Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Why not stop all these abusive tendencies? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey skies tainted red

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:58 pm
What sparked this question is a notice that was sent home to everyone in my school district even the 1st graders got it. In this notice the principal explained about a new destructive "phase" as he called it in which kids place a rope or anything else around their neck and strangle themselves till they pass out. They do this in groups so that when you pass out they remove the object. I personaly did not recieve this notice because my mom has all mail sent to her job because she no longer trust its safe journey to her, But I saw 3 of these memos hanging on my friends refrigirator. Her parents are two of those awsome parents totaly cool with everything so they hung it up as in haha so funny. But I saw 3 and that disturbed me, because I could understand 2 of them. One for my friend marissa who is going into 10th grade and in high school and one for her younger sister an 8th grader in middle school. But the 3rd? Was for her 4th grade brother.... A 4TH GRADER! It bothered me so much cause he heard me ranting and came in to tell me he had never heard about it untill he was read the notice and his sisters explained it to him, he then told me his friends considered trying it because of what they had heard!
When I got home from sleeping at her house I opened the front door to see my mother home she asked me sit down and asked to see my neck, Asking if this was about the "Memo" she said yes and showed me the part were it advised parents to check their childrens necks for marks. I couldn't believe it, I explained how I viewed this as stupid and yelled how people who do this are morons!

Cutting,eating disorders,strangulation.........Why? Of all the stupid stuff in the world you could do as a "Phase or fad" Or "For control" Or "For attention" why this? I mean strangling yourself? Whatever happened to partying so hard you dont rember what happened? If I had to pick I would chose the last one. But why do any of that? Besides the partying what makes those other 3 "fun"?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 pm
I Know this is a hard question to answer but I figured it needed to be asked.  

Grey skies tainted red

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:42 am
No need to double post, this forum isn't that fast.

As for self-strangulation and other forms of self-abuse, the psychological reasons behind the need to cause pain or damage to oneself are numerous and complicated beyond anything that can be applied to everyone who partakes in it. Some people do it because they get off on pain or asphyxiation, others because they have suicidal tendencies. Some (like you mentioned) are doing it for attention, and some simply do it because it's popular.

Personally, I place the fault on the parents for not telling their kids that it's DANGEROUS to mess around with things like razor blades or rope or whatever kids are using these days. We have public service announcements for stuff like cigarettes and drugs (don't argue semantics with me at the moment, you understand my meaning), which parents generally know and warn their kids about regularly. Parents even talk to their kids about promiscuis sexual intercourse and risk of STDs. But they don't bother to talk with their kids about flirting with suicide? You can't just assume that kids "know" these things, and you can't assume that your kids are never going to fall in with "that crowd."

It's not as if this is a new thing either, self-abuse has been going on in some form or another for what I imagine must be decades, if not a century.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:49 am
I do know that it has been going on for centuries, but it never really bothered me till we recived those notices. And even then the only thing that bothered me is the fact that first graders-seniors recieved this notice, I mean parents dont take their 7 year old kids for random drug screening so why alert parents of children that young? Like I said the 4th grader told me his friends were considering trying it because "They warned against it," (Smart kid so he didnt do it.) Calling it to the attention of kids below the 5th grade is where I believe they made their mistakes. Is it wrong to tell kids that young about dangerous things like cutting?  

Grey skies tainted red

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:03 am
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with warning kids of dangers that they might encounter in their age group, it's the reason we warn them of talking with strangers. I think the biggest problem was HOW they chose to warn the kids. When you make them think that "it's a growing trend," all it tells them is that it's popular and that they should try it. Parents should be able to talk with their kids and, not so much explain, but make more obvious the dangers of choking yourself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:57 am
Ugh, the Choking game.
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.
If I was a parent, I would be more okay with my little kid smoking pot than trying to get a cheap high like that.
Some idiots have even tried that game by themselves, and they have died.
It just annoys me that any kid would be stupid enough to risk their lives just to get a buzz...
In my opinion, they should not have sent that letter to everyone in your school district.
Just the older kids.
Otherwise, the smaller children will get the idea and try it.  

That 70s Ho

Duchessa

2,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:21 am
They are dangerous (we know that) but the morons don't so their death can't be helped unless you go and warn ever single moron in this big place we call world stare .  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:53 pm
Duchessa
They are dangerous (we know that) but the morons don't so their death can't be helped unless you go and warn ever single moron in this big place we call world stare .

Well, with that logic, we shouldn't warn people about anything, and just let everyone figure out what's dangerous for themselves.

Simply because WE recognize and know that it's dangerous doesn't mean that everyone was afforded the same luxuries that we were. People grow up with different circumstances, parents, living conditions, etc. If we simply assumed that people knew what was right from wrong, safe from dangerous, the number of kids left alive in the world would probably be close to zero.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

SlaveToKarma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:19 pm
dboyzero
Duchessa

Well, with that logic, we shouldn't warn people about anything, and just let everyone figure out what's dangerous for themselves.

Simply because WE recognize and know that it's dangerous doesn't mean that everyone was afforded the same luxuries that we were. People grow up with different circumstances, parents, living conditions, etc. If we simply assumed that people knew what was right from wrong, safe from dangerous, the number of kids left alive in the world would probably be close to zero.
You are so right. My family is a hospital family. We all work at a hospital. And every singal night was get druggies, cutters, attamped suicides! Its so disturbing! And NONE OF THEM WANT HELP! They think it's cool to try to die! Well in their mind it's not dying... but a near death experience. And they won't ever learn till they realize if they cut a little to deep... take too much of a dose... that they will die. We are not immortal. we are human. And they only way they'll learn to to see a friend die or to be told that they are dying. And if thay happens, some just give up. I try to be kind to them and show them how wonderful life is. But they wont listen. So the only thing I can do left is to continue trying. Now my dad! well... he doesn't take any of their bull s**t. Heres a quote form him. "If you want to die, fine go and die on your own time. If 'you' think 'your' not worth anything, why should anyone else give a s**t? Luckily for you, you have a nurse that does care for the human race, and doesn't want people to die. I also have found things worth living for, and if you can't see it, then you are to ******** stupid. Now shut up and stop your self pity. You are in my care and I will take care of you." Good thing my dad is a manager, or else his a** would be fired. And the quote was about a patient that was a druggie with heart problems, and one more does would kill him. Yet he still wanted his cocain. My dad has done this to many patients, and alot of them went to rehab.

I think I streatched a little... too far from the first post... but... I know I made at least... 1 good point. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:42 pm
Actually this a game. The Pass Out Game to be exact.

Note: This is a strange game and no way am I involved with it.

One takes an object to strangle themselves with. After the person has passed out, they are revived to continue. Basically, one tries to pass out the fastest. This can also lead to deaths. Some children and teenagers, try to practice, by performing this at home. This also leads to death if any problem occurs such as unnoted tightness of the rope or other.

I saw this on the news and did my own research so yeah. I'm not sure what this is having to do mentally, but all I know is that it's dangerous. I'm not sure it is a phase either.  

Hiro Cascade

Elise Bear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:00 am
its sad that they have to send home things to parents about stuff like that but the timesare changing for the worst in a lot of thing  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:00 pm
the Choking Game, the Pass Out Game, there are many names for it.

i heard about it on the news. a kid was playing it so much that his twin brother told their mom and later found the kid dead. all for a high from nearly dying.

this is not just a passing fad. this is as serious as doing drugs or smoking, people just don't realize it yet. the Choking Game kills brain cells every time the player passes out. if there isn't someone there to remove the rope then they will likely die from it.

but a rope isn't even needed. i remember being a kid and talking in the girls room about people pressing on their windpipe until their faces turn red or blue and one girls saying "yeah, i passed out once from it, but my parents didn't catch me." ((i can't believe i hung out with those people)) and this was in first grade!

i wear a old denim jacket to school. i hang out with the emos and goths. my momasked my one day if i 'cut myself'. i pulled up both sleeves and told her that i knew some, but that i would never do anything to hurt myself intentionally. 'that would be stupid.'

i think it is right to warn all parents, because a kid could hear about it from older kids and die, and their parents would have had no warning. i agree that it is sad they have to do this, but we must do what we can to protect the youth of our world.
[/rant]

blue_lutra

dianersj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 pm
kids do this to get a 'natural high' something about the brain not receiving any oxygen thus you pass out and when you wake up you receive this natural high which is immense loads of oxygen flowing back into your brain. its dangerous because people can strangle themselves to death. i believe its called the 'pass-out game'  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 am
I dunno, I think it's all for attention. It's all for the same reason some people decide to cut their wrists - they want to seem "hardcore" to their peers.

Honestly, it's all verrrrrrry stuuuuuupid. I mean, maybe some of you are right about them doing these things just for a high, but honestly, I couldn't picture an idiotic, 11 year old version of myself doing it for anything else BUT attention. Honestly, if I wanted to get high, I'd sniff markers or glue, all that other dumb s**t little kids do to get high.

I'd say the numbers of who does it for attention and who does it to get high may be disperse. But whatever their reasoning is.... it's stu+pid. For me, I'd either wanna die an old man in my sleep, or if I die before that time, let it be a grand, spectacular death. I don't want to die from an idiotic cry for attention in which all my loved ones will bestow upon my corpse the label of "moron."  

Hawk_McKrakken

Kazuma San

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 pm
i don't really know what it means.. but abucive is not cool dude! not at all!!  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff