split into male female groups as the teachers had found that on their own the lads could work much harder than the girls could. But any girls who wanted to join the boys class so they could actually get work done were allowed...i think i would have been one of those girls. biggrin  

Demi_Pam

lyworm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:10 pm
CleverScreenname
I also feel like most of the girls here are pretty socially inept with guys, assuming all of them either have a crush on them and/or want to rape them.

Well, I learn at a normal (well, science, but still pretty normal) school. And I still assume that. Unless it's my guy friends, most of which I've been around for a long time and have a trust in that took that long time to build. I feel a lot more free around girls though, with guys I usually feel like in a flirting game 90% of the time. I'm afraid to go anywhere that's not overflown with people with boys.

I suppose that's partly because I've had bad experiences. A few boys that I tried to get to trust and ended up alone with ended up kissing me. So yuh.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff