Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Alternative Egos on the Web Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ace doesn't really know what she's talking about...
  xD
View Results

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:52 pm
Recently I had an interesting situation happen on my cousin’s message board. She posted in the General Discussion about skink advice. The topic went horribly wrong and she had many rude replies. I came in and got all of the users but one to understand the full situation and start helping. The one user was a 17-year old Vegan who thought she was better than everyone else because she doesn’t eat or wear animals. Everyone came to the conclusion that this girl was immature, biased, and ignorant. Then it made me wonder…

Alternative Egos on the internet. Why would people really act so cruel in the first place? Or be so annoying? I honestly think because people can hide behind a computer that they can act different and feel superior. People argue over the net because they’re too afraid to do it in real life.

I could be wrong; a lot of people could just be their self… But I see myself saying and doing things that I think I’d be to shy to do in real life.

Eh, okay… maybe I can call this something else but I’m not really sure. This all just came into my head. But yes, I’d like to know what you think.

And before you ask, yes, I do have self esteem problems so that might be for this “alternative ego.”  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:11 am
I do agree with you. People are often different from their offline selves here on the internet; the reasons are likely as varied as the people behind the screens.

Personality-wise, I'm pretty much the same online or offline, though I can be much less shy online. I'm also able to be more open online just because I can't be hurt as easily. That being said, there are always people that can take what I say, twist it around, and make me feel upset or angry for the rest of the night.

Why are people cruel? Usually because they can be. What's the worst that can happen to them online? They get banned from a guild, or from the site completely, and they create a new name and get right back in. There is very little consequence.

And what about the people that really try to be kind? How often are they ignored, or laughed at because of their 'naievte' or how easily their hearts were stomped? I tell you, sometimes I feel like it's the evil against the good, and in a lot of ways it is.

We just plug along and hope for the best, try to ignore the wicked ones and encourage the others.... heart  

Mara_Brightwing

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:08 am
3nodding I always love reading your posts Mara.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:51 pm
Goddess Ace
3nodding I always love reading your posts Mara.

heart redface You're so sweet...thank you...  

Mara_Brightwing

Beitrix

Dapper Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:38 pm
i actualy agree with this topic because, well, it applyes to me!!

oniline i say things that i wouldn't dare say in real life becuase the people online don't know who i actualy am, or they do, and because i act differently online they don't know it's me. i'm very strait forward online, if something someone does iritates me i explode on them!! but in actuality i'm sitting here thinking.. "why would someone do that?" and i'm not exploding.

i think that the internet brings out peoples alteregos. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:20 pm
I don't know if there is one person here who could disagree, here. I agree. I know, too, because when I'm online, I'm more outgoing and like making friends more than in real life. In real life, I'm just quiet and unsocial (except around family. I guess I'm just two-faced either way...)  

littlewonder

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:27 pm
I don't think I have an alter ego on the net, instead, I can bring out the me on the inside. It's harder for me to talk to people out in the real world because of my Autism, but I'm much clearer when I type out what I want to say.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:26 pm
i'm always different on every website. on the internet, nobody knows what your really like so you're just so free to be anybody you want. it's awesome. pirate pirate arrggghhh i'm a pirate, or am i? ninja maybe i'm a ninja, or maybe not, but since you don't know me, you can't tell me otherwise. twisted twisted  

Rorschach and Prozac

4,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Necro Queen

Liberal Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:40 pm
I'll admit, I used to do exactly what is being discussed here. Me and my best friend (this is YEARS ago) used to go on the Britney Spears chatroom on AOL and just annihilate (sp?) all of the people in there who liked her. There was no reason, and we're not mean like that in person.

I've done many other crazy things too. Luckily, I've now matured and I don't do that anymore. I guess that could be a reason for it. Here we go...

Possible Reasons:

Immaturity
Need for Attention
Being Unsatisfied with Real Life  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm
I totally agree some peop;e do act way differnt over the internet  

Green Dragon Rider

Dapper Gaian

3,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Green Dragon Rider

Dapper Gaian

3,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:11 pm
But me I'm well..........me  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:52 am
I think that the whole appeal of the Internet is the ability to be and act like who ever you want. In most instances you can get away with a lot more on the internet then you can in real life. I mean think about it, that girl that you mentioned in your first post. All she needs to do after stating her opinion is move on to a different thread. There is nothing keeping her at that page to read other peoples opinions on what she said. Thats the kind of freedom that the internet gives.  

Morning~Kiss

Kaori Hana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:45 am
Goddess Ace
Recently I had an interesting situation happen on my cousin’s message board. She posted in the General Discussion about skink advice. The topic went horribly wrong and she had many rude replies. I came in and got all of the users but one to understand the full situation and start helping. The one user was a 17-year old Vegan who thought she was better than everyone else because she doesn’t eat or wear animals. Everyone came to the conclusion that this girl was immature, biased, and ignorant. Then it made me wonder…

Alternative Egos on the internet. Why would people really act so cruel in the first place? Or be so annoying? I honestly think because people can hide behind a computer that they can act different and feel superior. People argue over the net because they’re too afraid to do it in real life.

I could be wrong; a lot of people could just be their self… But I see myself saying and doing things that I think I’d be to shy to do in real life.

Eh, okay… maybe I can call this something else but I’m not really sure. This all just came into my head. But yes, I’d like to know what you think.

And before you ask, yes, I do have self esteem problems so that might be for this “alternative ego.”

I agree with you, I think most of the rude people on Gaia forums are just to scared to be so honest or cruel in RL so they are jerks online.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:05 pm
Its really funny when you find out that the really "cool" people online are really fat geeks in real life XD I know im kind of mean but hey I act online like i would in real life im just Me,Myself, and Irene..... WAIT! thats a movie!  

LordRyan

Taily-po

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:00 am
Yes, I'm realy shy in real life, but not on the web. I'm not a complete annoying a*****e about it either, though. I don't think I can be and a** hole. And I agrre, all the coolest people on here probably are nerds in real life. I know a few of them. Heck, I'm a nerd too if I think about it. Not a fat one, but still... I don't think it's physically possible for me to get fat.  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff