Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
@#@%# The racist! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who thinks that racist should be eliminate?
  I really think that it should
View Results

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:48 pm
bluegrass cat
Hawaiian_Gurl
I cant stand Racist people who start to sterotype other Race,Gender , even there religions for no damn reason .

stare

racism is only hatred of another race.

gender discrimination is called sexism ((or once was, i think we're moving more towards 'gender discrimination' due to ppl thinking sexism is only towards women)) and hatred of someone based on religion is generally referred to as bigotry, although to be a bigot really means you hate all viewpoints/people/ideas/religions other than your own.

the worst part about stereotypes is how people claim that they are "based in truth" when the majority of the time they were based on propaganda put forth by whatever group originally had a problem with the other group.

for example, the whole stereotype of black people either being drug dealers or drug users comes from anti-marijuana propaganda from WAY back in the jim crowe days of blacks using marijuana and then going on "reefer madness induced fits of rage" and raping white women.

did that ever happen? probably not, but there were television and print ads about it and even psa-style movies ((like the ones in gaia cinemas)).

its ******** sad that people still think that way, but then again, people still think cleopatra the 8th was a slut thanks to octavious even though she wasn't. sweatdrop

also, i'm all for free speech and all that, but there's a difference between hate speech ((which is speech w/ the purpose of inspiring hatred or violence towards a group)) and free speech, and i for one am happy that the law ((for the most part)) does make that distinction.

people need to understand that the founding fathers weren't infallible and never meant for the constitution to be set in stone. the law must evolve with the times, and they understood that. ((this is why we're allowed to amend the damn thing.))

oh, and here's a funny little tidbit, did you know the declaration of independence has a racial slur in it? oh yes, it does! 3nodding also, the original california constitution had slurs against chinese people, and laws saying to throw them out of any town, establishment, bar, etc.

times change, rights and laws and responsibilities should, too. xd

but yeah, in short, racists suck a**. i'm all for equality all around! heart
I really would fail to see how sexism would only be towards women, that just makes no sense at all really. confused Oh well, world we live in now.

Your claims of stereotypes not being based on fact, but rather propaganda I have a small problem with though. You see, while I will agree that propaganda does have a lot of weight when it comes to pushing forward stereotypes and such, there also is a lot of fact to them. Your example of black people and marijuana does have truth to it, granted, I'll give you that not all black people, or most for that matter, do smoke it, but it's a significant enough percentage to push forward the stereotype.

Not to mention many of the figures that black youths now a days have taken up do claim to have smoked it, were proven to smoke it, or do smoke it, doesn't really help that whole case. Of course, I will have to say that this is just from what I have seen in my neck of the woods, so it may not be true for everywhere across the country, but it is true for my area at least.

And personally, I do think racism is wrong, if someone is going to hate another person, then they should do it on a much more personal level rather than doing it just because of how a person looks or believes in.

Interesting tidbit to add on to yours, did you guys know that originally black people, and women too I believe, although I think I may be wrong on that one, were going to be included into the Constitution as having the same freedoms as everyone else.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:43 pm
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
Hawaiian_Gurl
I cant stand Racist people who start to sterotype other Race,Gender , even there religions for no damn reason .

stare

gender discrimination is called sexism ((or once was, i think we're moving more towards 'gender discrimination' due to ppl thinking sexism is only towards women)) and hatred of someone based on religion is generally referred to as bigotry, although to be a bigot really means you hate all viewpoints/people/ideas/religions other than your own.

the worst part about stereotypes is how people claim that they are "based in truth" when the majority of the time they were based on propaganda put forth by whatever group originally had a problem with the other group.

for example, the whole stereotype of black people either being drug dealers or drug users comes from anti-marijuana propaganda from WAY back in the jim crowe days of blacks using marijuana and then going on "reefer madness induced fits of rage" and raping white women.

did that ever happen? probably not, but there were television and print ads about it and even psa-style movies ((like the ones in gaia cinemas)).

its ******** sad that people still think that way, but then again, people still think cleopatra the 8th was a slut thanks to octavious even though she wasn't. sweatdrop

also, i'm all for free speech and all that, but there's a difference between hate speech ((which is speech w/ the purpose of inspiring hatred or violence towards a group)) and free speech, and i for one am happy that the law ((for the most part)) does make that distinction.

people need to understand that the founding fathers weren't infallible and never meant for the constitution to be set in stone. the law must evolve with the times, and they understood that. ((this is why we're allowed to amend the damn thing.))

oh, and here's a funny little tidbit, did you know the declaration of independence has a racial slur in it? oh yes, it does! 3nodding also, the original california constitution had slurs against chinese people, and laws saying to throw them out of any town, establishment, bar, etc.

I really would fail to see how sexism would only be towards women, that just makes no sense at all really. confused Oh well, world we live in now.

Your claims of stereotypes not being based on fact, but rather propaganda I have a small problem with though. You see, while I will agree that propaganda does have a lot of weight when it comes to pushing forward stereotypes and such, there also is a lot of fact to them. Your example of black people and marijuana does have truth to it, granted, I'll give you that not all black people, or most for that matter, do smoke it, but it's a significant enough percentage to push forward the stereotype.

Not to mention many of the figures that black youths now a days have taken up do claim to have smoked it, were proven to smoke it, or do smoke it, doesn't really help that whole case. Of course, I will have to say that this is just from what I have seen in my neck of the woods, so it may not be true for everywhere across the country, but it is true for my area at least.

And personally, I do think racism is wrong, if someone is going to hate another person, then they should do it on a much more personal level rather than doing it just because of how a person looks or believes in.

Interesting tidbit to add on to yours, did you guys know that originally black people, and women too I believe, although I think I may be wrong on that one, were going to be included into the Constitution as having the same freedoms as everyone else.

the reason that sexism is thought of as only pertaining to male on female crime is because no one had even heard of the damn word until the feminist movement. hence the connection in people's minds.

and, i'm sorry, but wtf? enough black people smoke it? here, educate yourself: NIDA's report of drug use among racial/ethnic minorities. and in case you're not into reading, here's a pic of one of the charts in that report:
User Image

sorry if i sound snippy, but it really bothers me when people look at pop culture and idiots who inhabit that sphere of reality and want to say "well, look, all their idols are doing it!" as proof that THEY must do it as well.

my sister's name is paris, but she's not a slut, yo. xd  

WastelandMama
Crew

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:39 pm
bluegrass cat
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
Hawaiian_Gurl

stare

the reason that sexism is thought of as only pertaining to male on female crime is because no one had even heard of the damn word until the feminist movement. hence the connection in people's minds.

and, i'm sorry, but wtf? enough black people smoke it? here, educate yourself: NIDA's report of drug use among racial/ethnic minorities. and in case you're not into reading, here's a pic of one of the charts in that report:
User Image

sorry if i sound snippy, but it really bothers me when people look at pop culture and idiots who inhabit that sphere of reality and want to say "well, look, all their idols are doing it!" as proof that THEY must do it as well.

my sister's name is paris, but she's not a slut, yo. xd
Stupid feminists. mad D

I was really just talking my neck of the woods for my idea as to why stereotypes are based in reality. I don't think I claimed that it was how it was everywhere else, but I may have, and if I did, I didn't mean it like that. I just know that amongst the teenagers that I go to school with, quite a few smoke it/endorse smoking it. So that's just my view on the whole thing, based on what I see.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:01 pm
I think racist people are just ignorant people who hate them self and canĀ“t stand it so they redirect there anger against other people that has nothing to do with it.  

Lindsay Lins

700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

The Amethyst Riddle

Dapper Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:18 pm
i really don't like racism. the people i know and go to school with are all good people, and because i go to a magnet school, there are all sorts of different people. people with any sort of prejudices piss me off, no matter what it's about. has anyone seen that dr. phil thing called 'the house of hatred' where they got all those people together and one of them was black and hated white people, one of them was white and hated black people, one was thin and hated fat people, one was fat and hated thin people, one was straight and hated gay people, and one was gay and hated straight people. those people made me so mad, because they hated each other for no reason.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm
golden-eyed-fallen-angel
i really don't like racism. the people i know and go to school with are all good people, and because i go to a magnet school, there are all sorts of different people. people with any sort of prejudices piss me off, no matter what it's about. has anyone seen that dr. phil thing called 'the house of hatred' where they got all those people together and one of them was black and hated white people, one of them was white and hated black people, one was thin and hated fat people, one was fat and hated thin people, one was straight and hated gay people, and one was gay and hated straight people. those people made me so mad, because they hated each other for no reason.

omg, i totally saw that dr. phil!!! xd

people like that are so ignorant that its almost FUNNY to watch them!

ohohoh! like on chapelle's show where he plays the blind black kkk member? that's a SCREAM!!! and after he finds out he IS black, he divorces his wife because she married a black man! rofl funny s**t, man!  

WastelandMama
Crew

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas