Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Teepees
Sabin's Teepee Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 23 24 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm
There's Enough to Go Around
RP with Opal, An'Jeli and Zuriel
RP is Located HERE

User ImageOpal had been exploring the new area of the sea that she had recently arrived in. She was never one to stay in one place for very long, after all. And the last expanse of ocean, well, it had lost its luster and become lackluster. This part, it was a bit shallower - and occasionally she would wander up to the surface to see if she might catch a glimpse of some of the land-dwellers. They were strange creatures, and ones that looked ungainly to her. But they were just as gullible if not more so than those that dwelled in the ocean, as was proper.

Her kind was rare enough, and seeing others were chance encounters. So when she saw the unmistakable silhouettes of two mersoquili, Opal's interest was piqued. She hung back, decided to access the situation before making her appearnece so that she might better gauge how she might act. Were these stallions? Mares? Or perhaps a pair. If they were both mares, it probably wouldn't even be worth her while, and she might just as well go ahead and keep moving on. But otherwise, things could potentially be intereseting....

Zuriel looked up to see a pretty mer floating in front of him. By the tone of its voice she was female...he thought. She seemed to be a bit shy, but he was becoming more and more outgoing as time went on, surely he could make her feel welcome in these waters.

"Hello there Miss, its a pleasant day today isn't it." He smiled at her, not really moving so as to hopefully not make her uncomfortable. "What brings you to these waters?" he asked curiously. With so few mers about it was rare that he ran into any along his usual "haunts"

It was rather obvious from the get-go that she wasn't very good around other peopand it was even more of a shock when the stallion came up to her and was friendly. Having met only one other being under the sea, An'Jeli felt just a bit out of sorts with all the goings on. "Oh... Well... hellow there." A rocky start, but at least she was doing better than last time. If memory served she had simply stared at the other, too dumbfounded to form a coherant sentance around someone new. Tossing a few strands of white hair that had fallen into her face back, she cleared her throat in order to start off again.

What good was there in seeming unfriendly and uninterested?

Little did she know that another Mer was not far away... A female at that and one that didn't care for other mares even a little bit. Had An'Jeli had half a clue she'dve lit out as if a flame had made it underwater and fanned itself up under her fin. "It... It is quite pleasant out today... I guess what really brought me here was the fact that it's just too nice a day to waste it where I usually choose to live. Deep, bitterly cold water.... or sunshine and a talk with someone new. Even a drooling idiot would know which to prefer. "And for yourself? What do you do out and about here? Isn't it kind of shallow water?"

Opal ventured closer, ears pricked to the conversation that was begining between the two unfamiliar mersoquili. Judging on the words she could hear, it was an introduction. So this was no blissfully happy couple, or even old friends. Just a random happenstance that happened to bring three rare mersoquili to the same stretch of sea. Perhaps there were currents leading here, or they knew about the tender sea-weed that Opal had first glimpsed.

She approached slowly, a deliberately shy smile on her face as her light green hair drifted around her face. She looked one way, and then the other, and then up at the male with soulful eyes.

"Par... pardon me." She murmured lowly as she came within hearing range. "I do hope I'm not intruding on some private time between the two of you." She flashed only a ghost of a smile - and a nervous one at that. Hopefully, that would immediately drop a wall between the two of them by suggesting that they were a couple when they had obviously just met.

"I just... well... I'm afraid to say that I don't quite know where I am." She pouted, blowing some of her bangs away from her face. The damsel in distress card.

User ImageHe was glad to see that she was becoming more engaged in the conversation. "Well actually I come through these parts occassionally, and sometimes I go to the surface to look at...and sometimes even talk to the strange four-leggers that live up there...they are really quite unique, and rather smart too." It was nice to talk to one of his own kind though, immediately there was a basic connection that he just didn't have with land dwellers.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw something moved and he turned a bit to look. As it came into clearer view he decided that it had to be female, he just seemed to know. As she spook he felt himself having to focus on her completely because her voice was so low. Not that he minded, the poor lady appeared to be distressed and it was his duty to help others if he knew how. And then she kept talking. Private time? What does she mean by private time? I just met this girl so why would something be private He was a tad puzzled but he merely tried to keep up with the conversation.

"Oh don't fret Miss, we weren't having any sort of private discussion, in fact we just met. And I can help you around these waters, I know them well enough. By the way ladies, my name is Zuriel." He smiled, trying to include both back into things.

Oh good lord. ‘Jeli had met only a few others in her life and now to have a conversation with more than one person in the same day? She took a deep breathe, feeling the water soothing her as only the ocean ever could. All right, no need to be stupid about this… others weren’t likely to attack her and if they were it would have been done by now. Wasn’t Aquan, her sea otter, always telling her the exact same thing. She gave a slight smile to the other mer-mare and drew herself up straighter without realizing it.

A couple? Not likely as nice as Zuriel was, she had just met him. Perhaps he would find her incredibly irritating soon or vice versa? All well, innocent enough mistake… but a bit odd in her book for that to have been assumed. Maybe the other was normal and ‘Jeli’s way of thinking was backwards. Yeah… she’d vote on that one. Shaking her hair out, letting pale white-yellow strands float back, styling themselves however they pleased, making a halo around her head of ever changing yellow to gold to white as the sun shifted. She looked the innocent that she was. “I am An’Jeli… Most just prefer to call me ‘Jeli”

What most? She didn’t anybody. Lalala, not listening.

They had introduced themselves without having a second thought, now it would be her turn. She was curious about other Mer-mares, as this was her first meeting. Were they shy like her? Right now it was seeming like it. Heck, she was feeling quite bold in comparison right now.

Opal smiled demurely under her thick bangs that floated around her face. Well, this stallion was certainly not the brightest, and full of all kinds of good intentions. He even seemed to completely miss Opal's innuendo. That was perfect. Good intentions along with dim wits tended to spell gullible.

"Zuriel." She spoke quietly, letting a small smile cross her lips as she spoke it. "That would be quite noble of you. I'm afraid that I don't know much about these waters. I would love for a strong, handsome stallion like yourself show me around."

Her eyes flicked to An'Jeli, and she hoped that her bangs hid the shadow of annoyance that crossed her eyes. She never got along with other mares well. They just got in the way. Especially a real innocent like that one seemed to be. Males liked that: pretty little things that didn't seem to realize how pretty they were. It was something that Opal had practiced at mimicking many a time because it worked.

"Jelly then." She smiled contritely. "Like the stinging creatures?" She gave a light chortle.

"Ah you're right! It is similar to jellies!" He smiled, well this would be fun. He had never been with more than one of his own kind at a time before. So he struggled to connect both conversations to not make either of them feel excluded.

"Well then Miss, I'm sure I could take you to anywhere around here that you need to go. At least if its something half-way well known. And you 'Jeli? Do you need to go anywhere?"

He sincerly wished to help both of these nice young ladies. It was a sad world indeed when one could not afford to help another in need. Especially those who didn't quite know what they were doing. The irony was lost on him completely that the one probably missing the most in the conversation was himself.

User ImageOh like she hadn’t heard that particular joke a million times in her life… Heh.

‘Jeli tossed a few chunks of white hair back out of her face and gave a shy smile to both of them. It was on the tip of her tongue to get sarcastic at the mare, but how would she have known that ‘Jeli had not only heard that before but it also annoyed her to death. Besides, no jellyfish had ever stung her.. They just had to have their space and some respect.

Perhaps she was more like those little creatures than she realized.

Oivey. Amber eyes fighting the urge to roll, the golden spotted mare put a sincere smile on her face and relaxed more. “I’m sure I might be able to help a bit too.. Although I only know my way around deeper and quieter parts of the ocean.”

Zuriel was nice, she could tell that without guessing.. Although Opal seemed to be just a bit off. No, that wasn’t very nice. Chiding herself slightly she swished her tail, preening a bit as the sun hit her cheek. Felt so lovely out today, and she was probably just jealous that Opal really was lovely. Yes.. ‘Jeli was just being uncharitable. “Where do you want to see? Well, I suppose the word I’m really looking for is -what- you want to see, Miss Opal?”

Opal gave a delighted chuckle as Zuriel picked on on her 'joke' at An'jeli's expense. This might prove to be interesting after all. Especially at the spotted mare's tolerence. It had to bother her. Right? Opal certainly hoped that it did.

"Well..." She breathed. Where would be a good place to have them take her? it seemed that at least the mare was insistent at accompanying them. Perhaps she could find somewhere that would ultimately make her feel uncomfortable. And she couldn't just chase her off without losing the stallion.

"I have come from some deeper waters." Opal continued after hearing of Jelly's familiarity. "Unfortunately, it is hard to find good reliable sources of food so deep where the sunlight barely touches the water." She looked over An'jeli with a bit of a furrow to her brow. "Although I suppose with your pale skin that it might be hard for you to stay too long in sunny waters." She gave a deliberately concerned press to her mouth. Honestly, An'jeli's light coloration and striking spots made her a beautiful mare. Much more lovely that Opal would have liked. But she seemed nervous, insecure and shy. She had already guessed that she didn't know how lovely she was, but perhaps she was open to further driving at her insecurities. She just had to do it carefully - hit her anxieties without outright insulting, and try to have it go over the simple stallion's head.

"Can you show me somewhere that a lady can find a bite to eat?" She batted her eyelashes at Zuriel.

He was lucky. She actually wanted to go to a place that he knew how to find. It had been ages since he'd gotten lost going to there, maybe it was just because it was a place to get food though.

"Actually I do know a good place that's not too far from here. There are some absolutely delicious sea grass, and there's a small kelp forest not too far away that would provide a bit of shade if you can't stay in the sunny water for too long" he added for 'Jeli. "Its a rather peaceful place so maybe we can continue our conversation there."

This would work out nicely, they could all stay together and work on getting to know one another. Relief washed over him, he hadn't wanted to leave one of his new friends out so soon. He swam a little ways away. "Please just follow me, its right this way."

An’Jeli kept her ears pricked forward keenly, pretending as if the barb had rolled off her back and into the ocean without a second thought. Again, it was probably her just being a bit on the mean side towards the lovely Opal. Why were mares always so catty towards one another?

Finding out where the other mare wanted to go was of quite a bit of interest to herself, as ‘Jeli so rarely went anywhere. A kelpi had told her that made her into a freak, and yet her familiar only complained ever so often. Even then his complaints were because she never had any juicy stories for him to get to listen to. As if anything interesting ever happened to her. Ha.

Weird, the idea of Opal spending all of her time away from attention made one of her eyebrows shoot upwards in question. ‘Jeli simply could not imagine what it would be like for a mare like that to not want to be around people. Also, there was food to be found in deeper water, just not quite as pleasant or crisp as shallow water food. Bah, she needed to stop being so cruel to what could turn out to be a friend. Normally she looked at people with a mix of fear and hope at friendship. This mare made her look with dislike and distrust. Not a combo that she was all that fond of. Breathing deeply, her hair bubbling up dramatically as she pushed out bubbles ‘Jeli focused again. A tell-tale rumbling of her stomach started and ‘Jeli flit closer towards Zuriel, tapping her tail on his, arching her neck and giggling brightly. “Well then! What’re we waiting for.. Might as well get there with good timing.”

Even though she wasn’t sure of their direction, the mare flit forward, neck still arched playfully. Hopefully he’d be game for some higher speeds!

"Oh that's wonderful!" Opal beamed at Zuriel. "How lucky I was to have found a stallion that knows his way around." What a pity, apparently, that this was also supposedly an ideal spot for the other mare as well. Not that Opal actually believed that she was physically sensitive to the light, she just hoped that it might be a further discouragement for Jeli to keep her distance. Perhaps if she did not often go to the surface, she might even think that Opal was telling the truth.

"But it sounds quite lovely, Zuriel. A peaceful meadow of sea-grass hidden near the shade of a wide kelp forest." It did sound nice, quite possibly romantic. And Opal was hungry.

She nodded demurely to Zuriel. "Lead the way, my guide." she gave a bit of a stress on 'my', and avoided looking at 'Jeli at all.

Unlike An'Jeli, however, she kept an even pace with Zuriel, keeping her tail strokes small, and carrying herself daintilly, moving almost shyly, but making sure that her eyes were at the same level as his, so if he were to risk a glance over at her, she would catch his eyes with her own purplish-green ones.

He enjoyed the casual friendship that was growing between them. But as An'Jeli set off Zuriel was a bit torn. To try to take the lead and show the way and zoom through the seas or to stay back with the one who had asked for his assistance. He compromised with speeding up just a tad.

"Oh it is quite nice, a little paradise in the middle of the ocean." He glanced over at her and grinned "I really think you'll like it, I doubt you'll find a better meal around here."

He returned his gaze to where he was going. An'Jeli was ahead of them but they needed to turn a bit. "'Jeli it's a bit more to the right, we're getting closer though, it should be in sight soon."

An'Jeli didn't really notice that Zuriel seemed to be having a hard time deciding what to do. She so rarely came out of the ocean's depths that the happiness she was feeling seemed to be deep-rooted. The odds feelings she had towards Opal began to fade away as the water rushed over her body. It all seemed to become so much more clear and wonderful.

The direction to head towards the right just barely made it to her and she began to sweeps and spin that direction, doing circles effortlessly just to have the feeling of dizziness sweep through her veins.

"You're the boss, Zuriel!"

It seemed like a pity that he wasn't having as much fun, but she wasn't going to say anything and seem rude. Maybe Opal didn't like the feeling of dizziness and giddiness that tended to make swimming just a bit harder. "It's so lovely out today.. I so rarely come out of the deeper water. What a treat!"

Opal rolled her eyes at the ditzy enthusiasm of the yellow mare. Despite her desire to earn the attention of the vibrant stallion, being in the presence of this "Angel" was wearing on Opal's nerves.
At least the patch of sea grass was close, and the stallion had proved to be good for some thing. It was true enough that Opal was new to this area and could certainly use a reliable source of food. Of course, if that meant running into An'jeli or perhaps any of her other mares that she might blab to about. It was too bad that she had to tag along to learn of this feeding ground as well.
"Well, everybody needs a bit of paradise" Opal responded contritely to Zuriel, trying not to let the aggravation slip into her voice.

With relief Zuriel saw the place he had mentioned in front of them, not that he was known for his ability to get lost or anything..."Ah yes this is a bit of paradise that you won't want to leave." He smiled at Opal and then swam a bit faster, "what are you waiting for? Aren't you hungry?" He smiled back at her and then focused on what was ahead of him.

'Jeli seeed to be thoroughly enjoying herself so he probably wouldn't have to worry about her he mused, and those sea grasses were looking more tempting the closer he got. He glanced back again though to make sure Opal was following.

‘Jeli swished around and back, making a quick loop around Zuriel. Her eyes danced with the glee of a good meal. Being out and around people was getting a bit easier as she adjusted to them. Normally her tongue tied itself up, or fear kicked in so hard that breathing seemed like some sort of great feat. Heading towards the ocean’s floor, she settled carefully near the edge of the paradise and took a mouthful of food.

“Mmm..” Chewing completely and swallowing, bad manners to speak with a mouthful of food afterall. “It’s even better here during the daytime. I always just come in in the dead of night.” Which meant she had several sore spots on her tail from bashing into something. Even with her decent night vision.

Opal swam closely by Zuriel and granted him a demure smile before heading towards the seagrasses. He had told the truth and brought her to the grove as promised. It could be difficult to find such a nice grazing ground. The sea was quite a big place, after all. It was a pity that now this other mare knew of it too. "Thank you so much." She breathed by his ear as she swam around him in a tight circle. Giving him a wink, she then settled down gracefully on the patch of grasses.

Had to keep him wanting. Nothing more generous than a lovesick stallion.

She made extra care to wait until An'Jeli had taken several mouthfulls of grass before beginning to eat herself. Daintily, she took a small mouthful of the succulent grasses, chewing slowly while watching Zuriel.

She let a small, bemused look fall on 'Jeli before looking back to with a chuckle Zuriel as if sharing a secret.

Zuriel was a bit surprised as she swam so close to him, and the wink was a tad confusing...he decided to try to ignore it.

He watched contentedly as the two ladies ate their fill. 'Jeli just dug right in, a hearty appetite but still polite. Opal was just a delicate eater on the other hoof. Zuriel felt a bit self-conscious. He wanted to dig right in but at the same time felt that he should play the proper host and wait to make sure everyone was completely satisfied.

He found himself watching Opal who was giving 'Jeli a strange look. She turned and chuckled in his direction which confused him a bit. Was it wrong for someone to enjoy their food like that? He really didn't know, he hadn't been around too much company. He returned a smile in response to cover up his confusion and hesitantly took a bite of grasses near him, trying to eat small bites, though they were still larger mouthfuls than Opal's.

After a dozen or so bites of the tender sea grass, Opal huffed to herself under her breath. How contrite. The colorful stallion had led them here and certainly looked proud of himself. And Opal was tiring of the antics of the other mare. There was a reason that she was generally a loner.

But, at least, she had gotten something useful out of this meeting - she had found a reliable source of food in these waters.

Zuriel seemed simple, genial, and normally would have been a stallion that Opal would have delighted in manipulating.... if he had anything to offer and didn't have this annoyingly clingy mare still associating with him. It wasn't worth it. At least not right now. He was probably the sort whose idea of a good time was chasing dolphins or jumping through the cresting waves. How droll.

So, Opal rose from the seagrass bed and gave Zuriel a smile. "Thank you for showing me the way, kind sir." She at least should keep up the charade. Perhaps she'd encounter him again more privately, and she could determine if there was more to him worth her time. "But I must take my leave." Leave him wondering.

With hardly a look back to An'jeli, Opal swam out into the depths, her blue-green color quickly becoming lost against the similar color of the sea.

I'm WHAT?!
Soquili Involved: Megaera and Tisiphone

User Image Megaera hadn't gone father from home than Kamiki's teepee since her encounter with Azure. She had been feeling strange since then. Moodier than normal, hungry, and generally feeling off. He had been a strange stallion, and she still felt strange when she thought about him since then. But that wasn't the end of it. As the days stretched into weeks, she began to gain weight. It became more difficult to fly for long periods of time, and she felt even more strangely.

Today, she had made a trip to visit her sister Tisiphone. She always enjoyed being around her sisters, and was always in a better mood for it. Things made more sense. She didn't need to think about as much on her own.

She landed heavily as she arrived, grumbling to herself. "Tisiphone? Tisiphone, where are you?" She whined, nosing around the teepee.

Tisi peered from around Kamiki's teepee, eyes narrowing at her sister. There was definately something off about her, she could tell already. "What?" she asked, coming out and flipping her tail behind her. "What's the matter with you, you look awful?"

She looked her over more closely, her buldging belly and generally haggard appearance.

"I feel awful." Megaera snorted. "I feel bloated. Sick. But hungry all the same time. And it's not like I have been eating anything unusual. Rabbits, the occasional deer." She flicked her firey tail and shook her head. "You look well at least. Or at least as well as you ever do." She tried to make a joke, but it kind of fell flat.

Tisiphone let the joke slide, a concerned look coming over her face. She came near and nuzzled Megeara's cheek in a sisterly way, taking a deep inquisitive breath. "You smell strange," she said, pulling back a bit and circling her. "When did this start?"

Megaera scowled, an expression that had found its way to her face quite frequently recently. "A couple weeks ago, I guess. It's just been getting worse, though." She grunted.

"... why?" She asked with narrowed eyes.

User Image
Tisi opened her mouth to say something, but stopped. She shook her mane out and looked back over her. She thought to herself... I'm just thinking this because I'm around it so much... its all Kamiki talks about....

But she couldn't shake the thought. "You been around any stallions recently, sis?" she asked cautiously.

"Stallions..?" Megaera asked warily. A frown pulled at her mouth and her expression darkened. "Sort of. I... I got turned around during a flight once. I needed to get out. I hadn't gone exploring much past our home range. There was this little.... bug stallion. He was weird." Her ear flicked back.

Tisi shifted her weight on her fiery hooves. "A Bug?" She shook her again, that was also something not to dwell on at the moment. "Were you two... close, ya know?"

"Close?" She asked quickly, defensively. "I.... I don't know what you mean. I didn't like him if that's what you're asking. He was weird. Said strange things. He was... touchy."

Now Tisi's ears pressed hard back against her skull. "How 'touchy'?" She gave Meg her best 'i'm-serious-so-don't-beat-around-the-bush' look.

Megaera shrugged. She didn't like talking about this. She didn't even particularly like thinkin about it, really. It had felt so weird. Not bad.... but.... not really good either. "Real touchy." She paused for a moment. "Why??"

Tisiphone's expression softened a bit, but stayed just as worried. Now, it was worried a bit sympathetic. "I think... I mean..."

She paused. She had to be sure. "Did he like... get real close? Like..." she winced, the thought of what she was implying not something she had ever personally seen the appeal in, much less something she wanted to picture her sister doing, "inside close?"

Both ears lay back against her head now. How did she know that?? "Why?!" She demanded, a bit of fear slipping into her voice. "What makes you ask that? What does that have to do with me being sick now? Was he sick or something?"
She snorted a bit defensively... couldn't she tell she was trying to help? "Well... maybe," she said honestly, taking a step back. "But more likely... I think you might be pregnant."

Megaera froze. She blinked. She opened her mouth. Nothing came out. She started the process again then. Finally, the words came. "Wh.... WHAT?! No.... that isn't funny, Tis. Not funny at all. Pregnant?! I can't be pregnant!" She shook her head then, movement suddenly coming back to her limbs in spades. She began to pace, tail lashing behind her, cutting into the snow drifts collected near the teepee.

"Not if you didn't mate with him you can't be..." Tisiphone watched her sister pace, giving a heavy sigh. "But if you did/i] you've got all the systoms. You're balooning like a overripe melon, you're tired, your ... " she tilted her head, "hair is looking shinier and fiery than ever. Been having mood swings? Have been physically ill"

Megaera swallowed. "Yes... yes, yes YES!" She wheeled, upset, and apparently perfectly characteristic of the mood swings that Tisiphone had just described. Her eyes shone brightly - whether with brimming tears, anger.... or both - wasn't readily apparent. Even when she screamed, "I'm going to KILL him!"

Tisiphone shook her head. "With a Bug Soquili? really Meg...." She made a little gasp at a realization. "You're going to have to tell Father..." The expression on her face clearly indicated that she was happy she was not in Megeara's hooves right now.

Megaera snarled at her sister. Even bad situations had never caused her to snap at one of her two sisters before, but she did not appreciate the scandal in her sister's voice. "I'm going to take care of it." She seethed as her wings spread, not looking forward to that impending conversation.

Wherever that flighty little bug-soquili was, she was going to find him. And she was going to make him pay.

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

I'm going to KILL him!!
Soquili Involved: Megaera, Azure and Kamiki

User Image
Megaera's wings pumped furiously as she tore into the skies with vengeance on her mind. That b*****d. That .. scrawny little BUG! How could she let him do that to her?!
Her mane and tail burned even brighter than normal as she scoured the skies, looking for the telltale flash of blue. He had to be around here somewhere. And she wouldn't rest until she found him!!

Azure was up on the mountainside, kicking through the snow to expose the little bit of grass that was left under the blanket of white. He munched lazily, shivering every few minutes, shaking the new snow flakes out of his manes and tossing them off his wings.

She had been flying for nearly an hour when finally the bright flash of blue against the stark snow caught her eye. However, Megaera's anger had not slackened in the least. If anything the burning in her muscles as she fought to stay airborne despite her added weight had just added fuel to her fury.

With a snort, and a quick decline, Megaera made a bee-line for the little flutter-stallion. Azure could feel a sudden warmpth behind his back as the mare touched down, and then a thud and a hiss as her burning hooves began to melt the snow.

"YOU!!" She bellowed.

Azure spun around mid-chew, backpeddling at the rage eminating off the mare. His sapphire eyes widened as he saw the look in her face. He opened his mouth, but her name had temporarily escaped him, leaving him just staring, jaw-slacked.

"YOU!" She repeated, this time it trailing off into more of a growl. It was very apparent right now just how much kalona blood this mare had flowing through her veins.
"You did THIS to me!!" Her tail lashed and her swollen belly was quite apparent. "You used me!" She screeched.

Azure just stuttered and shook his head flabberghasted, having no idea why she was so angry. She didn't seem like the kind of mare that would be angry that he never came to call on her again...

But them his eyes fianlly fell to her belly, the fire from her tail relecting the light off her coal fur to accentuate the swelling. The look of fear flashed across his features and his eyes dragged back up to her eyes. "Oh no..."
"Oh No is right." She seethed and strode purposefully towards him with hatred in her eyes. Megaera was aptly named, and she was about to prove it. There were times for words, and right now was not one of them.

She sprung towards him, hooves lashing out, right towards the sensitive spot on a stallion that her sisters had told her about.

Azure turned and tried to run, unfortunatly just giving Megaera better access to the objects of her disdain. A firey hoof made connection, causing the stallion to cry out in pain, joints weakening and he toppled over in the snow. He rolled on his back, futilly kicking up his hooves and pleading with her to stop

Megaera's smile turned sinister as her red-hot hoof connected with Azure's sensitive stallion-bits. It was a good kick - and from what she knew, if she hit him right, she might just ensure that he never took advantage of another mare again. However, the Fury's rage was not exactly settled with a kick. She reared, and went to strike at him again with her hooves.

Azure closed his eyes and flailed blinding, his size shrinking as he tried to make himself a harder-to-hit- target. His small legs might have blocked a few of her kicks, but there was little the small stallion could do to fight back against the vengeful mare.

A shadow passed overhead and finally a lilac mare landed, putting herself right beween Azure and Megaera. She took a few few hits squarely, then behan to push back. "Heyheyhey!" she screamed at Meg, brandishing her silver horn at the nightmare.

Megaera's attacks were mostly blind, driven by anger much more so than any sort of calculation. This was hatred and betrayal possessing the mare. As he shrunk, her blows missed, striking around him and burning through snow. She growled in anger and went to stomp.... right as the glint of silver caught her eye.

Her ears plastered back and a very Kalona snarl, exposing sharp teeth, at this new mare. "Who are you!?" She demanded. "This is not your business! Stay away!"

User Image "Kamiki!" Azure screamed, scrambling to his feet and taking his place behind the mare.

Kamiki kept her horn poised, taking a defensive stance. "Just calm down," she said, "Azure's my friend, why are you trying to kill him?"

"Your FRIEND?!" She belted, glaring firey daggers at the little flutter hiding behind the alicorn mare. "You friend leaves a mare to stand up for him?" She snorted. "Your "Friend" tricks me, and now leaves me... leaves me like THIS!?" She lifted a hoof, gesturing awkwardly towards her belly.

Kamiki lifted her head, tossing her mane out of her eyes. "He's a helpless little flutter, you have to appreciate the benefit of a fair fight young lady." Kamiki looked at Meg's belly and narrowed her eyes. "Azure!"

She whipped her head around the cowering stallion.

"I didn't mean to!"

"You're last children have barely reached maturity! You certainly don't waste any time!"

Azure winced and risked a glance back up at Meg.

Kamiki's expression softened at the mare. "Azure didn't know, he'll help you..."

It was probably good for the pair that Megaera wasn't the sharpest of her sisters, nor was she exactly in her 'thinking mode' - or else she might have noticed the traits between the stallion and mare and their similarities between her step-sister, Arcana.

"Didn't know?! This bug has been a father before and he didn't know what he was doing?! And how do you propose that he is going to help me now!? I've had about enough of his "Help!"

Kamiki glared at Azure again, knowing Megaera had a point. "He must have not known that you didn't know what you were doing either." She arched an eyebrow and looked her over. "We can help you if you're not ready."

Azure squeaked, "We can?" But any more commentary was cut off by a warning glance from Kamiki

"I am not so certain about that." She seethed. But the mare did have a point in that she had problems that she couldn't exactly handle on her own.

"What help can you offer." She spoke carefully.

"Well, I've been a mother before, if you have anyquestions. I know a good shaman who can help with the birth." She looked between Meg and Azure and tossed her mane again. "And Azure would be happy to take a basket or two if you're not ready to be a full time mother."

Megaera's anger was visably receeding, but she still looked far from happy. Her ears stayed pinned back and her eyes remained fixed on Azure promising more injury if he even thought about approaching her again.

"No. I'm not ready to raise foals full time. I..." She paused, surprised she was saying it. "I don't want to give them all up though."

"Of course," Kamiki nodded and took a step closer. "Azure will help you with any you need. And you can see them whenever you want."

She looked back to Azure again and sighed. "Do you want to stay with out herd for now? Or do you have a herd of your own?"

"I don't want Azure to show his face around me or my herd again." She snapped. "You..... you can come for them." Her tail swished again and she looked over her handiwork in teh forms of burns and bruises over the little flutter. Good. It felt good to take her anger out on the responsible party.

Kamiki frowned and nodded, knowing she should be happy she wasn't bent on killing Azure still. "Fine, where can I find you?"

"We're a ways down the mountain. Between the graveyard and the teepee of the white-haired man." She leveled a last glare at Azure. "And if HE shows his face down there, it will be more than his stallionhood that I will take from him."

User Image Azure narrowed his eyes angrily at her but didn't say anything. Kamiki took a procautionary step between them again. "Fine, I'll come for you...." she looked over the mare again. "Soon."

"Good." Megaera repsonded. She was not a mare of many words. She knew her time would be soon. She knew it would be painful. She wanted to be home again. Not on this frosty mountin top.

So, she spred her wings again, gave one last look back, and took to the skies again.

Reserved  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Children of the Night
RP with Taraxippus and Izusa .
Taraxippus returns to Izusa's lair, to find her pregnant. They remain together until after the strenuous birth of their three children.

User Image

RP can be read here

The Arrival of Psyche
Soquili of mine involved: Taraxippus, Arcana, Anju, Megaera, Psyche

User ImageMegaera had been in a sour mood ever since she had found out about her pregnancy. Even her confrontation with the father, while it had taken a bit of the edge off of her temper, had never exactly put her in good spirits. She continued to gain weight, and even little things set her anger off.

Taraxippus, during her pregnancy, with the exception of one hunt that took him longer than normal where he returned with a smile but no food to share, had been quite kind towards her. He brought her food when she didn't feel up to hunting. He would encourage her that the foal she kept would find a good home in their little herd. However, he seemed slightly disappointed that she only intended on keeping one of them, but eventually consented to understanding. She WAS a young mother, after all. Megaera never noticed any subtext to his kindness. In her mind, he had always been a wonderful big brother. Even though, to Taraxippus, most of the kindness he showed was only to place himself in a position where Megaera felt dependent on him. He knew that she wasn't as intelligent as most other soquili, and was more than willing to step in and help her figure things out.

Her sisters were of course also often about, and they understood her better than even her adopted family. It was strange, to be the one of them that would wind up a mother first. And it was not exactly something that she had planned. And at least at this point, she would certainly have done things differently if she knew how it was going to end up.

User ImageAnju was distant as usual. He would often come and go. It had taken some nerve to confront him and tell him that she was pregnant. However, his reaction wasn't quite as anticipated. It was a strange look in his six eyes. A pointed look at her swollen belly, and then an inquiry about the stallion. Only when she told him about the blue-winged bug soquili did he get a look of distaste, and shot a furtive glance towards his daughter, Arcana. She had herd him mutter something about hoping that the mother's blood ran strong, and then he had wandered off again for a while.

Sabin was, as usual, enthusiastic. Along with Taraxippus, he looked after her, grooming her and bringing her things that were easier for him to procure than Taraxippus: pitchers of clear, cold water, and of course, when it came time for her to birth her foals, he fetched the shaman, Kamiki.

That was an experience that she would have loved to forget. It was hours of pain. No one had told her about THAT part of pregnancy. Taraxippus paced nervously nearby. Anju was strategically absent. And arcana watched on with wide eyes. At the end of the grueling process, she was left with THREE tiny foals. It was difficult to make out features on the tiny, almost colorless creatures before the shaman expertly sealed them into their protective baskets. Over the next couple days, as she lay recovering, the baskets began to develop vivid colors. It was a strange, fascinating process.

It was around then that the violet alicorn arrived as promised. There was a brief conversation. And Megaera was surprised - after how much pain that they had caused her - at her attachment. When she had first spoken with the mare, she had almost wanted to tell her to just take them all away from her and leave her as she had been before. But now, even not knowing what she was doing... she wanted one. It was hers... it would be her daughter. She knew it. Something about the middle child spoke to her - the one whose basket had taken on a brilliant blue. At first it had reminded her almost too much of the flashing blue of Azure's wings.... but something about it... So with her blessing, the mare took away with her the two darker baskets, and left her the promise that she could visit them as often as she liked. That they would not live very far away.

User ImageDays stretched into weeks, and Megaera often found herself lying by the colorful basket. She could feel life inside. She warmed it with her firey body. She actually felt like a mother.

Even Anju would come by from time to time, sniff at the basket, and smile to her. It was so uncommon that the shadowy creature showed any kind of overt affection or parted a kind word that she took these treasures for what they were.

Then, at one point, after another extended absence, Taraxippus returned with a surprise: a basket of his own! What followed was a lengthy conversation - Anju was obviously surprised, and Taraxippus proud. He spoke of a metallic kalona mare, a fierce huntress and truly a powerful creature. He spoke of currying her favor, and her company. The basket was odd - like Taraxippus. Like Anju. Almost like it wasn't there at all. But Anju beamed a toothy grin, and Taraxippus was bursting with pride. Their herd was growing. She and Taraxippus spent even more time together, then. They had things to talk about. Taraxippus spoke occasionally of the future - of Great Things. A lot of it Megaera didn't follow, but she did understand that Taraxippus was her big brother, and was looking out for her and her daughter. That their children would grow up alongside each other. That they would all be herdmates.

User ImageThen, one day... it happened. The basket was positively bursting with life, and there was movement inside! Megaera found herself fixated on the preceedings. Taraxippus, Anju, and even Arcana drew around as slowly, the basket began to bulge. There was a kick.... and then - something sharp protruded through the slats... and finally, a filly as bright blue as the basket tumbled out onto the ground. She was... perfect. Megaera swelled with pride. This was her daughter! It was an uncanny connection. She knew it was hers. Even if she had never cared for the basket. Even if she had met her after never seeing her before she would know that she was hers.

Megaera was surprised to see two horns jutting from the filly's forehead - like her sister Alecto's - and something that must have come from her real father. A soft blue-white mane and tail and cloven hooves framed the little girl. And then, two rolled up protrusions on the filly's shoulders then unfurled into... buttefly wings. But - they were odd. Strangely shaped, and bearing a few vestigial feathers like Megaera's at the base... and then, a moment later, they began to burn a cool blue. She leaned down to nuzzle her, nickering softly. Suddenly, the anger at Azure was truly gone. She hated him for what he had done to her - for tricking her. But for this.... she almost wanted to thank him.

She didn't see the amber eyes of Taraxippus light up in surprise and approval at the new arrival. At the calculating smile as he looked her over before returning to his basket with a swish of his leonine tail.

She didn't see Anju's critical look as soon as the butterfly wings unfurled. She didn't see the skepticism and distaste dissipate as soon as the wings caught fire, replaced with a margin of acceptance. And she didn't hear his comment, "It's like an improved Arcana" before he wandered off with a bemused snort.

User ImageAnd she didn't see the weight of the world crash down on Arcana. Arcana DID hear Anju's comment, left with so much disinterest in Arcana's feelings that he didn't even bother to wait until she was out of hearing range. Arcana had put up with so much from Anju. So many cold shoulders or scathing criticism. She wanted so desperately for him to love her like he loved her brother. When Anju had adopted Megaera and Alecto, even those adopted daughters earned more favor in the six eyes of her father than she - his real daughter! And then, the approval as Taraxippus and Megaera in turn bore foals themselves. But this, this approval of a soquili so similar, and yet dissimilar at once. His outright proclamation of a nagging worry that had already been in the back of her mind. It was too much. She choked on the lump in her throat and spun quickly.

No one noticed as Arcana fled from the homeground of their herd for the first time, tears streaming from her eyes.  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Aftermath
Balrog and Stormwild deal with the aftermath of Anemone

User ImageAnd just like that, it seemed, Anemone was gone. Balrog felt jarred. He had met her, she had been exactly what he felt like he needed at the point - a sympathtic mind, a spirited hatred as strong ase his own (if not stronger) towards those lesser races of soquili. One who would not tolerate the thought of mixing blood, or toleratin them in a hed. He had been so angy, so frustrated at Stormwild... and then when he returned,he felt uneasy - the decisions she had come to behind his back. Then Anemone had come to the herd - and while Balrog had anticipated the bad blood, he had not anticipated that she would leave, so suddenly after birthing her foals - before she could even enjoy the safety that their herdlands could offer a new mother with foals too small to fly yet. She had never even come face to face with stormwild and she had taken off as soon as she was able to fly again. Despite the bad blood... she would have made a fine addition to their herd - she had fine bloodlines.... andn they had birthed three foals - three foals that would have made a strong new generation. And two of whom would likely never join their ranks.

He looked down at the basket that smoldered with the fireyness of his own hide. The only evidence that she had ever been there. Of their tryst. Was she even as strong as he had visualized her? If she had taken flight at the conflict when there was such promise for their herd in the future. Balrog often thought for the strength of the herd instead of the individual. Then again, for the strength of the herd... perhaps they also needed to be of one mind. Well.... perhaps this was like the sacifice that Stormwild felt she had made when Sequoyah and the other weak ones had left. He nuzzled the basket thoughtfully.

Stormwild walked through the lonely woods of her land, having just set down from a flight high in the piercing winds. Despite Belle and Zhuri’s new foals that bounded around the herdlands, her melancholy had kept her avoiding the main herdlands as much as possible. The lack of Xandir and Sequoyah still hit her pretty hard, and she was in no mental state to run into Balrog or his little hussy. But her wings ached and her stomach growled, and nothing offered more comfort and food than the rich mountain trees of the main lands. She snuffled around the snow looking for grass as she broke the thicket line and came directly upon Balrog and one of the baskets. Her surprise was obvious, her sheepish expression quickly replaced by apprehension as she looked around, expecting Anemone to be close by.

Indeed, there was no sign of the grey mare. Even her scent seemed faint on the clearing.

Balrog tuned, ears pinning back momentarily as he saw Stormwild. His tensed muscles slowly relaxed and he heaved a sigh. Well, SHE would be happy...

"She's gone." Balrog answered her unasked question, with more than a hint of annoyance. Then, he looked over at her, scrutinizing.

Stormwild visibly relaxed, but her ears lowered in concern. “Gone?” she asked smally, eyes lingering on the basket for a moment before their pity-like gaze reached Balrog again. She looked quickly looked over the thicket again as she waited for him to elaborate, searching for the other baskets. Surely she gave birth to more than 1 foal, she was virtually exploding when she went into labour.

Balrog nodded, then, as if realizing the possible double meaning of the context, he clarified. "Well... the birthing went smoothly enough. But then, almost as soon as she had her strength again, she left. She.... thought it most tactful." He said, again, the regret evident.

Again, he heaved a sigh and looked over towards Stormwild. Funny, back when he had first met the spirited mare, he would have never pictured them being so attached. It had started with a fascination - another winged mare - and the only other one he had ever seen before - and it had been a tet a tet from the very first. Yet he had grown to love the fact she could stand her own against her arguments. He wasn't used to a mare leaving in the face of a conflict.

"She wasn't like you." He said, simply, leaving much to intrepretation.

User Image Stormwild looked a bit stunned, awkward and not knowing what to say. On one hoof, she felt incredibly sorry for Balrog, as it was obviously affecting him. She remembered all too acutely the pain she felt when her first mate had left for the valley, taking two of her baskets with him. But on the other… a little bit of pride. That kind of ‘I told you so’ feeling, even though she wouldn’t have the heart in a million years to say it out loud. Anemone had failed him…and while they had had hard times, she was still here.

She kept silent for now, worried she was trotting across thin ice, not wanting to lie and say she was sorry Anemone was gone, but also not wanting to rub anything in the stallion’s face. She paced over slowly, cautiously, her eyes dropping down to the basket that lay at his hooves. She leaned down and sniffed it thoughtfully, taking in the scent. Wicker, magic, newness, blood, the heady scent of Balrog and the lingering spice of the departed mare. “It’s beautiful,” she said gently, watching his expression.

Balrog was standing, rigid, and obviously tense as Stormwild pondered the news. He half expected her to come back with the well-earned "I told you so" as well. He felt vulnerable, he had made a bad decision. But... at least he had something to show for it. He was looking down at the basket again when he heard Stormwild's voice drift to him.

He lifted his head, meeting hers. His eyes narrowed, focusing, trying to judge if there was any hint of sarcasm in the compliment. Finding none, he seemed to relax. He seemed more defeated. "Thank you." He rumbled.

He opened his mouth again, about to say something about the nature of the decision he had made before chomping it back closed. Even down, even defeated, Balrog would not breach such an apology. However, everything about his posture, about the reluctance of even the most simple words seemed to convey his emotions.

Stormwild was very aware of his emotions boiling under the surface. Perhaps he was not the best with words, and she knew he didn't like displaying any emotions that could be interpreted as weak. Stormwild gave a light sigh, accepting the situation for what it was. Anemone was gone, and while Storm was happier for it, she felt bad for Balrog's sake. There was definately a reason Sequoyah left, because he had seen something between the two of them that perhaps she even was relunctant to admit. She looked down upon the basket again, and it was as if a cleansing cool breeze and swept over the thicket, taking the last traces of Anemone with it. She stepped closer still, brushing her shoulder against his and gently lifting her head, nuzzlng the neck behind his ear affectionately.

Balrog said nothing, leaning into her affections. She was there for him, despite it all. She was reassuring and comforting, and Balrog accepted it from her. For a time, he just leaned there, taking her support. It was... nice. They had their herd still, he had this basket... and he had her.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Balrog straightened and rustled his wings. Then, quietly, almost imperceptably, Balrog repeated "Thank you", but... it was in reference to a completely different thing, and barely audible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm
Deal with the Devil
RP with Dyson and Arcana

User Image Arcana didn't know where she was going, only that she wanted to get away. She could hardly see more than a blurry landscape through the salty tears that filled her eyes. Her butterfly wings flitted through the chill February air; the high altitude only made the temperature worse, but she didn't care. If anything, it reminded her that she was still there, that her discomfort was real, and that at least was something.

Eventually, her muscles began to cramp. She knew better than to fly in such cold weather without first giving her wings a warmup, but she didn't care about that right now either. She was exhausted and she didn't know where she was. Good.

Slowly, she settled down on a clear patch of snow near the shores of an icy lake. Hanging her head and breathing out puffs of steamy breath, eventually her thoughts caught up to her again. No matter how far or fast she flew, she couldn't escape them.

She didn't understand what she had done wrong. It wasn't fair. How could her father love her adopted sister more than she? Her adopted sister's daughter more. And even Taraxippus, who always had their father's eye had just done him proud again. She had tried. She had tried to hunt with her brother, or for her own food, but it never felt quite right. She didn't like the taste of meat. She liked the sweet delicate grasses. But every time she ate that, her father gave her this disparaging look. The meat sometimes made her stomach turn. She really was a disappointment.

Dyson’s heavy form trod over the thawing ground, his misshapen hooves plowing up dirt as he went. He was hungry, the game was scarce, and even the grass hasn’t gotten its spring vitality back. The ground was sodden and cold from melting snow, all vegetation was a sickly shade of yellow or brown, and the rabbits and squirrels were all tucked away in their burrows somewhere. On top of it all, he was bored. And he was loving every minute of it.

Though his new place wasn’t perfect, and his meals were a bit lean, he loved being here. He towered over most of the other Soquili, with rippling muscles and deadly spurs and horns. He could be a God here if he tried. But see…that was the beauty of it. He didn’t have to try. He didn’t have to worry about power struggles or swindles. He could just relax, bide his time until spring, and learn to take anything he wanted, with no strings attached. That was true kingdom… that was true freedom.

As he half-heartedly clawed at the hollow stump of a tree hoping to stir a sleeping chipmunk or quail, a flurry of color caught his eyes. A small, delicate fluttercorn landed not too far away, obviously distressed. Dyson shrugged and continued to rut around in the trunk, but the nagging in the back of his mind got the better of him. It was in his nature after all… and besides… playing with just one simpleton fluttercorn was a far cry from an intricate web of deceit and politics.

He turned and headed in her direction, looking casual. The snow was thicker here, causing a satisfying crunch sound under his hooves. He wandered into her field of vision, not making eye contact, taking more attention to the lake as if looking for a spot to drink, watching the flutter out of the corner of his eye.

Arcana started as she suddenly realized that she wasn't as along as she thought she was. There was another soquili here, and she began to wonder how she had overlooked him, despite her distress. Despite his mostly natural coloration, he was absolutely massive, carrying with him a foreboding presence. She could see his rippling muscles through his short fur even as he casually walked up to the lake.

However, for as menacing as he looked, Arcana didn't run. She didn't even look particularly frightened of suddenly finding herself sharing a clearing with a Kalona. Surprised, certainly, and more than a little intimidated by his size, but not his demonic blend of features. Bitterly, she thought to herself that here was another soquili that her father would probably prefer in his herd over her, but she tried to quell it. This was obviously an independent stallion.

She took a long, shaking breath, trying to clear her eyes of the tears. Then, with a waver to her voice that she couldn't suppress, she called out a nervous "H...hello?"

Dyson had just manage to break through the thinning ice by the shore with his sharp hooves when he heard the voice of the fluttercorn. He raised an eyebrow curiously, unable to hide a bit of surprise that the little mare had spoken to him first. He lowered his head and took a few pulls of the frigid water before lifting his head again and making eye contact with the mare. “Hello,” he said, his tone neutral enough but his voice was deep and rumbling from his massive chest. He continued to look at her expectantly with burning eyes.

Arcana's voice caught in her throat now. She had his attention, now what? She heaved another self-depreciating sigh and rustled her tail. Suddenly, despite being near this powerful stallion, she felt very alone, and very small. She'd never been this far from home before. She'd never taken this step, despite the cold shoulder that she got from her father and the derision from her brother. She knew there were other soquili out there - but she had never gotten the courage to leave her home and everything she knew.

But right now, all in all, Arcana felt desperate for company. Someone different, and some consolation. So she put one hoof in front of the other and walked slowly over to the kalona. "I... hope I'm not being a bother." She said looking down at the icy lake. That's all she seemed to be recently. Silly little Arcana. Now there was an "improved" version of herself at the herdlands even. "I just... well... I don't even know." She snorted and shook her head. Here she was bothering strangers now, even. Her father would probably be even more disappointed in her. He had always said that first impressions were vital - to be intimidating. This stallion certainly seemed to have that down, and he had barely said a word. She had never been good at that, though, and she didn't even really like it. Not to mention that the idea of scaring such a huge stallion was laughable.

“Not yet,” he rumbled back, with a just enough of a smirk to display a long, curved fang tucked under his lip. Perhaps this could be an interesting quarry to hunt, she seemed enough an enigma just from first impressions. He had never come across a horned flutter before, but flutters he had and in his experience they were nothing but vapid with an embarrassingly slow startle point. Obviously this mare was approaching him instead of fleeing, which meant she was either intriguing, or completely daft. Good thing he wasn’t a skinwalker, or she would be dead already. A rumble in his stomach made for a moment of temptation himself.

He stepped back from his place, giving an almost imperceptible nod towards the water, inviting her to take a drink. “Was there something you needed?”

Well, she wasn't bothering him at least. She gave him a small, sheepish smile. "Thank you." She murmured. Now closer, it was obvious that her eyes were bloodshot from crying, and her muscles looked fatigued, many of them twitching from over exertion. She bent down and sipped at the cold water from where he had broken through the ice. After several long pulls, she lifted her head back up to look him over more closely.

She gave a small shrug at his inquiry. She was being stupid again, but right now, she didn't care. He had asked, he seemed niec enough, and concerned about her problems. That was... different. Her smile turned a little more genuine, but she wasn't used to such attention. "I'm just... I know it's not your problem or anything... and my father would be so disappointed in me for just talking like this with another soquili... not that that is anything new." Her lip quivered. "I'm such a disappointment to him. To all my family." She couldn't quite get herself to look the stallion in the eyes. "I'm so odd! I'm not scary at all like Dad or Tara... or even my stepsisters. I'm bad at hunting - I don't like killing animals - and I don't even like rabbit!" It seemed like once she opened her mouth it all just spilled out in some unstoppable turrent of words. "And ... and... he always is just so dissappointed in me. He even loves my stepsisters more than me! And now Taraxippus has a basket and Dad was so proud... and even Megaera had foals - and and and even SHE is better than me. He even SAID so!" The tears started to come again, and finally the words trickled to a series of sniffles. "I'm sorry.." Her ears flattened to the sides and she swallowed at the lump in her throat. "I know.... I know you probably don't care."

User Image Dyson raised a cautious eyebrow. "Your father finds it surprising you don't like rabit?" He snorted as if he was amused. As she continued, he listened carefully, picking up clues as to what she was talking about. "Sounds your father has very high expectations for his lineage. Why was there a little flutter like you in there in the first place?"

"Wh... what are you talking about?" She asked, brows knitting together in an almost cute frustration. "I... well... I never knew my mother." She responded hesitantly. "But.... he always did seem disappointed about my bug-wings." She said, usin the only term that her family used. This 'flutter' word that the kalona used, however, sounded a little better in her ears.

"If one choses to lay with a flutter then it seems odd that he would be dissapointed in the outcome. Perhaps your father does not want to admit to a weak moment of passion with a siren such as your mother? "

Arcana shrugged with a bit of a scowl. Anju never did talk about her and Taraxippus's mother. Even when she had askied once, Anju had just given her a baleful look and a snort, saying that it was inconsequential.

"Maybe." She responded quietly. "My brother.. well.. he doesn't have wings like me. Just the horn. He looks a lot more like dad."

"He's probably more dissapointed in himself than in you." He paused to drink again. "Besides, everyone knows flutters can't eat flesh."

She cocked her head with a puzzled expression. "What do you mean? I've eated rabbit before...." She made a bit of a disgusted face, then, whispered conspiratorily, "I just don't like it. My family thinks I'm weird and weak for nibbling the grasses and clover."
Dyson tossed his mane. "Perhaps your father's blood helps you digest it then. But you obviously don't like it. Its not healthy for one to go againt its nature." He shrugged nonchalantly. "Why have you failed in his eyes so much?"
Samantha Blaire direct connection is closed.

"Maybe." She responded. She didn't mention that her belly often ached after she ate more than a few mouthfulls of it. "Well... I'm not very good at hunting... or scaring other Soquili. Or much of anything really." She sighed. "He says my wings are silly looking, and that I should be more like my brother. Even Megaera - one of the foals that he adopted - she's got wings kinda like yours - she had foals and one of them looked a little like me - blue with the bug-wings... but ... but he said that even she's better than me. She's got horns kinda like yours and is kind of firey like her mom. I just... I just don't fit in." She sighed. "But they're family."

Dyson shook his head. "Sounds like an off family. I've never seen a flutter try to be scarey. You say your adpoted sister is a flutter with horns? How strange. Obviously your father doesn't suscribe to the theory that bloodlines should be reamin pure."

He lazily pawed at the snow. "What could you do to make him proud? You can't very well... remove your wings or anything." He paused as if comptemplating. "Well, you could try. I imagine it wouldn't be pretty."

Arcana's eyes widened "Remove my wings?" The breath caught in her throat and she tossed her head with a whinny.

"I don't think that would help." She edged as her wings flittered. "At least with my wings I can fly." She responded.

"Fly obviously doesn't impress him much." Dyson flexed his wings as he looked down on her, the muscles in his shouldern't gleaming in the sunlight.

Arcana's eyes lingered on Dyson's powerful bat-like wings, rippling with muscles. Her ears drooped. She felt very small again, especially so close to this massive stallion.

"I guess not.."

"You could take down a nice kill." He looked her over again. "Somehow."

Her insides squirmed at the thought. Not only did she not care for the taste of it - which she was sure she'd be expected to partake in - but she felt bad about killing animals. Their fear-striken look, the screams. Taraxippus and her father seemed to delight in it. Not to mention she WAS bad at hunting.

Her expression spoke volumes to just what she thought about that idea. "Maybe." She said quietly.

"You don't look like you've ever had a problem like this."
"Not exactly," he answered, surprisingly quickly.

But then he called and lifted his nose to the wind, sniffing. "You could always... emply someone to take a kill, and let you have the credit."
Her tail swished and she looked cautiously up to the big kalona. "Employ?" She queried. "But... I don't exactly have much to offer..."

Dyson nodded sagely. "Payment is obviously required. Nothing is for free after all." He stepped closer to her, letting his haunches get close enough to brush lightly against her flank. "I smell a small family of deer nearby. Healthy ones...big ones. Obviously have been through several winters. They are probably in the thicket over there," he nodded off towards the trees across the lake.

"Deer would be so delicious after a lean winter. I'm getting rather sick of rabbits and quail myself."

Arcana somehow managed to feel even smaller. Even if he were to kill a deer for her... how would she get it all the way back home? And what sort of payment exactly was he implying? She looked down at the silvery bracelets that circled her front hooves. They were really the only things that she owned. Her eyes strayed back up to the stallion's face. she could hear his powerful lungs with each breath, the steam that hit the air as he exhaled into the wintery air.

"Well... I mean... I am sure that he'd be surprised if I managed to brin one of those home... "

He gave a nod, his wings flapping as if itching to take off. He looked back down at her expectantly, letting his eyes linger over her small frame. "'I'm sure he'd be impressed. Sneaking up a sleep dear and slitting its throat with your hooves... no easy talk in the middle of winter."

Her eyes widened at the task. A large deer was nearly as big as Arcana was. Her frame was always slight, especially compared to the others in her herd. She looked down at her dainty cloven hooves, pristine and silvery. She was feeling less and less comfortable with this.

"No... that is no easy task..."

Dyson sensed her hesitation and rolled his shoulders, turning to head the other way. "Perhaps you're right... too unbelievable for you."

Her ears pressed back, her lips pressin tightly against each other. Even this stranger thought her weak! Well... maybe she deserved. it. The lips quivered and she fought back more tears.

"I don't know what to do!" She exasperated, voice quivering.

Dyson looked back over her shoulder. "What makes him proud besides the hunt?" he asked, turning away and taking a few steps further. "Didn't you say you liked your stepsister? The special flutter with..."

He paused for a second, hiding the smile that played on his face. "Horns like mine, didn't you say?"
Arcana nodded. "Yes" She sniffed. "She said she was... she was an "improved" version of me. And with Megaera and Taraxippus bringing home baskets to make him proud.... it's just made things even worse. "

Dyson turned back to her with his eyebrows raised again, nodding and her expectantly, seeing if she could connect the dots.

She shied back a little at the domineering presence. Arcana was quite nieve, but implications were beginign to sink in, and she was feelin distinctly uncomfortable. "I... uhm... what... what exactly are you implying?"

"I'm just trying to help," he countered, circling slowly around her. "How deseprate are you to make your father love you, little Bug?"

Her eyes were glued to the snowy ground. She felt so alone. She wanted so badly for her father to love her like her brother. Her shoulders quivered. "Is it so much to ask for him to pay attention to me...?""

"Obviously he wants something worth paying attention to. Do you think merely existing entitles you to anything? Only the strongest survive, you know. Perhaps he thinks this is a lesson you have not learned, and therefore do not get the advantages of."

Dyson's words seemed to ring true in her ears, but they did nothing to better her spirits. If anything, she just felt a greater weight pressing down on her shoulders.
"You're right." She whispered dejectedly.

"So its in your hands whether or not you want to do anything about it, eh?"

"I do!" She raised her head again, with protest. "Of course I do!" She steeled herself.

"Do you?" He towered close to her. "Seems to me you're mostly just talking about it."

"Of... of course I'm not." her voice faltered and she stepped up to him again, raising her head high. "I want to make him proud of me. I want him to pay attention to me!"

Dyson lowered his head so he was looking her eye to eye. "Then do something about it. Don't talk about doing it, but do it. He would not be impressed by this indecision. I think." He raised his head back up and shrugged. "But perhaps I am wrong, little Bug."

She swallowed and kept her head even with his. She knew deep in her chest what he was waiting to hear. It made her feel squirmy and uneasy, but he was right. Her father wouldn't respect that either. If she wanted to make him proud, earn his respect... then she needed to suck it up. How bad could it be anyway? She'd muscled through plenty of uncomfortable things before for her family.

"I.. I should make him proud... with baskets of my own...?" She ventured. "Something to make him proud..?"

A smile spread across Dyon's face, revealing his fangs again. "Now you're thinking. And you don't even have to fake it like with the deer, my dear."

Arcana nodded with a suppressed gulp. She really felt like she was falling in over her head... but really, he was right. What other choice did she have? He was helping her... she just needed to think of it like that...

Dyson gave her an aproving nod, and turned towards the thickets, trodding heavily over the ground, and looking back over her shoulder to see if the flutter was following.

After only a moment's hesitation, Arcana followed in Dyson's heavy footsteps towards the clearing, mentally preparing herself for what was to come.  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm
Birth of Madness
How Ambrose became a Skinwalker - a fateful journey, a dread encounter, and a twisted spirit journey

User Image The air was cold and crisp that night, and even a week into the journey, Ambrose's heart was beating in his ears. He had done it - he had made the break away from the men whom he had known for nearly all of his life. He was here with her - the spunky mare who had opened his eyes to to possibilities that had always dwelled just outside of his encapsulated world that he had always been afraid to look upon... let alone consider before.

It had taken a feat of will of the stallion, and still the guilt lingered with him. He had sworn an oath to himself, to loyally serve alongside his human - in peace and in war. He had come to respect the man, he was as steadfast as he in the face of battle, and always remained true to the king and the nation. However.... things had seemed to change when they reached this new world in both of them. It was subtle at first - Ambrose felt that "call of the wild" that he had always been so derisive of before. Certainly, there had been impulses, whims that he had suppressed in the past. But never before he saw the endless plains of this New World did he feel the tugging at his very soul. The men... they did not view it as such. They looked out at the plains with fear, and greed. They were as useless as children with only the meager supplies they had brought with them. All of them were wrested from their lives of comfort - from protection from the elements, from fine foods. And the men began to break. Many did not last as the weather turned bitter. And he and the other steeds were second priority even to the mens' comfort. They warred with the natives - hardly giving negotiation a chance. These same men who fought for the rights of even the poor in France. Here, they saw the natives as Others. As Savages. And... Ambrose was guilty himself of such first derisive impressions. The wild horses here, they were barbaric, he thought. Scared of the elegant steends that came from Europe, in their tack and barding. But it was during some exploratory missions that he began to realize that, in at least one case.... Ambrose had misjudged.

Angelina. His heart still flitted when he even thought her name. The small mare spotted like some jungle cat with exotic colors in her mane and tail the likes he had never seen before in a horse. The mischievous sparkle in her eyes, the way she had with words and getting him all mixed up and yet - seeing things more clearly than he ever had before. She showed him the way that his people subjugated hers - breaking them of their spirits against their will... Ambrose felt sick to his stomach the day he realized that. And he knew, that as they grew closer against the approval of both of their worlds, that leaving together was the only option.

And he had done it! He had broken free - with her by his side, matching his hoofbeats that fateful night. He had never felt more exhilarated. And it had still not faded. The lands to the south, she said, were warmer, welcoming, and had a place for them to live together. It seemed to be the proverbial eden.

And now, a week later, Ambrose still had a hard time sleeping. He smiled as his eyes grazed over her slight form, made even more beautiful by the light of the full moon. He had something to protect that really mattered to HIM. Perhaps it was because he was a soldier, perhaps it was because he coudln't bear the thought of a predator hurting his sweet Angelina. Perhaps it was the insomnia derived from pure joy, but Ambrose's ears turned suddenly at the sound of leaves crunching in the distance. Slowly and deliberately. Ears pressing back, Ambrose carefully moved away from her, so as to not wake her, and went to investigate. If there was a predator about, he did not want any harm to come to her.

Indeed there was a predator. Lurking in the shadows, a lone wolf waited. The scurry in the walk gave Ambrose's trained ears a clue: the creature was limping. The leaves to his right shook in the night, a light growl floated on the breeze. As Ambrose got closer, the growl became more threatening, a deep rumble.

Ambrose did not hesitate in his guard when he saw the low shape stalking the area. A lone wolf should have have been no match for a stallion of his prowess, but he did not feel safe with it in the area. He stomped his hooves as he got closer, hoping to scare the beast away....

And yet, Ambrose's posing and posturing didn't seem to intimidate the wounded wolf, if anything, it seemed to goad the beast to attack. With a ferver deriven from madness, the wolf pounced, sinking his teeth deep into Ambrose's shoulder.

Surprise. Rationalization - it must be starving. Or a wounded, frightened animal that felt cornered. It flashed in his mind momentarily before the searing pain, then... instinct kicked in. He drove his hooves into the side of the beast, braying a fearless challenge. His shoulder cried in pain, but Ambrose suppressed the pain - he could deal with it later. And yet, for all of Ambrose's training, something about this bite was different. There was a stinging in the wound that made it difficult to ignore.

With an uncharacteristic desperation and emotion behind his blows, Ambrose drove his hooves into the attacker, trying to dislodge it.

The wolf was easily kicked off, flying off and landing hard with a yelp. It could barely get up; struggling to get to his feet as Ambrose recovered. But it was just moments later that Ambrose felt...strange. A dizzying, nauseating sensation making him weak on his feet. Black spots clouded his vision, the blood draining from his head. The last thing he saw before he passed out, was the wolf... grinning.

It was like waking up from a long sleep. Groggy and disoriented, Ambrose awoke to find himself in a field. Barron for miles, and covered in snow.

Everything felt distant to Ambrose, as if his head was trapped in a box. The sound reverberated oddly in his ears and his movements felt sluggish. Getting to his feet was a trial. His muscles were sore, aching, and felt half dead. But the thing that was not miles away was the pain, the cold. It seemed to sink its teeth into his muscles, sapping away more of his strength.

He didn't know where he was going, but he knew he couldn't just stay there and freeze. Foot by foot, he plodded. He didn't know where he was, or where he was going. But he was alone... where was Angelina? What was going on? How long had it been? How long had it been since he had even started to walk? Nothing seemed concrete. Nothing seemed right.

It was freezing cold, icy, snowing. Cutting into his hooves and face. Out of the corner of his eye, there was a flash of color. It was a blanket... caught on a small bush, its colors flapping in the snowy wind like a flag, beckoning him.

He felt as if he would freeze solid - the icy wind digging its claws into his flesh and tearing the life from him that he was clinging so desperately to. The blanket. The colors - it seemed to be the only colors amidst the entire, vast landscape. The rest of the landscape that would make him like it - motionless. White. Dead.

He felt himself pulled to the blanket and the warmth and protection it offered. Tearing it from the branch with his teeth, he pulled it to him desperately. But as Ambrose pulled at it, the blanket jerked as if was possessed with a life of its own. It pulled away from his grasp, floating in the wind over the snowy field... floating away.

Driven, focused, Ambrose followed the blanket. The color against the snow was the only thing that Ambrose could concentrate on. Other things – his journey, the trials he had faced, even Angelina began to fade in importance at the hope of warmth that danced across the snow.

Like a creature possessed, Ambrose pursued it.

Eventually, who knew how long later, it was in his grasp. It had settled on what seemed like a lush oasis in the snow – a small patch of moist grass. It was everything right now – everything he needed – warmth, food... Ambrose's hooves landed heavily on the blanket, preventing it from flitting away again. It struggled in the wind, flitting under his hooves, but he pressed his weight onto it until the wind slowly began to die down.

Ambrose shuddered in triumph and bent to retrieve the blanket. It seemed as if it had set roots into the ground. It didn't seem to want to pry up, but with a strength from desperation it finally pulled free of the patch of earth with a wet slurp.

User ImageEagerly, Ambrose cast the blanket over himself. And somehow, the blanket was even warmer than he had hoped. It carried none of the chill of the wintry air it had been laying in, but a heat all its own that sunk into Ambrose as he wore it over his head and back. So warm, so right it felt. It seemed to sink roots down into his very flesh. It tingled and burned, but compared to the snow and ice and wind... it was more than welcome.

But in the absence of the cold, a different clawing need arose. Not from without, but from within. A ravenous hunger seemed to tear at his insides. The lush grass where the blanket had rested called to him hypnotically. Again, he bent his head and cropped at the grass. It was so moist, so rich in flavor – like nothing he had ever tasted before. Slowly at first, then with big, wet mouthfuls, Ambrose devoured the whole meal – lush grass, crunchy twigs. His hunger did not abate until every last bite was gone.

Then, finally, the cold, the hunger... everything seemed to fade. He felt a drowsy warmth overtake him until everything dissolved away into a reprieving blackness....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm
Are You Proud of me Now, Daddy?
Soquili of mine involved: Arcana, Taraxippus, Anju, Megaera, Psyche

User ImageArcana was in no hurry to return home after.... that. She was battered. She was sore, and she felt so dirty. But she had just gotten what she had asked for, right?

She didn't know how long she had wandered in a vaguely home-like direction. She was lost before she had started. She hadn't paid attention to where she was running when she had left home. Back then, she didn't care. Back then, she just wanted to put as much distance between herself and her father, hoping that with distance came alleviation of the pain that came from his harsh words and rejection.

Now, lost, Arcana felt even more rejected and hurt than before she left home and before she had found the company of the massive Kalona, Dyson. She just wanted to be home again. It was better than being out in the cold by herself, starting at every twig snap. While her home was far from perfect, at least there she had felt safe. She wanted to get back to the clear mountain river that ran close to her homegrounds and just let it wash over her...

As she wandered, ironically, her belly began to feel heavier. Bitter with the irony, she realized that she had gotten exactly what she had asked for. She was with foal. HIS foals. She wanted to be home.

Eventually, she caught the whiff of familiar scents - the particular twinge of the fir trees that grew near Sabin's teepees. The distant smells of familiar soquili. Her family.

Travel weary, her relief was muted with exhaustion, and defeat. She was back to where she had started... back with a family that didn't love her. But... maybe, just maybe, Dyson was right? Maybe she had done well in her father's six eyes.

And those six, shining eyes were exactly what greeted her as she wandered slowly back into the territory. Like a ghost, Anju seemed to materialize out from the shadows beneath the thick grove of trees at the edge of the territory. And with a bemused expression, he looked over his daughter. She had been gone for weeks, and yet there was no joyous reunion. Anju looked over her with almost a sneer, and as his eyes roved over her swollen midsection, he snorted derisively.

"So you are back." He whispered in a monotone. And for a moment, Arcana's heart fluttered. At least he had realized she was gone. That was, until he continued. "You do not even have the courage or strength to make it out there on you own, do you, Arcana? Have to run back home to daddy when you get yourself into trouble. Did some fearsome stallion have his way with you? What was he? Another bug?"

Arcana felt her eyes burning, but her voice rang out defensively. "No! No, It... It was my choice!" It... it was her choice. Really it was. "And No! He wasn't a flutter." She liked that term much better. "He was a Kalona!" She drew herself up, despite the fact she could see the mirth in his expresion.

User Image"Kalona?" Anju called out with a laugh as they wandered back towards the rest of the herd, drawing the attention of the others who were about - Alecto, Megaera, Psyche, and Taraxippus. "You. And a Kalona. I was not born yesterday, Arcana."

Arcana followed after Anju like a lost puppy, defensively. "He was! His name was Dyson - and he was the biggest Soquili I'd ever seen! He was huge, with big bat wings without feathers, long spirialed horns..."

"Stop, please." Anju cut her off with a snarl. "Your lies will be revealed in time and you will only appear more foolish. Did you think to impress me with such stories? Your desire for approval is weak, Arcana. If you were more like your brother, you would be stronger for your independence. Did you think to improve on his pairing with concocting a story of a bigger, badder kalona?" His whispery chuckle permeated the clearing as he turned his back and flicked his tail as he made to leave again for the edge of the territory.

"He was.." Arcana muttered at Anju's retreating form. "And you'll be the one to see!" She persisted.

So perhaps she didn't get the awed reception that she had envisioned. But maybe she would just need patience. After all, she WAS telling the truth. Her children would prove her story. At least she hoped.

Megaera approached with a quirked eyebrow, Psyche at her side. "That's okay, Arcana." She said with a laugh. "I don't think Father's opinion of you can lessen." She whinnied a laugh.

Arcana felt even smaller next to her adopted sister who bore the kalona wings herself and a hot, firey mane and tail. The adopted sister that had an even higher place in Anju's favor than she - his real daughter. "At least I had the sense of discretion with my mate." She sniffed, remembering the drama that had stirred when Megaera was seduced by a 'bug'. She was lucky that the basket she had kept had produced a soquili like Psyche. She was every bit as odd as her mother, but in a much different way. She was quiet, introverted, and kind of creepy.

Megaera's ears cocked back and she snapped at Arcana with her sharp teeth. "Mind you words!" She called back. Arcana had knowingly hit a nerve, and Megaera herself was never as skilled with such things. Nudging Psyche away, she turned her back with a fierce glare

Arcana breathed a sigh of relief at Megaera's retreating figure. Taraxippus's constant snide comments and confusing words were almost better than her. The intruder in the family. At least she was easy to fluster. Sighing, she settled down near the warm teepee. She almost didn't notice as her shadowy sibling, Taraxippus passed close to her, pausing to speak.

User Image"Ah, little sister, I would be careful of the situation you have found yourself." It was almost eerie how much he had become like their father. "Just becuase Father is proud of Megaera, and is proud of me" he looked pointedly to the shadowy basket that he had been keeping careful watch over, "does not mean that your indescretions will improve your favor with him. Even if what you had said is true." he left her with a toothy smile. Tara knew Arcana well enough to know her hopes. IF she was lying, she already had that burden to worry about. But if she was telling the truth, then she was hopeful. it was that possibility he wanted to dash. He turned his back, and paced back to where he had secured his basket, but savored the wibbling noises that his sister began to make.  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Ignorance and Bliss
RP withEthan, Cricket, and Tkoli

RP originally located HERE

Ethan sets out into the wide, wild world and encounters the first other soquili he's met aside from his mother, Cricket. He soon realizes that there's more to himself than he first assumed - and it's not good. He confronts the fact that he 'resembles' something called a Kalona, and the negative response from Tkoli. However, in the end, Ethan makes a friend and a traveling companion

User ImageEthan had scarcely been away from his mother and on his journey for a week when the reality of the situation began to settle on his narrow shoulders. Certainly, there was still a skip in his step and wonder in his eyes at each and every strange and unusual sight that he encountered, but it did seem to be such a large world. His head had been filled with curiousity at what lay beyond the green valley that he and his mother had made their home since he was still in his basket. On clear days, he could make out towering mountains and thick green forests. But he had never been allowed to stray very far from his mom's watchful eye. Now that he was traipsing through said thick forest, he began to realize that it was much more than just the lovely vision from a far. The ground was uneven and all the little rocks and fallen wood hurt his hooves. The underbrush was dense and scratched, and his horns would frequently hook on low branches if he wasn't paying careful mind to the way he was going. But still~! This was certainly an adventure, and all good adventures were met with hazards... right?

Still, despite the fact that he yearned to explore, and wanderlust was boiling in his blood; despite the fact that he often muttered to himself that his mother probably fussed over him or nagged him more times than he had freckles in his coat... he missed her. Of course - he would never dare utter that. He'd not been gone long at all! But still. It was a very different matter being out in the great world all by himself without even another to talk to. And that, under all his talk of adventure and seeing the world, was one of the big reasons why he had left home to begin with. His mother had said that he wasn't ready to meet others yet... maybe when he was older. Well, he was older! He was taller than she was now! ... He just apparently had not had the fortune to pick the right direction as he had yet to meet another soquili, and the rabbits weren't exactly much for conversation.

But, as Ethan was grousing to himself, he caught a twinkle of reflected light through the trees and his ears pricked at the sound of lapping water. He broke through the treeline to find a beautiful, crystalline lake. Smiling triumphantly - he was thirsty after all - he trotted forward and bent his head to drink the cool water.

Cricket hummed off-key to herself as she nosed about the lake. Springtime was her favorite time of year, and there were new flowers growing every day! Plenty to take back, to lay on the rock, and wait until they got crispy and would stay nice for a long time... or, at least, until Cricket accidentally smushed them. And the fresh ones smelled so good, and some of them tasted so good, and...

Thus occupied, her muzzle buried in the thick new grass and flowers, Cricket didn't even notice the approaching Soquili until he was right close - only a few feet away, over the bushes. She lifted her head, a bundle of clover in her mouth, and peered curiously. "Mhi!" she tried to trill around the stems, adn stepped delicately through the bushes.

Then she spotted him, and her ears went flat. She darted backwards with a squeal, spitting clover everywhere. "Augh! Fire! Foe! Invaders! Heeeelp!"

The mare ran around in a tight flaily circle, then stopped, looking at Ethan with dinner-plate wide eyes. It was fortunate that the other Soquili wasn't actually hostile; Cricket would have been a very easy snack otherwise.

Ethan had been so focused on the clean lake and refreshing drink after the long, uncomfortable trek through the woods that he had completely overlooked the fact that he actually had company until her voice called out to him.

Excitement clutched Ethan - there was another soquili here! Right here! After about a week of travel, he'd finally meet someone new! However, as he lifted his head from his first few mouthfuls of drinking to greet the mare with what he thought was a friendly smile, she began to backpedal in fear!

Ethans' eyes widened in shock, his expression not wholly unlike the strange mare's. What was going on? Did he do something wrong?

"Whoa!" Ethan called to her plaintively. "I'm sorry! Is this your lake? I didn't mean tuh... uhm... intrude!" He lowered his head and his ears adopted a practiced hangdog expression, perfected from many lectures from his mother when he succeeded in doing something wrong.

Cricket's ears flicked a little bit upward - just a hair, though she didn't come any closer to the strange Soquili. "You're not gonna eat me?" she asked, plaintively.

"Eat you?" Ethan asked incredulously with a c**k of his head and a scowl. "Why would I eat you?" He was now thoroughly confused. His mom had warned him, amongst her other justifications why he shouldn't leave home, that the world could be a dangerous place. But soquili eating each other? Was that the reason that she had wanted to raise him so far away from anything interesting?

"You're not gonna try to eat me are you?" He asked in turn with an appraising look at the dainty mare.

Cricket blinked at him, then giggled. "No, silly! Not unless you taste like clovers and grass!" She sobered quickly, though, and skittishly pranced to the side, getting a better view of this new Soquili while still maintaining a healthy distance.

"'Cause..." she said after a moment, thinking more about her words than she usually did. "'Cause you have horns an' pointy hooves and..." She tilted her head and sidled over a bit more. "Your tail's all naked and stuff. You're... you're not a Kalona?" She shied back a bit further at the word.

Nevermind that if he had been a Kalona, Cricket probably would have been food by now.

Ethan didn't think he tasted like clover and grass, although he had never exactly tried, nor really given it much thought before. He chuckled a bit, his posture relaxing as it seemed that the mare, despite startling him, was far from aggressive. Quite the opposite.

Ethan looked down at his hooves and back over at his tail. "What's wrong with my horns and hooves...? And my tail ain't naked.... It's... sleek" He waved it around. Ethan rather liked his tail. While maybe it wasn't as effective at swatting away bugs like his mom's was, it was flexible and he could wrap it around things.

At the term, he shook his head, befuddled. "Kalona? What's that?"

Cricket blinked again - she didn't know much, but here was someone who knew even less than she did! "Kalona! Y'know... um..." She paused, trying to think of a way to explain. "Big twisty horns like the ones you have... naked tails, pointy teeth, stuff like that! They're bad! They eat other Soquili!" She pinned back her ears and tossed her head. "And they're nasty and tricky and mean... um... I guess you're not mean..."

Ethan listened skeptically to Cricket as she described Kalona to him. "I've never heard anything like that before." He answered. Surely his mom would have told him if that were true.... right?

"Have you ever seen one of these 'kalona' before?" He asked. He'd heard of evil spirits before - wolves and mountain lions and other animals that could be dangerous. But a soquili eating another one? That sounded pretty silly to Ethan. Sure, not all soquili might be very nice - he could buy that - but eating? "Sounds like something someone made up to scare foals." He finished decisively.

"Yes, yes!" Cricket shivered from her nose to her tail. "It's true, all of it. I know Soquili who had herdmates and family killed by a Kalona!" She sidestepped and inched a little closer to Ethan. "I promise, they're real... and dangerous... how come you don't know about them? Where did you come from, anyway? You're asking to get eaten, with an attitude like that!" Her eyes were round with concern.

Nevermind that Cricket herself was frequently 'asking to get eaten' by her own cluelessness; this was serious business!

Ethan's conviction wavered. She certainly seemed to believe what she was talking about, even if she might be a bit removed from the incident in question. "Killed...?" He echoed nervously.

He looked down at his hooves again. What if it were true? He had left home to explore the world, see where he fit into it... and find his dad. He didn't just want to live in the valley forever with just his mom. He thought maybe if he found his dad, he could start figuring out where he belonged. But... what if his dad were like one of these Kalonas that Cricket talked about? Ethan didn't want to be mean and eat other soquili. Surely.... whoever his dad was... he wasn't like that.... right? After all, his mom wasn't eaten. Then again... she also never talked about him. He was lucky that he managed to get his name from her once when she was sleepy.

"I don't suppose you ever heard of a soquili called Dyson Graves, have ya?" He asked.

"Yeah," Cricket said, with a long, whuffling sigh. Her ears perked at the name. "No... I don't know anyone called that. Are you looking for someone? Maybe around the two-legs herd place..." For a moment, she wondered if that was the right thing to do, if she might be leading a Kalona (or part-Kalona) right to where her friends were, but she threw that idea out quickly. If nothing else, Kalona were mean, and Ethan wasn't mean at all. "I can show you, if you want. Maybe the Soquili you're looking for is there somewhere. There are so many herds around, I don't know all of them."

"Ah well." He sighed as well. "And yeah... I'm looking for my dad, actually. Though... I've never met him before. All I have to go by is his name. That's... kinda why I was looking for him."

He considered her suggestion. Around two-legs? "You think so? I've never actually seen a two-leg before. My mom said that she used to have one, though! That she rode over here across the sea to where we live now with a bunch of two-legs on this big nest-thing called a ship!"

"And wow... lots of herds? I'm from East of here... I've never seen that many other soquili before. It's been kinda lonely, actually. I never got to play with other foals."

"Wow... you are from far away!" Cricket stared, astonished. She'd heard about 'ships' and things, but she'd never met anyone who'd actually been on one! Once she'd tried to jump into one of the two-legs k'nooz, but it had broken under her hooves and she'd gone for an inadvertent swim. "Never got to play with anyone? That's so sad!"

Clearly, Ethan needed help. Cricket nodded, decisively. "Okay! I'll take you there. Wow, I'll have to show you everything about everything! Eat some clover," she added, bending to tug some of the greenery up into her own mouth, though she did it a little slowly to make sure he could see how to do it. You never did know! If he didn't know about Kalona Soquili and didn't get to play with others... what else might be missing from his education?

"Well, I never got to ride on one - my mom was already here by the time she had me. Well... not here but closer to here. About a week's worth of walking that way." He nodded in an easterly direction.

"And yeah... I mean... I played with my mom... but she wasn't as much fun. She said that there weren't a lot of other soquili around where I grew up. I think she kinda liked it that way, but it was pretty boring."

Ethan's ears pricked at the invitation. "Really? I'd love to see it!" He answered with honest enthusiasm. He was out to explore the world, after all!

He looked to where she gestured. "Mmm, thanks for spotting it - I'd had my fill of leaves from my walk through the woods. Even new spring leaves get tiring after several days of nothing else." He plunged his muzzle into the clover patch and took several enthusiastic mouthfulls.

"Nuffing bether dan new clofer" He said around a full mouth.

User ImageOh, good, he knew about clover. And how to eat. Satisfied that Ethan wasn't going to drop dead of malnutrition, Cricket chewed and swallowed another tasty green mouthful before straightening up again. "Mkay, let's go! It's over this way!" She pranced a bit into the bushes, then looked back to make sure he was following.

Swallowing his mouthful in one awkward gulp, Ethan trotted to catch up with the mare. "Okay!" He called back with a swish in his 'naked' tail. Ethan, in his enthusiasm, didn't give a shred of thought as to how this may not be the best idea in the world. Just because he wasn't exactly the definition of fierce Kalona didn't mean that Cricket's friends would be as understanding.

Cricket led Ethan happily back to her herd's favorite place, a lowland meadow near the river. The winter snowmelt flood had receded and left behind rich soil that now hosted an abundance of fresh grass and other delicious plants. "Tkoli~!" Cricket called out, ears, head, and tail held high as she pranced, proud to show off her grazing grounds. "Tkoli, I made a new friend!"

The okapi Soquili raised her head from her grazing. "Oh, you're back - find any nice cl- Cricket!!" She reared and darted to shove herself roughly between Cricket and Ethan; the younger mare stumbled back, whinnying in surprise at this sudden rough treatment. Tkoli flared her nostrils at Ethan. "Get out!"

"Tkoli!" Cricket stumbled, trying to get around the older mare and back to Ethan, but Tkoli was far less clumsy and effectively kept blocking her path. "What are you doing? He's my friend!"

"He has cursed blood," Tkoli snorted, stamping one foot on the ground and scraping up a coil of turf. "You should not associate with Kalona. One drop is enough to taint!"

"You're wrong," Cricket protested, and gave Ethan a desperate look. He was nice, wasn't he? He was her friend! What was so wrong with him?!

Ethan's eyes wandered with interest over the lush lands that Cricket called her home. Ethan wasn't looking to settle down by any means - he had just left his own home! - but seeing all these nice places, well, it was a welcome change from the woods he had been tromping through. He was just licking his lips at the tender spring blooms and had opened his mouth to compliment Cricket when the older, striped mare interjected herself between the two of them.

The grin fell off of Ethan's face faster than it had the time he had discovered cacti. His ears pressed back against his head and he backpedaled to the edge of the clearing. "Whoa! I'm sorry!" Ethan pleaded. This was different than the start he had given Cricket. This mare was hostile, scared, and seemed much sharper than the sweet - but simple - mare he had just met.

"C... Cursed?" Ethan stuttered as he looked as if he'd been kicked in the gut. "No... you have to be mis'taken..." he protested, stopping as his rear end hit a rather unyielding oak.

"You're not welcome here! Go back and slit the bellies of your own brood." Tkoli charged Ethan, then darted back to prevent Cricket from running towards him. "You can't trust him. Get back!"

"Why not? He's new! He's... we're friends, we just came this far, so he could... meet other Soquili..." Cricket's eyes were wide with distress.

User Image"A trick to reveal the location of our grazing grounds. Foolish!" Tkoli nipped at Cricket's flank; the younger mare squealed. "You've put us all in danger!"

"No..." Cricket shied and gave Ethan another desperate look. "He didn't do anything!"

"I'm not waiting until he does to run him off," Tkoli snorted, pawing angrily at the ground.

"Ethan..." Cricket looked over Tkoli's back; she wasn't tall enough to block her view of the young stallion. There was no kind of cunning or tricksiness in his eyes. Just fear! "No! I don't care, Tkoli!" She pranced to the side and tried to break past the older mare. Tkoli nipped again, but Cricket swerved and in a rapid sidestep of hooves she was through. "I don't believe it!" She reared as Tkoli charged her this time.

"Foolish!" The other mare danced back, though, uneasy about going any closer to Ethan now.

"I don't care! He's my friend! We'll... we'll find his father! We'll show you that he isn't what you think he is!" Cricket whinnied and galloped up to Ethan, stopping in front of him, her sides heaving. "We'll... show her, right? Ethan?"

Ethan couldn't find the right words to say. He wasn't even sure if there were right words to say given the circumstances.

"Hey... leave... leave her alone!" Ethan whinnied as Tkoli turned her hostilities on his friend. It wasn't fair. This was his fault, she shouldn't be getting into trouble because of him!

"I'm sorry... I'm not going to hurt you! I don't want to hurt anyone!" He whimpered.

And he really hadn't meant to cause a conflict between what he could only assume were herdmates. "Cricket... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." The words were just tumbling from his mouth. "I don't want to get you in trouble, too! You... you don't need trouble like me." he sniffed self-depreciatingly. What she had said earlier had been the truth. He did look like one of these monsters. Maybe... maybe more than looked. His eyes were suddenly watery and itchy.

Tkoli merely glowered at the pair, a gaze as firey with unforgiving anger as any Kalona's.

"No," Cricket said, firmly, though she was panting and there were small flecks of foam at the corners of her mouth. "Tkoli always thinks she's right." And usually she was, but... "She's not right. Not this time. It's not your fault! None'f us can help how we were born, right?"

Something Tkoli had said, many times, to a young filly who had been teased for being 'stupid'. Cricket glanced back in time to see one of the older mare's ears flick, just for a moment, but the other Soquili did not change her stance.

"I'll help you," she mumbled. "Nobody will have a problem with you being around then, right?"

Despite the massive blow to Ethan's confidence, and the scariness of the striped mare, Ethan was touched by Cricket's show of support. "You're right, Cricket!" Ethan said, finding a pit of strength. He couldn't be a monster. Either... either they were misinformed - exaggerating how bad they were .... or his dad couldn't be like that. He knew he didn't have evil in him like Tkoli was talking about!

"I don't know what you've been told, Miss Tkoli... I'm not like that." he said, eyes stinging, but a steadiness in his voice. He turned to Cricket with a serious smile. "You don't have to do this, Cricket... you have a nice home here... and I don' wanna make you leave it... But... " He looked back into the woods. "If you really wanna help me... well, I ain't one to turn it down."

"I'll come with you," Cricket said, throwing caution to the wind and letting her emotions reign. What Tkoli was doing wasn't fair, and poor Ethan needed somebody to explain to other Soquili if they were all going to be like that, and not give him a chance! "That way, I can talk to others if they get nasty at you..." She shot Tkoli a guilty look.

"I'm going," she called out, raising her voice.

Tkoli watched a moment longer, then turned and walked away without another word.

"Heh..." Cricket drooped a little, then shook her head and turned back to Ethan. "She's mad, but she'll get over it." Secretly, Cricket wasn't quite sure of that, and there was a growing feeling in the pit of her stomach that she was being stupid again, but she couldn't turn back now. "We'll find your dad... and we'll have a big adventure on the way, huh?" She gave Ethan a bright smile that was only a little faked.

Ethan gave Cricket a genuine, but solemn smile. "Thank you." He breathed.

He risked one look back at the striped mare, trying to express just how sorry he was to her with a glance. Scaring her, makin her feel threatened in her home... and taking her friend away from her.

Then, he turned with another smile to Cricket, sniffing a little but summoning another equally forced smile. "Yeah... an adventure, Cricket. You're absolutely right."

He was honestly glad to have someone closer to his age traveling with him that wouldn't fuss over him quite like his mom. It was a big scary world out there.... and apparently other soquili would be the ones finding him scary. It would be nice to have someone on his side. A real friend.

He walked evenly away from the clearing, risking sidelong glances at Cricket a few times before finally speaking up, though it was barely above a whisper. "... thanks... this.... this really means a lot to me, Cricket."

Cricket grinned, and gave a hard mental stomp to the warning thoughts in her mind. "S'okay... I mean, you don't have anyone... you need somebody to show you the way, right?" She paused, though, and turned to glance back at the meadow for a moment. Tkoli was nowhere to be seen.

After a moment, she turned and kept going. "Besides, we'll go see... the best places! Big mountains, big meadows! And you can see all the different kinds of Soquili... there's mers and kelpies in the lake, and wind and flutter in the skies..." She didn't mention Kalona; she didn't want to run into any of them. Maybe Ethan was okay, but if what Tkoli had said was true... she thought Ethan didn't really have any Kalona heritage at all. She'd just been wrong. Tkoli had been wrong too. "And the Angeni! They have so many wings... some of them have horns, too. Maybe your dad's an Angeni," she added with a grin, sidling to one side and bumping Ethan lightly with her shoulder.

Yeah. An adventure. She was good at adventures... right?

"Well... I've got you with me now, right?" He smiled again. "And it sure sounds like you know your way around!" He hoped so at least. But... even if not... two were more likely to find his dad than just one! Not to mention he'd have someone to talk to. A REAL friend. The smile broadened.

"wow..." he mused at her description. It sounded so unreal! "Soquili in the sky?" He breathed. Maybe this would be a real adventure after all. "You really think my dad might be an Angeni?" That sounded amazing. Could it really be true?

He didn't want to believe his dad was a monster. He wasn't a monster. And yet his conviction wavered. Things his mom had said were now reverberating in his mind. His mom had told him that he was a good son, and that it didn't matter who his dad was or that he wasn't around. That he was his own soquili.... Hm.

"Yeah... yeah, you've got me." Cricket grinned and paused on the top of a small rise. "We'll find him, don't worry... he could be an Angeni, or all kinds of things. There are so many sorts of Soquili in the world..." She'd been jealous of them a time or two. Envious of Euterpe for being able to fly, wising to be a mer so she could fly under the water...

But now she was going on her own adventure. Something she never could have predicted when she woke up that morning. "Anyway, who your dad is doesn't mean anything about who you are, right? Inside? So if he is an Angeni... that'd be really cool. If he's not... then you'd still know who he was, and it'd still be cool." She nodded, then turned to look over the view, her ears pricked. "So... where to first?"

"I know you're right, Cricket. Who he is... well... it won't make me different. Mom's virtually said as much to me. That everyone's their own soquili. The spirits give everyone an equal chance to do good or bad and make their impression on the world. An I believe that. I mean... I don't think that meeting my dad will change me... whether he's an Angeni or..." He hesitated. "... you know." But despite Ethan's optimistic words, there was a hesitance as he admitted the possibility.

And in truth, while Ethan wasn't aware of his mom's motivations, he was very lucky that she believed in such. She believed that each colt started with a blank slate in the spirits' eyes, and so she couldn't believe that her son would be born evil, despite his father. Her beliefs were tied very strongly to traditional Celtic values. He was her son, and she taught him respect for others - mares and stallions alike, and for nature and other tenants of right and wrong from her value system.

"But I want to meet him. Look at him in the face and know he's my dad, you know? I want to see what kind of stallion he is. I know what I do in life is my path... but... sometimes it helps to see where those who came before ya went. "

Ethan paused beside Cricket at the rise, overlooking the vast forest, mountains in the distance. He looked back Eastwards, the direction that he came. He'd made quite some distance since he started on his journey. He couldn't even see the lush valley that he had called home. It felt... strange. Good in a way, but there was a clutch of nostalgia. He hoped his mom was okay. Then he looked West - and into the unknown. "It's a big world." He mused to her. "Lots of places to look for him. Lots of soquili to meet, and adventures to have." He smiled to her. "I say we go West. Into the unknown!" He posed overdramatically for a moment before faltering sheepishly. "That is, unless you've already explored West."

"It doesn't matter - it's unknown to you, right?" Cricket hesitated a moment longer, then smiled. "C'mon, let's go!"

She cantered down the hill.

The Coming of Spring
Catching up with Balrog and Stormwild.
Soquili Involved:Stormwild & Balrog

User Image
Balrog stood poised on a ledge near the top of the cliff that jutted out of the center of his herd's territory. His wings were half unfurled at his sides, and he breathed deeply as the winds whipped through his mane and feathers. Spring had come to the land, melting the snows, bringing tender new leaves and grasses. This was the time of year when everything felt clean. New. And along with the disappearing snows seemed to go many of Balrog's lingering troubles and guilt. Anemone had left. So had many of the lesser members of the herd. It was a new spring - both for the land and his herd.

New life was in the herd as well. Belle and Zhuri had had foals again - strong, beautiful foals and three of them - all of them with the gift of wings. Even Azure's indescretion with some strange mare from another herd had brought new life to their herd. And at least he had had the sense of mating with another that yielded winged foals. They both had the strange bug-wings as she did, but it was infinately better than nothing.

And then there was the basket, still housing a son... his son... whenever he emerged that was. But the basket still brimmed with life despite the long wait. But overall, he was pleased. Happy even.

Stormwild came up slowly behind Balrog, being quiet and letting him have his moment. She let the breeze drift through her own mane, tossing it back in the wind and enjoying the serenity of spring. Balrog had seemed more content resently, and despite her sacrifices, she felt more at ease overall. After a few moments she stepped closer, nuzzling her nose behind his ear in greeting

Balrog stiffened for a moment, but then relaxed and nuzzled back at her with a content rumble. Balrog had indeed been much more approachable recently. Granted, after the incidents, Balrog had been wary for a while - anxious to let himself relax or believe that the soquili in question were really gone.

"How have you been, Stormwild?" he inquired and made space for her.

"Fine," she tossed her mane and looked over the sky. "Ready to welcome spring. Foaling in winter has been a bit straining, but all's well at least. Have you seen Zhuri's foals recently. They are exceptionally fine."

Balrog let a genuine smile spread across his face. "I have. They are fine young wind soquili, and growing quickly. Indeed, welcome new arrivals. And Kamiki and Azure brought some foals in as well. The herd is growing fine and strong!" He savored a deep breath of the clean mountain air.

Stormwild just nodded and looked back over the valley below, her mind wandering to Sequoyah. It had been far too long until she had seen him. There was a sadness in her eyes... not the desperation there once was, but the deep chasm of acceptence. Things were better, and even she new that, but the nostalgia still lingered. She would let the new lives the herd was bringing focus her attention to the future.

Balrog wasn't completely oblivious to her pain or the sacrifice that she had made. She had made that perfectly clear during their last argument, and her words still rung clearly through his mind.

"I hope that this new spring brings with it a better year. Thus far it... has been good." The vision was clear in his mind now, all of them - every single member of his herd was airborne... it was truly a glorious thing. And new life was on the way.

first place.

User Image
"Yes..." The thought of new life brought her to realizing how much she wished to be a mother again. She looked over to Balrog thoughfully... it was too soon to bring that up with him again. But she could occupy herself with his progeny for the time being. She would make it her personal missong to make sure his colt did not grow up without a mother figure. "How is your basket doing?"

Balrog held his breath for a moment. He was concerned that it was taking as long as it was to emerge. He had in fact had concerns after Anemone left that she was as strong of a figure as he had first assumed. How many characteristics had he ascribed on her that he wanted to see?

"The life inside is still strong... perhaps... he will just be a late bloomer. They say that some of the latest bloomers grow to be the strongest.." They did say that, didn't they? It sounded good to him...

Storm smiled and nodded. "Perhaps he is waiting for the warmth of spring. Its never a good to rush. He will come when he is ready."

He nodded, leaning closer to her with the encouragement. "You.... always had a way with foals." He commented after a pause.

She puffed a bit with pride. "Thanks. I enjoy it... that really means a lot to me."

Balrog even had the decorum to not mention her fist indescretion that had wasted her strong winged heritage. They had butted heads on that in the past... and... well, it was a new spring.

She... always had been the maternal type. His gaze wandered down to where the crimson basket was nestled safely and back over to her. Good things were on the horizon.

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

The Adventure Continues
RP with Ethan, Cricket, and Evanesca

RP located HERE

Ethan and Cricket continue their adventure and run into (literally) the mare Evanesca.

User Image
User ImageUser Image  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 pm
Arcana's Foals
Soquili involved: Taraxippus, Arcana, Anju, Grimoire, Diogenes, Lycaenidae

User ImageArcana had been hovering protectively over the cluster of three baskets ever since the tiny foals had been tucked away into them. The labor had been unlike anything she had ever experienced before - excruciating, terrifying. She hadn't been around when Megaera had had her foals, and while she had heard her adoptive sister complaining about it for some time afterwards, Arcana hadn't exactly been in a very sympathetic mindset.

Now she understood. Sabin had tried to ease her through it, tucking the tiny infant foals into baskets as soon as they emerged. She listened to his steady talking, easing her through it - it had been something to focus on to try to muster through the pain. She latched onto his confidence and fearlessness. She listened as he talked about how the baskets were expertly crafted by the medicine woman who lived up the mountain, how she was doing well, and that her foals seemed healthy. She was glad that Anju was not about for such a painful moment. The young mare barely kept her head during the trial, and the last thing she needed were more scathing remarks from her father.

Then, for weeks, there was a time of repreive. She huddled close to the baskets, watching in awe as colors bloomed on the wicker weavings. Colors that were reminiscent of her own... and the massive kalona. There was no doubt in her mind that they were his to begin with, but seeing the colors influence her children... it almost sent a shudder down her spine as she recalled that day... But he was gone. She hadn't sniffed the faintest hint of the Kalona since she had found her way home. Now... it was just a matter of time till she proved herself right.

Then one night, as Arcana lay besides Sabin's teepee protectively curled around the baskets, she was awakened by a vibration. She lifted her head suddenly, shocked. So soon? Elation sprung to her heart and a vindictive smile actually found its way to her muzzle momentarily. Taraxippus had been pacing in anxiety this last week since her own baskets had been secured - his foal had still not emerged from its false womb, and he was growing concerned.

Her baskets... they were brimming with life that was about to push forth!

She got to her feet quickly, calling for her father as the basket whose colors most strongly resembled its father began to distort.

User ImageWithin a few moments, The shadows seemed to part as a stallion virtually materialized beside her. Arcana looked up triumphantly... until she saw that it was not her father. It was startling how much Taraxippus had grown to resemble his father... throwing her own dainty, glimmering features into sharp contrast. She shied back under his critical eye, placing a silvery hoof protectively in front of the shaking basket.

Taraxippus made a show of rolling an amber eye. "Oh come now, Arcana. Do you really think me so brutish that I would hurt your young? After all, they are my nephews or nieces."

Arcana tossed her head indignantly. "I have seen you enjoy causing harm to small, helpless creatures, Tara. No, I wouldn't put it past you. You are a brute!" Arcana was NOT in the mood for his games. Today was supposed to be a HAPPY day.

"Then you don't know me half as well as I know you, little sister. Take for instance, I know for a certainty that it wil be much more savory to watch as your bug-offspring crawl out of their baskets and prove your story was a lie. TO watch Father dissappointed in you again."

"No! You're a liar! They'll prove me right... father will be proud of me! And at least my babies are strong enough to fight a way out of a basket! Are you sure yours isn't dead!?"

Taraxippus's ears flattened sharply and he made a feinting snap at Arcana's neck with his sharp, kalona-esque teeth, before taking a step back, smirking as she quivered back. "Do not forget who is the favorite... and always will be. When my child emerges, it will be far better than any spawn you could produce - regardless of whether or not you were tupped by the biggest, baddest Kalona in all the Kawani lands. Your weak, delicate nature would water down the blood of Kalona himself!" HE began to whicker in amusement, but ceased suddenly as he sensed another presence in the shadows. Settling on a triumphant smile, he stepped back, and let their father enter the scene.

User ImageShadows swirled again as Anju, an irate expression on his strange face, confronted Arcana. "What is so direly important at this hour? You disturbed my hunt."

"Father!" She gasped, presentin the shaking basket. "My foals! It is their time!" And then, as if on cue, a dark horn pierced the battered basket, then cloven hooves, until finally, a small filly tumbled out.

Arcana watched with bated breath, only to have a gasp catch in her throat. There, shaking herself free of the wicker remains was a tiny fluttercorn. The massive kalona's influenced seemed to only bleed through in the form of her intgriguing coloration... and small notches in her ears.

Anju's brow lifted, and a mocking smile played over his face. "This is what you were so excited to show me? A tiny clone of her mother, perhaps with some more respectable coloration, but nonetheless, another "pretty bug"?" He tossed his head. "Is this the famous paternal heritage that you were so quick to brag about?"

Arcana's legs were shaking. THis is not at all how she imagined this moment to go. "N... no.... she's colored like her father... see those red rune-like pattern?" She nuzzled the foal, who was gasping the cool night air, and now looking to the tall figures around her. "You.. you'll still see." She responded, as the darkest basket now was shaking violently.

And indeed, the darkest basket was being quickly ripped apart until, finally, another filly tumbled out. But Arcana felt her eyes sting as she saw what fell out - moist butterfly wings were now waving, drying in the air, luminous yellow eyes staring out into the night. But no horns graced her head, no spikes on her body.... There was no sign of the Kalona in her at all.

Anju snorted, six eyes squinting critically at this flutter. "You test my patience, Arcana. You should have been smarter than this. A lie with no evidence only serves to make you look foolish. You bring more weaklings into this herd? What a disappointment. Perhaps I made a mistake in letting you back in at all." His ears flattened.

"No!" Arcana was virtually in tears. "It's the truth! I don't understand!" She nuzzled the newest arrival protectively. "really..." Though there was defeat in her voice.

With bated breath, she watched the last basket rock. The blue basket with silvery accents that most resembled her in coloration. Could she dare to hope?

The moments seemed to stretch forever until finally, a silvery horn and four silver hooves demolished the basket violently. Then, shaking itself free was a little colt... wingless, but with two silver spikes growing from his shoulders... and long, twisted kalona horns from his forehead. A long, hairless tail lashed behind him as he looked down at the basket ruefully, as if it had caused him some great offense.

Anju watched silently, considering. THe mocking grin had left his face, but there was still a critical squint to his eye. There was no denying the heritage of this foal. And while unlike his sisters, he bore no wings, there was a sinister feel about this one.

"Hmph." Anju said simply. He lowered his head to get a closer look, as if looking for weakness to voice. The colt, startled, turned and snapped with its small jaws. At this, Anju grinnned, pulling his head back slowly with a hissing laugh. "He has spirit." Anju conceded. "Perhaps... you are not a total loss to our family, Arcana.... but do not exaggerate again. Perhaps your mate had some kalona blood in him after all..."

Without granting Arcana anything more than that tentative acceptance, he turned, tail swishing, and melted back into the shadows.

It wasn't much, but it was something. It was... acceptance? Sort of? She pulled her foals close to her, letting them begin to nurse. She was a mother now... and these foals would love her if nothing else... right? And more than that, she smiled simply to Taraxippus, who gave her a sneer as he returned to go shelter his own basket, awating it's 'second birth'... and the start of great plans of his....

User ImageUser ImageUser Image  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 pm
Welcome, Little Prince
Balrog and Stormwild welcome Firestorm to the herd

User Image
Spring was finally in the air, even up in the mountainous grasslands that Balrog and Stormwild's herd called their own. The snow had melted everywhere except the highest peaks, and flowers were in bloom. Even the butterflies had returned to kiss the alpine blooms. It was the lush, tender new blooms and perfect skies that brought out the foal inside all the soquili.

It seemed fortoutous then, that it was a mornin such as this that the firey basket that Balrog had been keeping an eagle's eye upon finally began to quiver. He almost hadn't noticed. He had grown so accustomed to it being there, of the days stretching into weeks and months. He had been afraid to give voice to his concerns lest fate make it truth. But perhaps his son had just been biding his time to emerge in the season which would be safest for him.

Balrog was on his feet now, wings spread, and crying out joyfully to the skies. His son was coming. New life was coming with the dawn!

Stormwild was napping under the newly blossoming trees, happily entranced the the smells of spring blooms when Balrog's commotion roused her. He was trotting beside the long-still basket like a young colt. A burden lifted from Storm's spirits already, as she feared the baby inside would perish before emerging. She often checked thebasket for signs of life when Balrog was not looking, terrified of finding it cold and lifeless and having to break the news to him.

But it appeared the time was coming. As Storm came to Balrog's side, she saw for herself the pushing from inside the wicker cave. She nuzzled Balrog and smiled at him supportingly.

Balrog pranced affectionately up to Stormwild. It was rare to see the thick stallion in such a jovial spirit. "Storm!" He rumbled pleasantly as she made her appearence at such a monumentous time.

"It is time! Finally my son is arriving in this world!"

And indeed, the pressings against this basket were becoming more frequent and forceful, as if with each blow, the life inside was gaining strengh.

For Balrog, watching and not interfering with this rite of passage seemed to last years. The worry that the foal was underdeveloped with how long it had taken to emerge. And yet, finally, coal-black hooves tore out of the basket, followed by a golden horn ... and then finally, a coal-and-ember colt tumbled out into the grassy field, blinking into the sunlight.

User Image Stormwild swallowed down a wave of jealousy as the picture-perfect colt tumbled into the light of day. He was everything Balrog wanted - alicorn, strong, and male. She wished she could have given him what he wanted...

..but she forced those thought away. The other mare was gone now, leaving Balrog happily in her dust with his other two children. She would be the only mother this little boy would ever know, and she would take him under her wing as her own. This was still Balrog and her's child, even it didn't come from her womb.

She smiled proudly at her mate and stood back to let him have the first nuzzles. "What shall you call him?"

Balrog's chest swelled as he saw the dusky colt who began to survey this green world around him, and these two face that looked down at him. He gaped a smile, wobbling to his feet dauntlessly despite how high they towered over him. His leonine tail swished behind him as he burbled happily.

Balrog's own firey coloration came through clearly in this foal. He looked to Storm and a smile graced his face.

"He shall be our Firestorm."

Stormwild's own heart swelled at Balrog's purposeful choice of words. "That's perfect," she said, nuzzling Balrog affectionately before turning her attention to the new baby. "Welcome to the world little one."

The colt cavorted closer on overly long legs, not quite getting the movement down perfect, but he was unashamed by his awkward steps.

With a playful smile, he nuzzled against Stormwild's foreleg. Her motherly energy was welcoming to the little colt, who began to look to her for milk.

"Patience, little one," she cooed. She looked up at Balrog and gave a sheepish smile. "We should visit the Shaman soon. She can procure milk for us, there is always a mare nearby that will donate to her."

On that train of thought she paused and shuffled her feet. "Say, have you spoken with Maelstrom recently?"

Balrog nuzzled encouragingly at his son. "He is strong. Healthy. We will feed this stomach of yours soon. It is good that you have an appetite!"

He raised his head, and his brows to Storm. "Maelstrom? Not lately. I have been... keeping watch over this little one waiting for this day. ... Why..?" He asked, concern slipping into his voice. She and his sister had always been wonderful daughters. Intelligent, and valuing the ideals of their herd.

"She has been spending a lot of time with that Wild Wind. She looks different to me. Call it female intuition, but unless I'm mistaken, perhaps she will be able to provide us with what we need." She gave him a knowing smile.

Balrog's brows furrowed for a moment before his eyes widened suddenly. "oh... Oh! Do you truly think?"

His ears pricked. If there were any conceivable way that the day could improve, it would be through news such as that. Maelstrom, his daughter, and Wild Wind... a stallion whose ideals were as if he were born into this herd. The winnter had been bitter.. harsh - those had been trying times for him and for his deal of the herd. This spring seemed to melt away those problems and bring a new dawn to this herd. Things seemed finally attainable.

He leaned against Stormwild, lifting his wing over her back as he spoke down to the colt. "Welcome to a wonderful world, Firestorm. You could not have been born to a stronger, prouder herd."

User Image  
Teepees

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 23 24 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games