Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Whats with Styroptypes? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use Styreotpyes?
  sometimes
  never
  maybe
  all the time
View Results

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:30 pm
I get called gothic all the time and in case the world didn't know its a religion and I don't fit that styrotype at all. and people still call me that goth girl and crap like that. The few people who go to my school who do know it's a religion thinkthat gothcs worship satin and are evil. How did this all start. Also why do people that wear sweat shirts get call Emo. A girl called me Emo and she claims to know me soo well but if she knew me should would have known that I find Styrotpyes to be the most affensive thing ever invented. I find it funny that so many people hate Streotypes but then they go and call people goth prep emo and other crap like that.

So where do you stand on the issue of Styreotpes? And where did they come from?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:25 pm
I use them occasionally I have been called an EMO on more than one occasion and it's true I am very emotional, but I also get called gay and the like, which isn't entirely true , but my point is half the time in my school someone will not even fit the bill to what an emo or goth or gay ya know. Although I do believe in the preps but only because they do act oh so much better than thou which just ticks me off, plus they also give out the emo's and the Goth's and the gay cards. Honestly I don't know where they came from, but I agree some people don't even know the meaning of half of what they say. As to where they came from ask the preps.Sorry couldn't help myself but seriously I bet if you asked a prep they might be able to tell you  

Dark_EdgeXI

6,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:41 pm
Phantom-XI
I use them occasionally I have been called an EMO on more than one occasion and it's true I am very emotional, but I also get called gay and the like, which isn't entirely true , but my point is half the time in my school someone will not even fit the bill to what an emo or goth or gay ya know. Although I do believe in the preps but only because they do act oh so much better than thou which just ticks me off, plus they also give out the emo's and the Goth's and the gay cards. Honestly I don't know where they came from, but I agree some people don't even know the meaning of half of what they say. As to where they came from ask the preps.Sorry couldn't help myself but seriously I bet if you asked a prep they might be able to tell you

I agree with everything you said even the prep part I bet the would know!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:14 am
Goth is not a religion, it is a sub-culture, much like the emo movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(slang)

In any case, stereotypes are generally used by the uninformed or ignorant, and most often mean little to no harrm. Regardless, they can be hurtful and should be snuffed whenever possible. There is not cookie-cutter archetype to anything in life, and people who believe that to be so are sorely misinformed.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

Deciare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:23 pm
Stereotypes exist to aid the uninformed in making snap judgements. That isn't a bad thing in and of itself, as there are times when relying on a series of snap judgements is far more feasible than conducting drawn-out studies and careful evaluation of all variables that are perceptibly relevant--especially if action needs to be taken in a hurry, which isn't uncommon in hectic workplaces and during accidents.

But a "good enough" solution is seldom good enough over the long term. First impressions are most helpful in the initial discernment of likely answers to questions one might have, but it should be understood that likely answers aren't the only valid answers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:27 pm
Stereotyping, where did it originate?

Human bias perhaps it what started it. For we as people are truly judgemental in nature. There is no denying that. At the same time, we can work to end such things as this. For as it has been said....stereotyping is rather offensive. In truth, I have never seen any good come of it, nor do I believe any ever will.

Regardless or not if there is any truth...labels are not something that should be put on a person other than that which they are born with, their name.

Keiji Death Kiss

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 am
It is snap judgements that keep us safe from a lot of dangers, which is why they were developed. When you see a tiger, you fear it because you stereotype that it is dangerous, even if that particular tiger is completely tame. Walking down a dark street, a person with tattoos, unkempt clothing and hygeine, or dark clothing instills fear in us because we stereotype that person as being dangerous.

To keep these snap judgements when it comes to non-life-threatening matters, however, I must agree is quite foolish.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 am
Prep is now being misused to =(
Many people get preps confused with girly-girls but they aren't.  

AnonymousPink

Deciare

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:34 pm
dboyzero
It is snap judgements that keep us safe from a lot of dangers, which is why they were developed. When you see a tiger, you fear it because you stereotype that it is dangerous, even if that particular tiger is completely tame. Walking down a dark street, a person with tattoos, unkempt clothing and hygeine, or dark clothing instills fear in us because we stereotype that person as being dangerous.

To keep these snap judgements when it comes to non-life-threatening matters, however, I must agree is quite foolish.

Those are excellent examples of what I meant to say. 3nodding

In the case of the tiger, there's no harm in assuming that it's dangerous and preparing to run from or defend against it, but there is a problem with striking the first blow before taking more time to determine whether the tiger actually is a threat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:02 pm
To steroetype another person is completely unfair. I often get called emo just because I have a darker mindset than others and dress in dark clothing. This labeling is man's innate instict to put down what they don't understand. And humans fear what they don't understand. This is where the snap judgements come in.

However, to take a common stereotype and turn it into a joke I don't think is bad. One is making a joke based on a stereotype within itself, not the person. All good humor stems from stereotypes.  

Himura_Battousia

CatsOnFire

Fashionable Fairy

12,925 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Member 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm
What dboyzero said is true. We often make judgements like this when we are trying to figure out if something, or someone is dangerous, or non threatening. To say that it is bad to make these judgements, then make them against another group while hypocritical, is understandable.
For instance, many fear "preps". The people who are given this label often ridicule others. No one likes to be ridiculed, and many fear the embarrassment that ridicule causes.
People who get labeled "goth" are often feared by others, because they dress differently, and many don't understand these people. Again people fear the unknown.
When someone labels another "emo" they are admitting that they don't fear them. These judgements go both ways. Some stereotypes are not feared, and when a label is applied it means "I don't fear them."
It is part of human nature. It was here long before we were, and will be long after we are gone. It does have it's uses, in that it helps people determine if fear is needed.
Had we not had it in our genes, we would never have evolved to the point we are now at, as our ancestors would have been eaten by tigers, and bears long, long ago.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:46 pm
I find stereotypes demeaning and completely untrue when it comes to describing a person. Just because someone likes the color black, it doesn't mean they are emo or goth, unless they choose to be. If they do choos to be that, than people should respect them, and leave them alone. I think that people call others by stereotypes because 1) they are always almost ina group, and want to look better than that person and 2) they just can't understand who they are themselves and so pick on those who are confindant on their way of life. I myself have called and been called many stereotypes, but I know better than those other people do, and I just kid around with my friends. I never call someone something if I don't know them very well.  

Tiigrex

Deciare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:30 am
CatsOnFire
What dboyzero said is true. We often make judgements like this when we are trying to figure out if something, or someone is dangerous, or non threatening. To say that it is bad to make these judgements, then make them against another group while hypocritical, is understandable.
For instance, many fear "preps". The people who are given this label often ridicule others. No one likes to be ridiculed, and many fear the embarrassment that ridicule causes.
People who get labeled "goth" are often feared by others, because they dress differently, and many don't understand these people. Again people fear the unknown.
When someone labels another "emo" they are admitting that they don't fear them. These judgements go both ways. Some stereotypes are not feared, and when a label is applied it means "I don't fear them."
It is part of human nature. It was here long before we were, and will be long after we are gone. It does have it's uses, in that it helps people determine if fear is needed.
Had we not had it in our genes, we would never have evolved to the point we are now at, as our ancestors would have been eaten by tigers, and bears long, long ago.

Is fear a necessary element of stereotyping? I think of stereotyping as a general, quick (and hopefully temporary) classification.

I may stereotype to guess, without properly knowing someone, whether they are a diligent worker. Whether they may be interested in some topic I'd like to discuss. Whether they're the right person to ask for a question I might have. Whether they're likely to have stolen something from me. Whether they're in an approachable mood. And so on.

It's not just about "goth" or "prep" or other such mainstream classifications. Snap judgments can also be made about whether someone is lazy, knowledgeable, irritable, lost, ambitious... The whole range of adjectives. A lot of those stereotypes will be based on what other people tell us and our own personal experience with people fitting some descriptions, so different people may have different stereotypical judgements of the same things.

With a personal stereotype, then, there's a hope that even if you're misunderstood by some people, that other will understand you. Mainstream stereotypes where pretty much everyone thinks the same thing about the same conditions are terribly dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:48 pm
Deciare
Is fear a necessary element of stereotyping? I think of stereotyping as a general, quick (and hopefully temporary) classification.

I may stereotype to guess, without properly knowing someone, whether they are a diligent worker. Whether they may be interested in some topic I'd like to discuss. Whether they're the right person to ask for a question I might have. Whether they're likely to have stolen something from me. Whether they're in an approachable mood. And so on.

It's not just about "goth" or "prep" or other such mainstream classifications. Snap judgments can also be made about whether someone is lazy, knowledgeable, irritable, lost, ambitious... The whole range of adjectives. A lot of those stereotypes will be based on what other people tell us and our own personal experience with people fitting some descriptions, so different people may have different stereotypical judgements of the same things.

With a personal stereotype, then, there's a hope that even if you're misunderstood by some people, that other will understand you. Mainstream stereotypes where pretty much everyone thinks the same thing about the same conditions are terribly dangerous.

You are correct that stereotypes are useful in other situations. People in their teens, and early 20's especially understand the school-house stereotypes of "prep", "emo", and "goth", that is why I mentioned them. Your list is comprehensive, even still, there are many more than those you mentioned.
Many stereotypes are based on fear, but the root of stereotyping is the act of making judgements, that we use to help us determine how we will act in any given situation.  

CatsOnFire

Fashionable Fairy

12,925 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Member 100
  • Flatterer 200

The Unsung Bard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:51 pm
MuffinChick54
I get called gothic all the time and in case the world didn't know its a religion and I don't fit that styrotype at all. and people still call me that goth girl and crap like that. The few people who go to my school who do know it's a religion thinkthat gothcs worship satin and are evil. How did this all start. Also why do people that wear sweat shirts get call Emo. A girl called me Emo and she claims to know me soo well but if she knew me should would have known that I find Styrotpyes to be the most affensive thing ever invented. I find it funny that so many people hate Streotypes but then they go and call people goth prep emo and other crap like that.

So where do you stand on the issue of Styreotpes? And where did they come from?

First off, it's spelled stereotypes. Second off, it's spelled offensive. Thirdly, define stereotypes. Judging people by their appearance, or by the way they act. If they judge someone by looks, and stereotype them, it's wrong. People are trying to fitin, so they dress the part. If it's by the way they act, it could be either way. There are a few people in this world who actually act like themselves, rather than trying to fill the definition of "cool." What most of you call stereotypes are just different titles that are assigned to different personalities. If you hate the world, your a goth. If you hate your self, your an Emo (Or is it the other way around?) Geeks are totally obssesed with a specific Idea (Band, Math, etc.), while nerds make time for other things like friends, if they can find any. A jock plays a sport. A gamer gets his tan from a computer screen. What you call "Steryotypes" Are really a set of qualities that define people. I myself am a nerdy, gaming, prep. I don't get upset over it, I just accept it. I know other people may not like it, but it is who I am.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff