Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
Study Area Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanntastique

Springtime Scrounger

8,375 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:01 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

t e l l m e s o m e t h i n g i d o n ' t k n o w - - -
s t u d y | a r e a ✖
e c h o a n d p i e r a ✖
d o n o t j u d g e m e
o k a y t h i s i s S R S B Z N Z p e o p l e !
s i n g l e ✖

Okay.

Sitting slightly up, the redhead blew a lock of hair out of his eyes before straightening fully. "Right. You lot," he muttered, pulling over the notes David had passed over- - - Kas sent a thankful smile in the brunette's way. It was kind of him to help Piera and Echo out- - - and stopping them in front of Piera. "Make me feel so dull and uncultured, I swear," Kas sighed, pulling out his fountain pen and grabbing a sheet of blank parchment. The redhead was decent at artistic ability but his imagination was equal to that of a-- a bean. He could come up with things only after he was given something to work with, like building blocks or faff like that. Asking him to come up with something on the spot, with no prior initiative was like asking him not to eat. It just could not be done.

"I rescind my offer of non-help. Echo, you and Pie should go over the visualization as well sometime later. For now, I'll try explaining what I understand of the equation," the redhead spoke, attention mostly on what he was writing out on the parchment and not noticing that he had nicknamed Piera. The sound of the pen scratching on paper was all that was heard for a few seconds before Kas flipped the paper so it was the right way up on Echo and Piera's side.

"Alright," he began, hoping he wouldn't just confuse the hell out of his friends with his explanation. "That equation- - - t equals w multiplied by c over v multiplied by a multiplied as a whole with z- - - isn't completely necessary to learn to transfigure something. Merlin knows what would happen if it was. It's just a breakdown of the needed components to perform a transfiguration spell and basic instructions. Its factors, understand? So," the redhead continued, pointing to each factor he was indicating as he spoke, using his fountain pen with the parchment and his index finger on the book of Transfiguration Pie had had with her. "Each of the letters represent a direct factor in helping the spell work properly. Bodyweight a, viciousness v, wand power w, concentration c and spell incantation z working together result in t, the transformation."

"Each spell apparently has its own unique combination of factors depending on the level of component needed- - - so to speak. Let's take Acusignis, for example. So, these are the apparent values to input into the equation- - -"

Herein, the redhead shifted the focus to the Transfiguration textbook, where under the subheader 'Acusignis' was written the following words- - -

t= Transformation of a match into a needle
a= caster must be heavier than the match
v= intent must be at least mild
w= any wand power
c= fair
Z= well-spoken, as clear as possible

"'a' is pretty much a given, you have to will it to work on at least a reasonable level, channel any measure of magic through the wand since it has no specified point to reach, have at least a practical level of attention focused onto performing the spell and articulate the incantation well," Kas explained, tapping each symbol in correspondence to what he was saying. "If done right and you meet all the variables, then the spell will work. I assume the visualization further refines this because it's based off you and implements it all in your scale. You could use David's notes to research and understand it better. I could be wrong on any point," the redhead finished, looking up at the duo. He was satisfied enough with his own understanding of it, but he really could have taken something in the wrong context or committed an error. He didn't want his friends to be dragged down with him if he was.

Dear Merlin, that was long.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, the redhead sat back down in his seat, assuming his earlier relaxed position and fought the urge to blush in mortification.

He really wasn't used to talking that much at one time.

{ooc: YOU LOT ASKED FOR AN EXPLANATION, YOU GOT ONE. >D}

Cara MiaKitty

Piera Touko

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am
Rawwry

Staring up at the midnight Sky.
I wonder what it would be like to fly.
As I soar past and it's a storm in my soul.
Now I'm ready to let go. Now Let's go.
Ready to live the Best Night Ever.
Come with me and this will last forever.

User Image

Ash sighed. "Maybe that is my problem. I always fit in so well back home, had plenty of friends." he said looking up at the older boy. "Yeah, I was good, Played Second Striker on the school team. But I guess that's all just memories now... This place doesn't even know what football is." he said sadly before sitting his head down on his charms textbook. I wonder what Mum is doing since I'm gone? he thought.

Let Us Go: Library, study area :: Let's Forget the Pain: Bored :: Just us together: Darren :: Forever together: Single ::

Now Lets Go. Let's Fly. Let's Soar.
And forget the pain that was around.
Just a view of the midnight sky.
And a simple question of why.
I set off and I fly.

Sir Spazalots

Fashionable Lover

Piera Touko

Dedicated Poster

6,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:52 am
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

————————User Image
    .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Piera Tucker .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    яανєи¢ℓαω нαℓf-вℓσσ∂ 1ѕт уєαя

oooPiera gave a sympathetic smile to Echo as he told them that he wouldn't be much used if they wanted him to walk them through the equation since he was terrible at math. Patting his shoulder, she said, "Don't feel bad, I'm the same way. Mom said I inherited it heh." That was when she noticed David slip some papers towards their direction and tilted her head in curiosity.

But then her attention was stolen as Kas slid the papers the rest of the way over to them and she could now see that they were notes on the very topic that they were trying to figure out. Face brightening at the contribution she chirped,
                          "Thanks David. We really appreciate that." The 1st year girl then focused back on Kas as he 'rescinded his offer of non-help', which made her smile. She scooted closer to the red head to get a good look at the papers in front of him as he spoke. As he began to elaborate on the details of the equation, Piera pulled out her quill and began scratching her own chicken scratch notes so that she could make sense of it later.

Nodding faintly as he explained about 'a', but was more interested in what he had written, she hadn't understood 'viciousness' or 'v' before now, and it was still a little fuzzy...
                          "So c is concentration and it has to be at least fair....but what about 'viciousness'? It's not an aggressive spell...I don't really know what it means." But she was getting a much better understanding of what went into the spell with the equation being explained with the aid of Kas's words and David's notes. She was eager to try out the actual spell with the help of Echo's visualization.

σut σf cαndу:ooThe Blue Trio~

ωhεɾε Library, Study Area. oooo ωσи∂єяιиg Will I be able to perform the spell now? oooo ωเtђ Kas, Echo and David. oooo wєαríng Ravenclaw Uniform and Robes.

Greycast

Cara MiaKitty

mc2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:21 pm
    User Image

David Sinclair League
    [Ravenclaw]

House: Ravenclaw
    Wand: Supple and Smooth//11 3/4 inches//Hawthorne//Fairy Hair
    Current Age: 11
    Blood: The son of a squib and witch from pureblood families
    Year at Hogwarts: First Year
    Wearing: Ravenclaw Robes

I know I'm being nosey but Kas did take my notes... and...

David glanced up hearing Piera's question about 'viciousness'. He, personally, liked the equation in general as it gave him a foundation and formula to work with. Math was something black and white-something simple with a right and wrong answer.

"Maybe 'intent' would be a better word than 'viciousness'. Think of it as how much intent you have to master the spell instead of the traditional definition of 'viciousness'," David said before returning to his Potions studies, which obviously he hadn't been entirely engrossed in as he had picked up Piera's question and was paying attention to Kas's explanation of his notes.

"Oh, and sorry about the sorting feast," He added glancing up and then looking away.

Piera Touko
    Greycast
    Cara MiaKitty

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
    • Deal Me In 50
    • Married 100
    • Person of Interest 200

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
    • WilyTrickster 50
    PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:17 pm
    User Image
    Echo is...spacespacespacespace
    CURRENTLY // Looking Bookish at the Libraryspace
    CURRENTLY // single // crushing // singlespaces
    CURRENTLY WITH // Pieraspacesp
    CURRENTLY FEELING // Amusedspacespa
    CURRENTLY THINKING // 'She has a point...' spacespac

♣ ♥ ♦ ♠ You can really have no notion how delightful it will be
    When they take us up and throw us with the lobsters out to sea. ♣ ♥ ♦ ♠
    ════════════════════════════════════════════════

Echo nodded at David's explanation for Piera's question. He hadn't even noticed David passing the notes over, and now felt sort of bad over it. But the other boy probably hard the right idea about the meaning of viciousness. "David's probably right. I mean, viciousness doesn't necessarily mean that the purpose is vicious. It's your... dedication, sort of. Although, my main problem with having a math equation for this is that... well, math is supposed to be a definite thing, with values and factors... but how are we supposed to measure something subjective to apply it? The book doesn't even offer a recommendation or anything. It gives a scale of mild to extreme, but doesn't explain what the numerical values for those things are, or how to find them... It just doesn't make sense to me. And the final results of the spells aren't given values, either, so it's not as though we could plug all the factors we do understand into the equation to find the ones we can't... so I don't see the point of it. An equation is only good for illustrating something if you can solve it, right?" Echo's hand went to his head again, scratching in frustration. Math was not his strong suit... a lot of people figured that it was because he had trouble with the core principles, but that wasn't it. He had a real problem with needing everything to be explained and broken down to the smallest detail. Otherwise, numbers or symbols or factors ended up appearing out of no where and he couldn't replicate what was done to get them because he had no idea where they'd come from. If each spell they could perform had a numerical value assigned to it, and values could be given to the various factors, he would completely understand the purpose of the equation... but since there weren't, he had no clue what the point of it was. Without being able to be solved, what purpose could it possible serve? Other than to confuse the hell out of first years who'd never seen an algebraic equation before, of course.

When David apologized for the Sorting Feast, Echo shrugged. He wasn't holding a grudge over it or anything. He didn't have a problem with David. He thought that perhaps there were things the boy needed to work on to improve his people skills, perhaps, but then, who didn't have something they needed to work on?
                                                            "No harm, no foul," the brunette said gently. He thought that perhaps a lot of David's problems would be solved if he would stop jumping to conclusions about people... and stop assuming that he was smarter than everyone. That had felt like the driving factor behind his statements at the feast. He'd come off as arrogant. Particularly when he'd said he'd won out over the Sorting Hat over where he should be placed. The hat was older than even the oldest ghosts in the castle, practically. It was also far wiser; if David wasn't a good match for Ravenclaw, he wouldn't be in Ravenclaw, despite his wishing otherwise. And assuming that Echo knew nothing about Muggles or their medicine had been foolish of him, particularly since he had no evidence to support that fact. The only way to've known that he was a Pureblood would've been to know his family, and anyone who knew his family should know that his father was Head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office... and that his father was, as most of the office's heads had been, completely obsessed with muggles and muggle things. But it was a simple assumption; foolish, but simple. Echo was fairly certain plenty of their classmates had already made far worse ones. The other David, the Gryffindor, seemed a prime example. Echo wasn't sure what that kid's deal was. It was like he resented being there. He sighed. His classmates seemed to be an odd lot.

════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                            ♣ ♥ ♦ ♠ But the snail replied, "Too far, too far," and gave a look askance,
                                                            Said he thanked the whiting kindly but he would not join the dance. ♣ ♥ ♦ ♠

(( OOC: ))

mc2

Piera Touko

Greycast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:23 pm
    User Image

Muggleborn // Single

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Darren frowned when the younger boy dropped his head onto his book. He reached out and touched Ashley's shoulder involuntarily. "How about we ditch studying and go find a football to kick around? Remind us both of home, yeah?" Darren suggested, pushing his hair out of the way. Curious eyes looked toward the boy in front of him, hoping for a 'Yes'.

User Image

Sir Spazalots

Rawwry

Feral Fatcat

5,800 Points
    • Battle: Cleric 100
    • Money Never Sleeps 200
    • Flatterer 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
    • Deal Me In 50
    • Married 100
    • Person of Interest 200
    PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:33 pm
    User Image

David Sinclair League
    [Ravenclaw]

Current Age: 11
    Year at Hogwarts: First Year

I wouldn't exactly call it no harm... but whatever.

David moved over and explained, "The equation is subjective. It quantifies something that can't quite be quantified, but if you learn the system and stick with the system it can work quite cleanly. It's like the pain scale. How do you quantify pain? Doctors do it all the time though. However, the same injury will get a different answer from a different patient. Partially because of pain receptor differences in people, partially because people merely quantify things differently." He honestly had to force himself to stop on going on a tangent on how pain receptors were different in different people-for example females tended to have more pain receptors than males and so did redheads.

"The important thing with using the equation is not how you quantify your variables just merely being consistent," David answered with a shrug. "I personally like the equation method, it's clean, more precise, and once you accept that you merely have to be consistent not precise it is quite comforting. Then again I like things to be black or white."

Piera Touko
    Greycast
    Cara MiaKitty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:15 pm
    Rawwry

Staring up at the midnight Sky.
    I wonder what it would be like to fly.
    As I soar past and it's a storm in my soul.
    Now I'm ready to let go. Now Let's go.
    Ready to live the Best Night Ever.
    Come with me and this will last forever.

User Image

Ash looked up with a smile forming. "That would be so much more fun than melting my brain with all this." he said gesturing to the books. "I have one up in my dorm." he said. I just hope that third year isn't in the common room. he thought recalling the boy who had said the sport sounded stupid. How anyone could think football was stupid was beyond him.

Let Us Go: Library, study area :: Let's Forget the Pain: Bored :: Just us together: Darren :: Forever together: Single ::

Now Lets Go. Let's Fly. Let's Soar.
    And forget the pain that was around.
    Just a view of the midnight sky.
    And a simple question of why.
    I set off and I fly.

Sir Spazalots

Fashionable Lover

Cinnabun Gryffie
    Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
    • Gifting Gone Wild 250
    • Autobiographer 200
    • Pet Lover 100
    PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:20 am
    User Image
    No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind Blue Eyes
    And no one knows
    What it's like to be hated
    To be fated to telling only lies
    User Image
    But my dreams they aren't as empty
    As my conscience seems to be
    I have hours, only lonely
    My love is vengeance
    That's never free

Dhylan sighed, bothered by the fact that he was out of bed. He had an essay due in a few days, but he hadn't a clue where to start. Dull blue eyes stared at the same line of the same page of the same book they had been for almost an hour now. Platinum locks were crumpled and messy, which matched his rumpled outfit. Sweater sleeves poked out from underneath sweatshirt sleeves, making him look a bit more childish. He had glasses propped on his nose, but they were angled where it was obvious he wasn't using them. A strand of hair fell before his eyes, but he didn't seem to mind. He sighed lightly, resting his head on his hand and stared blankly at the book once more.

{OoC: Private scene. No posting unless you're involved.}
    No one knows what its like
    To feel these feelings
    Like I do, and I blame you!
    No one bites back as hard
    On their anger
    None of my pain and woe
    Can show through

No one knows what it's like
    To be mistreated, to be defeated
    Behind Blue Eyes
    No one knows how to say
    That they're sorry and don't worry
    I'm not telling lies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 pm
    User Image

David Sinclair League
    [Ravenclaw]

Current Age: 12
    Year at Hogwarts: Second Year

Maybe I should have read this year's textbook's more than once over the summer...

It was another school year and another fairly quiet one. He was slightly annoyed with himself, though, because, though he had read all of this year's textbooks over the summer cover to cover (like he did before his first year) he had only did it once this year and hadn't bothered taking the copious amounts of notes he did the summer before last. It was sloppy, actually. He had a good memory, but it wasn't like in a first reading he could memorize everything. And, he was frustrated that in Transfiguration he hadn't even remembered the exact chapter of the Mutobuprestis spell. It was sloppy. And if he missed that, what else did he miss from only reading the books once over the summer and skimming his textbooks for this year at the end of last year?

He frowned as he flipped through his transfiguration book making careful notes on parchment. On the bright side, he supposed, the first week of classes had been essentially review in almost all of them so he had more time to catch up from his laziness. Well, he had read practically all summer-it's just he hadn't focused as much on his school textbooks. As he flipped through his copy of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration he noted that the spell mutobuprestis, the beetle to button spell (at least he remembered that much), was actually chapter 4 in the textbook.

mrs-lestrange

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
    • Deal Me In 50
    • Married 100
    • Person of Interest 200

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am
    Valentina La Russa
    First year Gryffindor

As Valentina walked into the study area of the Library. her eyes went striaght to a cute looking second year Ravenclaw reading one of his textbooks. She decided to walk p to her and introduce herself. "Hello, I am Valentina Melody La Russa, first year." She said to the boy. "He's a cutie" She said under her breath. "I have a question for you?" She asked him  
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 am
    User Image

David Sinclair League
    [Ravenclaw]

Really... a question?

David was placing the variables into the basic equation of transfiguration for the mutobuprestis spell in his notes, and just as he wrote the last letter his quill slid, making a smear as he looked up surprised at hearing someone introduce herself. He narrowed his dark brown eyes in mild annoyance at the girl-Valentina Melody La Russa who said she was a first year and from her uniform he could guess Gryffindor. Well, maybe it would explain her boldness. Though, a first year Gryffindor hanging around the library tended to be out of character for them-it wasn't that some didn't show up, but still, it was early in the year, and most didn't.

She also said something under her breath before speaking up and saying that she had a question for him. "Then ask the question," He said bluntly keeping his voice to match the sound level around them, as he set down his quill, irritated at the smudge of the ink he had made. "What's the use of building something up? It only wastes time for everyone. I was lazier this summer than I should have been so I was planning to go over my textbooks again this week... your question, Miss Russa or was it Miss La Russa?"

mrs-lestrange

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
    • Deal Me In 50
    • Married 100
    • Person of Interest 200

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am
    Valentina La Russa
    First year Gryffindor

"Miss La Russa it's a Italian last name." She said. "Just call me Valentina" She carried. "I was just wondering if you could help me with my homework this year as I probably won't understand most of or I would probably forget to do it." She said as she was turning red in cheeks. "Basically what I mean is can you tutor me this year and maybe the next few years while I am here or until you leave." She finally said what she actually wanted. "As you can tell I am not into learning much and I don't really want to be tutored by a Gryffindor because I don't get along with much people in my house." Valentina said "It's okay if you don't want to I would robably just fail anyway."  
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am
    User Image

David Sinclair League
    [Ravenclaw]

So, she just picks a random Ravenclaw to ask? Stereotyping much? Wonder what she would have done if I had been sorted into Slytherin like the hat considered and she passed me studying wearing a green tie and robes trimmed with green?

"And you just pick a Ravenclaw at random to ask this? Stereotyping much?" David asked raising a brow. "And you are 'not into learning much'... yeah you will fail with that attitude, guarantied. For most people the only way to actually learn something is to put at least some work in."

He sighed, tapping a finger on the open page of his textbook, "Fine. Tutoring you to a point will serve as good review for my purposes, anyways. My goal is to get a perfect score on my OWLs and my NEWTs, teaching someone else is actually a good way to reinforce a concept for yourself. However, I'm not doing your homework and here..." He reached in his bag and pulled out a small empty notebook, "just write down your homework and its due dates and start working on it at least a couple days before the assignment is due."

"I have last year's text books essentially memorized, what subjects are the hardest for you or do you think are going to be the hardest for you?" David asked with a raised brow. "Oh, and I am David Sinclair League, second year." He stared at the red-haired Gryffindor first year and figured that if all that didn't scare her away he might as well try tutoring her. After all, he tended to have too much free time on his hands anyways. However, he wasn't going to sugarcoat the fact if she actually planned to get help and do decently in her classes she actually had to work to get there.

mrs-lestrange

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
    • Deal Me In 50
    • Married 100
    • Person of Interest 200

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 pm
    Valentina La Russa
    First year Gryffindor

"I understand I have to do my homework myself. It would be most of the subjects expect for Potions." She said "The actual reason why I chose you at random because I thought you would be the type of person that would keep me in line from failing." She said. "Not really much scares me expect for spiders I hate them." Valentina said. She kept thinking how cute that seond year looks.  
    The Library

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff
    Gaia's Games
    Mini-Games