Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
GASP! Why is there no topic about Dumbledore's gayness? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you know?
  No!
  Hell yeahs
View Results

GojakInucrawler

Aged Gaian

5,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 am
Goddess Ace
Lily the Pink
Because it's being beaten to death in the GD. xD

I found out Friday night, and was mind-raped. gonk

I started reading Harry Potter when I was ten. I feel like if she was going to do this, she should have written it into the books; now it only feels like she's trying to get attention. I wouldn't have cared that he was gay if she'd made it part of his character.

The GD does not exist, it is a myth talk2hand

Yeah, this is probably so JK can sell more books or something. Next thing we know she'll write a series of Dumbledore's fantasies of little boys. Mmm.

Mmmm . . . yummy!! I'll have to buy those books. xd

I found out Saturday night and I was like, "OMG!! Jeanne needs to see this!!" She's a big Harry Potter fan.

That would explain Dumbledore's "naked time" . . . (Potter Puppet Pals). Just kidding! xp  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:38 am
gonk gonk gonk AAAAAAAhhhh! Nooooo!!!! Dumbledore's gay!!!!!???? What will happen next? The LOTR characters were gay!?! My cousins were really shock of hearing about this now. eek  

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:17 am
OH HOLY GOD!!!

am i the only one who did not know or ever guessed lmfao!!! i always thought him and minerva omg omg omg.... hehe everything kinda fits now!!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am
Lily the Pink

I started reading Harry Potter when I was ten. I feel like if she was going to do this, she should have written it into the books; now it only feels like she's trying to get attention. I wouldn't have cared that he was gay if she'd made it part of his character.
(*has a sudden mental image of Dumbley acting like Jack from "Will and Grace"*) gonk

Seriously, to show that he's gay, it's either that or have him openly in a relationship with another guy - the first method is so much a stereotype that it's dumb, and the second probably would've hurt sales. Yeah, there'd be the people buying the books just to see if there was any hawt old-man-on-man action, but I'm guessing that more people would stay away from it (and keep their kids away from it) if they feared seeing any old-man-gayness or creepy ***** stuff in it.

I kind of suspected it a little, especially with the Grindelwald backstory, but it really didn't matter. Gay or not, Dumbledore was Dumbledore. They didn't show him in a relationship, so to me his sexuality was irrelevant. Sure, with them seeing each other, it makes their duel more poignant, but for me, just the fact that they were best friends was painful enough.

I think she probably wrote it into the books as much as she could with the least amount of uproar (openly gay guy + being old + position of authority over many, many young boys = *****, in a lot of people's minds, especially with the Catholic priest/Boy Scout master/etc. incidents), but the announcement was completely unnecessary, IMO.

Yeah, now gay people have someone to identify with in the books, and ideally this would make any homophobic fans open their minds a little, but in reality, the type of fear and hate that comes with being a homophobe isn't going to go away just because a character in a book you like "comes out of the closet" post-humously. Likely, the people who have no problems with gays already had their own theories on who was really gay or not, and anyone who's homophobic or otherwise "no, Dumbley's not gay! It's not possible!" is going to either ignore the announcement (if they're a fan of the books) or burn their books (if they're sufficiently homophobic).

It's a total marketing ploy - I agree with Lily, et. al on this one. Now people who've only seen the movies are gonna be like "omg, does it say that in the books?!" and will buy more copies of it. People who already have the books will be like, "does it say this in another country's version?" and buy more copies. Some of the people who weren't interested in HP for the magic will buy books looking for scenes of Dumbledore prancing around, swishing his wand in an effeminate fashion, etc.

Plus it's guaranteed to keep the fanfics churning out, now that it's "canon" (o'course, knowing the fanfic world intimately, they will be set back when D. and Grindelwald were young so that the writers can make them bishie, because lord knows, all gay guys are young, skinny, and pretty >.<).

Seriously, when your series has already been plagued by book-burnings by fundamental Christians who view it as Satan's teachings, are you really going to add to your "people who hate my books" list by creating more controversy when it's not necessary? I guess if you're insecure as to how your books will hold up to the test of time, and feel the need to stir up s**t to sell your books (because, yes, controversy sells too), then you would. confused

I'm just disgusted by this, I really am. Not that he's gay, but the announcement of it, and...
Quote:

"She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds “true love.”

“Dumbledore is gay,” the author responded to gasps and applause."

Now, if the question had been something along the lines of "does he find true love with McGonagall/Hooch/any other female?", then that'd be an acceptable answer. With how it's quoted (which is all I have to go on right now), her answer is a non sequitur made just for attention.

Now if you all will kindly excuse me, I must go bang my head against a wall. gonk  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

SIammy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:21 am
Good thing he never saw Harry be "of age"... rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:43 pm
My friend said the JK probably atteneded to have Dumbledore gay from the very begining but was too scared to write about it. Could be a possibility.

Either way, we keep joking about wool socks and the mirror now dramallama  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:58 pm
SlamuelBTP
Good thing he never saw Harry be "of age"... rofl

ROFLMFAO

omg i nearly spat my tea everywhere hahahahaha  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:03 pm
Lily the Pink

As a writer, I know that when you come up with a character you come up with an entire person. You know things about them that are not necessary to the book and can weaken it. There was no part of Harry Potter where you needed to know he was gay. She just had it in her head and it affected his character and how he reacted to stuff. When asked about it she just said what she had already thought of. I don't really think it's for attention and I think it's stupid that now people are like "he was trying to get in Harry's pants." There is a difference between being gay and *****. Older gay men aren't into children/teenagers in the same way that older straight men aren't. People are just homophobic so they twist things around.  

kailan27

Artanus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 pm
Sheer_Immortal

I'm just disgusted by this, I really am. Not that he's gay, but the announcement of it, and...
Quote:

"She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds “true love.”

“Dumbledore is gay,” the author responded to gasps and applause."

Now, if the question had been something along the lines of "does he find true love with McGonagall/Hooch/any other female?", then that'd be an acceptable answer. With how it's quoted (which is all I have to go on right now), her answer is a non sequitur made just for attention.

Now if you all will kindly excuse me, I must go bang my head against a wall. gonk

Oi! Already pointed that out!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:06 pm
kailan27
Lily the Pink

As a writer, I know that when you come up with a character you come up with an entire person. You know things about them that are not necessary to the book and can weaken it. There was no part of Harry Potter where you needed to know he was gay. She just had it in her head and it affected his character and how he reacted to stuff. When asked about it she just said what she had already thought of. I don't really think it's for attention and I think it's stupid that now people are like "he was trying to get in Harry's pants." There is a difference between being gay and *****. Older gay men aren't into children/teenagers in the same way that older straight men aren't. People are just homophobic so they twist things around.

I know that; I write quite a bit myself. It was just a weird way to answer.

I also think it's stupid the way some people are reacting: he wasn't into Harry/Ron/Draco/whoever! I can't remember the article completely, but I got the impression that Grindelwald WAS his only love and that because he was so hurt by Grindelwald, he never dared give his heart out again. I find that rather sad, especially because all along Dumbledore was the one saying that love is the power that Voldemort knew not.  

Lily the Pink

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:25 pm
I personally always thought of Dumbledore as asexual, never really seemed too interested in getting any from anyone. xD

I have to agree with Lily though, I think she's just doing it to get attention, and nothing else.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:24 pm
Hmmm. I think there's a double meaning in J.K's words.

She said Dumbledore is gay (which could mean that he's happy)but did she say dumbledore is A gay?  

Lee Jin Xing

Ruthless Hunter

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm
I think she did it to piss people off xd And for all you radicals, he's gay AND a wizard so it's double the sin xd *laughs*

And person who posted above me, she meant he's a f** D:<  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:28 am
generic_boob
OH MY GOD!

no wonder harry's his favorite. He's like a little altar boy.

gonk

I frikkin love your sig pic! It's hilarious!!!!

I was actually kinda hoping not to see a thread about this. They are beating it to death on CNN scream scream scream scream  

angel_half82
Crew

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas