Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Intelligence Enhanced Children Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you discuss this?
  Yes
  Nope... way above my head
  Not interested
View Results

Endyamori

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:45 am
Have you every thought about this? Enhancing the intelligence of future generations is where our technology is taking us.

A retard has the IQ of 70, an average person has the IQ of 100 and a genius has the IQ of 150.

Can you believe that in the future we may be able to enhance a childs intelligence to a IQ of 250? What about 300?

Even at 150 that person has a hard time fitting in. They are as socially accepted as a person with the IQ of 70.

So what is your view on this? Do you believe we should start enhancing the intelligence of children so that future generations can be super geniuses? How would it benefit the human race? How would it not?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:41 am
Why make people super smart....enhancing intellegence in a early age means they dont enjoy childhood as much because they must be stimulated. So i say no because everyone deserves a good childhood.. I wish I had one. I dont have to much say on this because I am only 12 so dont take my opinion to serious! 3nodding  

Darkhamster

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:08 am
Well, if social ramifications is what's troubling you, realize that the more people who do this, the more acceptable it will be. Could you imagine what a school full of children with 300+ IQs would be like? We would have to bring in college professors into elementary schools just to keep up. The faster we teach them all we know, the faster they will go out and start figuring out things that we DON'T know.

On the other hand, genetically altering children seems a bit far off into the future, and like all genetically modified organisms, there is the possibility of side-effects that we have not foreseen.

I don't suppose you have a link to the source of your information?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:26 am
Well, personally I think it's wrong to genetically and/or neurologically enhance human beings or any living creature for that matter.

If somehow scientists manage to find a way to enhance a person's IQ there would be repercussions. Especially in a child.

You see it in medicines now. Like the MMR shots that are given to children. Some of the kids given the shot took a turn for the worst and developed severe autism. What would happen if a doctor would purposefully alter a child's brain to make them smarter? It'd be a very risky procedure, surgery wise, and creating a pill could enhance neural activity but destroy something else in the process.

Why risk a child's livelihood and/or life for the sake of science?

And let's say that the process did work. It was a complete success and children understand let's say the laws of physics at the age of three. With great power comes great responisibility. People are corrupt, it's been that way for as long as the homo sapien species have been on this planet.

Maybe 1 out of 1000 people would use their genius to help people or the environment or whatever. And that's giving people credit a lot don't deserve.

Personally, I think enhancing the IQ of people would result in mankind's destruction.

Child prodigies are born, not made.  

Celestialize_Lenne

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 am
It's like inflation. If we raised the IQ level on every child, eventually 200 would be average, 170 would be retarted, and 250 would be genius. It doesn't really matter. And if we could put everyone on the same level, then no one would have issues fitting in.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:16 am
And if no-one had issues fitting in, society would become stagnated, no matter how smart people are, there would be no cause for them to use it.  

Hyratel Dragon

Noahs Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:13 am
If we nerologicly enhanced the children, humanity as a whole would flourish. We would make major breakthroughs in medical science. We would be able to cure any desiese almost instantly. We could solve conflicts with words and not bullets, the perfect world.

But, on the other hand, we could go into a whole Gundam Seed thing where the enhanced people end up waring against the natural people, and that woulden't be much fun at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:18 am
People always have trouble fitting in, it's a part of human nature to exclude others. If everyone is intelligent, it'll become by degrees, who's the smartest or the most talented or the best looking, etc. Stagnation of society is not going to happen.

In regards to a generation of braniacs solving our problems, I think we're all forgetting that they would cause a great deal of trouble as well. Genius terrorists are much more dangerous than the garden variety. Increasing the intelligence of a peoplewon't necessarily change their attitudes unless you change the way they're brought up. That means teaching them from when they're very young to respect all people of different backgrounds, etc. Basically, we'd have to brainwash them, and that may not even work.

In short, they may advance our sciences greatly, but society isn't suddenly going to become a utopia because you've upped their IQs. If anything, the sudden change would lead to a great amount of bloodshed, either from the kids being fought over, or them fighting each other.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

Endyamori

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:05 pm
dboyzero
Well, if social ramifications is what's troubling you, realize that the more people who do this, the more acceptable it will be. Could you imagine what a school full of children with 300+ IQs would be like? We would have to bring in college professors into elementary schools just to keep up. The faster we teach them all we know, the faster they will go out and start figuring out things that we DON'T know.

On the other hand, genetically altering children seems a bit far off into the future, and like all genetically modified organisms, there is the possibility of side-effects that we have not foreseen.

I don't suppose you have a link to the source of your information?

Yes but what happens to the rest of us that are not intelligence enhanced? It will be years before 100% of the population agrees to intelligence enhancment. We will have a war on our hands. Also... because there are so many people with an IQ of around 100, what will it be like for those few with an IQ of 300. It will take hundreds of years for this big change to take place.

I got my information from a class.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:33 pm
Endyamori
Yes but what happens to the rest of us that are not intelligence enhanced? It will be years before 100% of the population agrees to intelligence enhancment. We will have a war on our hands. Also... because there are so many people with an IQ of around 100, what will it be like for those few with an IQ of 300. It will take hundreds of years for this big change to take place.

I got my information from a class.

It is true that there will be a lag time before the rest of the world catches up with the first intelligently enhanced generation, but I doubt that the popular reaction would be negative and violent. Most likely, the change would be slow, and the numbers of genius children (which already exist) would increase gradually as more people learn about the procedure and decide to have it done. I also doubt that the first generations would have instantly 300+ IQs; they would probably be smaller increments at first.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

ka-pen-a

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:53 pm
I think its stupid why make every1 geniuses its just like wow ok we dont consider ourselves smart enough so lets make us smarter. i mean honestly its retarded why make every1 a super genius so we can find better ways 2 kill everything? its stupid were already 2 smart 4 our own good albert einstien said "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." and its true make every1 super smart and were all dead  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:53 am
A) I don't think you should use the term "retard." and...
2) You're missing the point that if they began enhancing intelligence (which is a long ways away), EVERYONE would be enhanced and so they would all be accepted as "normal") - Ever seen Gattica? and...
III) There's still a lot of debate over the nature v. nurture thing. I personally believe id is a combination of both, and that genetic engineering to enhance intelligence just gives you the tools--you need to be taught how to use them.  

spexial

Damion Dracul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:29 am
Endyamori
Have you every thought about this? Enhancing the intelligence of future generations is where our technology is taking us.

A retard has the IQ of 70, an average person has the IQ of 100 and a genius has the IQ of 150.

Can you believe that in the future we may be able to enhance a childs intelligence to a IQ of 250? What about 300?

Even at 150 that person has a hard time fitting in. They are as socially accepted as a person with the IQ of 70.

So what is your view on this? Do you believe we should start enhancing the intelligence of children so that future generations can be super geniuses? How would it benefit the human race? How would it not?

its not possible without side effects. Einstein for example, could not remember how to tie his shoes, or do simple equations.
Having a high IQ has side effects.
I for example think faster than i can keep up with words and thus stumble over my words and sometimes skip a few words, in an attempt to keep up.

Its also possible, that you can die from a too high iq, simply because your brain may deem breathing unimportant at some point of your life  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:10 pm
But if everyone had such IQs, don't you think that they would find ways to overcome those side effects?

Side note: Einstein couldn't do simple equations because he was incredibly bad at math, not as a drawback from being a genius Also, although I'm not too sure about how factual this is, I've heard that after some sort of testing, scientists have discovered that aside from him being ridiculously stubborn with his problems, Einstein's brain also operated about five times faster than a normal human being's. Back on topic.

I think the more important side-effects we should be worrying about are the unintended ones that arise from tinkering with DNA. We still aren't sure what each part of our genetic code does, and even if we find a way to make ourselves smarter, we may mess up the genes for something that we won't see until far down the line.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

User_2961583

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:58 pm
My IQ is 137 and I have no problem fitting in. Then again, I don't really use my intelligence when I'm around people. I used to do that kind of thing, for example, always winning at any sort of brain game (Hangman, Memory, Simon Says, etc...). But then people around me started disliking me, so I stopped. I also try not to show off in school. You can really see my intelligence shine on the computer, in terms of programming and hacking and such.

The Original Prof
But, on the other hand, we could go into a whole Gundam Seed thing where the enhanced people end up waring against the natural people, and that woulden't be much fun at all.

Coordinators for the win.

Damion Dracul

its not possible without side effects. Einstein for example, could not remember how to tie his shoes, or do simple equations.
Having a high IQ has side effects.
I for example think faster than i can keep up with words and thus stumble over my words and sometimes skip a few words, in an attempt to keep up.

I have disgraphia and ADHD. It might actually have something to do with the intelligence, seeing how the rest of my entire family has Asthma, not as much intelligence, braces, and other things that I have none of. My brothers have those things too, and I don't.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff