Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply JAPANAMANIA (Anime, JTV, Jpop/rock, Manga.)
english dubbing :P Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

1+2=
  4!
View Results

Hanami10

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:20 pm
What do you people think about the english dubbing of anime?

It could be just me because I always listen to the original, but I think English dubbing for most anime are reallly really painful to listen to.

and that it just screws up the character's personality and image... sweatdrop

so... does anyone else think it's horrible too or am I just crazy? confused  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:56 am
i would say it really depends. most animes are messed up by the english dubs,but the real reason is how the translators translate it and who the dubbing department hires. like funimation used many of the same voices (example laura baily does tohru from fruits basket and also sana from kodocha,both made from funimation). there are some good animes that the voice actors keep true to the character,but many of the voices are unknowns anyways.  

Ravisher Santinka

chianachan
Crew

Shirtless Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:17 am
I RARELY hear a dubbing that isn't just please, gag me with a spoon... every once in a while you get one, but I listen to the original Japanese anyways...  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:09 pm
oh okay

but if you don't understand Japanese, then isn't it really annoying to try and read the subtitles while paying attention to the visuals at the same time?  

Hanami10

Ravisher Santinka

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:04 am
yea,but you get used to it. i find that its fun with animes you know they screwed up on,to watch it in english and have english subtitles,just to see how different they are. some of them from the 90s,like escaflowne,was really screwed up. i feel like pimp slapping the ones who did it in english.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:19 pm
oh, okay.

see I happen to know Japanese, so I don't have to worry about that much.
Even though I understand English as well, it makes me lose interest in watching some shows if their dubbing is dumb. sad  

Hanami10

Teka_The_Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:31 pm
I have to agree it depends on the anime and yourself

If you read the manga before you watch an anime...you already have imagined what the voice will sound like, which is why people are often upset about the English dubs...they're just dissapointed...unlike someone who had never read it before... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:02 pm
It all depends upon the the quality of the voice actors for the dub in some animes the english is actually done better than the japanese dub and then again like most animes they dub it low quality in case its not a huge hit so i think that they should always go all out theres some animes i really love in jap-dub but cant stand in the eng dub

....well thats just my opinion on it anyways  

IAmKeitaro

DANII LIEKS UNICORNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:41 pm
i hate the english dubbing its so ew... I love the japanese better because they have good voices.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 pm
Hanami10
What do you people think about the english dubbing of anime?

It could be just me because I always listen to the original, but I think English dubbing for most anime are reallly really painful to listen to.

and that it just screws up the character's personality and image... sweatdrop

so... does anyone else think it's horrible too or am I just crazy? confused
it's better to watch the anime in subtitles than english  

genji_90

maltos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:33 am
It's all really a case of opinion.

I think series like Naruto and One Piece (please don't hit me) generally have good dubs.

But when i get used to a japanese voice such as Chi and Hideki from Chobits, when i watch the english on dvd it sounded stupid so i switch back to subs.

I basically get used to the japanese voice acting, the english ones only sound stupid because people are used to hearing the character with a different voice.

But still...long live SUBS! (but i wish i knew japanese crying )  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:11 pm
Hmm
Funinmation does good dubbing, what need to be changed is Cartoon Networks.
They have seriously messed up Naruto, FMA, and Inuyasha with their bad dubbing.
In truth some are bad, some are good.  

xXx-numa-chan-xXx

Renji_equals_love

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:42 pm
i like it. I hate reading subtitles.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:56 am
will you ever see the day

Well it all depends really if i have watched the anime in its origonal format then of course when it comes to hearing the dubbed versions they do sound a bit weird as we get use to there voices by the time that normally happens. When i watched inuyasha in english dubbed it sounded so wrong that i ended up switching off i found i could not enjoy the anime in that format concidering the characters did not sound right and sometimes i notice where it is dubbed the female character or males either way sound really annoying.

For some reason when i watch a anime i am concious of the sub titles for about 3 to 5 episodes and then at the end of the animes i become aware i have been reading the whole time but the weird thing is i do not remember even reading. I get so wrapped up in the storyline that i do not notice i have been reading insted of just listening.

Does anyone else find this the case?

heartache leads astray

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

Tusyo

1,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 pm
I HATE dubbing! I've given up on dubbed anime completely. I either watch the subbed animes online, buy the DVD's and watch them subbed, or just read the manga. Dubbing has almost ruined anime for me. If it wasn't for the few animes I watch online, because I can't afford to buy the whole manga series (like, Naruto and One Piece) I wouldn't even be watching anime anymore.  
JAPANAMANIA (Anime, JTV, Jpop/rock, Manga.)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games