Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Christianity Discussion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teenlinksbro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:47 am
MOD EDIT, 6/27: Well, since this was a pretty bunk topic to begin with, I can see how it no longer is the subject for discussion. I'm going to leave this thread open for general discussion of Christianity, so feel free to continue.

If in The Omen, Damien is the son of the devil and is supposed to bring about the end of the world, why is Jesus's third coming supposed to start the end of the world? I've got a bunch of these questions, so...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 am
According or Revelations, after the Rapture, man will have to endure seven years of hardship under the Anti-Christ before Jesus comes to Earth for the third time (the first being his birth, the second being his resurrection) to save all those who were not saved in the Rapture.

I have not seen The Omen, so I'm not totally sure about how the son of the devil ties into it, but I imagine that it's quite removed from the actual religious texts, since the Bible doesn't list Satan/Lucifer/the devil from having any offspring. However, there are other religious beliefs that may describe it, as presented in the movie Constantine.

Still, as it's a movie, I wouldn't be too worried about religious canon if I was making it, much less if I was watching it.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

unhuman820

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:57 pm
Wow teenlinksbro, are you trying to use a FICTIONAL movie to discredit the bible?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:10 pm
I don't think he's so much as trying to discredit the Bible as he is just confused about the whole matter, due in part to taking a fictional movie for religious canon. And I thought people took the Da Vinci Code seriously! xd

PS: Awesome sig. I love Cyanide and Happiness.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

imbellis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:07 am
lol yeh. it was written as a fictional novel. yet so many ppl belve its true, its quite sad really  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:08 pm
I hate it when people do stuff like that and take made up stories and take it seriously.
I personally really don't care about what's going to happen at the end of the world because either we'll all be dead...or we won't. That's all there really is to it.  

Hiitachin Kaoru

torrinne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:29 am
Quote:
If in The Omen, Damien is the son of the devil and is supposed to bring about the end of the world, why is Jesus's third coming supposed to start the end of the world?

No, you're confused. According to the book of revalations, this is the order of events:

First, the scroll is unsealed, releasing the horsemen of the apocalypse, and the minions of Hell on the earth. They destroy 1/4 of the earth. This also causes natural disasters, and the removal of the last seal leads to silence in heaven.

Next, the seven trumpets are blown. This releases more natural disasters, and angels, who kill 1/3 of the remaining people. (Note: The followers of God are sealed, and are not among those killed ever.)

Next, two prophets are sent out to prophesy for 260 days. They are killed by the Beast from the Abyss. (Is this the antichrist? I think so.)

The beast has his way on the earth for a while, then the seven bowls of the wrath of god are poured out onto the earth. Bad things happen, which I won't go into since I just ate.

The city of Babylon is destroyed.

Then, at the very end, comes the New Heaven and New Earth, and the Son of God comes again. It's all over.

Hope that helped. I skipped over a few bits, so insert angels singing halelujah and angels talking to John wherever you want.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 pm
Here's a question I pose: Adam and Eve had sex and had children and that. But, if Adam and Eve were the first two people on Earth, their children came next. Then, this means that in order to populate the Earth, they would have to have sex with each other. Oh, wait a second, slight problem there: incest is a sin. So, is the human race damned as they populate Earth because of Adam and Eve's children and a mistake God made, or is the bible a fake? And another question: Who wrote the Bible? I find holes in things to disprove them, and this right here is a master question that can be unanswered. And many of the books were written around 2nd-3rd century A.D. This means they were written AFTER JESUS DIED. There were books written before he died, but the vast majority were written after. I personally think it was just some person wrote it, someone else read it, they passed it off as 'mysteriously appearing to them', two or three people believed them, they spread it round, some nut comes along thinks he's the savior mentioned, another and so on till we find the person everyone passes off to be Jesus. There isn't the SLIGHTEST evidence to prove that ANYTHING in the Bible is true except they found a large crucifix and about twenty meters away they found an old plaque that read 'King of Jews' in...whatever the Romans spoke. But that wasn't even on the hill where Jesus was supposedly crucified! If you could point me in the direction of proof, I'll follow God gladly. But if you say anything about me needing to be saved or I'll be damned to hell because this is blasphemy, you'll be ignored at first and if you persist I'll just report you. I need subsrantial evidence that this 'Divine Being' is real and it wasn't just some crazy idiot who thought this was all true and some crazy idiots believed him and so on and so forth until you get to today where Christianity is the largest religion worldwide.  

ampedVAMP

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:26 pm
good an evil are just forces which appear sepparate but are just 2 hands of the same body washing each

but sorry its a movie...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:58 pm
ampedVAMP, your question has been asked many times, and I've only ever heard one satisfactory Rabbibical answer: Adam and Eve were the first _Hebrews_ ('Hebrew' meaning 'person' or 'human'), so, since god made both "man" and "beast", He made all the other tribes as well. That is the Rabbibical explanation that I heard, so take it as you will.  

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100

torrinne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:11 pm
katsuhaiabi
ampedVAMP, your question has been asked many times, and I've only ever heard one satisfactory Rabbibical answer: Adam and Eve were the first _Hebrews_ ('Hebrew' meaning 'person' or 'human'), so, since god made both "man" and "beast", He made all the other tribes as well. That is the Rabbibical explanation that I heard, so take it as you will.

I wouldn't know about that, but here's an answer from a christian standpoint. In the Bible, God created humans on the 6th day of creation. No mention here of Adam/Eve. Then, after the 7 days of creation are over, God goes back and makes Adam and Eve from the dust. So, there are other humans, but Adam and Eve are "God's People".  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 am
ampedVAMP
Here's a question I pose: Adam and Eve had sex and had children and that. But, if Adam and Eve were the first two people on Earth, their children came next. Then, this means that in order to populate the Earth, they would have to have sex with each other. Oh, wait a second, slight problem there: incest is a sin. So, is the human race damned as they populate Earth because of Adam and Eve's children and a mistake God made, or is the bible a fake?

I'm a Christian, but I don't think that Adam and Eve is to be taken literally, more as a creation story, to explain how we came to be in simpler form, kinda. Does that make any sense?  

xxBatOutOfHellxx

Domo-Kun Chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:39 am
If you go along with the Adam and Eve creation story, incest wasn't a sin untill there were many people populated on the earth. For your second question, the Bible was written by man. Any Christian would admit to that, albeit that the people who collectively wrote it claimed to have the spirit of God in them and only wrote what God wanted them to write.

I'm not proving the Bible's rightness, I'm an Atheist, but educate yourself a bit before you spout out things that you're going to do to people if they say certain things. People are a bit more smart here than to do that. Also, some people here may believe in the things that you say are 'crazy', but please, respect what they believe.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:51 am
Personally i believe in the bible and god but every one has their own beleifs  

Elise Bear

bfdhshsgvjggh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:29 am
I have only this to say regarding the Christianity issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm

I think someone's watching. And I think someone's pissed. <.<

Oh, also, regarding religious extremists (Christian ones in this case as well). I have a friend who took a theology course in University some time ago. Near the end of it's run, they got a chance to talk to a number of religious leaders (priests, monks, etc). A pastor had this to say regarding religious extremists:

"The sad thing about religious extremists is that they don't actually read their scripture. If a religious extremist were to actually read their holy text of choice all the way through, rather than parts, they wouldn't be angry-religious people. They'd be hippies."

Just wanted to provide two side-notes. Anyway, continue. :3  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces