Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Holocaust T_T Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jews?
  Great People!
View Results

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:08 pm
Iconised Ghost
Sheer_Immortal
It wasn't just the Jews, either. Gypsies, gays, the "differently-abled," I think Russians too, plus other groups I can't remember...pretty much everyone who didn't fit his view of the ideal human. Not to mention people who didn't agree with his view of the ideal human. And I remember reading something about sexual mutilations, medical experiments of "questionable" ethics, and forced sterilizations, too. Yeah. Overall, not a pleasant part of history, to say the very least 0.o

I remember having to watch a movie about the Holocaust when I was in school, too. I cried. It's one thing to see dead bodies in movies when they're fake, but real bodies in movies...0.0

Questionable ethics is a bit of an understatement. The Nazi's tried to make conjoined twins by sewing twins together. They also tested how low body temperature could drop before people died. And they infected people with numerous diseases to test different treatments. The questionable thing about their ethics is whether they actually had any recognisable ones
Honestly, some of the things that you just said, would make very good sense to do, now they may be morally wrong, but besides that, they would be great benefits in the name of science. In fact, if it weren't for the millions of dead they left in their wake, they could have had a great scientific community. Too bad it would most likely end up like Rapture in Bioshock, everyone going insane and killing each other because of genetic enhancements. xd

But honestly, their civilization can't be viewed as entirely bad, I'm sure that there were great things that came out of it, like... umm... the Volkswagon? Okay, honestly, even though I was taught that there is no such thing as black and white in history, Hitler did very little that was even close to being morally good. But, the man's mind was broken, so what is to be expected? Honestly, he ranks very high on my list of the greatest world leaders of all time just because of what he could get people to do. I mean, just imagine if he didn't have those mental issues, he could have done really great things.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost
Sheer_Immortal
It wasn't just the Jews, either. Gypsies, gays, the "differently-abled," I think Russians too, plus other groups I can't remember...pretty much everyone who didn't fit his view of the ideal human. Not to mention people who didn't agree with his view of the ideal human. And I remember reading something about sexual mutilations, medical experiments of "questionable" ethics, and forced sterilizations, too. Yeah. Overall, not a pleasant part of history, to say the very least 0.o

I remember having to watch a movie about the Holocaust when I was in school, too. I cried. It's one thing to see dead bodies in movies when they're fake, but real bodies in movies...0.0

Questionable ethics is a bit of an understatement. The Nazi's tried to make conjoined twins by sewing twins together. They also tested how low body temperature could drop before people died. And they infected people with numerous diseases to test different treatments. The questionable thing about their ethics is whether they actually had any recognisable ones

Honestly, some of the things that you just said, would make very good sense to do, now they may be morally wrong, but besides that, they would be great benefits in the name of science. In fact, if it weren't for the millions of dead they left in their wake, they could have had a great scientific community. Too bad it would most likely end up like Rapture in Bioshock, everyone going insane and killing each other because of genetic enhancements. xd

But honestly, their civilization can't be viewed as entirely bad, I'm sure that there were great things that came out of it, like... umm... the Volkswagon? Okay, honestly, even though I was taught that there is no such thing as black and white in history, Hitler did very little that was even close to being morally good. But, the man's mind was broken, so what is to be expected? Honestly, he ranks very high on my list of the greatest world leaders of all time just because of what he could get people to do. I mean, just imagine if he didn't have those mental issues, he could have done really great things.

If we were looking purely to find scientific knowledge, then yes the things mentioned above are important things to do. However, other things that were reportedly done to people by the nazis were not (the point of sewing twins together, injecting kidneys with horse urine, and doing vivisections while people are alive and un-anaesthetised evades me). They could have had a great scientific community, if they didnt keep killing people in largely torturously ways.

The only "good" thing to come out of it, IMO, is the scientific knowledge that we have now. Even then, the cost of that knowledge outweighs the benefits to a certain degree  

Iconised Ghost

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:33 pm
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost
Sheer_Immortal

If we were looking purely to find scientific knowledge, then yes the things mentioned above are important things to do. However, other things that were reportedly done to people by the nazis were not (the point of sewing twins together, injecting kidneys with horse urine, and doing vivisections while people are alive and un-anaesthetised evades me). They could have had a great scientific community, if they didnt keep killing people in largely torturously ways.

The only "good" thing to come out of it, IMO, is the scientific knowledge that we have now. Even then, the cost of that knowledge outweighs the benefits to a certain degree
With all but the sewing bit, I can see a point to doing the other two.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:52 pm
Could you expand on what you think the point is? I really cant see why you would need to do live vivisections without anaesthetic. They also injected twins eyes with chemicals to see if they would change colour- apart from curiousity, I cant think of a medical benefit to the outcomes of such an experiment  

Iconised Ghost

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:54 am
Iconised Ghost
Could you expand on what you think the point is? I really cant see why you would need to do live vivisections without anaesthetic. They also injected twins eyes with chemicals to see if they would change colour- apart from curiousity, I cant think of a medical benefit to the outcomes of such an experiment
I know what they were trying to find out with it, they were trying to discover how much pain a human body could have it put through until they eventually died. Yes, the way they did it was quite gruesome, but that could be fairly useful knowledge. Not that I condone what they did, they were sick, but if their methods had been just a tiny bit less horrific, then what they were learning could have possible been viewed as breakthroughs, but of course, they sort of crossed the line, so it will always be viewed as just being torture.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:07 am
Wow. eek Lots of words to read.

Today we had the test on all this stuff, and I think I passed. We also had to memorize the dates that Hitler did all this stuff leading up to the war, and when we bombed Hiroshima. I am so glad most of it's over, but now we get to watch another video on Monday. crying  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 am
Midori Hayashi

Today we had the test on all this stuff, and I think I passed. We also had to memorize the dates that Hitler did all this stuff leading up to the war, and when we bombed Hiroshima. I am so glad most of it's over, but now we get to watch another video on Monday. crying
What is the new video on?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 am
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi

Still the Holocaust. But a new angle of the Camps.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:52 am
Midori Hayashi
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi

Are you guys going to look at the internment camps in the US?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:26 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi

I have no idea. She teaches random things. We are actually learning about all this in Language Arts, not Social Studies like usual.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:46 pm
Midori Hayashi
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi
[Tsukasa567]
Midori Hayashi

I have no idea. She teaches random things. We are actually learning about all this in Language Arts, not Social Studies like usual.
Well, then I doubt you will, at least in that class.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost
I know what they were trying to find out with it, they were trying to discover how much pain a human body could have it put through until they eventually died. Yes, the way they did it was quite gruesome, but that could be fairly useful knowledge. Not that I condone what they did, they were sick, but if their methods had been just a tiny bit less horrific, then what they were learning could have possible been viewed as breakthroughs, but of course, they sort of crossed the line, so it will always be viewed as just being torture.

And the thing with the eyes?
Im sure there are other ways to test people's reaction to pain. I mean, if they really wanted to use human subjects then they could have put them in pain without chopping them up bit by bit O.o The mental anguish there must have been so awful (and from a scientific pov might have confounded their results >.< )

We never learnt anything about the internment camps at high school here  

Iconised Ghost

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:26 pm
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost

Im sure there are other ways to test people's reaction to pain. I mean, if they really wanted to use human subjects then they could have put them in pain without chopping them up bit by bit O.o The mental anguish there must have been so awful (and from a scientific pov might have confounded their results >.< )

Who knows? I'm not trying to defend them, just saying that I can understand why they might do some of the things that they did. And the internment camps were basically the same thing as concentration camps, minus the tourture, same fundamentals though.

Really, if the Germans would have won WW2, then they wouldn't be monsters, and we would be the monsters, especially if we were still able to drop the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Heads would have rolled for that one, possibly the internment camps as well, but, since history is written by the victors, we ended up as heroes.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:50 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost

Who knows? I'm not trying to defend them, just saying that I can understand why they might do some of the things that they did. And the internment camps were basically the same thing as concentration camps, minus the tourture, same fundamentals though.

Really, if the Germans would have won WW2, then they wouldn't be monsters, and we would be the monsters, especially if we were still able to drop the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Heads would have rolled for that one, possibly the internment camps as well, but, since history is written by the victors, we ended up as heroes.

yup history is indeed written by those who win. You only have to look at what the british did to some of their war prisoners to see that no side was really "good"

I only found out about the internment camps when i listening to that song about mike shinoda's father by Fort Minor xd then i looked them up and did my own research. Seriously hadnt heard anything about them before that though, which is odd  

Iconised Ghost

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:48 pm
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost
[Tsukasa567]
Iconised Ghost

yup history is indeed written by those who win. You only have to look at what the british did to some of their war prisoners to see that no side was really "good"

I only found out about the internment camps when i listening to that song about mike shinoda's father by Fort Minor xd then i looked them up and did my own research. Seriously hadnt heard anything about them before that though, which is odd
There really is no such thing as good or evil when it comes to history.

I heard about them back in like, fifth grade, but didn't know what they really were for a long time. In fact, I didn't actually know what they were until around the time that song came out. xd  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff