Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Tarot cards: Another of Trevor's random thought dumps. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:34 pm
I've been interested in Tarot readings for a while now, but never have gotten around to reading up on it.

I learned, like, the very basics of palm reading while I was in high school (had to do public speeches for English class, and a friend of mine chose palm reading for one of her speeches, so it got me interested), and ended up reading the palm of my supervisor at work...his love line crossed his life line fairly early, so I interpreted that to mean that his love life started early...turns out that while he was in high school, he was in the group of football players that gang-banged the HS secretary-at-the-time 0.o

'Twas kind of an infamous incident in the town (small town, so word of scandal gets around quickly, plus I swear there's something in the water at the high school that makes the staff horny for the students, judging by the relatively high number of student/faculty relations), though it was way before my time (I think it happened when I was in grade school, but I didn't even hear of the incident 'til years after it had happened). I had heard of it, but I had no idea that he was one of the group. So, yeah, if I wanted to, I could interpret that as "ogm, i r sykik", or it could just be coincidence. Anyway, that was the last time I tried reading palms 0.o  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:43 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection

People are stupid. They can't generally think outside of the box themselves. Either that, or they're just too ignorant to want to. Lets say some f*****t goes to a fortune teller because his boss is kicking his a** daily. Let's say the fortune teller draws "Justice". Obviously, the card will tell the f*****t to seek out what is just and fair, and so therefore he'll be encouraged to find a new job. At the same time, if the fortune teller draws "death", it will cause him to consider the benefits of change, communicating the same situation. In sense, any card could potentially be applied to any situation, always bringing about a message that encourages the subject to think outside their comfort zone.

So basically there's no point in tarot card readings, because no matter what card you draw it can be applied to the situation? Or each card could be read as saying "come on, use your common sense here!" I suppose people who can think outside the box and do things that would improve their situation but that they dont really want to do wouldnt go to have their cards read anyway

sorry that was a bit jumbled. It makes sense in my head ><

No, it's not jumbled. It makes sense. I've always thought about it that way, myself.

But I wouldn't say there's no point to it. Yes, it will always be ambiguous and applicable to any situation, regardless of what cards are drawn. But that's enough to help some people think outside the box.

Also, though the cards may say the same thing, they say it in different ways.

Let's say you present a case to a group of 5 judges. You'll get the same message no matter how many judges you present to (assuming the case is black/white enough), but each has a slightly different opinion as to why. Let's say you disagreed with the judges initially. The cards are the same way. So you eventually draw a spread (up to 10 cards) that present the same thing in slightly different ways. Each card also focuses on a different aspect of the problem, such as it's cause, resolution, people influencing it, etc. While it wouldn't help everyone, it's obvious why it helps some people.

Myself, for example. I was raised to be a rather moral person. My parents were fundamentalist, and presented everything in black and white. When ever presented with a cost/benefit analysis of a situation, I'd ignore it and simply say "let's do what's right!". It wasn't until this past year that I've been able to think more pragmatically. Granted, I've been trying to do so for quite some time, and have used the internet as a tool to experiment in such methods of thinking. But I wasn't able to actually apply it to life until very recently.

I imagine the cards can be used in the same way. Alternative reasons, such as the practical reasons behind something, always exist. You may not see them if you're blinded by morality, but the cards (no matter which were drawn) could help draw that to the surface of your conscious mind.

Another way it helps: Some people use the cards to avoid thinking. They want to hear something from them. They don't want to think, and want to make a rushed decision. The cards give such an ambiguous message that you're actually forced to interpret it for yourself, encouraging you think about the situation and actually make the more responsible decision.

Overall, I can see where they have their uses. But that's not why I chose to learn. I really am just doing it for the fun of it. To be a show off, if nothing else. /x/ also claims it's a good skill for picking up girls. xp

so they could be seen kinda like, uh...those things that facilitate reactions but arent used up themselves in them...catalysts! The cards are kind of like catalysts for thought?  

Iconised Ghost

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 pm
Iconised Ghost
so they could be seen kinda like, uh...those things that facilitate reactions but arent used up themselves in them...catalysts! The cards are kind of like catalysts for thought?

That's the way I view them.

I think they are also a gateway to the subconscious, which has the ability to process information in a way that we aren't generally aware of. This, I believe, is explanation for the paranormal events associated with the cards.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 am
I have about 56 tarot decks
raised with em

there's so many ways to read cards its sick

good to s**t brix  

Ravagraid

Feral Sex Symbol

14,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TheBlueWarrior
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:53 pm
Huh, not many people I know also believe that demons exist. Most christians don't like the idea of them. Scares the s**t out of them. I actually wish I knew more about Demonology.

Anyways, I looked at Tarot cards at barnes and noble, I just didn't think it would be anything I liked, though, through your guide I'm a king of pentacles, what ever that means.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:38 pm
Damn it Trevor! I want your deck so bad! (innuendo?)

The art is amazing! Does it have a specific name or anything? Or does it say the maker?  

Artanus

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 pm
Artanus
Damn it Trevor! I want your deck so bad! (innuendo?)

The art is amazing! Does it have a specific name or anything? Or does it say the maker?

It's the Archeon Tarot. http://www.archeontarot.com/ Some bookstores carry it, but not many. I had to order it from Barnes & Noble online.

TheBlueWarrior
Huh, not many people I know also believe that demons exist. Most christians don't like the idea of them. Scares the s**t out of them. I actually wish I knew more about Demonology.

Anyways, I looked at Tarot cards at barnes and noble, I just didn't think it would be anything I liked, though, through your guide I'm a king of pentacles, what ever that means.

Christians who don't believe in Demons? That's hypocrisy right there. According to the Bible, God gave Satan dominion over the Earth until his second coming.

I personally have never chosen to study demonology, as I believe in its power. It's not personally something I plan to mess with. But if you'd like to, feel free to use this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Save the image to your computer, then change the file type from .jpg to .rar. You should be able to figure it out from there.

*edit: Had to move the file from photobucket to imageshack because it's rather large

Also: The pentacles represent business and trade, which is why they are often called coins. The king of pentacles is often considered the one dedicated to his business.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:32 pm
Hm interesting and kinda freaky on your part xd I have never gotten a tarot card reading, mostly cause they wanted to charge me out the wazzoo D< Damned... *insert race here*  

churrlo

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:29 am
Awiergan Resurrection

I personally have never chosen to study demonology, as I believe in its power. It's not personally something I plan to mess with.

I'm sort of in the same boat there, although I dont believe in demons per say, I certainly dont go around tempting fate. I dont walk under ladders, I dont walk on graves (you know, the whole "you s**t on someone, and they're gonna s**t on you" idea)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 pm
Alright, thanks to Trevor, I was playing around with my Tarot cards, and was also thinking of my friend. I'm kinda confusing myself and arguing myself over our relationship. I don't feel like getting into it. SO, I did I red the situation on the tarot cards. Past, Present, Future.

Past: Lovers: This surprised me, because that's the notion I've been pondering. Love. Even more interesting:the meaning of this cards, is one faced with an unexplained, in-understandable, all powerful force, that you dare not defy. Confusing, yet influences your actions. Muh how I feel about her. Confusing and compelling.

Present: Four of Rods:
This is one, finally coming at peace with a relationship or project. Like laying a stable foundation that allows you to sit back and relax. This made sense, because I feel like she's having and easier time hanging around with me, now, because she doesn't have that easy of a time with most.

Future: Hanged Man: Confused the hell out of me. "This is a time of trial or meditation, selflessness, sacrifice, prophecy. The Querent stops resisting; instead he makes himself vulnerable, sacrifices his position or opposition, and in doing so, gains illumination." I get the meaning, I just can't put it into context.

That's why I posted this. I need someone to help apply it to the situation.  

Artanus

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces